Dealership problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Dealership problems

So Yesterday I went to autozone and I was going to buy oil to self change and right when I was about to pay the Manager told me if you self change your oil some Dealerships don't like that so he told me to called then so I did and they said they can void my Warranty if I self change the oil saying if I mess up
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Somewhat true, meaning if you use the wrong grade of oil (viscosity), and/or the wrong amount, then a dealership could deny a warranty claim. As long as you are able to do this maintenance, then I see no problems performing an oil change. As long as you use the grade and SAE rated oil as indicated in your owners manual, you are safe. Keep your reciepts as a record to prove the oil was changed.

Find a new parts store to do business with.

Here are a few links to make you rest assured:

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....ce&subject=oil

http://www.cartalk.com/content/chang...under-warranty
Old 06-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
This is total bunk! A dealership cannot deny a warranty claim due to someone else performing an oil change. As long as you use the grade and SAE rated oil as indicated in your owners manual, you are safe. Keep your reciepts as a record to prove the oil was changed.

Find a new parts store to do business with.

Here are a few links to make you rest assured:

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....ce&subject=oil

http://www.cartalk.com/content/chang...under-warranty
That the thing I went to autozone and he pull all the Information up on the car and he took me to go get it I all I know remember it was mobile one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Anybody can help me on this?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I'm a ford technician and yes the parts store is correct and for good reason. While under warranty it's best to take it in, and it's usually cheaper than you can buy the oil and filter for yourself anyways plus we check out the rest of the car. I've never seen a dealer I've worked for get that technical but it's a possibility If you'd rather do your own work keep receipts and mileage of oil change mileages.
BlackStang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStang00 View Post
I'm a ford technician and yes the parts store is correct and for good reason. While under warranty it's best to take it in, and it's usually cheaper than you can buy the oil and filter for yourself anyways plus we check out the rest of the car. I've never seen a dealer I've worked for get that technical but it's a possibility If you'd rather do your own work keep receipts and mileage of oil change mileages.
It's cheaper to go the Dealership but my dealership is 40min to and back and I don't want to do it myself but I need to know for sure or not they can do that
Old 06-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStang00
This is the intended purpose of the magnuson moss act. As long as you use oe equivalent products a dealer can not void your warranty. The people at the dealership are there to upsell you on services. Not to mention far more "mechanics" mess up a car than those of us who do our own work.

There is no need to spend the money on mobil 1 if you don't want to. Buy the oil of your choice with a sae viscosity rating that matches oe. Buy a motorcraft filter and get to know your car better by changing your own oil.

As long as you buy the correct products I described above and fill with the recommended amount of oil a dealer can not void your warranty.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
The dealer is not a money hungry fraud you're paying a professional to do the job right the first time . I get so sick of hearing stuff like that but anyways like I said previously they could void it despite whatever act he speaks of I assure you. However use correct amount and type of oil and a motor craft filter and you will be fine.
BlackStang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

The question that was presented by the OP was if he would void a warranty if he changed his own oil. The answer is no, he will not void a warranty, as long as he uses oil that has been recommended by the manufacturer. Thanks lowflyn for mentioning the magnuson moss act; I was looking for what that was called when I edited my first response.

Mobil 1 meets or exceeds the manufacturers (in this case Ford) recommendations. He is safe with his warranty and this oil for sure.

Lets not turn this into a mechanic/dealership bashing thread. This would not be the intent, nor would it be allowed on this site.

Yes, in many cases, the dealership offers very competetive pricing on oil changes. Many folks here talk about how dealerships even give the first oil change for free. can't beat that.

Personally, I enjoy crawling under my vehicles to do an oil change. I log all maintenance on a excel spreadsheet, logging the mileage at time of service, the date, the receipt number, and of course the actual maintenance that was done. With 48K on my 2013 Mustang, I already have over a thousand bucks in engine oil changes, tires, transmission flush (its an automatic), and this weekend the rear differential gets changed.
In most cases I can do it and save a few bucks. I have no problem with a dealer or service garage doing the work; I had the transmission flushed, as I do not have the equipment to do that properly.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Bottom line you can do any and all of your own maintenance without voiding any of your warranty.
Our's:
Old 06-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
The dealer is not a money hungry fraud you're paying a professional to do the job right the first time . I get so sick of hearing stuff like that but anyways like I said previously they could void it despite whatever act he speaks of I assure you. However use correct amount and type of oil and a motor craft filter and you will be fine.
No one used these words on this post. Rest assured we will carefully check this thread and make sure that no name calling or disrespectful comments are made to a dealership, service department, or repair center are made.

It is discuraging though when someone who is not aware of their service "rights" are scared into thinking they will loose a warranty if they have their maintenance done elsewhere other than a manufacturers dealership. That was the OP's question, and I think it's been answered fairly, from both sides.

I will use my local dealership whenever I feel I cannot perform the maintenance myself; either because I do not have the tools, or the know how. I have a very good relationship with my dealership and their service department. A box of Dunkin Donuts always gets handed to the service folks when I arrive. I appretiate their talent and good service.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

This is what oil I was going to use

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2079437538.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	352.1 KB
ID:	113588
Old 06-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post

Attachment 113588
Yep, that'll work. I used Mobile 1 5-20 on my Mazda6 V6 for 9 years without a problem before I bought my Stang at the end April.
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post

Yep, that'll work. I used Mobile 1 5-20 on my Mazda6 V6 for 9 years without a problem before I bought my Stang at the end April.
Do you used this in your mustang?
Old 06-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:

Attachment 113588
And as to how long you leave that oil in, use the information center (center dash) to inform you as to the oil service life. By pressing the buttons by the light switch, you can find out (by time percentage) how much time is left before the oil should be changed. Based on your driving habits, the info center will calculate when the oil requires changing.

Most use a rule of thumb that if using a full synthetic and a good filter, you can go 6000 to 7500 miles (or more) between oil changes. If using a semi synthetic, about 4500 to 5000 miles is a good rule.

Following the information center will allow you to safely use Ford's recommendations. Then the dealer cannot cite you for that!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And as to how long you leave that oil in, use the information center (center dash) to inform you as to the oil service life. By pressing the buttons by the light switch, you can find out (by time percentage) how much time is left before the oil should be changed. Based on your driving habits, the info center will calculate when the oil requires changing.

Most use a rule of thumb that if using a full synthetic and a good filter, you can go 6000 to 7500 miles (or more) between oil changes. If using a semi synthetic, about 4500 to 5000 miles is a good rule.

Following the information center will allow you to safely use Ford's recommendations. Then the dealer cannot cite you for that!
This the oil I want to use its Full synthetic tho
Old 06-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55

This the oil I want to use its Full synthetic tho
It's not a true synthetic... But close enough. Blame stretching the rules on that one. I've used mobil 1 in everything but the cobra for over 10 years now. It will work perfectly.
Our's:
Old 06-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Do you used this in your mustang?
I will on my first oil change. I've only got 2086 miles on her now.
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I'm using Mobil 1 5w20 with a Motorcraft filter.

Bit of advice: If you buy an oil special at Autozone and you want a different filter, buy the other filter along with the "deal" filter. Then return the "deal" filter. You'll end up paying even less for the oil change sometimes, depending on the filter you pick. That Mobil 1 deal pictured above can be had for around $27 if you do the above and grab an FL500S.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

At 7k miles using Motorcraft Semi Synth I still have 25% left on my oil. Although I think I'm going to go ahead and put Mobil 1 in it.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

How many quarts of oil do I need
Old 06-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How many quarts of oil do I need
Old 06-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Screw that, I'm not taking my stang to be worked on by a "dealer". I have too much pride in doing it myself, and I'm not feeding the dealer anymore money.

As long as you keep to the right specs, you have nothing to worry about.
RocknCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
If anything, be nervous of auto zones employees. Make sure you know what you need before walking through their doors. My last mustangs electrical system was almost completely destroyed due to poor training.
lllTRADEMARKlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Autozone employees sell parts. If you're using them for anything besides looking up a part, do so at your own risk. They're not mechanics and definitely aren't trained as such.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Autozone employees sell parts. If you're using them for anything besides looking up a part, do so at your own risk. They're not mechanics and definitely aren't trained as such.
+1
lllTRADEMARKlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:27 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
I keep a spreadsheet of the maintenance for my cars if I don't go to the dealership. In any case where they question service history, it will suffice. Besides, they have to prove it was a lack of maintenance to deny a claim. The Ford dealerships have been awesome. Ni**an, not so much.

If you create an account for your car at owner.ford.com they are always running good service specials. And another good thing, these service visits show up on CarFax...
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:46 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post
I keep a spreadsheet of the maintenance for my cars if I don't go to the dealership. In any case where they question service history, it will suffice. Besides, they have to prove it was a lack of maintenance to deny a claim. The Ford dealerships have been awesome. Ni**an, not so much.

If you create an account for your car at owner.ford.com they are always running good service specials. And another good thing, these service visits show up on CarFax...
A d you can add your own service or service by other mechanics to the sight. Just keep receipts.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:21 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Cool Autozone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllTRADEMARKlll View Post
+1
+2 I try an go to NAPA as a rule. 6 qts. and Motorcraft filter, I just changed mine
& used Valvoline "Full Synthetic", it's as good as Castrol or Mobil 1.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAl View Post

+2 I try an go to NAPA as a rule. 6 qts. and Motorcraft filter, I just changed mine
& used Valvoline "Full Synthetic", it's as good as Castrol or Mobil 1.
My experience has been to use a good oil and change it on time. For me I prefer frequent oil changes with good ol' dino-oil over full synthetic.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My experience has been to use a good oil and change it on time. For me I prefer frequent oil changes with good ol' dino-oil over full synthetic.
Ha I use Mobile 1 15k extended and change it at 10k. Even if there is life left on it. But then I don't drive more than 10k a year. lol
Old 06-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post

Ha I use Mobile 1 15k extended and change it at 10k. Even if there is life left on it. But then I don't drive more than 10k a year. lol
I think you have to every year! Lol
Old 06-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
...For me I prefer frequent oil changes with good ol' dino-oil over full synthetic.
+1 on Dino Oil and I do mine at 3-5K. The fake oil would cause seals to leak in older cars, probably not a issue in todays cars, but as they say on the west coast:

Save The Seals !

PS, fake oil you say? Well yes lets put it this way.
Real Diamond ring or fake Diamond ring; "Boss these stones we got are fakes". Well synthetic Diamonds are fakes so in my mind synthetic oil is fake. Now I am not commenting on the quality of the fakes. Fake Diamonds work well on industrial cutting work, but thats another story..
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #34
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Fake oil? Synthetic oil is fake? You have to enter the 21st century.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Fake oil? Synthetic oil is fake? You have to enter the 21st century.
Lol. True dat!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang