Hard driving - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Hard driving

Are mustangs built to be driven hard? I like to accelerate and usually hit 6000 rpm before shifting, would that cause me any problems in the future?
Mustang240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Only a problem if _________________---

If you slip the clutch.
If you Power shift.
If you are looking for god gas milage.
If you run into the vehical in front of you.

Other then stuff like this: You should not have a problem.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang240 View Post
Are mustangs built to be driven hard? I like to accelerate and usually hit 6000 rpm before shifting, would that cause me any problems in the future?
You can mess up your Transmission that's why mine is in the shop right now it happen Saturday night
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I forgot to say I have an automatic trans and shift to to 1,2,3. Would that be an issue?
Old 07-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I have a saying I heard stuck in my head: a redlined day keeps the mechanic away. I guess not. I try to keep everything under 4K.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
If you slip the clutch.
If you are looking for god gas milage.
If you run into the vehical in front of you.

Other then stuff like this: You should not have a problem.

Ronnie
HAha, safety comes first always!
Old 07-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang240
I forgot to say I have an automatic trans and shift to to 1,2,3. Would that be an issue?
No need. You are slowing the car down and could be causing trans issues. If you want to shift gears buy a manual.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
This would be valid information to help with your inquiry. I stay away from 1-2-3-D shifting at all possible costs. When I'm cruising and need to get a little better passing acceleration I may, just may, put it down to 3 (or 2, depending on the situation). But that's on the very rare occasion.

I would stay away from doing this even though some people say it's okay to do. Why would you want to cause more strain on your auto then you need to?

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I just put mine on overdrive.

After serveral research I had found 1,2,3,d on mustang 05+ does put a strain on the transmission.

So I just recommend just using the overdrive or D.
Step on gas far as you can, and have fun.

Been driving hard that way, had not had a issue so far after 10k miles.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSleeper View Post
I just put mine on overdrive.

After serveral research I had found 1,2,3,d on mustang 05+ does put a strain on the transmission.

So I just recommend just using the overdrive or D.
Step on gas far as you can, and have fun.

Been driving hard that way, had not had a issue so far after 10k miles.
Oh thanks for the info, I will no longer use the 1,2,3. What is overdrive? And how do I use it?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang240

Oh thanks for the info, I will no longer use the 1,2,3. What is overdrive? And how do I use it?
...just put the car in drive and press the skinny pedal on the right. Do not press anything else.
Our's:
Old 07-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

...just put the car in drive and press the skinny pedal on the right. Do not press anything else.
Haha I'm sorry, just new with this terminology.. Thanks! I feel stupid for asking now lol
Old 07-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Overdrive is basically the Sport mode for us 10-12' models and it locks out sixth gear resulting in longer times between shifts. The button is on the left side of your shifter.

Quote:
This^

An outstanding DD
Old 07-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Oops. Sorry I didn't see I was in wrong trend.

It's a overdrive, revs late than D would.

My 07 mustang Gt has it.

I'm not quite sure about yours, sorry.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrum04

Overdrive is basically the Sport mode for us 10-12' models and it locks out sixth gear resulting in longer times between shifts. The button is on the left side of your shifter.

This^
No...it simply locks out the top gear. I've never seen an automatic in a car act differently with od off. In a truck it typically engages tow mode.
Our's:
Old 07-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrum04 View Post

This^
??

Overdrive is basic on most auto trans cars and trucks these days. Most people keep O/D on because it results in better mpg. You should only take O/D off when your on hill terrain or need some extra torque running up a big hill IE on the highway or driving a mountain road.
RocknCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:

On this car, it's just putting it in "D". I only use sport mode for holding a gear going up hills.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Just my .25 cents. You engage an overdrive to get good cruise and MPG.
You engage an underdrive for more acceleration or torque.
Many older trucks and cars called the last gear overdrive and trucks had a overdrive lockout for towing. Some Newer trucks like mine the tow mode changes the shift patterns and hardness. It waits a lot longer before shifting in towing mode while I pull a trailer.

2013-2014 Mustangs have sport more that changes shift timing, and shift speeds, but its truly not an underdrive; as an underdrive would give you 3.55 gears instead of 2.73

This also allows selectshift 1,2,3,4,5; or if you don't shift its like a sport auto tune put in your auto by Ford, better throttle response, better Rascal shifts.

2011-2012 auto cars to the best of my knowledge have a "Grade Assist" that acts only for gears 1,2,3 and then went into regular drive mode.

This is the reason I bought a 2013 Mustang, as it had a Normal Touring Mode in "D" and a Sporty Mode in "S".

PS some time long ago, some places sold aftermarket underdrives, like in old J.C Whitney mail order catalogs when I was really young for things they called rods and roadsters I believe?
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No...it simply locks out the top gear. I've never seen an automatic in a car act differently with od off. In a truck it typically engages tow mode.
What I ment is grade assist, (At-least that's what it's called on our model cars and it might be the same thing as "O/D?)

But that's basically what I stated, correct? Locks out the top gear. Just so happens sixth is our top gear. There was a massive thread on this topic a couple months ago, stating that our 10-12' 3.7 autos basically have the 13' sport mode, it's just called, "grade assist."

An outstanding DD
Old 07-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrum04 View Post

What I ment is grade assist, (At-least that's what it's called on our model cars and it might be the same thing as "O/D?)

But that's basically what I stated, correct? Locks out the top gear. Just so happens sixth is our top gear. There was a massive thread on this topic a couple months ago, stating that our 10-12' 3.7 autos basically have the 13' sport mode, it's just called, "grade assist."
^+1 grade assist in the 11-12 is the same as sport mode in 13-14
Old 07-03-2013, 12:09 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

^+1 grade assist in the 11-12 is the same as sport mode in 13-14
This is correct and it indeed does hold gears longer unless your at WOT then it's the same. Anything said here to the contrary is wrong. It also is not just for hilly terrain and it works through gears 1-5 not just 1-3. It also gives better engine breaking when it's on. It is actually O/D off as it locks out 6th gear. O/D on is normal D mode with grade assist off.

IMHO shifting manually 123D may put more strain on the tranny and engine but so does holding your manual tranny in gear longer. Using it once in awhile to grab a lower gear and rpms quicker is not going to be an issue.

Heck you can manually shift the 13/14s through 6 gears so why would it be any more of an issue. To get a better idea of how the autos in the 11 thru 14s work read the manuals for both and put 2 and 2 together.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No need. You are slowing the car down and could be causing trans issues. If you want to shift gears buy a manual.
The car isn't slowed down save for the shift at redline. The computer does a better job and will hold the gear to redline vs manual shift. But grabbing 3rd manually at 50 mph lets say actually works quicker than waiting for the computer to think and you can drop it down without being at WOT thus having the rpms in the sweet spot for when your ready to gas it.

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Quote:

Ours do act differently. Much differently.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang