Flashers vs Governor - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular
 
mrkrabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Removing the limiter is easy. Just buy a performance tuner. I have one for past two years. Forget that flasher crap. I purchased a one piece aluminium driveshaft from american muscle for my 11 v6 and real happy with it. What a huge visible difference in the two of them when my stock DS was taken out. Worth the piece of mind should I want to travel 140 plus. The car feels to shift smoother with the one piece and less rotational mass than the two piece.
I plan on getting one also. My first mods will be a tune+CAI combo, and a new shaft. Not because I'm afraid of it exploding, but because it improves performance.
mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz View Post

I plan on getting one also. My first mods will be a tune+CAI combo, and a new shaft. Not because I'm afraid of it exploding, but because it improves performance.
Definitely bro. I feel it had improved my off the line acceleration and car pulls a bit harder when punching it at stop light. I have a Airaid CAI and real happy with it but I'm sure others like Steeda or BBK will work great too. I like the sound the cai makes when you floor the pedal and the air is getting sucked up. My two reasons I chose Airraid was because American Muscle used it on its v6 project car. At the time I purchased the CAI , Airraid was giving a 50 dollar factory rebate. Very rare.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz View Post

I plan on getting one also. My first mods will be a tune+CAI combo, and a new shaft. Not because I'm afraid of it exploding, but because it improves performance.
If your not tracking it or planning on hit ridiculous speeds this is the reason why anyone should replace it! +1
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

If your not tracking it or planning on hit ridiculous speeds this is the reason why anyone should replace it! +1
You never know when one might get an itch for some serious speed and open that bad a## pony up on a closed, private course. Lol.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular
 
mrkrabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
You never know when one might get an itch for some serious speed and open that bad a## pony up. Lol.
Central Texas 130 toll road. Ermahgerd!!
mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz View Post

Central Texas 130 toll road. Ermahgerd!!
That's right bro. I feel the need for speed and we got 305 ponies to do it with. Lmao.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

You never know when one might get an itch for some serious speed and open that bad a## pony up. Lol.
Lol, well before I do AM will be selling another ds! Lol. But really I'm not all that worried, I have no immediate plans on track my ride, I'm more of a 0- 100km guy anyways. Lol
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

Lol, well before I do AM will be selling another ds! Lol. But really I'm not all that worried, I have no immediate plans on track my ride, I'm more of a 0- 100km guy anyways. Lol
I too love the off line acceleration of my pony. Amazing what a few thousand in bolt on mods can do to really transform your pony.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

I too love the off line acceleration of my pony. Amazing what a few thousand in bolt on mods can do to really transform your pony.
Gears and tune shortly! Gotta get these 2.73s out!!!!!!!!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

Gears and tune shortly! Gotta get these 2.73s out!!!!!!!!
Amen to that. I got rid of my 2:73 gears months ago . I now have 3:73 gears.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Amen to that. I got rid of my 2:73 gears months ago . I now have 3:73 gears.
Night and day? Auto or manual?
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular
 
mrkrabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 767
Are the gears that come with the performance package good enough? Or should I upgrade those as well. I believe they're 3.31's
mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz View Post
Are the gears that come with the performance package good enough? Or should I upgrade those as well. I believe they're 3.31's
3:31 gears is not a bad gear but I was looking for something with a little more power down low. I wanted the perfect blend for off the line acceleration and highway traveling. 3:73 gears I believe are perfect for that. Having 3:73 gears really puts amazing off line acceleration power on our cars. One of the biggest complaints about our v6 models is its low end torque power, installing 3:73 gears really changes that low end grunt.

For me, I was not going to pay Ford the $300 to put 3:31 gears in and then pay another 5 to 6 hundred dollars to install 3:73 gears later. I just put that money into the gearing that I really wanted. It is a real kick in the teeth going from 2:73 gears too 3:73 gears, it's like I have a different vehicle.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular
 
Midnight2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Region: California
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz View Post

My point is that the drive shaft will not automatically explode at 135 as you are suggesting. Yes AM sells a once piece drive shaft which would improve safety at high speeds, being that it is stronger, but it is possible to take the stock shaft past 150 if under the right conditions, and if you don't push it to hard. That's all i'm saying. The only thing I'm arguing is your assumption that every shaft is defective and can't sustain anything over 135.
I also pointed out that your "10+ videos on youtube" turned out to be only 2. Two failures out of thousands of cars sold. That's not the massive issue that you're making it out to be.
Exactly! There are literally thousands of videos saying Elvis Presley is alive. Doesn't make it so.

I'm still waiting for one of those cars on a dyno run to come flying loose.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post

Exactly! There are literally thousands of videos saying Elvis Presley is alive. Doesn't make it so.

I'm still waiting for one of those cars on a dyno run to come flying loose.
Elvis is alive???? Damn, the king has returned. Lmao.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #51
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
My error on the flashers disabling the cruise; it's the brake light circuit that's tied to the cruise circuit and not the turn signal/flashers.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular
 
Midnight2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Region: California
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
My error on the flashers disabling the cruise; it's the brake light circuit that's tied to the cruise circuit and not the turn signal/flashers.
Brake light circuit not brake lights. Cruise will still work if both brake lights are burned out. It's that little switch tied into your brake pedal. Thanks for your help.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #53
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
bigmac3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cleburne
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,036
I also stand corrected. I tried the flashers this morning and they had no effect on the cruise control. I could have swore it worked on some of my older cars. Probably just a bad case of CRS.
__________________
Frank
1989 Blue LX Hatchback
2001 Red SVT Cobra Convertible (Phoenix)
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #54
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
Brake light circuit not brake lights. Cruise will still work if both brake lights are burned out. It's that little switch tied into your brake pedal. Thanks for your help.
Yes, brake light circuit. We might want to check that theory of the brake lights being out...on my 2005 F150, if the builbs were burned out, the cruise stopped working. The cruise circuit would enable based on the resistance it detected in the brake circuit; if one bulb was out, or if an LED bulb was inserted without a load resister built into the LED build (or manually soldered in), the cruise would not enable. Ford went to this in the F150's instead of using the "switch" you refer to on the brake pedal; why, I don't know. Many guys that replaced the third brake light on the cab with a cheap LED one that did not have a load resistor found that the cruise stopped working. Same held true with simple LED bulbs with no load resistors.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular
 
Midnight2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Region: California
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Yes, brake light circuit. We might want to check that theory of the brake lights being out...on my 2005 F150, if the builbs were burned out, the cruise stopped working. The cruise circuit would enable based on the resistance it detected in the brake circuit; if one bulb was out, or if an LED bulb was inserted without a load resister built into the LED build (or manually soldered in), the cruise would not enable. Ford went to this in the F150's instead of using the "switch" you refer to on the brake pedal; why, I don't know. Many guys that replaced the third brake light on the cab with a cheap LED one that did not have a load resistor found that the cruise stopped working. Same held true with simple LED bulbs with no load resistors.
I'm gonna have to take your word for it. With 3 sequential lights per side I'm not about to take mine out to find out. All our other Fords over the years only ever had 1 light burned out at a time. It just seems silly to me to tie it into the light. But then so do other regulations such as speed limiters at 113 on a V6 and 145 on a V8. Or laws that make it illegal to modify your car but not illegal to sell the parts. Anyone out there want to experiment?
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #56
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
I know it sounds illogical, but it's true with the F150's, and I suspect it is the same with all models these days.

I went out and bought some LED bulbs to replace a burned out brake/taillight bulb (1157 dual filliment) in my 2005 F150. Headed out of Texas to drive home to Florida. Once on the highway, I tried to set the cruise; it did not work. Once home in Florida, I replaced the LED bulbs with filliment type ones, and the cruise worked again. I posted this finding on the F150Forum, and found that the brake light circuit is tied into the cruise activation/deactivation from many members of that site. This is how Ford detected the brakes were on/off, (by monitoring the resistance/amperage in the brake circuit), and using that to enable/disable the cruise. So, instead of the "switch" at the base of the brake pedal to enable/disable the cruise, it switched to using the "load" detected in the brake circuit.

Our mustangs use LED taillights, so I'm sure they have load resisters built into the circuit, as LED's have a much lower current draw that conventinal filiment bulbs. This overal has a lower drain on the electrical system, so the alternator has less of a job to do as well in the way of keeping the battery charged.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular
 
stangerbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Buffalo
Region: New York
Posts: 26
Im new to the forum and don't mean to change the topic back to old news but I seen no one brought up the fact that Ford has changed driveshafts for the v6 mustang. I don't remember the part numbers exactly but it was changes once in early 2012 from A-xxxx to B-xxxx and then again late 2012 from B to C . It appears as though Ford has put a telescoping one piece in the v6 part number C-xxxxx, C being the most current. There are a couple vids of the v6s doing 150+ claiming with the stock driveshaft. Just wondering if anyone else has heard any word on this!?
stangerbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular
 
Midnight2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Region: California
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangerbanger View Post
Im new to the forum and don't mean to change the topic back to old news but I seen no one brought up the fact that Ford has changed driveshafts for the v6 mustang. I don't remember the part numbers exactly but it was changes once in early 2012 from A-xxxx to B-xxxx and then again late 2012 from B to C . It appears as though Ford has put a telescoping one piece in the v6 part number C-xxxxx, C being the most current. There are a couple vids of the v6s doing 150+ claiming with the stock driveshaft. Just wondering if anyone else has heard any word on this!?
Do t know but the videos on failures are 2011. Got build dates? Could have sworn mines 2 PC and it was built 1/31/12.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular
 
stangerbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Buffalo
Region: New York
Posts: 26
Ill do some more digging on it and get back to you on build dates and actual part numbers and some specs if I can find them
stangerbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular
 
RocknCali's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oceanside
Region: California
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangerbanger View Post
Ill do some more digging on it and get back to you on build dates and actual part numbers and some specs if I can find them
Yeah I actually believe that even the 2011's have a lightweight 1 piece DS. The current driveshaft though was built to keep fuel efficiency high so it can't handle the higher speeds.

PS the 5.0's are built with a heavy duty 2 piece DS that allows them to go up to like 180 without failure I believe??
RocknCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknCali View Post

Yeah I actually believe that even the 2011's have a lightweight 1 piece DS. The current driveshaft though was built to keep fuel efficiency high so it can't handle the higher speeds.

PS the 5.0's are built with a heavy duty 2 piece DS that allows them to go up to like 180 without failure I believe??
My 2011 came with two piece driveshaft not one piece.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular
 
stangerbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Buffalo
Region: New York
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknCali View Post

Yeah I actually believe that even the 2011's have a lightweight 1 piece DS. The current driveshaft though was built to keep fuel efficiency high so it can't handle the higher speeds.

PS the 5.0's are built with a heavy duty 2 piece DS that allows them to go up to like 180 without failure I believe??
Well the part numbers are
BR3Z 4602 - A, 3/22/10 - 5/14/12
XXXX XXXX - B, 5/14/12 - 12/4/12
XXXX XXXX - C, 12/4/12 - Current

I contacted my local dealer and he confirmed the dates but had no info on ratings and specs for the part. I then called Ford performance and they had no info as well. They told me that the v6 mustangs and the v8 mustangs have the same tranny setup as well as driveshafts now too. If this is the case then the C model DS should be able to handle the speeds of a v8. Sounds good on paper idk how true.

I went to the Ford parts website and checked the part numbers of the two, v6 and v8.

V6 xxxx 4602 - c, $302 brand new
V8 xxxx 4R602 - x, $612 brand new
So now I have no clue what's what, and apperently Ford performance guys don't either
stangerbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular
 
BlackedStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangerbanger

Well the part numbers are
BR3Z 4602 - A, 3/22/10 - 5/14/12
XXXX XXXX - B, 5/14/12 - 12/4/12
XXXX XXXX - C, 12/4/12 - Current

I contacted my local dealer and he confirmed the dates but had no info on ratings and specs for the part. I then called Ford performance and they had no info as well. They told me that the v6 mustangs and the v8 mustangs have the same tranny setup as well as driveshafts now too. If this is the case then the C model DS should be able to handle the speeds of a v8. Sounds good on paper idk how true.

I went to the Ford parts website and checked the part numbers of the two, v6 and v8.

V6 xxxx 4602 - c, $302 brand new
V8 xxxx 4R602 - x, $612 brand new
So now I have no clue what's what, and apperently Ford performance guys don't either
They are different part #s but they are both 2-piece nonetheless. There was a thread about this on another forum I believe. A few 13 owners actually went under there cars and took a photo of the DS and it was the same crappy 2-piece.
__________________
2012 V6 Performance Package
BlackedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular
 
stangerbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Buffalo
Region: New York
Posts: 26
Well if its the same than its not as crappy for the post 12/4/12 build v6s as we thought.....it means no DS failure at 135, I hope.
stangerbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular
 
Midnight2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Region: California
Posts: 790
I would suggest they are 2 different lengths due to the difference in size of the engines. Also I tend to think the v8 one would be stronger to handle the added torque but they didn't do that with the tranny and rear ends.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular
 
stangerbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Buffalo
Region: New York
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
I would suggest they are 2 different lengths due to the difference in size of the engines. Also I tend to think the v8 one would be stronger to handle the added torque but they didn't do that with the tranny and rear ends.
That's the same thing I thought but who knows, here's a video of a v6 hitting 160. Ill probably just put in a front and mid DS safety loop and be the test mule for this topic.

stangerbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular
 
Midnight2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Region: California
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangerbanger View Post

That's the same thing I thought but who knows, here's a video of a v6 hitting 160. Ill probably just put in a front and mid DS safety loop and be the test mule for this topic.

Get a helmet and roll bar!
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post

Get a helmet and roll bar!
Damn even his check engine light came on. You know that ain't good. Lol
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular
 
ArtU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,067
Isn't' that the Graceland TV show now?
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular
 
ArtU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,067
Ok, then why are stock GT drive shafts are having more failures the the V6? One listed was because the owners kid was doing burnouts in a open parking lot.

[Answer, more abuse of a more powerful motor leads to more failures.]
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



09:52 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.