Any experience/suggestions trading a modded Stang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
illestdomer2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 723
Any experience/suggestions trading a modded Stang?

I am thinking about trading my 2011 V6 for a 2013 GT, and besides the huge economic hit, I am wondering if I will be FUBAR trying to trade with a dealer vs private sale. The reason is my Stang has 1) tune, 2) 3.73 rear axle, 3) intake, and 4) axle backs. I know the intake and mufflers can be removed, but the gears are staying, and the tune is required to compensate for the gears.

Anyone have any experience trading a modded Mustang? Is it worth the hassle?
__________________
2011 Mustang 3.7L, 6A, MCA Pkg, Ingot Silver w/ Stone

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff
 
WhoDat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Anchorage
Region: Alaska
Posts: 1,925
If you decide to trade it in, you could put it back to the stock tune and notify the dealer that it has 3.73s. They have the capability to calibrate the speedometer. This way, you get to keep your tuner at least.
__________________
2012 Kona Blue 3.7L V6:
Borla LT headers, O/R h-pipe, Borla S-types, 3.73 gears,
Steeda adjustable UCA w/ mount, BMR LCAs, Airaid CAI,
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
Road Trip!
 
dobypaw3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Region: New York
Posts: 1,146
Private sell it. Mustangs V6 or V8 are cars everyone wants you should sell it pretty quick and should get a few thousand more than what a dealer will give in trade.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L View Post
If you decide to trade it in, you could put it back to the stock tune and notify the dealer that it has 3.73s. They have the capability to calibrate the speedometer. This way, you get to keep your tuner at least.
The dealer can only compensate for a 3:31 gear, as this is the option Ford made available over the stock gearing. All other gearing requires a tuner.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff
 
WhoDat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Anchorage
Region: Alaska
Posts: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
The dealer can only compensate for a 3:31 gear, as this is the option Ford made available over the stock gearing. All other gearing requires a tuner.
Ah, well that sucks. I'd still reflash the stock tune and keep the tuner haha.
__________________
2012 Kona Blue 3.7L V6:
Borla LT headers, O/R h-pipe, Borla S-types, 3.73 gears,
Steeda adjustable UCA w/ mount, BMR LCAs, Airaid CAI,
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
blackhawk 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: California
Posts: 472
private , dealer wont take it
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
Road Trip!
 
dobypaw3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Region: New York
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk 1 View Post
private , dealer wont take it
What are you talking about? When I said private sell. That means to anyone but a dealer.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
VIG
Registered Member
Regular
 
VIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmington
Region: Delaware
Posts: 1,238
I'd remove everything that can easily be returned to stock, sell those pieces. Then take it to the dealership and don't tell them anything. 9/10 cars the dealership gets they just throw to auction so they don't care.
__________________
IG: workshardplayshard
VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular
 
JimC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 1,225
You will get more on a private sale than on a trade in. Dealers don't really want modified cars because they can't pay you for the mods and it is difficult to get a buyer financed for extra if they do try to compensate you.

Don't be a jerk and set it back to stock with the 3.73 and keeping the tuner. If you trade give the tuner and let them know.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
VIG
Registered Member
Regular
 
VIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmington
Region: Delaware
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Don't be a jerk and set it back to stock with the 3.73 and keeping the tuner. If you trade give the tuner and let them know.
^Especially this
__________________
IG: workshardplayshard
VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
illestdomer2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 723
Good thoughts - I figured the mods might make it more difficult.

Yeah, I would never leave someone in a lurch. I am not DYING to sell it so I might just cast a line and see if I get any bites.
__________________
2011 Mustang 3.7L, 6A, MCA Pkg, Ingot Silver w/ Stone

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #12
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005 View Post
Good thoughts - I figured the mods might make it more difficult.

Yeah, I would never leave someone in a lurch. I am not DYING to sell it so I might just cast a line and see if I get any bites.
Well I'd go to Sandy Springs and see what they say. They seem to work with Mustang owners the most.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:48 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
illestdomer2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post

Well I'd go to Sandy Springs and see what they say. They seem to work with Mustang owners the most.
Good idea. They did sell her to me in the first place
__________________
2011 Mustang 3.7L, 6A, MCA Pkg, Ingot Silver w/ Stone

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #14
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005 View Post

Good idea. They did sell her to me in the first place
Haha I'd assume they'd be honest with you in determining value.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
NicholasP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005 View Post

Good idea. They did sell her to me in the first place
Do you get your car serviced there? What did they say about the tune?
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
NewMtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,951
Or keep the tuner and have the dealer put a note in the vehicle. If the new owner wants to buy the tuner, sell it to him. Years ago I sold a Chevrolet Sprint. I turned off my alarm with key and left a note with the car. Two weeks later, I got a call. Drove down the road and met with the car dealer who had purchased my car. Sold him both keys for the custom alarm ($50), that cost me $20 and two six packs of Corona.
__________________
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #17
Registered Member

Regular
 
JimC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Or keep the tuner and have the dealer put a note in the vehicle. If the new owner wants to buy the tuner, sell it to him. Years ago I sold a Chevrolet Sprint. I turned off my alarm with key and left a note with the car. Two weeks later, I got a call. Drove down the road and met with the car dealer who had purchased my car. Sold him both keys for the custom alarm ($50), that cost me $20 and two six packs of Corona.
The alarm is a little different situation. Nothing is affected on the car with or without the alarm.

But put the car back to stock (otherwise why keep the SCT since it would be locked) and now the car has issues because the 4.10's throw everything off. And if you leave the tune on you screw the new owner who has no stock tune and can't easily re-tune the car or put it back to stock and the seller has a SCT that is locked with very little value to sell.

So that is a jerk move in my opinion. Either return the car to stovk or give them the tuner.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
RocknCali's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oceanside
Region: California
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post

The alarm is a little different situation. Nothing is affected on the car with or without the alarm.

But put the car back to stock (otherwise why keep the SCT since it would be locked) and now the car has issues because the 4.10's throw everything off. And if you leave the tune on you screw the new owner who has no stock tune and can't easily re-tune the car or put it back to stock and the seller has a SCT that is locked with very little value to sell.

So that is a jerk move in my opinion. Either return the car to stovk or give them the tuner.
What I don't get is why anyone here is trying to question the morality of this crap.

The dealerships are only looking to rip us off to make the most cash.

Why can't we do the same to them??
RocknCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #19
Road Trip!
 
dobypaw3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Region: New York
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknCali View Post

What I don't get is why anyone here is trying to question the morality of this crap.

The dealerships are only looking to rip us off to make the most cash.

Why can't we do the same to them??
Why??? Because a dealer will never take a loss. They will negotiate but only if they make a nice profit. They are in it to make money just like any other business.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
RocknCali's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oceanside
Region: California
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastV6 View Post

Why??? Because a dealer will never take a loss. They will negotiate but only if they make a nice profit. They are in it to make money just like any other business.
which proves my point. make the car look stock. set the stock tune and don't tell them about the gears
RocknCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular
 
JimC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknCali View Post

What I don't get is why anyone here is trying to question the morality of this crap.

The dealerships are only looking to rip us off to make the most cash.

Why can't we do the same to them??
Because you aren't screwing the dealer. The next owner is the one getting screwed.

But if you think that there is something wrong with a business trying to make a profit, then you have no understanding of why people start a business. It isn't to 'give others a job'. Apparently you buy into the thinking of some in DC that success is bad and needs to be punished.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #22
VIG
Registered Member
Regular
 
VIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmington
Region: Delaware
Posts: 1,238
^this.

The point of business is to make money.
__________________
IG: workshardplayshard
VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #23
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Suffolk
Region: Virginia
Posts: 14
I think the saying "buy low and sell high" is older then most of us on this forum. As stated, a dealer is going to try and make money on every deal. Also, removing the tune etc. and creating a problem for the next owner just give car-moding a bad name. If that buyer had problems he'd probably never buy another used car with so much as aftermarket wheels for fear of the "hidden" problems.
JCH841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
illestdomer2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 723
Depressing part is the dealer offered me 15k for her. Keep in mind, I have just under 15k miles on her. She was in a wreck with moderate front end damage (new bumper, new hood, and work on driver's side fender).

I just couldn't stomach the loss so I told them I needed to get at least 18k, but I imagine I will keep the sixer. Honestly, a V6 with a tune and 3.73 gears feels like a stock GT to me.
__________________
2011 Mustang 3.7L, 6A, MCA Pkg, Ingot Silver w/ Stone

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:42 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
RocknCali's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oceanside
Region: California
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005 View Post
Depressing part is the dealer offered me 15k for her. Keep in mind, I have just under 15k miles on her. She was in a wreck with moderate front end damage (new bumper, new hood, and work on driver's side fender).

I just couldn't stomach the loss so I told them I needed to get at least 18k, but I imagine I will keep the sixer. Honestly, a V6 with a tune and 3.73 gears feels like a stock GT to me.
+1

---------- Post added at 01:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post

Because you aren't screwing the dealer. The next owner is the one getting screwed.

But if you think that there is something wrong with a business trying to make a profit, then you have no understanding of why people start a business. It isn't to 'give others a job'. Apparently you buy into the thinking of some in DC that success is bad and needs to be punished.
Dude, don't act ignorant. I know businesses have profit margins... but as a consumer I try to get the best deal possible.

And if you don't understand that, then your not a true consumer. just a sheep.

And please don't go all liberal on me in this forum. I would hate to embarrass you.

---------- Post added at 01:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 AM ----------

PS I don't particularly care about whoever gets it next. it would no longer be my problem
RocknCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
illestdomer2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 723
Also figured I should post some pics for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-785089762.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	376.0 KB
ID:	117092   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2280996731.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	501.5 KB
ID:	117093  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2418868408.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	428.5 KB
ID:	117094   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-584888233.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	546.3 KB
ID:	117095  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2509129569.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	514.6 KB
ID:	117096  
__________________
2011 Mustang 3.7L, 6A, MCA Pkg, Ingot Silver w/ Stone

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #27
VIG
Registered Member
Regular
 
VIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmington
Region: Delaware
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknCali View Post
PS I don't particularly care about whoever gets it next. it would no longer be my problem
^the reason I don't buy/never will buy a used car.
__________________
IG: workshardplayshard
VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
RocknCali's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oceanside
Region: California
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post

^the reason I don't buy/never will buy a used car.
you should always by new anyway. why would you want someone's sloppy seconds

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005 View Post
Also figured I should post some pics for reference.
illest what kind of hood is that?
RocknCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #29
VIG
Registered Member
Regular
 
VIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmington
Region: Delaware
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknCali View Post

you should always by new anyway. why would you want someone's sloppy seconds
Truth. I like knowing I'm the only person to fart in my seat.
__________________
IG: workshardplayshard
VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
illestdomer2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknCali View Post

you should always by new anyway. why would you want someone's sloppy seconds

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------



illest what kind of hood is that?
Black Mamba II! It's made by TruFiber and bought through AmericanMuscle after mine was damaged in the wreck. Only bright spot about the accident.
__________________
2011 Mustang 3.7L, 6A, MCA Pkg, Ingot Silver w/ Stone

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Members Mustangs

'94 Pony

LavaPony

SGM

BigCiv
Add your Mustang
» Like Us On Facebook



04:51 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.