tips on installing boss grills in your v-6 2013 mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
tips on installing boss grills in your v-6 2013 mustang

I had my appearance mods all planned out before my special order
mustang had even been built yet, and purchased BOSS grills for my car long before
it was built. While waiting for the car to come in, I started researching the easiest
ways to replace the grills in the top of the front end and in the lower part of the bumper. Everything I read online said that you have to remove the front bumper to
get the old grills out. I looked at the retaining tabs on the BOSS grills and noticed
that they are quite flexible and don't have a sharp retention edge on them. It looked
to me like you could give the old grills a sharp yank and they would come out.
When the car came in I set about changing out the grills. The first thing I noticed
was that the grills fit tight to openings on the edges and if I yanked them out, I would need to protect all paintedl surfaces with masking tape so the grills wouldn't
scratch the bumper paint on the way out. I proceeded to apply masking tape right against the edges of the old grills and all the way across any area of the bumper that
the grill could contact on the way out. I then noticed that the v-6 grills have such
small openings in them that I couldn't get my fingers all the way through them to
get a good enough grip to yank the grill out. This was not the case with the lower
grill so I tried it first. I gave it a hard yank with my left hand a third of the way
from the edge on the passenger side and my right hand a third of the way from the
edge on the driver's side, yanking straight out. The grill popped out with no damage to the grill, but it would have scratched the paint if not for the masking tape I had applied, I then decided that I couldn't get a good enough grip on the upper grill to yank it out and decided that the stock v-6 grill had no real value anyway and not wanting to have to remove the bumper, I cut some access holes
for my fingers with diagonal cutters so I could get a good grip and proceeded to
yank it out. The upper one took several hard yanks to release as it was harder
to remove than the lower one had been. I then left the masking tape in place and
installed the new grills, which only took 30 seconds, they pop in effortlessly.
If you don't mind destroying your original upper grill I think this is the way to go
on the grill swap. I did the whole job in 20 minutes start to finish. If you decide
to do the swap this way, I can't stress enough that you have to protect all painted
surfaces in the vicinity of the grills with masking tape, including the inner lip
at the top of the grill that you can't see when standing up.The last step is to remove all the masking tape and you are done. While on this subject, I think that
Ford's price on those grills is outrageous, especially the lower one that lists for
about 700.00 and that cost me about 580.00 if memory serves me with my car
repair shop discount from the dealer. Now that 's some expensive molded plastic!
GRREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Pics?
Old 06-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Talking

I assume you mean pics of the procedure......I took no pics
that day. For pics of the end result of course you could look at any stock
BOSS 302 photo.
GRREEN is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang