Trade in - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Trade in

how do trade in's work? Because I want to trade my 6 in for a GT but before going to the dealership and doing all the work I wanna find out how it's done an how it works so they don't rip me off my before:p I have a 2013 v6 Auto with 12k miles on it and I wanna trade it in for a 2013 GT manual, with 9k miles on it for 29k
I payed 27k for mine and so far I've payed 6k on it o: thanks in advance for your answers!(:
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

it seems like you jus got your v6 bro? lol. you already get tired of it?
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If you owe money on your vehicle the dealership will buy it from from you but not for what it is worth or what it is owed. Most likely they will apply the remaining balance to your new vehicle so a 29k GT might end up being in the 35k+, give or take. Also, if you have mods on the vehicle make sure they meet emission standards or you may pay a fine, if they are ok in your state, then you will not get extra money for them. Most dealerships frown on any kind of mod no matter how cool the mod is.

Hope this helped, but then again I bought my car in California. So your dealerships may differ from mine.
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I tell everyone, "you get screwed when you buy a car and you get screwed when you sell or trade a car". Just saying........
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

With all the money you are going to lose from the dealer screwing you over you could pretty much Twin Turbo your car. Don't get rid of it just for a GT,
It's a brand new car, just keep it.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
I would for sure look into trading your car in If that Is what you wanna do. Your dealership might have a good deal on trading in cars or something like that. I don't think there going to screw you over an extreme amount like every one thinks. Also that gt is going to be amazing!! Lol
Old 06-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
If you want a GT then "GO FOR IT"

Clean your car up to perfection. Inside and outside. Drive to the dealer and tell the salesperson what you want to do. They will look at your car and put a value on it. They will come up with a difference you will have to pay. They may start with $10,000 and your car plus transfer and tax on the ten grand. Don't go for it Tell them you will pay $6,000 out the door. Stick with that while they do their best trying to meet your offer Out the door means that the transfer and tax is included in the deal. If they can get to about what you want to pay difference then go ahead and buy it. If they say $8,000 out the door and you feel it is a good deal, buy it. If not just stick to your offer for a while longer.

If you still owe $20,000 on your V6 then the difference will be added to the financing and you will owe $26,000 less any extra money you want to put down. Try to get as low of a finance charge as possible if you go with Ford Financing. Sometimes Ford has deals on the lending of the loan.

If they let you walk just be sure they have your phone number and let them know you will be interested if they came down a little more on the difference you have to pay.

Good Luck and I hope you can get your GT
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
You definately would want to try and sell it yourself because you'll get a little more for it. The bummer with your situation is not because it's a V6, it's mainly because of the new car depreciation. You might test the waters, so to speak, and put it up for sale. See if you get any bites. You could also see if the dealer happens to be running some kind of deal, like Adogg mentioned. You may need to wait until you've paid her down some more before you can do what your asking. Life is short, so don't wait until it's completely paid off if it's not something you like.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

He is trading for a car with 12,000 miles on it.

Used for used, Not used for brand new. The GT would probably be gone if he takes to long to sell his car.

I think I gave him some pretty good advice on how to buy a car. Unless he is buying from a Buy here pay here used car lot he should be getting a nice GT that still has a factory warranty on it. 12,000 miles is not really to many. If it is on a Ford dealers lot it has to be an OK car. If it was a once wrecked or lemon it would have never been on the lot. It would have been wholesaled out or at the auction. Not on the dealers lot for sale.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Used for used, Not used for brand new. The GT would probably be gone if he takes to long to sell his car.

I think I gave him some pretty good advice on how to buy a car. Unless he is buying from a Buy here pay here used car lot he should be getting a nice GT that still has a factory warranty on it. 12,000 miles is not really to many. If it is on a Ford dealers lot it has to be an OK car. If it was a once wrecked or lemon it would have never been on the lot. It would have been wholesaled out or at the auction. Not on the dealers lot for sale.
Ronnie
Good for you Ronnie!
Old 06-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

You're going to loose money on your trade, no matter what you say or do with the dealer. Trading a used Mustang for another Mustang, used or new, expect to loose money.

No matter how bad I want a GT (or in my case a Boss), I simply am not willing to lose money on it. You already took a hit when you bought the new Mustang V6. As soon as it was titled to you (the financial institution that holds the loan), and you drove it off the lot, it became used, and lost about $4000.00 to $5000.00. This is the hard part about buying new; you take a huge depreciation "hit" when it's first bought. Over a few years, some vehicles appretiate in value, most do not. The market has plenty of V6 and V8 late model Mustangs, so don't expect your V6 to appretiate in value much, if at all. I own a V6, and I accepted this assumption when I bought it.

Since most Mustang buyers are now waiting on the new 2015's to come out, Ford has slowed production on the Mustang due to lower demand right now (one of the Mustang manufacturing plants has switched over to make Ford Fusions), which means the dealerships have lower counts of Mustangs on their lot. This means many will not "deal" on them right away; they may hold firmer on a price. This can change though, perhaps when the new model year begins to get closer.

Bottom line, if you do trade your car in, and if the dealer does not pay it off (likely), then you'll be rolling the balance of your current Mustang into the price of the new one. This means you'll be even more upside down on the new Mustang; you'll owe much more than its worth.

Is it worth the price to do this? It's up to you, but in my opinion, keep what you have for another year or two.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

+1 ^
Old 06-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I'd keep the v-6 for now and pay it down further. The v-6 has a tremendous
combination of power and fuel economy that is pretty hard to beat. I was at a car show last
weekend with my 69 GTO convertible and spent some time talking to the owner of a 2012
Boss 302 who was showing his car. He happened to mention that he gets 12 miles per gallon
in city driving......OUCH! This is with premium fuel as well that costs 40 cents a gallon more
That made me feel pretty darn good about my v-6!
GRREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
how do trade in's work? Because I want to trade my 6 in for a GT but before going to the dealership and doing all the work I wanna find out how it's done an how it works so they don't rip me off my before:p I have a 2013 v6 Auto with 12k miles on it and I wanna trade it in for a 2013 GT manual, with 9k miles on it for 29k
I payed 27k for mine and so far I've payed 6k on it o: thanks in advance for your answers!(:
The best way for you to do this is simple. Follow the following instructions and repeat if necessary.

Step 1. Walk in Ford Dealership
Step 2. Pull pants down
Step 3. Bend forward all the way.
Step 4. Take out bottle of K.Y. lube.
Step 5. Extract a large amount of KY jelly onto your hand.
Step 6. Place large amount of KY inside your rectum..
Step 7. Hold onto the ride from the dealership.
Step 8. Never let them see you sweat.

Then , see head shrink about why you just didnt buy the GT from jump less than a year ago. Hope this helps. That is just crazy bro. Lol
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #15
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

The best way for you to do this is simple. Follow the following instructions and repeat if necessary.

Step 2. Pull pants down

Then , see head shrink about why you just didnt buy the GT from jump less than a year ago. Hope this helps. That is just crazy bro. Lol
Now ^that is a helpful post
Old 06-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

Now ^that is a helpful post
What, no good. I didn't want to see the guy get hit dry. Nobody deserves that. Lmao.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Just so you know what you're getting into, go to a site where you can get the trade-in value of your car; Kellybluebook.com; edmunds.com; nada.com. If you're lucky, they'll give you a couple grand less than what the trade-in value of your car is actually worth.

Once you have a number in mind, go to a couple of dealers, and see what they say. It might not be pretty.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to do the same for the GT, too. It is used, meaning that they probably didn't pay its trade-in value for it. Find that number, and give yourself an idea of what you want to pay for that car.
BatmanUriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
OP, not that you owe me an explanation but respectfully I'm just curious on the thought process you had when you bought your 13 v6. Why spend 27k on the v6 if you really wanted the GT and shortly after thinking of trading the v6 in. Don't people do there homework and research in today's age when buying a 27k plus vehicle?

Why trade a used 13 for another used 13 when the all new 2015 is so close. To me, that's just silly. Why not wait until the 15 comes out to see if you love it and then dump your 13 v6 for a 15 GT?

Dealerships love consumers like you. You spend 27k on car. Dump car one year later and they give you peanuts for your car. Then you buy the 13 GT which the dealership stole from the dude that traded his in. Then the 2015 comes out. You fall in love, go back and trade your 13GT in after losing your back side a second time so you can buy the 15.

There are going to be a huge surplus of 11 to 14 mustangs once the 15 comes out and people will be ready to lose there shirt on there current stang just to be one with the all new mustang design. Great time to buy a 13 or 14 stang in the next year. One can steal them from people because they will be desperate to sell for the 2015 model
Old 06-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:

OP, not that you owe me an explanation but respectfully I'm just curious on the thought process you had when you bought your 13 v6. Why spend 27k on the v6 if you really wanted the GT and shortly after thinking of trading the v6 in. Don't people do there homework and research in today's age when buying a 27k plus vehicle?

Why trade a used 13 for another used 13 when the all new 2015 is so close. To me, that's just silly. Why not wait until the 15 comes out to see if you love it and then dump your 13 v6 for a 15 GT?
That is what I would do.. in the meantime work on paying down the loan as much as possible. Dont mod. Just put every dime into the payment you can so u have equity in the car. This way if u like the 15 u r golden. If not get a 14 GT at a greatly reduced price new because the dealers wont want to hold new 14's on the lot because it costs them to keep them... They will even give u a better deal to buy a 14 gt with dealer / factory incentives on leftover 14 models and chances are u will get a better trade price on your car becauase they will get a kickback for moving the leftover 14.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post

That is what I would do..
Makes more sense than selling your used 13 for another used 13.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:

Makes more sense than selling your used 13 for another used 13.
I edited my post with more info so please re read. . I am holding out and if I dont like the 15 then I may trade on a 14 5.0 too..
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
OP is already craving a power upgrade with extra monthly payments
Old 06-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #23
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Dealerships love consumers like you. You spend 27k on car. Dump car one year later and they give you peanuts for your car. Then you buy the 13 GT which the dealership stole from the dude that traded his in. Then the 2015 comes out. You fall in love, go back and trade your 13GT in after losing your back side a second time so you can buy the 15.

There are going to be a huge surplus of 11 to 14 mustangs once the 15 comes out and people will be ready to lose there shirt on there current stang just to be one with the all new mustang design. Great time to buy a 13 or 14 stang in the next year. One can steal them from people because they will be desperate to sell for the 2015 model
Ok so here is my story. Me and my dad went I to the dealer ship to only look at the cars. After we saw some good deals my da wa like " pick your fab color " right then and their i knew what was about to go down! so I ended up picking this deep impact blue with an Auto trams, I really wanted a manual but I didn't trust myself enough to get one. And now tag I really know how I wish I could go back in time/: well the guy says to us that the car is a certified use car which already came with a 30k pr 70k mile warrantee. Which according to him is the reason it cost 27000. I was blinded by the whole " I'm getting a a 2013 mustang " to even care about the price and the details. so I drove of that day with one of my biggest regrets ever.. I mean the very next week I really sat down and thought about it. I could have gotten a Manual trams Premium for what I payed for this one.. And this one is the Base model, which means no Screen in between the gushes, no ambient lighting, no fog lights, no power seats, and no synch radio or whatever/ gosh they really got me their...
Old 06-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #24
tan
Registered Member
Regular

Simple formula:

Cost of V8 - (Current value of V6 - payments made) = What's you're paying now

"Current value" is Cost - Depreciation (this is where it hurts)
tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #25
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok so here is my story. Me and my dad went I to the dealer ship to only look at the cars. After we saw some good deals my da wa like " pick your fab color " right then and their i knew what was about to go down! so I ended up picking this deep impact blue with an Auto trams, I really wanted a manual but I didn't trust myself enough to get one. And now tag I really know how I wish I could go back in time/: well the guy says to us that the car is a certified use car which already came with a 30k pr 70k mile warrantee. Which according to him is the reason it cost 27000. I was blinded by the whole " I'm getting a a 2013 mustang " to even care about the price and the details. so I drove of that day with one of my biggest regrets ever.. I mean the very next week I really sat down and thought about it. I could have gotten a Manual trams Premium for what I payed for this one.. And this one is the Base model, which means no Screen in between the gushes, no ambient lighting, no fog lights, no power seats, and no synch radio or whatever/ gosh they really got me their...
Also you make a great point about the 2015! maybe I should wait:p
Old 06-13-2013, 06:17 AM   #26
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Regardless of your being "blinded with a car purchase" and now regretting it, you will be even more regretful if you trade it now, roll over the balance (you will not get your payoff on the current Mustang) to the new "used" GT that you want to buy.

It's simply not worth it. You will spend more money on a GT then it's worth. And here's another thing to think about: what if you get into an accident (maybe not your fault), and the car is totaled. The insurance company is going to payoff on what the car is worth, not what you owe on it. For rolling over a balance from the old Mustang to the new one, you will have to purchase GAP insurance to compensate for this, raising the monthly cost of that GT you want even more, as the financial institution will want their loan protected.

Next time, walk away from a deal for 24 hours; give yourself time to think if it's a good one or not. Use this as a learning experience.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Regardless of your being "blinded with a car purchase" and now regretting it, you will be even more regretful if you trade it now, roll over the balance (you will not get your payoff on the current Mustang) to the new "used" GT that you want to buy.

It's simply not worth it. You will spend more money on a GT then it's worth. And here's another thing to think about: what if you get into an accident (maybe not your fault), and the car is totaled. The insurance company is going to payoff on what the car is worth, not what you owe on it. For rolling over a balance from the old Mustang to the new one, you will have to purchase GAP insurance to compensate for this, raising the monthly cost of that GT you want even more, as the financial institution will want their loan protected.

Next time, walk away from a deal for 24 hours; give yourself time to think if it's a good one or not. Use this as a learning experience.
Amen to that. Don't get double taken advantage of by the car industry. You will take a beating worse than Tina Turner did from Ike with the boot. Keep your awesome 13 for now. Pay it down. Then sell it in a few years for the next generation Gt or buy a used 13 or 14 GT.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
How's your credit because your going there with negative equity because its work more than your car so there going to have to roll over and if you don't have good credit it's going to be a ***** they might work with you though I traded my 05 Monday for a 11 my car was worth 6 but I owed 7500 on it and they had to roll over the 1500 I had okay credit so they worked with me if they want you to get in that car they will work with you and not dick uoi
usmc.Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Look up the black book value of your car, that's what dealers go by.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Look up the black book value of your car, that's what dealers go by.
Did u mean blue book? Black book is what all mustang owners get once you buy a mustang. It's to keep record of all the ladies wanting a ride.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Dealers also don't go by Kelly blue book either
usmc.Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #32
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamp1 View Post

Did u mean blue book? Black book is what all mustang owners get once you buy a mustang. It's to keep record of all the ladies wanting a ride.
haha you know it!(x
Old 06-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Step 2. Pull pants down

Omfg zedd do this!!! Hahahaha zedd just buy a gt and keep the 3.7 like I did buddy
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang