Flashers vs Governor - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Flashers vs Governor

A friend told me that if I turn on my flashers, that it will also turn off the governor, as long as the flashers are still on. Is there any truth to this?
mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
since they are two different systems i wouldn't think so...

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Flashers WILL turn off your cruise control.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
Flashers WILL turn off your cruise control.
Correct. Since the flashers use the same circuit as the brake lights, it will indeed turn off the cruise control. The newer vehicles (somewhere around 2001), started using the brake light circuit to kill the cruise control. Many folks found this out when the bought cheap LED taillights for their vehicles, and found out their cruise stopped working. Load resisters were the fix, or buying better kits with built in load resisters.

I doubt the upper speed limit governor gets disabled with the flashers on. Besides, who needs the added attention to the fact you are over the speed limit with the police with the flashers going?

No doubt some member here will try it this weekend and post back......hopefully no one gets hurt.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
LOL!! bucko. I bet someone will try this soon also
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz View Post
A friend told me that if I turn on my flashers, that it will also turn off the governor, as long as the flashers are still on. Is there any truth to this?
Something just tells me driving down the highway at 125+ mph with your flashers on might make things a little too obvious
rotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

He said that it's a safety feature. I guess having flashers on means you're in a hurry and you need to speed. I can see it being plausible, since the governor is electronic, and not a physical switch.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
But just because you're in a hurry, doesn't mean it's a good idea to go THAT fast. Especially if you still have the stock tires and driveshaft. Neither are rated for that kind of speed and you'd just be taking the chance of adding another emergency situation on top of the one you were in a hurry for to begin with.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L View Post
But just because you're in a hurry, doesn't mean it's a good idea to go THAT fast. Especially if you still have the stock tires and driveshaft. Neither are rated for that kind of speed and you'd just be taking the chance of adding another emergency situation on top of the one you were in a hurry for to begin with.
My tires are rated to 180, they came stock with my mustang. The driveshaft has been proven to hit 150+ safely as well, multiple times. So I don't think that would be an issue.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
That may not be the case for some people though. Besides, I really don't think Ford would give us such an easy way of disabling the speed governor that they put in place for safety reasons. Either way, no one should be hitting speeds like that unless they are on a track or drag strip.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L View Post
That may not be the case for some people though. Besides, I really don't think Ford would give us such an easy way of disabling the speed governor that they put in place for safety reasons. Either way, no one should be hitting speeds like that unless they are on a track or drag strip.
Agreed, I was just curious, that's all.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Be careful with that...

SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish View Post
*sigh*...Here we go again...

Have you ever heard of a manufacture defect? That's what this is. Ford even admitted it, and replaced his driveshaft, and fixed all the damage under warranty. The stock drive shaft on the v6 can easily do 150+, as many people have done before.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry to revisit something old. My bad.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish View Post
Sorry to revisit something old. My bad.
No worries, it just frustrates me when there are multiple threads over the same topics, and already solved issues keep rising.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No worries, it just frustrates me when there are multiple threads over the same topics, and already solved issues keep rising.
I just figured if someone thought their flashers would override a speed limiter, then maybe something showing what could happen wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. I have a GT so I'm not often in the V6 section.

Cheers
Old 06-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I've also seen a driveshaft of a GT snap on a dyno before, so be careful when dynoing!
Old 06-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz

Have you ever heard of a manufacture defect? That's what this is. Ford even admitted it, and replaced his driveshaft, and fixed all the damage under warranty. The stock drive shaft on the v6 can easily do 150+, as many people have done before.
Where did you get all that info from? I wouldn't say it's a manufacturer defect considering there have been dozens of these DS problems. It's a weak-link two piece driveshaft, there is a reason Ford put the speed limiter to 113 MPH.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

Quote:

The stock drive shaft on the v6 can easily do 150+, as many people have done before.
Where did you get that from? I wouldn't go near 150 mph with the POS 2-piece DS. Unless your looking to kill yourself. Go on YouTube. There is at least 10 videos of the stock 2-piece DS snapping.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

Correct. Since the flashers use the same circuit as the brake lights, it will indeed turn off the cruise control. The newer vehicles (somewhere around 2001), started using the brake light circuit to kill the cruise control. Many folks found this out when the bought cheap LED taillights for their vehicles, and found out their cruise stopped working. Load resisters were the fix, or buying better kits with built in load resisters.

I doubt the upper speed limit governor gets disabled with the flashers on. Besides, who needs the added attention to the fact you are over the speed limit with the police with the flashers going?

No doubt some member here will try it this weekend and post back......hopefully no one gets hurt.
I certainly wouldn't try a top end run with my flashers on but today on cruise control the emergency flashers being on had no effect what so ever.

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

Quote:

Exactly. People keep spouting dozens of failures yet show no proof.

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

Where did you get all that info from? I wouldn't say it's a manufacturer defect considering there have been dozens of these DS problems. It's a weak-link two piece driveshaft, there is a reason Ford put the speed limiter to 113 MPH.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

Where did you get that from? I wouldn't go near 150 mph with the POS 2-piece DS. Unless your looking to kill yourself. Go on YouTube. There is at least 10 videos of the stock 2-piece DS snapping.
No there isn't. One is the original idiot driving 135+ with a camcorder in 1 hand. Another is a28 second suspected clip. 2 are the same car on a dyno with 2 different camera angles, why? and the last is a GT. out of how many Mustangs sold since 2010?
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'd love you to link me to those "10 youtube videos" of the driveshaft snapping.
Also link me to the "dozens of driveshaft problems" you speak of.
Please and Thank You!
Old 06-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post

Exactly. People keep spouting dozens of failures yet show no proof.

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

No there isn't. One is the original idiot driving 135+ with a camcorder in 1 hand. Another is a28 second suspected clip. 2 are the same car on a dyno with 2 different camera angles, why? and the last is a GT. out of how many Mustangs sold since 2010?
+100000000000
Old 06-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

Tried it in my 2012 and flashers dont turn off the cruise control. Had to try it lol
Mustang Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'd love you to link me to those "10 youtube videos" of the driveshaft snapping.
Also link me to the "dozens of driveshaft problems" you speak of.
Please and Thank You!
I'm at work right now. Can't get all ten because they are in my bookmarks, but believe me there is at the very LEAST ten of them. I just found SIX videos in about 2-3 minutes doing a simple search on YouTube "3.7 mustang driveshaft fail".

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

So, you still think there is no issue here? Still want to go 150 MPH+? I'd sure hope not...It's quite obvious there is a problem with the 2-piece drives-shaft. Just look how it's designed! It's a weak-link!

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

I just don't want anyone thinking they can go 150 MPH safely in the 2011+ V6 with the stock DS and kill them self. That statement is obviously false, and you could get someone injured or killed with that statement.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Quote:
He said that it's a safety feature. I guess having flashers on means you're in a hurry and you need to speed. I can see it being plausible, since the governor is electronic, and not a physical switch.
And does your friend drive a Honda or something? The hazard flashers have nothing to do with your speed limiter.

Oh, and try telling the cop who pulls you over "I had my flashers on so therefore I am allowed to go 125 because I'm in a hurry and need to speed".
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Care to show me where you got this info? I don't see any links...
Old 06-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Anyone going to do 150+ better be aware of more than just ds failure, you also need tires that can handle those types of speeds, and more importantly most drivers may think they can handle speeds like that usually end up on the news either killing someone or them selves! There are reasons there are speed limits and governors, and its just not because of ds failure. Just YouTube mustang fails, you'll see many people that shouldn't even be driving these cars to begin with! Its not just about speed its also about responsibility.
FastFord13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

If your going to track your car or do extreme driving with no limiter you need to use common sense and replace the ds with a one piece or risk having a failure! If you don't intend to track or remove the limiter the factory ds is fine! That should be the rule of thumb.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13
If your going to track your car or do extreme driving with no limiter you need to use common sense and replace the ds with a one piece or risk having a failure! If you don't intend to track or remove the limiter the factory ds is fine! That should be the rule of thumb.
+100 I don't see how people are thinking the DS is fine when there are videos of dozens of failures. Just look at a photo of the GT driveshaft then look at the V6 driveshaft. That should explain enough.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm at work right now. Can't get all ten because they are in my bookmarks, but believe me there is at the very LEAST ten of them. I just found SIX videos in about 2-3 minutes doing a simple search on YouTube "3.7 mustang driveshaft fail".

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

So, you still think there is no issue here? Still want to go 150 MPH+? I'd sure hope not...It's quite obvious there is a problem with the 2-piece drives-shaft. Just look how it's designed! It's a weak-link!

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

I just don't want anyone thinking they can go 150 MPH safely in the 2011+ V6 with the stock DS and kill them self. That statement is obviously false, and you could get someone injured or killed with that statement.
You really only have 2 legit videos here. You claimed 10, I only see 2, including the one that everyone already knows about. So really, only one. Dyno snaps don't count to much, since there is more stress on a dyno than you would ever really see in a real world condition. I've seen a GT shaft snap on a Dyno, so under your theory, all GT drivers should replace there shaft as well. Two of the videos you posted are of the same car, and they don't say nor do they show how it broke. All it says is "broken drive shaft" in the description. Ill find the post about the European doing 150+, but it might take me a bit.

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Quote:
+100 I don't see how people are thinking the DS is fine when there are videos of dozens of failures. Just look at a photo of the GT driveshaft then look at the V6 driveshaft. That should explain enough.
Dozens of failures? You found 2 failures, and you still don't know the story behind each of those 2 failures.

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
And does your friend drive a Honda or something? The hazard flashers have nothing to do with your speed limiter.

Oh, and try telling the cop who pulls you over "I had my flashers on so therefore I am allowed to go 125 because I'm in a hurry and need to speed".
Actually he does drive a Honda lmfao
Old 06-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I have to say, ford dropped the ball on this one and for some unknown reason cheaped out. Tagging an extra 500$ on the price tag would have been worth avoiding all the negative PR around this issue and made everyone happy! Dumb dumbs in the ds department for sure!
Old 06-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You really only have 2 legit videos here. You claimed 10, I only see 2, including the one that everyone already knows about. So really, only one. Dyno snaps don't count to much, since there is more stress on a dyno than you would ever really see in a real world condition. I've seen a GT shaft snap on a Dyno, so under your theory, all GT drivers should replace there shaft as well. Two of the videos you posted are of the same car, and they don't say nor do they show how it broke. All it says is "broken drive shaft" in the description. Ill find the post about the European doing 150+, but it might take me a bit.

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Dozens of failures? You found 2 failures, and you still don't know the story behind each of those 2 failures.

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Actually he does drive a Honda lmfao
So what are you trying to say? That the stock DS is not an issue and is safe?? I am confused.

I mean the concept is really easy. Fact is, if you have the stock driveshaft and go over the stock limiter then you risk exploding your driveshaft. Easy as that.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So what are you trying to say? That the stock DS is not an issue and is safe?? I am confused.
The stock ds is perfectly safe if you use it as ford mandates. Don't remove the limiter.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13

The stock ds is perfectly safe if you use it as ford mandates. Don't remove the limiter.
Exactly.....or your drive-shaft could end up looking like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3947483343.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	543.7 KB
ID:	115492
Old 06-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I mean the concept is really easy. Fact is, if you have the stock driveshaft and go over the stock limiter then you risk exploding your driveshaft. Easy as that.
My point is that the drive shaft will not automatically explode at 135 as you are suggesting. Yes AM sells a once piece drive shaft which would improve safety at high speeds, being that it is stronger, but it is possible to take the stock shaft past 150 if under the right conditions, and if you don't push it to hard. That's all i'm saying. The only thing I'm arguing is your assumption that every shaft is defective and can't sustain anything over 135.
I also pointed out that your "10+ videos on youtube" turned out to be only 2. Two failures out of thousands of cars sold. That's not the massive issue that you're making it out to be.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Removing the limiter is easy. Just buy a performance tuner. I have one for past two years. Forget that flasher crap. I purchased a one piece aluminium driveshaft from american muscle for my 11 v6 and real happy with it. What a huge visible difference in the two of them when my stock DS was taken out. Worth the piece of mind should I want to travel 140 plus. The car feels to shift smoother with the one piece and less rotational mass than the two piece.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang