new to stangs and hate C.A.R.B regulations - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-13-2013, 02:33 AM   #1

Region: California
new to stangs and hate C.A.R.B regulations

Does anyone have any favorite parts that are C.A.R.B compliant. I don't know much about the regulations for new cars but I love to make upgrades, but later on down the road I would hate to have to put things back to stock just to get a piece of paper.
Black.stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Are you in California? Most parts are 49 state complient; California is a bit tougher, but rightly so, as the air there is garbage.

As to favorites, there are three that pop up at least a dozen times a week here; CAI's, exhaust, and tuners.

I would not be a "hater" to the C.A.R.B. laws, they help folks breath better and live longer without risk of getting cancers, two headed babies, and the like.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I have a real problem with CARB. They are unelected, corrupt environmentalists that hate cars. They answer only to the governor, they pass rules and laws that the public does not vote on, and there is no recourse for those that are affected by their rules. They constantly go after the cars, but leave the real polluters, heavy industy, alone. I can only assume the big polluters also have big checkbooks.
I attended a meeting that had CARB committee members as well as members of an even worse outfit called the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District. They told us that our "hobby was doomed", and that if we really wanted to continue playing with our cars, we should consider moving to another state.
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
tan
Registered Member
Regular

You know what they say "when you're hungry, go hunt an environmentalist." Even though they're not perfect, they do deserve credits for slowing down the rate of pollution. But you're right, I wish everything were perfect, too.
tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister07 View Post
I have a real problem with CARB. They are unelected, corrupt environmentalists that hate cars. They answer only to the governor, they pass rules and laws that the public does not vote on, and there is no recourse for those that are affected by their rules. They constantly go after the cars, but leave the real polluters, heavy industy, alone. I can only assume the big polluters also have big checkbooks.
I attended a meeting that had CARB committee members as well as members of an even worse outfit called the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District. They told us that our "hobby was doomed", and that if we really wanted to continue playing with our cars, we should consider moving to another state.
Want to be heard? Support and join SEMA.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I am a member of SEMA, and a member of the ACCC- The Association of California Car Clubs.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #7

I don't hate what there for because clean air is important, but there killing car enthusiast by placing ridiculous regulations on us. but at the very least i want headers, throttle body, exhaust, intake, and tune. with that being said i have to find the best heders that are "CARB Compliant." the rest is easier to either swap or find legal.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I live in California and my mechanic told me today that if I use a tune on my car it won't pass smog. Is that correct?
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #9

I don't hate what there for because clean air is important, but there killing car enthusiast by placing ridiculous regulations on us. but at the very least i want headers, throttle body, exhaust, intake, and tune. with that being said i have to find the best heders that are "CARB Compliant." the rest is easier to either swap or find legal.

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

i doubt that i have a tune on my impala and it passes smog. ive never heard of a tune making you fail smog.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

This is really sinister- from the California Vehicle Code.

"27159. Any uniformed member of the California Highway Patrol may
order a vehicle stored when it is located within the territorial
limits in which the member may act if requested by a representative
of the State Air Resources Board to remove the vehicle from service
pursuant to subdivision (f) of Section 44011.6 of the Health and
Safety Code. All towing and storage fees for a vehicle removed under
this section shall be paid by the owner
."

A friend was driving his highly modified but very legal LS-1 Camaro through the East Bay area, on his way to Northern California. He apparently annoyed somebody, because a CHP officer pulled him over and impounded his car. The CARB inspector took TWO WEEKS to get her lazy butt to the tow yard to check the car, and then certified that all was legal. The total cost to get his car out of the lot was $1600, for the tow fees, storage fees, gate fees, and the vehicle release form at the CHP office, not to mention the time lost and the travel expenses. All this, and nothing was illegal on his car.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
I live in California and my mechanic told me today that if I use a tune on my car it won't pass smog. Is that correct?
Well I live in CA to my car is tuned for the supercharger without the tune car won't run so I doubt it
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

My son's car has a Paxton supercharger and a tune from Brenspeed and it passed smog with flying colors.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Most of these performance parts are C.A.R.B. complient, so you may have to simply do a little homework and talk to the manufacturer to obtain the C.A.R.B. verification if required to show proof. I don't think visual inspections are an issue anymore.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang