Flashers vs Governor - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular
 
ArtU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,067
V8 drive shafts are a different length than the V6, lots of old posts on this.
OK, if you are fearing a drive shaft drop and have your car flip like the one on the late 60's Howard Cosell ABC wide world of sports..... The Thrill of Victory, the agony of defeat...then was losers...

It seems technology came about about a month after that; called a drive shaft loop the NHRA requires in certain classes. So instead of "stressin" about your SHAFT might DROP, how about put a condom on it and use a drive shaft loop to keep any damage from happening.

Really, the drive shaft loop was standard after that car on ABC flipped once its shaft hit a mole hole in the concrete and that was then end of the story.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular
 
stangerbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Buffalo
Region: New York
Posts: 26
Yeah ill probably just do a driveshaft loop and let it rip....if it goes then ill do an aftermarket
stangerbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular
 
ArtU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangerbanger View Post
Yeah ill probably just do a driveshaft loop and let it rip....if it goes then ill do an aftermarket
That is a wise Risk Mitigation Tactic. Even an aftermarket driveshaft can blow. Life is full of risk taking and risk mitigation.

So the safety loop really should be the first step anyone takes to mitigate risk from driveshaft failure.

0 risk mitigation
Stock Driveshaft and no loop
1 stage of risk mitigation
Driveshaft loop installed, now NHRA approved loop.
2 level of mitigation
Drive shaft loop and upgraded drive shaft to "XYZ" standard"

Can anyone on this forum point to a driveshaft standard to apply to the 2 stage of risk mitigation? I am not a drag racer so I don't know. Plenty of standards exist in my day job world like NIST etc.

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #74
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
V8 drive shafts are a different length than the V6, lots of old posts on this.
OK, if you are fearing a drive shaft drop and have your car flip like the one on the late 60's Howard Cosell ABC wide world of sports..... The Thrill of Victory, the agony of defeat...then was losers...

It seems technology came about about a month after that; called a drive shaft loop the NHRA requires in certain classes. So instead of "stressin" about your SHAFT might DROP, how about put a condom on it and use a drive shaft loop to keep any damage from happening.

Really, the drive shaft loop was standard after that car on ABC flipped once its shaft hit a mole hole in the concrete and that was then end of the story.
Myth busters tried to flip a car with a driveshaft and huge pot hole. It just tore the back end out instead of flipping. Don't know if that's relevant or not but hey, input is input.
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular
 
mrkrabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Myth busters tried to flip a car with a driveshaft and huge pot hole. It just tore the back end out instead of flipping. Don't know if that's relevant or not but hey, input is input.
Exactly, and they even had a perfect hole in the road for the driveshaft to catch in. The odds of a driveshaft snap flipping your car are next to none. You should worry more about the damage that it would cause. It would probably shred the bottom of your pony, costing a lot to fix!
mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #76
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Besides, the driveshafts that did break did so at speeds way above the posted speed limits in the U.S. (baring that of the highway in Texas...), Should one decide to drive over the speed limit, or on highways with no posted speed limit, then they need to make sure the car is equipped to do so, at their own expense.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #77
Registered Member
Regular
 
Midnight2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Region: California
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Besides, the dirveshafts that did break did so at speeds way above the posted speed limits in the U.S. (baring that of the highway in Texas...), Should one decide to drive over the speed limit, or on highways with no posted speed limit, then they need to make sure the car is equipped to do so, at their own expense.
Max speed in Texas is 80. Although 70 in California most drive 85. Had mine to 110. It better be good for that at least.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #78
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
bigmac3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cleburne
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,036
Max speed in Texas is 80. Although 70 in California most drive 85. Had mine to 110. It better be good for that at least.

Turnpike 130 from Georgetown to San Antonio max speed limit is 85. The day before it opened to the public they used it under supervision of the DPS to set speed records with a couple of Hennesey prepared cars.
__________________
Frank
1989 Blue LX Hatchback
2001 Red SVT Cobra Convertible (Phoenix)
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #79
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
I thought there was a highway in Texas that had speed limits above the national 70 MPH; thanks for the reminder.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #80
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
bigmac3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cleburne
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,036
I thought there was a highway in Texas that had speed limits above the national 70 MPH; thanks for the reminder.

Out west on I-10 and I-20 there are 80mph speed limits. The standard throughout the state on non-urban Interstates is 75mph.
__________________
Frank
1989 Blue LX Hatchback
2001 Red SVT Cobra Convertible (Phoenix)
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #81
Registered Member
Regular
 
mrkrabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 767
The 130 Toll road in Texas has a speed limit of 85mph for about 20 miles. It's the highest speed limit in the country. The best part about it is that it's way out in the boonies, and it's 2 lanes of perfectly paved road with no intersections or lights for over 90 miles. It's also mostley flat and strait for 50-60 miles, so you can see for a good distance in all directions. Cops have stated that they do not patrol it and it's almost always empty. It's my personnel autobahn XD
mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz View Post

Exactly, and they even had a perfect hole in the road for the driveshaft to catch in. The odds of a driveshaft snap flipping your car are next to none. You should worry more about the damage that it would cause. It would probably shred the bottom of your pony, costing a lot to fix!
Or have enough energy to push your console and stuff like that up and ruin the interior too. Safety loop yo
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular
 
stangerbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Buffalo
Region: New York
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz View Post
The 130 Toll road in Texas has a speed limit of 85mph for about 20 miles. It's the highest speed limit in the country. The best part about it is that it's way out in the boonies, and it's 2 lanes of perfectly paved road with no intersections or lights for over 90 miles. It's also mostley flat and strait for 50-60 miles, so you can see for a good distance in all directions. Cops have stated that they do not patrol it and it's almost always empty. It's my personnel autobahn XD
You sir are lucky. I live in Buffalo, NY and there are no speed limits above 65 and those 65 zones are patrolled and enforced pretty good. I have to be careful on when and where I chose to have fun
stangerbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:29 AM   #84
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangerbanger View Post
You sir are lucky. I live in Buffalo, NY and there are no speed limits above 65 and those 65 zones are patrolled and enforced pretty good. I have to be careful on when and where I chose to have fun
Have you tried a track in your area? I commend anyone that keeps the high speed to legal areas.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #85
Registered Member
Regular
 
stangerbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Buffalo
Region: New York
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Have you tried a track in your area? I commend anyone that keeps the high speed to legal areas.
I have, I usually hit the local drag strip Wednesdays for cruise night. The closest circuit track is about 525 bucks for one day of fun. I don't go to it very often unfortunately
stangerbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #86
Registered Member
Regular
 
mrkrabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangerbanger View Post
I have, I usually hit the local drag strip Wednesdays for cruise night. The closest circuit track is about 525 bucks for one day of fun. I don't go to it very often unfortunately
I'm sorry, did you say $500!!!!!! That's absolutely ridiculous. For that, you can drive down to Texas and have fun on our toll road.
mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #87
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
bigmac3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cleburne
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,036
I'm sorry, did you say $500!!!!!! That's absolutely ridiculous. For that, you can drive down to Texas and have fun on our toll road.

We have a closed circuit here in north Texas at Cresson that has open days once a month or so. You can run on it all day for $150.
__________________
Frank
1989 Blue LX Hatchback
2001 Red SVT Cobra Convertible (Phoenix)
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #88
Registered Member
Regular
 
mrkrabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
I'm sorry, did you say $500!!!!!! That's absolutely ridiculous. For that, you can drive down to Texas and have fun on our toll road.

We have a closed circuit here in north Texas at Cresson that has open days once a month or so. You can run on it all day for $150.
That sounds more reasonable.
mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #89
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
bigmac3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cleburne
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,036
Here is a link for anyone interested:

Motorsport Ranch
9012 Performance Ct, Cresson, TX
(817) 512-3162 () ‎ · motorsportranch.com


https://maps.google.com/maps?q=cress...od,+Texas&z=16
__________________
Frank
1989 Blue LX Hatchback
2001 Red SVT Cobra Convertible (Phoenix)
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #90
Registered Member
Regular
 
stangerbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Buffalo
Region: New York
Posts: 26
That's right 500 bucks for the circuit. The drag strip is only 5 bucks per run on Wednesdays......I go have fun there, to bad its only an 1/8th. My area doesn't have much to offer unless I feel like driving pretty far
stangerbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangerbanger View Post

I have, I usually hit the local drag strip Wednesdays for cruise night. The closest circuit track is about 525 bucks for one day of fun. I don't go to it very often unfortunately
525 dollars to ride around a black top track. Are they smoking crack? You said you don't go to it very often. Which means you have gone in the past and paid the 525 bucks to race on the track. Are you smoking crack? Lmao. JK. Bro, forget that, that's insane.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #92
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
bigmac3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cleburne
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,036
My area doesn't have much to offer unless I feel like driving pretty far

It sounds like you may be a bit remote from the bright lights. That indicates to me that you may have some great back roads to explore. Hit it!
__________________
Frank
1989 Blue LX Hatchback
2001 Red SVT Cobra Convertible (Phoenix)
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #93
Registered Member
Regular
 
stangerbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Buffalo
Region: New York
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
My area doesn't have much to offer unless I feel like driving pretty far

It sounds like you may be a bit remote from the bright lights. That indicates to me that you may have some great back roads to explore. Hit it!
I'm right in the middle, city one way country the other. There are definitely some good country roads the winters here tear them up though. Really have to be careful for pot holes and uneven roads and of course deer and cows. They seem to be in the road at the most inconvenient times
stangerbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #94
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
bigmac3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cleburne
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,036
...and of course deer and cows...

They can tend to ruin your whole day.
__________________
Frank
1989 Blue LX Hatchback
2001 Red SVT Cobra Convertible (Phoenix)
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



03:21 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.