Miata V6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-22-2013, 04:44 AM   #1

Region: Georgia
Miata V6

About 2 years ago i posted a topic about using a 3.7L V6 in a Miata. Ive finally got my car, currently looking for engine. Does anyone have engine specs for the new 3.7L V6? I cant find measurements and such for the life of me. I even work at a Ford dealership now and still can't find the info I'm looking for lol
Mazdabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I have seen a mustang with a gto motor in it so a 3.7 should fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3503519612.jpg
Views:	1474
Size:	448.2 KB
ID:	115093  
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Miata not mustang lol
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
It sure would be a great combination.

A 305 HP 3.7 Mustang V6 in a Miata would be just plain """SICK"""

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #5

My model is a 1993 Miata. The engine bay may be smaller than that second gen you posted with a GTO engine. Pretty neat how they fit those in there. Im pretty sure it's a narrow engine, definitely not a 90 degree like the 5.0s?
Old 06-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdabeast View Post
My model is a 1993 Miata. The engine bay may be smaller than that second gen you posted with a GTO engine. Pretty neat how they fit those in there. Im pretty sure it's a narrow engine, definitely not a 90 degree like the 5.0s?
There is an outfit somewhere that jammed a Vette motor in a Saturn Sky. So the 3.7 should fit in the Miata.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Why don't you just put in a squirrel and a couple of rubber bands?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastV6 View Post

There is an outfit somewhere that jammed a Vette motor in a Saturn Sky. So the 3.7 should fit in the Miata.
I've seen a vette engine in a miata it was cool as ****
TruChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:27 AM   #9
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

You can put a 5.0 in that Miata. That would be even better.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:02 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
You can put a 5.0 in that Miata. That would be even better.
Look at these 5.0 guys trying to steal out shine we get ONE dude that wants to use our engine & ur trying to take him away!? Get outta here! Lmao.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:42 AM   #11
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Not really. Just making a suggestion for some power and torque. I'm talking the old school 5.0's though.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:33 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Not really. Just making a suggestion for some power and torque. I'm talking the old school 5.0's though.
I was just joking don't mind me!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:41 AM   #13

Yeah there are a lot of V8 converters out there. They say the LS1 is better engine to use than 5.0. I just want to be different. Besides the 3.7produces same power as LS1, weighs less and has better gas mileage than my 1.6 i have now. Power/gas mileage... I like the sound of that.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

No way I would use a computer controlled engine

Before you start ragging me just read. If I were going to go through all of the trouble to put a V8 in a Miata, I would not use any computer controlled engine.
I would just get a complete small block carbarated engine from Ford Racing and go from there. No Computers, Just a good old fashioned Hot Rod when finished. I know the Computer controlled stuff is more efficient and gets better MPG but who really cares when your building a hot rod? A nice light weight engine in a car like that would be dynamite.
No computer means you can work on it with a few Sears Craftmen tools at home in your garage if needed. Just plain old school real Hot Rod fun.

This is what I would do but it is not my Miata or $$$$$$ so what I would do don;t count anyway.

Ronnie

PS: Sometimes I hate being old and broke and missing the good old street rodding days so much.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Before you start ragging me just read. If I were going to go through all of the trouble to put a V8 in a Miata, I would not use any computer controlled engine.
I would just get a complete small block carbarated engine from Ford Racing and go from there. No Computers, Just a good old fashioned Hot Rod when finished. I know the Computer controlled stuff is more efficient and gets better MPG but who really cares when your building a hot rod? A nice light weight engine in a car like that would be dynamite.
No computer means you can work on it with a few Sears Craftmen tools at home in your garage if needed. Just plain old school real Hot Rod fun.

This is what I would do but it is not my Miata or $$$$$$ so what I would do don;t count anyway.

Ronnie

PS: Sometimes I hate being old and broke and missing the good old street rodding days so much.
I would do the same!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #16

Convertor is almost converted... What about handling issues? Im under impression they don't handle worth a flip once u put a V8 into it? At least I've read a underlining issues relegated to understeer?
Old 06-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #17

Is this feasible? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fm...63ft/overview/ As far as it being aluminum and such can u use nitrous on it with modifying it?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #18
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Try the website for the TV show "GEARS", as they did a series of episodes about a year ago where they swapped a V8 into a Miata. While they might not have the 3.7 V6 measurements, they may have links to sites that offer conversion kits that do.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #19
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

Ronnie

The newer engines are lighter, more HP per cubic inch, and with FI, so much easier to tune than on outdated carb engine. Time to move into the 21st century Ronnie. Our 3.7 V6 puts out more HP then most of the small block v8's of the 60's and 70's. I too miss the old days, but todays engines are so much more economical to run with. Holly, Edelbrock, and others make easy to install FI kits with all the wiring harnesses and ECU/PCM boxes that even old farts like us can install. Most of my tools in the 3 tier tool box don't get used anymore.

Anyone need a dwell meter, a timing light, and engine anylizer? How about a set of point gappers?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #20

It's true. However the electrical part would be an intimidating nightmare if you don't like that kind of thing. Im glad you guys like my idea. I hope to see someone do it before i do tho, this is gonna be awhile. Btw... What kind of suspension would you recommend in any of these swaps?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdabeast View Post
It's true. However the electrical part would be an intimidating nightmare if you don't like that kind of thing. Im glad you guys like my idea. I hope to see someone do it before i do tho, this is gonna be awhile. Btw... What kind of suspension would you recommend in any of these swaps?
Suspension is everything with these kind of swaps. You will have power and light weight but if your suspension can't handle it then all that work is just nice to look at.
TruChris is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang