Gear Ratios - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
RCE ETR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Elko
Region: Nevada
Posts: 13
3:73 vs 4:10 and why? Which will give more feedback and power etc
RCE ETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Depends on your driving requirements. Are you primarily a stop/go city type driver that wants quicker launches? Then go with the 4:10. However, if you do any highway driving at all, expect a screaming RPM range at highway speeds.

And much lower fuel mileage then you are getting now, depending on what ratio you currently have.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:53 AM   #3
Registered User
Newbie
 
RCE ETR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Elko
Region: Nevada
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Depends on your driving requirements. Are you primarily a stop/go city type driver that wants quicker launches? Then go with the 4:10. However, if you do any highway driving at all, expect a screaming RPM range at highway speeds.

And much lower fuel mileage then you are getting now, depending on what ratio you currently have.
So will the 3:73 be a little better on the highway versus the 4:10? I'm primary a stop/go driver that takes off from a dig but I don't want to be riding 4K+ rpm going 70 either.
RCE ETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-19-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black8thElement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCE ETR View Post

So will the 3:73 be a little better on the highway versus the 4:10? I'm primary a stop/go driver that takes off from a dig but I don't want to be riding 4K+ rpm going 70 either.
I think you will like 4:10's more, like you said you're a stop and go driver mostly. For me personally I rarely get that high mph on the highway due to cops anyway. They profile sports cars in my city so I just cruise the highway so even if you had more aggressive gears it shouldn't be that bad if you're easy on the pedal. I understand fuel economy and all but it's a Mustang bro if you drive fast she will eat gas...
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
13 stang22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: fort worth
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,006
I have 4.10s and I love them. I switched from 3.73 cause I messed them up. lol. my 0-60 went down 2/10 of second and my mpg went up from 22 to 23-24. I do use the highway twice a week. don't believe the crap people say about it hurting your top end. I'm not gonna say how fast I've gone cause I don't want people getting mad at me for street racing but you won't regret the 4.10s! you need upper/lower control arms tho or else you will fish tail everywhere off the line.

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

I forgot to mention I do get slightly worse mpg on the highway. it doesn't change the average tho cuz I mostly do city driving.
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
Registered User
Newbie
 
RCE ETR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Elko
Region: Nevada
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
I have 4.10s and I love them. I switched from 3.73 cause I messed them up. lol. my 0-60 went down 2/10 of second and my mpg went up from 22 to 23-24. I do use the highway twice a week. don't believe the crap people say about it hurting your top end. I'm not gonna say how fast I've gone cause I don't want people getting mad at me for street racing but you won't regret the 4.10s! you need upper/lower control arms tho or else you will fish tail everywhere off the line.
Do you think a slip diff would do the trick distributing power evenly or do you recommend control arms? Once you change out your gears do you have to tune it then and there? I have a Bama tune right now and I'm just curious if ill have to retune everything if I upgrade to 4:10s
RCE ETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
13 stang22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: fort worth
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCE ETR View Post

Do you think a slip diff would do the trick distributing power evenly or do you recommend control arms? Once you change out your gears do you have to tune it then and there? I have a Bama tune right now and I'm just curious if ill have to retune everything if I upgrade to 4:10s
I couldn't tell you much about slip diff but control arms solved everything for me. and yes you for sure need a tune. I'm pretty sure bama has free tunes for life. if you go 4.10 you need some kind of traction mod.
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Registered User
Newbie
 
RCE ETR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Elko
Region: Nevada
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post

I couldn't tell you much about slip diff but control arms solved everything for me. and yes you for sure need a tune. I'm pretty sure bama has free tunes for life. if you go 4.10 you need some kind of traction mod.
Alright thanks! That will help a lot!
RCE ETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCE ETR View Post
So will the 3:73 be a little better on the highway versus the 4:10? I'm primary a stop/go driver that takes off from a dig but I don't want to be riding 4K+ rpm going 70 either.
Your RPMs will be higher on the highway with 4:10's, but if you rarely drive on the highway, then this is not an issue for you.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sanguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 1,623
Hopefully you have an automatic if you're considering 4.10s Otherwise, I feel sorry for you clutch foot with all that shifting.

I'd personally never go over 3.73, if it was a DD... probably not over 3.55s. Gas mileage issue, which isn't a consideration for some people, but I like saving gas.
__________________
'13 'Stang V6 - MT82 - GHIG Ordered: 5/31 Pickup: 7/3
35% Tint, Homemade Intake (1, 2), GT500 Heat Extractor/Splash Guards, Custom Gas Cap
Barton Shifter Bracket, GHIG Shift Knob


'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:17 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
I have 4.10s and I love them. I switched from 3.73 cause I messed them up. lol. my 0-60 went down 2/10 of second and my mpg went up from 22 to 23-24. I do use the highway twice a week. don't believe the crap people say about it hurting your top end. I'm not gonna say how fast I've gone cause I don't want people getting mad at me for street racing but you won't regret the 4.10s! you need upper/lower control arms tho or else you will fish tail everywhere off the line.

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

I forgot to mention I do get slightly worse mpg on the highway. it doesn't change the average tho cuz I mostly do city driving.
May I ask how u mess up 373s hahah
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
13 stang22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: fort worth
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

May I ask how u mess up 373s hahah
idk how it happened but I was driving fast and everything was fine until I heard this loud noise like metal on metal. I thought it was my DS but I thought I woulda been dead or at least slowed down. I drove to a friends garage. it was making a bunch noises the whole way but he checked the DS and it was perfectly fine. so that wa a relief. so me n him had no idea what it was until he opened up the gears and found that the gears' teeth had been like gnawed down. and ALL the pinions bearings-everything fell out into pieces. I've had these gears for months and no problem until now. I've gone plenty fast in the past with them and no problems. we put 4.10s in and he said I shoulda done that a long time ago. we still have no idea why that happened.
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
bigmac3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cleburne
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,036
The other day I did a little research for a friend who has a V6 Hyundai Genesis. They are roughly Korea's answer to the Mustang plus they have IRS. Their manual trans comes with 3.73s and their autos come with 4.11s. It showed at 70mph the auto-engine runs a bit over 3400rpm. So you can go by that. One other point is NASCAR racecars run 4.10 gears and don't seem to have much trouble with top end (of course they have 9K+ redlines).
__________________
Frank
1989 Blue LX Hatchback
2001 Red SVT Cobra Convertible (Phoenix)
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post

idk how it happened but I was driving fast and everything was fine until I heard this loud noise like metal on metal. I thought it was my DS but I thought I woulda been dead or at least slowed down. I drove to a friends garage. it was making a bunch noises the whole way but he checked the DS and it was perfectly fine. so that wa a relief. so me n him had no idea what it was until he opened up the gears and found that the gears' teeth had been like gnawed down. and ALL the pinions bearings-everything fell out into pieces. I've had these gears for months and no problem until now. I've gone plenty fast in the past with them and no problems. we put 4.10s in and he said I shoulda done that a long time ago. we still have no idea why that happened.
I'm just want to ask you why you would drive it to his shop AFTER it started making all of that noise?!
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
13 stang22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: fort worth
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post

I'm just want to ask you why you would drive it to his shop AFTER it started making all of that noise?!
what was I suppose to do
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post

what was I suppose to do
Pull over and have it towed. That's why you have a warranty and insurance.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
ak_stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Alaska
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
The other day I did a little research for a friend who has a V6 Hyundai Genesis. They are roughly Korea's answer to the Mustang plus they have IRS. Their manual trans comes with 3.73s and their autos come with 4.11s. It showed at 70mph the auto-engine runs a bit over 3400rpm. So you can go by that. One other point is NASCAR racecars run 4.10 gears and don't seem to have much trouble with top end (of course they have 9K+ redlines).
I'm willing to guess the transmission has completely different gear ratios than the mustang, it would be best to use a gear calculator you can find them online and I believe American muscle has a chart
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
I have an 11 v6 automatic and have 3:73 gears. Love them and no regrets. My rpm's are around 2300 when cruising 70 mph. 80 mph around 2600 to 2700 rpm's, give or take. I have factory tires and able to run 0-60 mph between 4.6 to 4.8 seconds all day long on flat dry surface. I am thrilled with my 3:73 gear ratio. Of course I do have other bolt on mods but love the gears.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
13 stang22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: fort worth
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post

I'm just want to ask you why you would drive it to his shop AFTER it started making all of that noise?!
what was I suppose to do

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post

Pull over and have it towed. That's why you have a warranty and insurance.
my warranty is so far gone. and it was a few blocks away. everything is good now. that's all that matters.
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post

what was I suppose to do

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------



my warranty is so far gone. and it was a few blocks away. everything is good now. that's all that matters.
You are past your 60k drive train warranty on a '13?!
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #21
Registered Member

Regular
 
JimC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 1,224
With aftermarket gears the rear end warranty was already gone anyway.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
13 stang22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: fort worth
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post

You are past your 60k drive train warranty on a '13?!
no lol that's not what I meant. I meant I don't think I have a warranty anymore because of the mods. would ford even look at it if it was aftermarket?
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post

no lol that's not what I meant. I meant I don't think I have a warranty anymore because of the mods. would ford even look at it if it was aftermarket?
That's not the point. I was simply talking about having it towed. Your insurance should've towed it for free and ford might have depending on your coverage
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
13 stang22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: fort worth
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post

That's not the point. I was simply talking about having it towed. Your insurance should've towed it for free and ford might have depending on your coverage
and I think you are right. if it happens again I will do that. at the time i was very mad and wanted it to get looked at asap.
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
Your insurance will pay for towing??? Lucky.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #26
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
bigmac3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cleburne
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,036
If yours doesn't, you need to add it to your policy. It's only about $2/month.
__________________
Frank
1989 Blue LX Hatchback
2001 Red SVT Cobra Convertible (Phoenix)
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
If yours doesn't, you need to add it to your policy. It's only about $2/month.
Cool, didn't know! Its something I'll look into after my warranty's up!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

Cool, didn't know! Its something I'll look into after my warranty's up!
It's called roadside assistance. Most carriers add it to your policy and don't tell you so they can make more money off of you. Look at your policy, most full coverage policies have it.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #29
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
bigmac3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cleburne
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,036
Mine actually says towing on the policy and it runs $28.32/year. It covers the first $80.00 of a breakdown tow and 100% for an accident tow.
__________________
Frank
1989 Blue LX Hatchback
2001 Red SVT Cobra Convertible (Phoenix)
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
Well I have it with ford for 5 years so I wouldn't be needing it until then.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:37 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
RocknCali's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oceanside
Region: California
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I have an 11 v6 automatic and have 3:73 gears. Love them and no regrets. My rpm's are around 2300 when cruising 70 mph. 80 mph around 2600 to 2700 rpm's, give or take. I have factory tires and able to run 0-60 mph between 4.6 to 4.8 seconds all day long on flat dry surface. I am thrilled with my 3:73 gear ratio. Of course I do have other bolt on mods but love the gears.
Unless you've added some other serious mods, your auto isn't running 4.anything with just gear upgrade...
RocknCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:30 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknCali View Post

Unless you've added some other serious mods, your auto isn't running 4.anything with just gear upgrade...
I have more than 3:73 gears. Just a few more mods. All n/a
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
13 stang22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: fort worth
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknCali View Post

Unless you've added some other serious mods, your auto isn't running 4.anything with just gear upgrade...
there are a few people doin 5.0 and 4.9 sec stock on YouTube. it's definitely possible. I'm doing 4.1 but I am FI. before FI was doin similar to kona. it's def possible. check it out
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #34
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
bigmac3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cleburne
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,036
FI? New to all this hi-tech terminology. We're all Fuel Injected, so I'm lost here. Thx.
__________________
Frank
1989 Blue LX Hatchback
2001 Red SVT Cobra Convertible (Phoenix)
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
FI? New to all this hi-tech terminology. We're all Fuel Injected, so I'm lost here. Thx.
Forced Induction....Turbo/Supercharger
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



11:53 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.