Ghost cam tune Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Ghost cam tune Question

Just wanted to know if the ghosts can tune Hurts the car Because my brother has a 2013 5.0 and I asked him why doesn't he have it and he said because it hurts the car .... true or faults
CodyMustang3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
i tried it and not sure about hurting it but it didnt run very good and kept stalling, and basically just dumped gas out the exhaust, but it did sound cool
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
That's the mechanics of a cam tune though. It stalls cause too much of the air fuel mixture is off and such. It's more for show than actual drive use. I like the tune personally and would only run it for shows. It's just a timing thing and is reworked to make the sound. With real cams I would see it as damage because its not stock or forged internals. To me that is one of those mods that's good for the life of the engine but isn't really good for the engine

*grew up around older cars with real cams and mainly Chevy chevelles*
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013, 03:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I run it all the time on my 3.7L and its NEVER stalled my car. The only ones stalling the cars are the very early tunes when the whole ghost cam barley came out. Most venders and worked with it so much that its pretty much a solid tune. Would I recommend it as a DD? No cuz it gets me 15mpg with my 373 gears lol Im about to get it for my 5.0 and ill let u know on that one.
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:10 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
I run it all the time on my 3.7L and its NEVER stalled my car. The only ones stalling the cars are the very early tunes when the whole ghost cam barley came out. Most venders and worked with it so much that its pretty much a solid tune. Would I recommend it as a DD? No cuz it gets me 15mpg with my 373 gears lol Im about to get it for my 5.0 and ill let u know on that one.
Do you have a manual or automatic
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post

Do you have a manual or automatic
Auto and my 5.0 is manual which I find it better my buddy with his 3.7 is manual and runs the ghost cam literally alllll the time hahaha I find it to work better on the manual
Old 07-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
They don't make this tune for the manual v6 yet do they ?
Old 07-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991 View Post
They don't make this tune for the manual v6 yet do they ?
I believe MorePowerTuning does. And they have 3 levels/stages of lope you can choose from as well
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Ok cool I was hoping AM had one
Old 07-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L View Post

I believe MorePowerTuning does. And they have 3 levels/stages of lope you can choose from as well
Thats where I got mine. I got stage 3 which I would not recommend for an auto

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991 View Post
Ok cool I was hoping AM had one
AM only has it for 5.0s manual with no catts
Old 07-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Dang , I've been hoping they would come out with one for the v6 and a manual
Old 07-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Just got the MPT ghost cam. I went with Stage 2 since I have an auto. Definitely runs rich at idle, but a solid tune throughout the RPM range. It also feels slightly more aggressive than Bama's tunes. It's louder too. I'll probably only run it for shows, track days, and the occasional days where I wanna hear the lope haha. Here's the link: Mustang 3.7L Ghost Cam - YouTube
Old 07-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L
Just got the MPT ghost cam. I went with Stage 2 since I have an auto. Definitely runs rich at idle, but a solid tune throughout the RPM range. It also feels slightly more aggressive than Bama's tunes. It's louder too. I'll probably only run it for shows, track days, and the occasional days where I wanna hear the lope haha. Here's the link: Mustang 3.7L Ghost Cam - YouTube
Just wondering, how long did it take you to receive your tune? I ordered mine like 5 days ago and still no email.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

I ordered mine Thursday and got it the following Tuesday. I think their site says allow up to 3 business days not counting to day you place the order. It's also all based on how many tune orders they have.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L
I ordered mine Thursday and got it the following Tuesday. I think their site says allow up to 3 business days not counting to day you place the order. It's also all based on how many tune orders they have.
Ok, thanks a lot. Btw, sounds frickin sick! Cant wait to get mine.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Can you run this on a stock or just axle backs
Old 07-26-2013, 12:29 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Can you run this on a stock or just axle backs
U need to have a O/R mid pipe thats the only requirement or else it will burn up ur cats fast
Old 07-26-2013, 04:49 AM   #18
Admin

Supporter
Admin

The ghost cam makes no sense; trying to replicate an idle from engines of the past that used real cam changes to increase intake and exhaust opening within the power curve of a desired RPM.

Folks that know what this ghost cam does just to get a lopy idle, are scratching their heads, wondering why money was spent to loose gas mileage, and provides no additional performance gain.

MPT charges $75.00 for an actual performance tune (and a good one too). They charge $125.00 for that same tune plus the lopy "ghost cam tune"added on. So, a person pays an extra $50.00 to loose gas mileage???

I don't get it. I'm missing something.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #19
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

I got it because I love the lopy classic muscle sound. I'd have to spend a lot of money to get custom cams made for my 3.7L to get the same result and it'd pretty much be permanent. Here, I can throw the cam tune on for car shows, or the track, or those random days I just wanna get a taste of the classic lope. And the gas mileage loss is minimal unless you're constantly running the cam tune, which I'm not. In the end, I feel it was well worth the $50 when you look at the cost of doing it any other way i.e. custom camshafts. There's really no middle ground between the tune and real cams.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #20
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I understand your wanting the lopy idle for "shows" or "track.

I'm with you. It's fun and cool to idle into a show with that lopy sound. Gets heads to turn and notice the Mustang. That's what it's all about for a show.

I rarely have the time to get to shows. I have been wanting to meet up with Ronnie for some time, as I know we have talked way back when I road the Harley out to Millers. We seem to have a lot in common, yet I never find the time to get over his way. Always have yard work, or house repairs, or some family event on my weekends. Sigh.

Car pic is very impressive. Nice ride!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

U need to have a O/R mid pipe thats the only requirement or else it will burn up ur cats fast
Well damn. I was hoping to run cats.....

Wait, you have cats?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L View Post
I got it because I love the lopy classic muscle sound. I'd have to spend a lot of money to get custom cams made for my 3.7L to get the same result and it'd pretty much be permanent. Here, I can throw the cam tune on for car shows, or the track, or those random days I just wanna get a taste of the classic lope. And the gas mileage loss is minimal unless you're constantly running the cam tune, which I'm not. In the end, I feel it was well worth the $50 when you look at the cost of doing it any other way i.e. custom camshafts. There's really no middle ground between the tune and real cams.
......u COULD just get ur stock cams regrinded by Crowler for 600 plus shipping both ways...I already looked into it and they should be coming out wiyh cams next year I talked to them.

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

Well damn. I was hoping to run cats.....

Wait, you have cats?
I have high flows. Stock cats are tooo restrictive but again I only run that tune for the weekend and the tune itself has a auto safety mechanism that disables the lope when ur cats get too hot. Look into it bro id onlu say get the tune if u have a O/R mid pipe or at least high flow cats. Let mpt know about ur high flows and they will add the safety switch off
Old 07-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I was curious. I want to go cats on my headers. The stocks are freaking huge too. Does a tuner now hold 10 tunes instead of 3?
Old 07-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Ghost cams make your car sound like it's a piece of junk. If you like the sound of a cam'd V8, you better have a cam'd V8. Not a misfiring V6.

I see this as no different than installing a whistle in your exhaust tip to get that "turbo" sound. This is the closest thing to American rice I can think of besides a huge wing and vtech stickers.

This is what a real cam'd car sounds like. It's loud, it's lopey, it shakes, it sets off sensitive car alarms and it sounds that way because it's mechanically supposed to.

My Z28.. with a "ghost cam tune"
Old 07-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
Ghost cams make your car sound like it's a piece of junk. If you like the sound of a cam'd V8, you better have a cam'd V8. Not a misfiring V6.

I see this as no different than installing a whistle in your exhaust tip to get that "turbo" sound. This is the closest thing to American rice I can think of besides a huge wing and vtech stickers.

This is what a real cam'd car sounds like. It's loud, it's lopey, it shakes, it sets off sensitive car alarms and it sounds that way because it's mechanically supposed to.

My Z28.. with a "ghost cam tune"
Sounds terrible holy hell. Didnt think I could dislike a catfish as much as I do that one. If u dont like ghost cams then dont get one. Not ur car not ur decision on what is done to it. U want real cams well stick with those. If these people want to have fake cams that arent misfires its simply overlapping the exhaust cams then let them. Its all opinion based and its a nice trick to have the cammed sound thats all so relax bro
Old 07-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I can guarantee that you would dislike that "catfish" even more if you had a chance to run against it in your car, 5.0 or not. Also, the camera doesn't do the sound justice so I do give you that.

Nobody on here is getting upset. I am just stating my opinion that a ghost cam tune sounds like a misfiring v6 on a 3.7 and doesn't sound all that much better on a 5.0 according to the videos I have watched on youtube. I have friends that have these tunes on their diesels and they sound the exact same way, it sounds like it's dumping too much fuel at idle and doesn't really sound all that much like an actual cam would.

If you think it's cool that is fine with me. Just know that most people that know the truth will likely be laughing at you. The people that don't know will quickly find out if you decide to line up against them and sound like a big cam'd car but not have the performance to back it up.

I simply don't see the point.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I can guarantee that you would dislike that "catfish" even more if you had a chance to run against it in your car, 5.0 or not. Also, the camera doesn't do the sound justice so I do give you that.

Nobody on here is getting upset. I am just stating my opinion that a ghost cam tune sounds like a misfiring v6 on a 3.7 and doesn't sound all that much better on a 5.0 according to the videos I have watched on youtube. I have friends that have these tunes on their diesels and they sound the exact same way, it sounds like it's dumping too much fuel at idle and doesn't really sound all that much like an actual cam would.

If you think it's cool that is fine with me. Just know that most people that know the truth will likely be laughing at you. The people that don't know will quickly find out if you decide to line up against them and sound like a big cam'd car but not have the performance to back it up.

The catfish can try to run me I don't mind. Im spraying so im sure it will be a good match. I have plenty of friends with cams and they admit that even tho there is no gains just a slight mpg loss it sounds good to them especially since its a tune one can just run whenever they want and then go back to a street or race tune. Its built on top of a race tune anyways so u keep ur performance u have just the added sound benifit. Like you said these cellphone videos on youtube dont do the ghost cam sound justice either. Those diesels u say you heard are literally nothing like a mustangs tone. Admit how can u compare a diesel engine tone to a 3.7 or 5.0 tone? That was kind of dumb saying they sound similar cuz im pretty darn sure its much different. But hey if u dont like it well thats cool I have it on both my 3.7l and my 5.0 and they sound good to me especially since my 5.0 cam tune was free lol
Old 07-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

quit talking please. if you don't like it then quit bashing people who like it. I agree with Charlie.
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22

quit talking please. if you don't like it then quit bashing people who like it. I agree with Charlie.
+100000000

If you dont have anything positive to contribute.....GTFO

Go troll the camaro forums
Old 07-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post
+100000000

If you dont have anything positive to contribute.....GTFO

Go troll the camaro forums
You Mustang guys sure do get butt hurt easily. Had I been "trolling" on purpose I might have considered this a mild success. However, that was not what I intended. I was just stating my opinion and the opinion of my peers that faux cam tunes are generally lame and that you shouldn't be supprised if you get called out by a much faster car because your car lopes and sounds cam'd out, when it infact is not.

This fits perfectly into the definition of ricer (or american ricer if you prefer). Make a car look and/or sound fast without actually being fast (fast being subjective as the 3.7 Mustangs are no slouch).

So appologies for stating my opinion. Enjoy your ghost cam tunes and whatnot.

Like a fat chick in dodgeball, I am out (of this thread).
Old 07-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You Mustang guys sure do get butt hurt easily. Had I been "trolling" on purpose I might have considered this a mild success. However, that was not what I intended. I was just stating my opinion and the opinion of my peers that faux cam tunes are generally lame and that you shouldn't be supprised if you get called out by a much faster car because your car lopes and sounds cam'd out, when it infact is not.

This fits perfectly into the definition of ricer (or american ricer if you prefer). Make a car look and/or sound fast without actually being fast (fast being subjective as the 3.7 Mustangs are no slouch).

So appologies for stating my opinion. Enjoy your ghost cam tunes and whatnot.

Like a fat chick in dodgeball, I am out (of this thread).
cool
Old 07-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I think the reason we are getting upset is due to the fact that we are shown a video of a camaro. Instead of a ford mustang. Thats like comparing an orange to a banana. I personally like the sound of a cam, real or fake. I've heard both and unless you've told me, I wouldn't know the difference. No, I'm not ignorant, to settle the pre assumptions.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:

Quote:

The catfish can try to run me I don't mind. Im spraying so im sure it will be a good match. I have plenty of friends with cams and they admit that even tho there is no gains just a slight mpg loss it sounds good to them especially since its a tune one can just run whenever they want and then go back to a street or race tune. Its built on top of a race tune anyways so u keep ur performance u have just the added sound benifit. Like you said these cellphone videos on youtube dont do the ghost cam sound justice either. Those diesels u say you heard are literally nothing like a mustangs tone. Admit how can u compare a diesel engine tone to a 3.7 or 5.0 tone? That was kind of dumb saying they sound similar cuz im pretty darn sure its much different. But hey if u dont like it well thats cool I have it on both my 3.7l and my 5.0 and they sound good to me especially since my 5.0 cam tune was free lol
My boss came from the dealer with a "cam" tune and BTW line that Lil fishy up next to my boss and you can tell me if the lope makes a difference.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

idk why but I hate camaros so much.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
idk why but I hate camaros so much.
Sadly I drove one for a few months. It was the biggest piece ever. V6 tranny slipped, suspension was shot, slow, the list just goes on and on lol
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

« HELP!!! | Question »