Need help! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Need help!

Ok, I almost cried when I saw this. I was pulling through a McDonalds drive thru, got to close, and heard a scrape. As soon as I got home, I saw this...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1681.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	114294

I'm not 100% sure that it was me at McDonalds that did it, but I didn't see it when I was walking to my car to leave, so I guess it has to be me. So, what should I do? Should I take it to Ford? A body shop? How much will this cost me, and once it's done, will it be noticeable? Any advice would be great. Thanks!
mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 01:44 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
First try to find a fender on eBay off a totaled mustang .. Years 2010 to 14 use the same fenders I believe . If you can't find one I'm sure any body shop has the resources to find one for you . If you find the same color fender on eBay your in luck it's just a bolt on job. I can't see the paint running more than like 300 unless they tell you they want to blend it with connecting panels which may cost more. At the end of the day , if its done right you shouldn't be able to tell the difference .

---------- Post added at 02:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 AM ----------

I'm also no body guy but if they say they can bang it out and reshape the fender let them. Tell them you don't want them using bondo . I'd rather spend the extra money on a new fender then use that crap.
geepoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Found this on ebay. It's sold by the same dealership that I got my car from! Lucky me! haha
Ford AR3Z16005A Genuine Factory Original Fender | eBay

How should I go about getting it painted? So it looks the exact same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 02:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
McDonald's. not only detrimental to your body but you cars body as well!
Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:12 AM   #5
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Hmm good excuse to upgrade to something like this haha.

http://www.trufiber.com/Trufiber_Mus...f10025-nx2.htm
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
The body shop should be able to match it . Just go there with the fender and tell them to paint it.
geepoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L View Post

^i like this!
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

Haha. Great excuse actually! 👌👌
Big_red502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by geepoons View Post
The body shop should be able to match it . Just go there with the fender and tell them to paint it.
Is that $500 for both or just one? If they come pre-painted to my car's color, and it's $500 for both, then I'm buying them! lol

Also, would a third party body shop have the same OEM paint that Ford does? Would Ford even have the same exact OEM paint? I want it to look the exact same, none of that slightly different shade crap.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz View Post

Is that $500 for both or just one? If they come pre-painted to my car's color, and it's $500 for both, then I'm buying them! lol

Also, would a third party body shop have the same OEM paint that Ford does? Would Ford even have the same exact OEM paint? I want it to look the exact same, none of that slightly different shade crap.
It's for the pair (left and right side) but I don't think it comes prepainted.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Had the same thing happen to me. Cost $380 to get it sorted at a local body shop.
Yankytyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
So no more "HAPPY MEALS" for you!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:

It's for the pair (left and right side) but I don't think it comes prepainted.
That's still a good deal prolly $800 out the door installed and painted by local body shop. And they do this for a living, it will match the color. Just make sure it's a trusted body shop not some bs backwoods place
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

If I have it fixed and buffed out, do you think it will be noticeable? I want those carbon fiber fenders, but they are a bit out of my price range. :/
As for now, I am either going to have it fixed, or buy a new fender online and have my local dealer paint and install it.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
That turned into a expensive quarter ponder, eh?

Sorry to see this, hope the install of the new fender goes okay!

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

If its done right you won't see a thing. Maaco a chain wanted $600 to fix my scrape.
Like I said I went local, got it done cheaper& it's like new. Don't worry!
Old 06-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankytyke View Post
If its done right you won't see a thing. Maaco a chain wanted $600 to fix my scrape.
Like I said I went local, got it done cheaper& it's like new. Don't worry!
Did you have it completely replaced or just fixed?
Old 06-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

They were able to hammer mine out. I was as pissed as you were. More so as however did it to me just drove off.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankytyke View Post
They were able to hammer mine out. I was as pissed as you were. More so as however did it to me just drove off.
Was it about the same size/amount of damage that I have?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

More or less. Slightly more damage on the vertical axis. Two days to fix it.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. the local dealership quoted me 921 plus tax. That seems way to high IMO. 271 for the fender, and 650 to paint and install.

They said that since the damage is on a seam, it can't be popped out, and it must be replaced. Does that make any sense? Or are they just trying to rip me off.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Will your insurance help you out at all?
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Ok. the local dealership quoted me 921 plus tax. That seems way to high IMO. 271 for the fender, and 650 to paint and install.

They said that since the damage is on a seam, it can't be popped out, and it must be replaced. Does that make any sense? Or are they just trying to rip me off.

That sounds a little high, might check around a bit.

I was getting ready to say I'm by no means a body work guy but that dent being in the seam is going to be very difficult if not impossible to get right.

May see if its any cheaper to buy the fender yourself and let them paint it then install yourself, a fender is not going to be real difficult to install.
sarge450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Wow that's way too high! Mine was on the seam too. It wasn't popped out, but hammered out. No filler crap either....
You tried other places? For that price you could drive to Western MD, stay in a hotel & get it fixed here!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

That's the first place I've checked. Another dealership has a fender on sale on ebay for 160, and since their close, I might be able to go pick it up. Then I'll just have to get it painted and installed. How hard is installing it? Is it something I could do myself?

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Will your insurance help you out at all?
No, I don't think so, since I did the damage, insurance won't pay. Plus I think I have a thousand dollar delectable, so they won't pay for anything if it's less than 1k in damage, which it is.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
That's the first place I've checked. Another dealership has a fender on sale on ebay for 160, and since their close, I might be able to go pick it up. Then I'll just have to get it painted and installed. How hard is installing it? Is it something I could do myself?

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

No, I don't think so, since I did the damage, insurance won't pay. Plus I think I have a thousand dollar delectable, so they won't pay for anything if it's less than 1k in damage, which it is.
Crap that sucks. I had a 500$ deductible with my Mazda 3 when I slid on ice and hit the curb, bent lower control arm and rim. I went through my insurance and the final bill was 575. My insurance only had to pay 75$ and at the end of the year they tried to increase my premium by 10$ a month! Had to fight with them to keep the same premium. I hope you can find a good price keep us informed.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Got another quote from a local body shop for $1100, and that's with my student discount, but the guy was pretty confident that he can make it look flawless.
I still don't want to pay anything over $500, but I also want it to look good. I'll try to get a few more quotes, but for now it looks like i'll have a gash in my mustang for a while, until I can get it done well for cheap, or I get enough money to pay for it. :/
Old 07-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

_______UPDATE___________
Ok, I have a question for ya'll.
I got several quotes from local body shops, and one from Ford. Ford wanted 1400, and that's way to much so I'm not doing that. All the other shops wanted about 1k, and they all offered pretty much the same service. Replace the part with an OEM fender, paint, and blend to the rest of the car. Except for one place that quoted me at $600. The difference is that the one place that quoted me at $600 isn't going to "blend" to the hood and door as all the others were going to.

So here's my question. Is blending important? They told me it's so it matches the rest of the car, but if they get the exact paint code, which they all said it would, is blending necessary? I can see maybe for an older car, where the paint has faded, but mine is less than a year old, and I don't think it has faded. Would new paint be that much of a difference?
Old 07-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
_______UPDATE___________
Ok, I have a question for ya'll.
I got several quotes from local body shops, and one from Ford. Ford wanted 1400, and that's way to much so I'm not doing that. All the other shops wanted about 1k, and they all offered pretty much the same service. Replace the part with an OEM fender, paint, and blend to the rest of the car. Except for one place that quoted me at $600. The difference is that the one place that quoted me at $600 isn't going to "blend" to the hood and door as all the others were going to.

So here's my question. Is blending important? They told me it's so it matches the rest of the car, but if they get the exact paint code, which they all said it would, is blending necessary? I can see maybe for an older car, where the paint has faded, but mine is less than a year old, and I don't think it has faded. Would new paint be that much of a difference?
You'd be surprised at how different it can get. I'd have it blended just to make sure it looks right. I don't work in a body shop and have little experience with it, but the dealer I work for has a body shop and close friend of mine works in it. I've seen new cars get the same paint and look way off.
Seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit View Post

You'd be surprised at how different it can get. I'd have it blended just to make sure it looks right. I don't work in a body shop and have little experience with it, but the dealer I work for has a body shop and close friend of mine works in it. I've seen new cars get the same paint and look way off.
I would ask around. I have a " go to guy". I ask him all my questions. I've learned from past experience that there's alot of badly managed body shops out there
Mustanglulu is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang