Oil Change - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
tan
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Oil Change

I'm just wondering if anyone here actually follows the oil life monitor/sensor in their V6's, or you religiously change oil every 3K miles, or 7K for synthetic?

Just got my first oil change at 3K mile and switching to synthetic, but the system showed my oil life to have 78% left?

According to that, I have another 10K miles to go before I need an oil change.
tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I go by every 5k.. Which makes it 50% and plus one mechanic at ford told me its post to.learn
gorillaz131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
The car determines the percentage of oil life by the heat up time of the oil and how it keeps temperature this determines viscosity and lubricity using several other factors its perfectly safe to go by oil life monitor but we still put 5k oil change stickers and I'd still feel weird waiting that long for an oil change
BlackStang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I use it. But I also was told not to switch to synthetic until 10K miles.. Hmm. But once the oil life says its getting Into about 25% ill look into it and change it. The biggest thing is keeping enough oil in your car. You never want to run too low. What kind of synthetic do you use?
United States Air Force
Bonnie12V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
tan
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStang00 View Post
The car determines the percentage of oil life by the heat up time of the oil and how it keeps temperature this determines viscosity and lubricity using several other factors its perfectly safe to go by oil life monitor but we still put 5k oil change stickers and I'd still feel weird waiting that long for an oil change

Yeah I think 5K is good enough, it's a good chance to have the car checked out too. Also since I bought the maintenance package, gotta milk it.

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie12V6 View Post
I use it. But I also was told not to switch to synthetic until 10K miles.. Hmm. But once the oil life says its getting Into about 25% ill look into it and change it. The biggest thing is keeping enough oil in your car. You never want to run too low. What kind of synthetic do you use?
I'm actually not sure. I bought the maintenance package with the car and opted for synthetic oil option. There's no way to no what kind the dealership uses
Old 06-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStang00 View Post
I follow the monitor. Your manual says to use to oil life monitor to determine when to change the oil. I posted the PDF page a while back from the manual. Our cars are specifically designed to go 10k. If you wish to throw away money because it gives you a peace of mind then good for you. (Not being snarky but really if you want to do it then do it, but it's not necessary). I trust the engineers. The monitor does its job. If you get on it on a cruise up and down some mountains the life goes down quicker than normal.

Just cause its weird doesn't mean it's bad. Change is good. Just think its weird that we can get 30mpgs with 305hp too.

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

Link from review of our engine and text taken out of the manual.

pg 330

Scheduled Maintenance
Any adverse condition should be brought to the attention of your dealer or qualified service technician as soon as possible for the proper service advice. The owner maintenance service checks are generally not covered by warranties so you may be charged for labor, parts or fluids used.
Engine oil/coolant change intervals – 3.7L and 5.0L engines*
Engine oil
Engine coolant, initial change
Engine coolant, after initial change
As indicated by the message center: do not exceed one year or 10,000 miles (16,000 km) 6 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 km) (whichever comes first)
Every 3 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km)
*Shelby GT500 owners: Refer to the Shelby GT500 supplement Check every month
Engine oil level

This was an exert on the write up in the 3.7 on v6muscle performance

2011 Ford Mustang Engine Deep Sump Oil Pan
The Duratec 3.7 V-6 uses a deep-sump oil pan that helps provide 10,000-mile oil-change intervals.
Each hardened tappet has a very slight crown in the surface, about 15 microns from side to side, to work better against the surface and metallurgy of the drilled-out hollow camshaft’s lobes.

Inside, the new engine uses piston-cooling oil jets mounted in the die-cast aluminum block that allows a higher compression ratio and a greater amount of spark advance for power production. With check valves in place, the cooling jets work only when the engine is hot and highly stressed. And, speaking of oil, you won’t have to reach for the left-front-mounted oil filter or drain the sump of the die-cast deep-sump aluminum oil pan of its 5W-20 oil for 10,000 miles, a 33-percent improvement over the usual 7,500-mile interval. This is an advantage brought about by continuous analysis of driving cycles (Ford says almost all of its engines will be 10,000-milers by 2012).
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
tan
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC20 View Post

I follow the monitor. Your manual says to use to oil life monitor to determine when to change the oil. I posted the PDF page a while back from the manual. Our cars are specifically designed to go 10k. If you wish to throw away money because it gives you a peace of mind then good for you. (Not being snarky but really if you want to do it then do it, but it's not necessary). I trust the engineers. The monitor does its job. If you get on it on a cruise up and down some mountains the life goes down quicker than normal.

Just cause its weird doesn't mean it's bad. Change is good. Just think its weird that we can get 30mpgs with 305hp too.

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

Link from review of our engine and text taken out of the manual.

pg 330

Scheduled Maintenance
Any adverse condition should be brought to the attention of your dealer or qualified service technician as soon as possible for the proper service advice. The owner maintenance service checks are generally not covered by warranties so you may be charged for labor, parts or fluids used.
Engine oil/coolant change intervals – 3.7L and 5.0L engines*
Engine oil
Engine coolant, initial change
Engine coolant, after initial change
As indicated by the message center: do not exceed one year or 10,000 miles (16,000 km) 6 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 km) (whichever comes first)
Every 3 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km)
*Shelby GT500 owners: Refer to the Shelby GT500 supplement Check every month
Engine oil level

This was an exert on the write up in the 3.7 on v6muscle performance

2011 Ford Mustang Engine Deep Sump Oil Pan
The Duratec 3.7 V-6 uses a deep-sump oil pan that helps provide 10,000-mile oil-change intervals.
Each hardened tappet has a very slight crown in the surface, about 15 microns from side to side, to work better against the surface and metallurgy of the drilled-out hollow camshaft’s lobes.

Inside, the new engine uses piston-cooling oil jets mounted in the die-cast aluminum block that allows a higher compression ratio and a greater amount of spark advance for power production. With check valves in place, the cooling jets work only when the engine is hot and highly stressed. And, speaking of oil, you won’t have to reach for the left-front-mounted oil filter or drain the sump of the die-cast deep-sump aluminum oil pan of its 5W-20 oil for 10,000 miles, a 33-percent improvement over the usual 7,500-mile interval. This is an advantage brought about by continuous analysis of driving cycles (Ford says almost all of its engines will be 10,000-milers by 2012).
Very informative post. Thank you!
But most of us usually pair the oil change with inspections, so driving 10K without inspection is pretty stupid, unless you know cars well. Yeah?
Old 06-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan View Post

Very informative post. Thank you!
But most of us usually pair the oil change with inspections, so driving 10K without inspection is pretty stupid, unless you know cars well. Yeah?
Agreed. I say use the monitor And self inspect every so often as well. The monitor could always malfunction so it's always good to have a back up plan. I do trust it though. But if I had 7500 on it And it showed 80% life I would be scratching my head.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
tan
Registered Member
Regular

Yup. but if you have the maintenance plan like i do, bring it to the dealer . Gotta make your thousands worthwhile
Old 06-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I had mine changed every 7,500 miles. Maintenance Plan ftw!
BlueSoulStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
tan
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSoulStang View Post
I had mine changed every 7,500 miles. Maintenance Plan ftw!
Hey BlueSoulStang, show us your blue!
Old 06-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tan View Post
Hey BlueSoulStang, show us your blue!
She's long gone, man.. I recently traded her in for a new Focus. Going back to school soon for my masters and had to find ways to cut down on my expenses...

Here's a pic of how she looked like a few weeks before i had to let her go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DB_Fabulous_Fords_Forever_2013.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	114085   Click image for larger version

Name:	DB_Fabulous_Fords_Forever_2013_2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	114086  

Old 06-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
tan
Registered Member
Regular

what a shame. but after that Master's, you better get her back. Or I'd be fine with her younger sisters, too (if you know what i mean hahaha
Old 06-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Most definitely! hahaha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang