Bama Tunes ruin warranties?! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Bama Tunes ruin warranties?!

Hey folks. Curious about getting flash tunes for my '13 Stang. Anybody have solid input on where the factory warranty stands after installing a tune to the computer?!
naterz82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
There are threads here about this kinda thing. Gist of it, talk to ur dealer. Some say yes, some say no. If they are okay with it, then ur good if not, u do it at ur own risk. Search for some of the threads. It gets to be a heated topic. Just remember, the dealer can tell if uve messed with the PCM.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #3

Yea I figured as much with them being able to tell. Guess I'll take a trip to the dealer.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Nice Shelby btw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Appreciate it man. It was always a dream of mine. U might talk to BlackonBlack. He got his dealer to say its ok. Worse case, u wait until warranty is up and build a beast.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yep talk to your dealer.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Appreciate it man. It was always a dream of mine. U might talk to BlackonBlack. He got his dealer to say its ok. Worse case, u wait until warranty is up and build a beast.
Yes that's the ultimate plan. Just ancy. Putting some axel backs on it next month, should curb my need for awhile haha
Old 06-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Shoot yeah! What u goin with?
Old 06-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
It's pretty simple really. Ford warranties the car that Ford built. When we modify the car, and if that modification causes a failure, then Ford isn't going to warranty that failure because it wasn't caused by the part that Ford built and delivered to you.

Now if you put a tune on the car and the radio fails - obviously that isn't the fault of the tune so warranty is good. But if you tune the car and the tune makes the car run lean and the engine goes - it was not the car that Ford built so they aren't going to warranty it. Other things fall into a grey area. You put a tune on the car and the rear differential fails - was that because you stressed the rear end more than it was designed for because your tune was putting out a huge torque increase? (probably not but it does fall in that area where it can be a question).

I had one service manager tell me one time "just don't break anything I can't justify under warranty". On my 2006 I blew a head gasket. We never figured out why it happened but the car had a CAI and tune on it and Ford gave the dealer no hassle on the warranty since it was unlikely the tune would have caused the failure.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Shoot yeah! What u goin with?
Well, I'm trying to narrow my choices. Pretty solid on the Roush axel backs. However, I was at a local shop and there was a guy in there with an '11 v6, and he had Magnaflow deletes on it. It...sounded...AWESOME. But, it was a bit loud for a daily driver. The Roush package is pretty sweet. Also checked out FRPP touring mufflers. Bit pricey I must say. But they sound mean too. MRT has a nice set too. Gah! I just need to pull the trigger on one LOL

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
It's pretty simple really. Ford warranties the car that Ford built. When we modify the car, and if that modification causes a failure, then Ford isn't going to warranty that failure because it wasn't caused by the part that Ford built and delivered to you.

Now if you put a tune on the car and the radio fails - obviously that isn't the fault of the tune so warranty is good. But if you tune the car and the tune makes the car run lean and the engine goes - it was not the car that Ford built so they aren't going to warranty it. Other things fall into a grey area. You put a tune on the car and the rear differential fails - was that because you stressed the rear end more than it was designed for because your tune was putting out a huge torque increase? (probably not but it does fall in that area where it can be a question).

I had one service manager tell me one time "just don't break anything I can't justify under warranty". On my 2006 I blew a head gasket. We never figured out why it happened but the car had a CAI and tune on it and Ford gave the dealer no hassle on the warranty since it was unlikely the tune would have caused the failure.
Yea I guess I knew all that in the back of my head. It's logical that if the mod breaks something, it won't be covered. Nice that the head gasket on your 06 was covered!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Roush won't let u down. Look at borla too. I have SLP's.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by naterz82 View Post

Well, I'm trying to narrow my choices. Pretty solid on the Roush axel backs. However, I was at a local shop and there was a guy in there with an '11 v6, and he had Magnaflow deletes on it. It...sounded...AWESOME. But, it was a bit loud for a daily driver. The Roush package is pretty sweet. Also checked out FRPP touring mufflers. Bit pricey I must say. But they sound mean too. MRT has a nice set too. Gah! I just need to pull the trigger on one LOL
If your worried about a bit loud your probably not going to like Roush they are known for being Loud. I have them and love them but I wanted loud! I've had them now for 4 months and the sound is awesome! If your not going to fear loud get them!!!!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

+1. They sound sooooo good.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+1. They sound sooooo good.
They r incredible at wot, people comment how I sound like a race car lol. Stangs r meant to b heard!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #14

Haha! You guys are great! I'm pretty much sold on them. Even more so now with y'all's comments. The Roush has the right sound I'm looking for. The magnaflow deletes were, well, NO mufflers essentially.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Yeah. Look at them and borla. I'm tellin ya, can't go wrong with either. U should get them.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah. Look at them and borla. I'm tellin ya, can't go wrong with either. U should get them.
Yep borla was on my list also, but the near 800$ price turned me off. I ended up getting a gt 500 spoiler and Roush axelbacks for basically the same price! The Roush was first on my list but I did look at borlas also.So glad I went with Roush.

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Quote:
BTW nice stripes! Lol
Old 06-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
We have a set of axle-backs that are very nice sounding ... not overly loud either.

Here is a video of them installed on a GT:

Steeda 2011-14 Mustang 5.0L GT Axle-Back Exhaust Sound Clip - YouTube

Let me know if I can provide any more details?

Steeda 2011-12 V6 Mustang Axle-Back Exhaust 040-130207

Best Regards,
TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #18

Honestly I didn't like anything Borla offered for the 11+ v6's.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm here boss

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Yep talk to your dealer.
Good advice
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #20

Sounds like a plan then. Thanks fellas.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

And BTW check out PYPES Pype-Bombs. I have two sets :p and I love them

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Sounds like a plan then. Thanks fellas.
Anytime. That's what we are hear for.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
We have a set of axle-backs that are very nice sounding ... not overly loud either.

Best Regards,
TJ
Can't find a sound clip of a 3.7. Any links? I like the tips but 4" is a must though IMO.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post
And BTW check out PYPES Pype-Bombs. I have two sets :p and I love them

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

Anytime. That's what we are hear for.
Ya know.....I'm on the fence on them. Sound great on a v8....not so sure on the v6

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

Quote:

Can't find a sound clip of a 3.7. Any links? I like the tips but 4" is a must though IMO.
Agreed on that
Old 06-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

37blackonblack on YouTube. I have a few vids up on there

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post

Best Regards,
TJ
When did these come out? I've never heard of them.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Roush won't let u down. Look at borla too. I have SLP's.
I really love my Borla Touring catbacks. Yeah $900 + $50 install hurt a little bit but the sound with the intake is incredible. It wasn't until a buddy drove it last week and I got to hear it drive by and pull off that I completely fell in love!
rotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #26
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Haha! You guys are great! I'm pretty much sold on them. Even more so now with y'all's comments. The Roush has the right sound I'm looking for. The magnaflow deletes were, well, NO mufflers essentially.
So are the Roush! When you get them, look down through the tips; its basically a straight pipe with a round can wrapped around the tube.

I had them on for about an hour. Way too loud for me. I now run with a set of GT500's.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #27
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
As far as the Tune goes, I would just check with the dealership. My car is tuned and the dealership is completely okay with it! Some service managers understand that in order for them to void your warranty, they have to prove that the modifications you did to the vehicle is what caused damage (if it did occur). That's a pretty hard thing to prove and some dealerships believe its not worth the battle!

As far as Exhaust goes there's a ton of great options out there. Borla, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, SLP etc...

Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future, we'll be glad to help! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Let me ask our video department if we have any sound clips on the v6.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
So are the Roush! When you get them, look down through the tips; its basically a straight pipe with a round can wrapped around the tube.

I had them on for about an hour. Way too loud for me. I now run with a set of GT500's.
Yes we know your a Roush hater. They are not for everyone!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #30
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Yes we know your a Roush hater. They are not for everyone!
I don't hate them; not much I hate in the way of mods. Just letting folks know they are loud. I actually like driving around a vehicle with a loud exhaust... the cops follow them and leave me alone!

I also drink Doctor Pepper.

Opinions are like our backside; everyone has one.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Lol o.k.

I like beer. Lol
Old 06-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #32
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Lol o.k.

I like beer. Lol
Nice stang BTW....like the white stripes on red.

Really, I do!
Old 06-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Nice stang BTW....like the white stripes on red.

Really, I do!
Thx, I like your monkey! Wink wink. Lol
Old 06-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #34
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I do too. He's been with me a long time.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Do you have some pics of your stang???

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang