messed my gears up! need help! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
messed my gears up! need help!

I have 3.73 gears and they are giving off this high pitch whine. it's bad on acceleration and even worse on deceleration. back when I got them installed I didn't listen to the rule: baby it for around 3-400 miles and it had a slight whine to it but it has gotten significantly worse. I'm afraid I might have to replace them. any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
I have 3.73 gears and they are giving off this high pitch whine. it's bad on acceleration and even worse on deceleration. back when I got them installed I didn't listen to the rule: baby it for around 3-400 miles and it had a slight whine to it but it has gotten significantly worse. I'm afraid I might have to replace them. any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I'm having 3.55s installed in a week and I'm planning on breaking them in. The whine can't be undone I'm pretty sure, unless you replace.
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post

I'm having 3.55s installed in a week and I'm planning on breaking them in. The whine can't be undone I'm pretty sure, unless you replace.
fml bro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Did you get the fluid changed after 500?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
Did you get the fluid changed after 500?
no. would that make a significant difference?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

no. would that make a significant difference?
It's supposed to get all possible metal shavings out of the diff. It maybe could have an effect. I'll ask my guy
Old 06-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
First off. Change the fluid. Make sure u use friction modifier too. Did u install them? If so I will make suggestions but if not then bring it to the installer asap and have him.check the wear pattern to make sure it is shimmed properly. Stop driving it until u can get it checked. If u installed them u need to get gear compound and check the wear pattern and make sure u set the pinion depth correct and shimmed everything spot on. I will say I have had gear sets that were.correct.in every way but still whined. Drove them for many years without any issues. Just because they whine, though annoying - does not mean they are going to be a problem in the near future. It might be if they are shimmed and setup wrong.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
First off. Change the fluid. Make sure u use friction modifier too. Did u install them? If so I will make suggestions but if not then bring it to the installer asap and have him.check the wear pattern to make sure it is shimmed properly. Stop driving it until u can get it checked. If u installed them u need to get gear compound and check the wear pattern and make sure u set the pinion depth correct and shimmed everything spot on. I will say I have had gear sets that were.correct.in every way but still whined. Drove them for many years without any issues. Just because they whine, though annoying - does not mean they are going to be a problem in the near future. It might be if they are shimmed and setup wrong.
I had friend who owns a shop install them. it's not just whine anymore. on deceleration it sounds like its going to break apart. I'm not exaggerating.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:07 AM   #9
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
I had friend who owns a shop install them. it's not just whine anymore. on deceleration it sounds like its going to break apart. I'm not exaggerating.
That sounds like the issue I had on my old '05 GT. Unusually loud whine at all times and then almost like a "whomp whomp whomp" type of sound on deceleration. Get it checked out ASAP because mine ended up being ring gear bolts backing out because the idiot who installed them forgot the loctite. The heads of three of them actually broke off and were laying at the bottom of the differential when we opened up the cover.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
I would certainly stop driving the car. At this point, take it to another shop (do not mean to show disrespect to your friends shop, but something was not done right at this one). I'm betting that the gear wear pattern is going to indicate that this gear setup will need replacement.

Get it done ASAP before you get fragments breaking off, causing more damage, or worse, locking up and causing you damage in the way of an accident.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

What brand gears? Frpp? I know a few years back everyone was swearing to only use frpp. A lot of people had issues with motive brand gears whining..
Old 06-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I do have frpp. I can't stop driving the car cuz I have work and I'm out at TCU. are you saying I should just take it to a local shop?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

well if it sounds like it is breaking apart I wouldnt drive it as it could lock up and spin you around and cause an accident. I would either take it in or pull the cover off and inspect the pinion gear and ring gear to make sure all the teeth are there and that it does not have any fractures etc. put it up on a lift or jack stands and spin it to be sure everything is in tact and check the bottom of the housing for chunks of metal etc. if it looks good then fill it with gear oil and friction modifier fluid (i would go cheap on the fluid as you will be doing it again when you bring it to your friend) and get it to your friends shop so he can go for a drive to diagnose it and check it all out. also, check your driveshaft. make sure the bolts are tight etc. could be that as they needed to disconnect it to do the gear install.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang