Need Wisdom - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Need Wisdom

Since I live in a state, California, where I cannot install LT headers, I am thinking of getting shorties for the minimal gain but mainly the sound. Along with that maybe do some work on the exterior like gun metal racing stripes. Since I am more concerned about power should I just focus on under the hood first and wait on the exterior? If so what else can I do to a vehicle that has less rights than Charles Manson. I do have a Steeda CAI, tuner, and 3.73 gears.
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Missxalii
Why can't you install LT headers? I believe I can as long as I have cats, but alas I do not follow state vehicle laws on a daily basis so I can't help you there. I love my aesthetics so I would do minor appearance mods but concentrate most of your money towards performance if that's what you're more interested in. You have the basics down. A full exhaust would be the next step. I would also recommend a ratchet swifter. My next move will probably be a new posi or an intake manifold.
Missxalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
just move...) i live in florida now, but I lived in vt my whole life and its the same there the inspections and crap sucked, but florida anything goes
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
just move...) i live in florida now, but I lived in vt my whole life and its the same there the inspections and crap sucked, but florida anything goes
They dont even check emissions or for cats??
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post

They dont even check emissions or for cats??
nope. catless baby!

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by acornsmoke View Post

nope. catless baby!
sounds to good not to have. sorry Mother Earth I still love you
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I would love to move to a place where a vehicle can be modded freely without discrimination,unfortunately Cali is where I am at and I must comply.

LT Headers with CATS are not CARB exempt. I know I tried to do it that way but even BBK told me that LT's will never be CARB exempt in Cali. I know I can do it and get away with it for five years but I dont the future hassle.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamp1 View Post
I would love to move to a place where a vehicle can be modded freely without discrimination,unfortunately Cali is where I am at and I must comply.

LT Headers with CATS are not CARB exempt. I know I tried to do it that way but even BBK told me that LT's will never be CARB exempt in Cali. I know I can do it and get away with it for five years but I dont the future hassle.
Arkansas.
United States Air Force
Bonnie12V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Get it & just swap it out later when u have to get or checked! I live in Cali too & my next mod is gonna be an o/r h pipe! Thug life!!! Lmao. U can also look a spot to pass if for u if u know what I mean! Its more of a hassle but it can be done! There's a lot of people in Cali doing catless & LT headers just gotta find ways around it!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
South Carolina anything goes as long as they are not headers and that rule only applies to within city limits
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I need to move 30 min away into sc...
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:00 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by acornsmoke View Post
nope. catless baby!

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

sounds to good not to have. sorry Mother Earth I still love you
Removing and running "catless" has nothing to do with state laws...it's a federal law you break when you run without them. Good luck when you go to sell the car, either to a private buyer or dealer. They can and will come after you for a 30K fine, plus you'll have to buy the vehicle back.

Three years ago my son sold his "catless" Subaru WRX to a private individual. Sold it with the usual "as is" paperwork. Two weeks later he was served papers from the new owner. That owner went to register the car in their state (who unfortunately had an inspection), and the car was unable to register in that state because of the removed cats. Long story short, my son had to buy the vehicle back, and lucky for him, did not have to pay the 30K fine, as we got a lawyer and plead basically ignorance.

If you remove your cats, keep them for reinstall when you trade it in or sell it. A dealer cannot take a catless vehicle on trade and sell it either unless they install cats on it. They too can be fined and forced to refund the deal.

For the record, you gain nothing performance wise by removing them, other then noise. Avoid the hassle of having to reinstall when selling the vehicle. It's not worth it.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Anything goes in my town (Clinton, Tennessee). I wish we had some kind of safety inspection. I see so many cars and trucks on the road that should be junked and crushed.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie12V6 View Post

Arkansas.
North Carolina had been great!
Reghalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfan100 View Post
South Carolina anything goes as long as they are not headers and that rule only applies to within city limits
+ 1 I love greenville, SC!!!!
BorlaGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Removing and running "catless" has nothing to do with state laws...it's a federal law you break when you run without them. Good luck when you go to sell the car, either to a private buyer or dealer. They can and will come after you for a 30K fine, plus you'll have to buy the vehicle back.

Three years ago my son sold his "catless" Subaru WRX to a private individual. Sold it with the usual "as is" paperwork. Two weeks later he was served papers from the new owner. That owner went to register the car in their state (who unfortunately had an inspection), and the car was unable to register in that state because of the removed cats. Long story short, my son had to buy the vehicle back, and lucky for him, did not have to pay the 30K fine, as we got a lawyer and plead basically ignorance.

If you remove your cats, keep them for reinstall when you trade it in or sell it. A dealer cannot take a catless vehicle on trade and sell it either unless they install cats on it. They too can be fined and forced to refund the deal.

For the record, you gain nothing performance wise by removing them, other then noise. Avoid the hassle of having to reinstall when selling the vehicle. It's not worth it.
Bucko,
How do you feel about Shorty's for the V6?, Coming soon hopefully. I still see the pre order on AM. Will that at least make a difference in throttle response and not just noise?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorlaGt View Post

+ 1 I love greenville, SC!!!!
Dude I'm in Greer lol
Old 06-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Dude I'm in Greer lol
Nice..... I'm in Travelers rest actually lol....

Going to the show at Texas Roadhouse sat?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

you really don't believe a free flowing exhaust will create anymore power? I find that hard to believe and from what I've heard it def will increase your power somewhat.
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #19
ME Bloodhound
Staff

stock headers flow fine, invest that money elsewhere. If you want Catless then get an o/r midpipe, bolt it up and then when it's time for smog take 30 minutes out of your day to bolt up the stock one again. That's exactly what I did.

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

Quote:

So picking up an extra 1-2mph in the 1/4 mile had nothing to do with the cats after I changed my midpipe? Ok I guess some mythical being gave that to me.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorlaGt View Post

Nice..... I'm in Travelers rest actually lol....

Going to the show at Texas Roadhouse sat?
Dude I'm setting it up. Lol
Old 06-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Dude I'm setting it up. Lol
Awesome! I will see you there! As long as it doesn't rain haha
Old 06-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #22
Admin

Supporter
Admin

The cats used on todays performance vehicles already flow very well; much better then those monolith ones of the 70's and 80's. While you may think you'll gain an extra MPG (I doubt the very small increase in exhaust flow will do this with the cats removed) the risk of the fine is simply not worth it. While you may not have a state inspection, a police officer could inspect the vehicle, and issue a federal fine against you. Police don't have time to do this, so thats in your favor.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #23
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamp1 View Post
Bucko,
How do you feel about Shorty's for the V6?, Coming soon hopefully. I still see the pre order on AM. Will that at least make a difference in throttle response and not just noise?
Shorties are a good replacement for stock headers for ease of replacement when a stock header has a crack in it for example. They also have a nice under the hood look, and I'll venture a guess that they may offer a nice rumble, as the tubes are balanced/lengthened a bit better over stock, in some vehicle cases.

The good thing here is that the Ford engineers did a really good job to get the intake flow good, and the exhaust flow good for a stock setup. Most folks dislike the looks of the upper intake manifold, but it flows air great, as the intake tube runners are long to produce an even flow of non turbulent air.

Same with the stock exhaust headers. To get 305 HP, the engineers did a good job here as well. So, installing shorty headers will not gain you much over the stock setup. But yes, they look nicer under the hood, and you may get a bit of rumble with them over the stock setup. So do they flow better than stock headers? Most likely yes, but I could not tell you for sure. Are they worth changing out? It depends on what you want; do you want looks, or do you want performance? If performance, is it worth the money spent to gain perhaps only a small improvement over stock?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang