Summer Upgrades - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #1

Region: Nevada
Summer Upgrades

I'm looking for some performance upgrades this summer. I was thinking either:
1- Bama Tune and Airraid CAI
2- Borla ATAK Axle-Back
3- 3.55 Gear Ratios?
I need some more info on the gear ratios and what it does to the car. I'm not really familiar with it at all. Also any other ideas for performance upgrades!
RCE ETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Tuner & CAI is the best 1st mod IMO.
Exhaust doesn't add HP but it's music to ur ears.
Gears are gonna need a tuner so u might wanna buy that 1st but from what I hear gears are an awesome mod.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
Gears are gonna need a tuner so u might wanna buy that 1st but from what I hear gears are an awesome mod.
Oh thanks! I heard the gear ratios does quite a bit for the car but I also heard it has a negative effect on the MPG? Not that it really matters, but I don't want to be burning gas like crazy! Any other ideas on mods?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCE ETR View Post

Oh thanks! I heard the gear ratios does quite a bit for the car but I also heard it has a negative effect on the MPG? Not that it really matters, but I don't want to be burning gas like crazy! Any other ideas on mods?
For stock I would do CAI + Tune u will see a huge difference. Yea gears hurt hwy mpgs. If u want exhaust u could do full exhaust (long tube headers with x pipe & axle backs) it would sound awesome & add performance.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
^ what he said but with one correction. "Exhaust" can add HP. Axlebacks will not much if any HP, but a full exhaust will. Especially O/R midpipes
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Tune + coldair wont give you a "huge difference" you will fill more from a gear swap to 3.73 vs a tune/intake
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post

^ what he said but with one correction. "Exhaust" can add HP. Axlebacks will not much if any HP, but a full exhaust will. Especially O/R midpipes
What are some suggestions on tubes and headers then? Anything to add HP and sound great. Two birds with one stone!
Old 06-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Tune first. Cai with it if you think it's worth it. Then go for the gears for your next mod. Got 3.55s installed just yesterday. Wanting to break them in just a little before I get on it again.
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
Tune first. Cai with it if you think it's worth it. Then go for the gears for your next mod. Got 3.55s installed just yesterday. Wanting to break them in just a little before I get on it again.
Sweet. That's what I was going to do. Besides tuning, CAI, gear box, what else can I do?
Old 06-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sweet. That's what I was going to do. Besides tuning, CAI, gear box, what else can I do?
With our cars it's almost as if exhaust is more sound than it is in performance. Either that or suspension.
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post

With our cars it's almost as if exhaust is more sound than it is in performance. Either that or suspension.
Trust me, I have an O/R H-Pipe and it definitely adds a noticeable power increase.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #12

Quote:

Trust me, I have an O/R H-Pipe and it definitely adds a noticeable power increase.
Is it a dramatic power increase though? How does it sound?
Old 06-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Is it a dramatic power increase though? How does it sound?
Yes it is. I think its around 30 HP . if you just do the midpipe it sounds like crap, that's why I got PYPES Pype-Bombs. Look up 37blackonblack on YouTube that's my account name
Old 06-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
longtubes and off road mid pypes add a very noticable gain and sound is unreal, as for mpg's with gears, its not really the gears that cause the decrease in mpg's its drivers right foot, I went from 3.31's to 4.10's and mpg is no worse, but performance is amazing, not so sure that if you go from 3.31's to 3.55's is really going to satisfy you, these cars love to be in the higher rpm range, i would atleast go 3.73's but thats just my 2 cents
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
longtubes and off road mid pypes add a very noticable gain and sound is unreal, as for mpg's with gears, its not really the gears that cause the decrease in mpg's its drivers right foot, I went from 3.31's to 4.10's and mpg is no worse, but performance is amazing, not so sure that if you go from 3.31's to 3.55's is really going to satisfy you, these cars love to be in the higher rpm range, i would atleast go 3.73's but thats just my 2 cents
Lower gear ratio (higher number) = higher driving rpm which = lower mpg
Old 06-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Tune and CAI first, then exhaust. The exhaust will add noticeable gains with the tune, I am still trying to figure mine out. But it is defiantly a change for the better.
sarge450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #17

Quote:

Yes it is. I think its around 30 HP . if you just do the midpipe it sounds like crap, that's why I got PYPES Pype-Bombs. Look up 37blackonblack on YouTube that's my account name
I checked out your videos man and they are pretty sick. It sounds like in the videos there's a lot of rattling though, but it sounds beast. Maybe it's just the video resolution
Old 06-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lower gear ratio (higher number) = higher driving rpm which = lower mpg
only time it effects the mpg is if your on the highway with 4.10's and doing over 80 , street driving in town is not effected if u shift right and keep rpms down when not wanting to burn fuel.....my car is my dd and i get 22 on highway and in town i drive it like i stole it...i dont worry about mpg's
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
Old 06-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I checked out your videos man and they are pretty sick. It sounds like in the videos there's a lot of rattling though, but it sounds beast. Maybe it's just the video resolution
I need resonators

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post

only time it effects the mpg is if your on the highway with 4.10's and doing over 80 , street driving in town is not effected if u shift right and keep rpms down when not wanting to burn fuel.....my car is my dd and i get 22 on highway and in town i drive it like i stole it...i dont worry about mpg's
I get 28-31 on highway
Old 06-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I need resonators

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

I get 28-31 on highway
like i said only on hwy does it affect mpg's that 22 was driving from florida to vt doing 85 plus all the way, in town if i want too i never go over 2000rpms on the hwy if i wanted to drive the speed limit i could get 28 all day with 4.10's its all in the drivers right foot, just because on paper it says higher rpms doesnt mean you have too?? and off the line those 4.10s will eat up 331'or 355's all day long
Old 06-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ooops that's what u meant! Haha.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Forced induction!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #23
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
I'm looking for some performance upgrades this summer. I was thinking either:
1- Bama Tune and Airraid CAI
2- Borla ATAK Axle-Back
3- 3.55 Gear Ratios?
I need some more info on the gear ratios and what it does to the car. I'm not really familiar with it at all. Also any other ideas for performance upgrades!
I would recommend starting with a Bama Custom tune and CAI. This will definitely deliver some awesome power gains, along with a ton of other improvements! Such as, Torque, acceleration, drive ability, gas mileage, throttle response, shift points (If Auto) Etc...

Exhaust will just be Music to your ears. You won't pick up any power from just an axle-back, but it sure will sound great! Gears is also a great modification. This is one of the most beneficial mods you can do for a Mustang!

Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post

I would recommend starting with a Bama Custom tune and CAI. This will definitely deliver some awesome power gains, along with a ton of other improvements! Such as, Torque, acceleration, drive ability, gas mileage, throttle response, shift points (If Auto) Etc...

Exhaust will just be Music to your ears. You won't pick up any power from just an axle-back, but it sure will sound great! Gears is also a great modification. This is one of the most beneficial mods you can do for a Mustang!

Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Shouldn't you get the gears first considering you have to tune it after that? It would only make sense to get the 4:10s and then the Bama tune and CAI right? Or does that not matter
Old 06-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Shouldn't you get the gears first considering you have to tune it after that? It would only make sense to get the 4:10s and then the Bama tune and CAI right? Or does that not matter
I got the bama tune and cai first and then gears. I don't think it matters. your strongest gains will come from the tune and gears. the cai is jus eye candy and sound at least for me
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

For a GT the CAI is also a power adder ... Our Steeda CAI on the dyno will typically see 9 to 12 horsepower over the stock airbox, mostly above 4,000rpm.

Add a tune ... depending on the year ... and you will see combined gains into the 30's for the 13-14 model and even higher in the pre 13 models (Ford Raised the HP numbers in 13 to 420HP)

On the V6 - Combined with the required custom tune using an SCT X3 Flash programming device we have achieved dramatic power increases of up to 20hp and 30ft/lbs of torque.

Let me know if you have any questions?

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I don't have STeeda but if I were to do it all again i would have gotten STeeda if your looking at what brand cai to get. I've heard nothing but good things bout them
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If u get the tuner 1st u'll gain some performance & then when u add gears u ready have the tuner ready to go.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
For a GT the CAI is also a power adder ... Our Steeda CAI on the dyno will typically see 9 to 12 horsepower over the stock airbox, mostly above 4,000rpm.

Add a tune ... depending on the year ... and you will see combined gains into the 30's for the 13-14 model and even higher in the pre 13 models (Ford Raised the HP numbers in 13 to 420HP)

On the V6 - Combined with the required custom tune using an SCT X3 Flash programming device we have achieved dramatic power increases of up to 20hp and 30ft/lbs of torque.

Let me know if you have any questions?

Best Regards,

TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
I don't have STeeda but if I were to do it all again i would have gotten STeeda if your looking at what brand cai to get. I've heard nothing but good things bout them
Agreed, I love my Steeda CAI
Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Black on Black ... glad to hear it & we appreciate your support ... now if we could just get the others to listen, lol.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #31
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
We recommend doing the Tuner and CAI before gears. We can adjust your speedo, for the added gear ratio! So if you don't tune your car for the gears, then the speedo will be off by X amount.

I hope this helps!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
Black on Black ... glad to hear it & we appreciate your support ... now if we could just get the others to listen, lol.

Best Regards,

TJ
I always stand by good products. Thanks for a great American made product.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang