Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Drivetrain care

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  bucko 
#1 ·
Ok so my mustang just hit the big 75,000. I'm wondering is there anything I should do that I'm not already doing to ensure a long, strong life out of my v6.

I crank and let it sit till the Rpm drop.

Drive it under/at 2,000 rpm until engine is at proper operating temp.

Change oil and filter every 5,000 miles.

A redline a day keeps the mechanic away.

Always keep tank full, by that I mean only going to 1/4 tank then filling up.

Rarely light the tires.

I'm hard on brakes, already warped the rotors slightly.

Anything else besides washing and such every Saturday or so?

#7 · (Edited)
Your in that grey zone for the trans fluid swap. Lots of people say to never change the trans fluid unless you start early and do it often. The thinking is similar to swapping an old car from conventional to synthetic oil... The new oil is going to loosen up any deposits from the old oil. Those deposits could break off and clog up essential passages in the trans. So swapping trans fluid could hurt you or help you.

If you do decide to do the trans fluid swap you should find a place that has a machine capable of flushing all gears and shifting through the trans. Lots of places will pull the drain plug, pull the trans fluid pan, empty them out, bolt it back up then refill the trans...... Wrong wrong wrong. The torque converter holds a ton of fluid that can't be gotten out that way and neither can fluid in the internal transmission passages. If the shop doesn't own the machine to properly flush the trans then you are just mixing old fluid with new fluid and That's not doing you any good.

Other things to look at would be break pads and break fluid. Check radiator coolant. Check you sit filter (engine and cabin). Simple things like that

#8 ·
Your in that grey zone for the trans fluid swap. Lots of people say to never change the trans fluid unless you start early and do it often. The thinking is similar to swapping an old car from conventional to synthetic oil... The new oil is going to loosen up any deposits from the old oil. Those deposits could break off and clog up essential passages in the trans. So swapping trans fluid could hurt you or help you.

If you do decide to do the trans fluid swap you should find a place that has a machine capable of flushing all gears and shifting through the trans. Lots of places will pull the drain plug, pull the trans fluid pan, empty them out, bolt it back up then refill the trans...... Wrong wrong wrong. The torque converter holds a ton of fluid that can't be gotten out that way and neither can fluid in the internal transmission passages. If the shop doesn't own the machine to properly flush the trans then you are just mixing old fluid with new fluid and That's not doing you any good.

Other things to look at would be break pads and break fluid. Check radiator coolant. Check you sit filter (engine and cabin). Simple things like that
Do we have a cabin filter? I'm buying a cold air intake when the time comes to replace my air filter which is bout another oil change from now

#12 ·
If you plan long term mileage from your vehicle, you should look into some "old school" type maintenance. Automatic transmissions have what Ford and others call "lifetime" oil, which is really nonsense. I've always had a transmission shop flush mine at 30K intervals. My F150 currently has 230K on it's ariginal automatic, and it's never gevin me grieve. My 2011 Mustang is approaching it's second flush (I have 51K, and it will get it's second flush at 60K).

My rear diff gets changed every 50K. It had its first a few K ago.

Engine oil gets changed every 10K; I use full synthetic and take advantage of the full synthetics ability to go extended mileage between oil changes.

I've been using this maintenance schedule for many years on previous vehicles, and have not had issues with engine or transmission internals.

Don't forget your engine coolant; drain and refill around 50K. Also your brake fluid; that should be changed every two years at the minimum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.