Help with pipes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Help with pipes

I'm a newbie when it comes to all this, so I need a little input on exhaust. What's the best brand? I want one thing that's gonna make my v6 sound like a muscle car should sound. I don't care if its loud, it's not my dd. axle backs or cat backs? I certainly won't be able to install myself, and I don't trust a local shop to give me an honest quote without trying to sell me the whole shop bc idk what I'm talking about.
Bigkat122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Axel backs you can do yourself, I did mine with out jacking up the car in my cramped garage in about an hour. I put Roush Axel backs on they sound awesome, nice and really loud! There are a lot of choices out there it really depends what your looking for. You can always YouTube 3.7 mustang exhaust to see some different types. Hope this helps!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Want loud? as FastFord13 recommends, buy Roush. They'll get you attention.

If you're looking for other options, type the words "axle back" or "exhaust" in the search button, then sit back and enjoy the reading. Theres hundreds of posts here on this site for exhaust opinions.

Another recommendation would be to attend a car show in your area and hear the different exhaust setups other Mustang owners have done first hand.
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Want your V6 to sound louder and more aggressive than a GT then get roush with x pipes.. Below is my old setup

http://youtu.be/6mY2a65StX8

Now I loved this for a day but i got noise complaints and would set off car alarms at 30 mph at 2000 Rpms. I quickly hated it and brought negative attention.

Loud isn't always best. It's best to find the right tone and balance but then again it's all personal taste.

If your looking for loud.. Check out that video I have next to two GT (I'm the one with the window louvers).

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

In my honest opinion .. Pay extra and get borla .. I put the touring (quietest) in with shorty and catted x but its LOUD when I step on it.
MustangDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I sure don't want to be setting off car alarms! My neighborhood is pretty quiet, I'd probably get complaints about that, no doubt. Roush is seeming like the best choice, I've read a lot about those in these forums. I definitely have some things to research though, so thanks guys!
Old 06-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
If you don't want a lot of obnoxious noise

Magnaflow streets are one of your best choices, You can also consider Ford Racing Touring which are the same as Borla touring.
I have the Magnaflow streets and I love the way they sound, A nice deep rumble with no drone or vibrations.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigkat122 View Post
I sure don't want to be setting off car alarms! My neighborhood is pretty quiet, I'd probably get complaints about that, no doubt. Roush is seeming like the best choice, I've read a lot about those in these forums. I definitely have some things to research though, so thanks guys!
Roush is awesome when its just axel back.. But as soon as you start adding mid pipes and long/shorty tubes it can be to much. Take it from me who owned/loved the roush.

I've heard (in person) - magna flow street and comps sound great with just axel but when upgraded it was awesome. Same goes with touring and s type for borla.. Great with just axel and when added more it complimented and smoothed the tone.

Wouldn't want you change your axel back once you upgrade those tubes and mid pipes.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Magnaflow streets are one of your best choices, You can also consider Ford Racing Touring which are the same as Borla touring.
I have the Magnaflow streets and I love the way they sound, A nice deep rumble with no drone or vibrations.

Ronnie
I had a local shop quote me on the manga flow street series exhaust, fully installed $1,099
Old 06-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I had a local shop quote me on the manga flow street series exhaust, fully installed $1,099
To just change the axel back and the mufflers?
Old 06-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I believe it was for the catback system. I was just looking for a rough estimate, so they didn't go into much detail. I wouldn't pay hat of axleback, no way
Old 06-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDUB View Post

Roush is awesome when its just axel back.. But as soon as you start adding mid pipes and long/shorty tubes it can be to much. Take it from me who owned/loved the roush.

I've heard (in person) - magna flow street and comps sound great with just axel but when upgraded it was awesome. Same goes with touring and s type for borla.. Great with just axel and when added more it complimented and smoothed the tone.

Wouldn't want you change your axel back once you upgrade those tubes and mid pipes.
There is an easy and cheap solution, glass pack resonators!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I had borla s-stype stinger installed last week. I love it.
It is loud enough but not too loud to set up alarms or wake the neighbors.
F4nG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigkat122
I'm a newbie when it comes to all this, so I need a little input on exhaust. What's the best brand? I want one thing that's gonna make my v6 sound like a muscle car should sound. I don't care if its loud, it's not my dd. axle backs or cat backs? I certainly won't be able to install myself, and I don't trust a local shop to give me an honest quote without trying to sell me the whole shop bc idk what I'm talking about.
Ima just tell u straight up u can't get v6 to sound like a v8. Whatever u do keep your cats on and it will sound just find
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Holy cow. It appears I'm in the wrong industry.

Any body that is slightly handy can tackle a axle-back swap. One of the hardest things though (If your OEM axle-backs haven't been tampered with yet) is the tack weld. Took me awhile to get that tack broken, but other then that, I would not pay a shop $1,100 to do this work.

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I put @ flowmaster on my v-6 , love it
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I actually work in the automotive industry, so I'm fairly confident that I could swap out a set of axle backs, with a little help that is. I doubt it would cost 1,100 to just install them, that's to purchase them too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang