Winter tire talk - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #1

Region: Canada
Winter tire talk

In preparation for winter I've been getting some quotes on tires (Michelin X3i, Bridgestone Blizzak WS 70 and others.). I'm getting frustrated with tire shops... they don't want to sell me a narrower tire or won't listen to what I'm looking for. It's basically " this is what we'll sell you, take it or leave it".
I've got the Pony Package and run the 235/50R18's. I want to go to the stock 17" size tires and winter rims 215/60R17.

My question here is: what size winter tires are you running?

And yes, the 215/60R17 is available in both tires quoted above.

Thanks for your input!

Croxford
Croxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I got a set of 235/50/18s of Blizzaks off of Craigslist last Fall for $500 to slap on my stock PP rims. They're in great shape with only a season and a half on them. I started trolling the CL pages early Fall for a set of winter tires and would recommend doing that before buying a new set!

As far as the quality of the tires, amazing. I live in Chicago and we got hit pretty good, especially later in the season this year, and I didn't have a single problem. Now a good portion of that is based on the driver and their habits, but I didn't have a issue running the 235s.

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Put your Mustang in storage for the winter. Then buy a 4x4 truck to drive in winter.
rangerbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerbert View Post
Put your Mustang in storage for the winter. Then buy a 4x4 truck to drive in winter.
Thanks, but no. I just traded in an '11 Ranger on the Mustang. In the 85000 km I put on that I can honestly say I never needed 4 wheel drive. The only time I did need 4x4 was when I lived in the bush many years ago and had to cut firewood for heat... Besides, I don't have the money or the space for two vehicles. I was considering a winter beater in another thread but realistically, it doesn't make sense in my situation. When I started driving 40 years ago 4 wheel drive was for the army and the few hardcore folks that could get it. I spent years driving up and down to ski hills armed with rwd and sand bags in the trunk. Winter conditions back then we're more severe than I live with now. These days the roads are maintained far better, we have limited slip diffs, traction control, tires that are engineered for winter conditions etc. No, a 4x4 of any sort just isn't on my radar.

Croxford
Old 06-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I've seen 4 by 4's slip & slide in the same snow I happily cruised in my Pony.
The ability to drive easily beats all wheel drive any day.
Yankytyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #6

My Ranger had 4x4 decals on it but with two open diffs it really was only two wheel drive.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I've found that in October the prices are pretty good especially if there is no snow on the ground. Summertime tire places don't stock the full range of snow tires. I bought my Firestone winter force from tire rack along with tpms and a set of wheels. Came mounted and balanced just swapped out the summer set myself. Tires were 106 each and the whole deal was about 1100. With about 150# weight added to car I had no probs driving over snow covered roads. Went with tire rack recommended size tire.
jomcgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomcgui View Post
. Went with tire rack recommended size tire.
Could you tell me what size they recommended?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Is it some sort of local ruling or law that a tire shop where you are can refuse to sell you a tire combination, due to it being a risk on the road? I'm confused here, as I have never had a vendor refuse to order what I wanted unless it was against local or federal laws.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #10

I think they are just trying to sell me a more expensive tire. They all make it look like some sort of top secret calculations they are using. I know speed and weight ratings are not the issue as they are all over the map. Comparing sizes they want to sell to what I want to put on (through on line vendors) there's about a $50.00 difference per tire. In some cases more. I'm trying very hard to keep my money in the local economy but....
Old 06-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
P215/65r17 98s Bridgestone winterforce

Tire rack has the the online tool to find what matches your specific vehicle. I have the performance pack on my mustang so that might make a difference in tire/wheel options.
jomcgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #12

Thank you. That's the size that no one wants to sell me up here... Without explanation. I've requested a quote for that size in Bridgestone, Michelin and Hakkepellita but the shops keep coming back with a quote for a more expensive tire size. When I get home next week I've got some lesser known shops to talk to. If I can't get satisfaction, then it will be 1010tires.com. They're the Canadian equivalent of Tirerack.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

What do you guys think about Michelin defenders?
Kustumb is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang