Shake down cruise. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #1

Region: Canada
Shake down cruise.

I had been holding off taking my new '14 for any kind of trip until I got 3M Xpel clear paint protection installed, which was done last Thursday. On Saturday morning I took of for a bit of a run with no direction or destination in mind. I spent 13 hours behind the wheel on Saturday and by the time I got home on Sunday had covered over 1800 km (1100 miles).

I'll admit that when I picked the car up from the dealer about a month ago I did have quite a bit of buyers remorse. I've been a Volkswagen (air cooled Beetles and transporters, diesel Jettas) guy for a long, long time. A Mustang is a real departure for me. I wondered if my desire for the car had something to do with compensating for my all too quick advance toward retirement

After getting back home I can safely say that the Mustang is an incredible car and I have fallen head over heels for it. I'm blown away at how versatile and well rounded it is in stock form. It moves out pretty darn well, cruises the freeways very nicely, handles the twisty's better than I expected, the fuel mileage was well beyond what I had hoped for and the car just looks incredible. I can't stop looking at it... every time I start walking away I have to turn and take a look.

Yes, there will be mods. I will do the exhaust, CAI and tune. I'm thinking about beefing up the suspension and putting in a strut brace. Possibly change the gears... I'm not sure about anything to do with the body though, maybe louvers... I kind of like the sleeper look.

I was going to use this car as a year round daily driver but now I'm thinking I might have to buy a winter beater... It just looks too good to put through all that sand, salt and snow!

Croxford
Croxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Don't garage it....continue to drive it! I too am a huge fan and past owner of air cooled VW's; my last was a type 181 ("Thing" to the U.S.), That one now sits in a cold war museum in Korea after my 2 year restoration I did on it. Took a long time to track down all the German radio equipment it had when it was originally owned by the Swedish army.

I currently have over 47K on my 2011 Mustang; I drive it daily, and plan to keep it in the best of shape for its ownership with me. Anyone can buy a car and make it a garage queen, then brag on how great it looks; it takes a dedicated owner to drive it for what it was made to do, and keep it running and looking good. Don't worry, Ford will continue to make more.

Glad to have you aboard. Enjoy the Mustang!
Old 06-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #3

Thanks for the wisdom bucko! I know once I get comfortable in my 'relationship' with the car my thoughts will change. Better to put the money allocated for a beater into the Mustang!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I can't remember if it was here or on another Mustang site where a V6 Mustang owner (earlier model) had over 250K miles on his V6 Mustang, and was about to swap out the tired engine! I was glad to hear of this, even if it was on the earlier V6.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Drive it. My last one I hardly drove and had a winter car too. I am pissed I did not enjoy it more while I had it. Carroll Shelby said it best. "These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean.

Congrats on your new DAILY ride.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Congrats on the new Mustang and welcome to ME! A lot of great Mustang owners on this site that will help with pretty much everything.

Don't garage it! I'm a big advocate of driving the 3.7 year round based on the sole fact that it's a great all around car. The HP, handling, MPGs, stability, why wouldn't you to drive it all year?!

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
Drive it. My last one I hardly drove and had a winter car too. I am pissed I did not enjoy it more while I had it. Carroll Shelby said it best. "These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean.

Congrats on your new DAILY ride.
Love it. Caroll Shelby's quote just became my new signature.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #8

Without a doubt this is the nicest car I've ever owned so I think it's only natural to want to preserve it - at least in the beginning. I actually found my first (gasp!) blemish on it today. I must've been hit by a rock on the weekend. I thought it was a flaw in the 3M job but sure enough on the hood there is a small tear where a rock pierced the Xpel and did scratch the paint. It is very, very small and not really noticeable. I took it back to the installer and they put a small circle of material over the tear so water and dirt wouldn't get underneath. I thought that stuff was pretty much indestructible but obviously not. It must have been a sharp rock... Anyway now that the car isn't pristine anymore I can just drive it and let it age as it should. Bring on winter!
Old 06-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Everyone should know this

A Mustang needs a lot of exercise

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Love it. Caroll Shelby's quote just became my new signature.
Awesome.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I don't mind driving my car through anything, except for salt. I've seen it eat away so many cars, especially my last Grand Prix, which was from Ohio. Otherwise, I drive the heck out of mine. 12k miles on the odo, coming up on it's first anniversary next month, and no sign of stopping yet!.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
A Mustang needs a lot of exercise

Ronnie
Too true!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
[QUOTE=bucko;1676004]I can't remember if it was here or on another Mustang site where a V6 Mustang owner (earlier model) had over 250K miles on his V6 Mustang, and was about to swap out the tired engine! I was glad to hear of this, even if it was on the earlier V6.[/QUOT

Trust me dude, I am happy with the car I have, I going to keep beefing up the car around the engine. (Working the trainy now, suspension is next.) I push it hard and I love it! When I run this eng into the dirt, I will put in a Ford Crate V8 from Jegs. I already have the one I want scoped out (340hp to the crank!). I've owned several V8s all of them were mid 80s and early 70s, this is by FAR the fastest car I have ever owned! I'm keeping it forever and driving it like I'm racing! jk on that part!
ricbjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Like Lee Iacocca said in his interview in 1974

What he said was:
Quote:
The Mustang was named after the western United States wild horses--NOT the football team, NOT the Airplane but the wild horse.
I say " A Mustang needs to have a whole lot of exercise and be loved and kept clean and nice."

For you youngsters that may not know it, Lee Iacocca was the man that came up with the concept of this small sporty looking car. He is known as the father of the Ford Mustang. Carrol Shelby made them into real muscle cars when Lee asked for help.

The car with the longest continuous heritage is the Corvette, The second is our Mustang. I like Corvettes but I love my Mustang.

Ronnie

PS: If you want to see the interview get the original "Gone in 60 seconds" starring H.B. (Toby) Halicki from 1974.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang