manual transmission question. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
manual transmission question.

Last week I was stuck in a lot of traffic, almost two hours, and it was a scorching 39°. When I finally got near my house I noticed my tranny had become pretty loud! I rolled up the windows and turned off the radio and noticed I could hear the gears turning in the tranny as I accelerated, not a very pleasant sound at all! I let it cool down for a few hours and took it out again and it was fine!? Sounds to me like the tranny fluid ford puts in doesn't do well with extreme heat. I'll have to wait a couple of months before I can change out the fluid but for now would a bottle of Lucas additive help???
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
I would go to the dealer if it were me.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Lucas didn't make an additive for manuals last I saw... If you're going to go to the hassle of getting under the car to put something in, just buy some BGSychroshift II and fill it up with the good stuff.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Where can I buy that? Thx BTW.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Lucas didn't make an additive for manuals last I saw... If you're going to go to the hassle of getting under the car to put something in, just buy some BGSychroshift II and fill it up with the good stuff.
Also spoke to a mechanic and he said its pretty normal that these trannies (manuals) will become louder when they are very hot, I guess it doesn't help I have a Barton bracket that also will magnify any normal drive line noise. He suggested that sound proofing will help out if I was interested and also said that adding an additive, all though will help, is a pain to do unless you know what I'm doing so that cancels me out! Lol. I wasn't aware that there wasn't a good old dip stick to pour it into. He also said if I was gonna do something do a flush and put in the best stuff.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, on these they have two bolts. A drain and fill. You fill it my putting fluid in until it dribbles out the fill bolt hole then stop. I'm not sure who sells BG Sychroshift now, just google it. It used to be really good stuff for the DSM transmissions which were finicky and had synchro issues, apparently it's just as good from what the Mustang guys that have used it have said. I'll grab me some when I get around to changing it, hopefully sooner, rather than later.

For the record, I experience the same issues with my transmission and the bracket magnifies everything.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, on these they have two bolts. A drain and fill. You fill it my putting fluid in until it dribbles out the fill bolt hole then stop. I'm not sure who sells BG Sychroshift now, just google it. It used to be really good stuff for the DSM transmissions which were finicky and had synchro issues, apparently it's just as good from what the Mustang guys that have used it have said. I'll grab me some when I get around to changing it, hopefully sooner, rather than later.

For the record, I experience the same issues with my transmission and the bracket magnifies everything.
Good to hear that you experiencing similar noise issues. It doesn't sound very pleasant at all but at least its seems to only happen when its gets extremely hot.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
How about putting on a transmission cooler?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:00 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Trans cooler only works with autos, sanguin is right though good stuff and pretty simple
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:53 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I looked into a trans cooler, only for autos. : (
Old 07-11-2013, 05:20 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Hmmm. I believe Ford uses a synthetic manual ttransmission fluid as well. Supprised to here that the manual transmission does not hold up to heat. My automatic will sit at times in traffic in the downtown Orlando Florida area at 5:00 PM. No sounds with it. I have flushed it once already though at 30K. I plan to replace the trans fluid (automatic) every 30K as well.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:33 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Hmmm. I believe Ford uses a synthetic manual ttransmission fluid as well. Supprised to here that the manual transmission does not hold up to heat. My automatic will sit at times in traffic in the downtown Orlando Florida area at 5:00 PM. No sounds with it. I have flushed it once already though at 30K. I plan to replace the trans fluid (automatic) every 30K as well.
I'm quite surprised also! I will check my manual to see when I should change it and then I'll put in the good stuff.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:50 AM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Might be worth changing it out more often then the recommended service interval. Ford says the automatic and manual transmission fluid is "lifetime", and recommends its change at 150K (owners manual). I think this is really pushing it. Heat is the number one reason for transmission failure, so leaving fluid in there that has been exposed to heat cannot be good.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Wow 150k? I guess I'll bite the bullet and have it done shortly! My ford dealer quoted me yesterday 140$-180$ if I bring the oil! Yikes.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Wow 150k? I guess I'll bite the bullet and have it done shortly! My ford dealer quoted me yesterday 140$-180$ if I bring the oil! Yikes.
Your Mustang is a manual, right? It sould be an easy DYI.

Drain plug on the bottom to let it all out, then remove the side fill plug, and fill away. To make filling easier, buy the 10 dollar pump attachment (it screws onto the 2 pint oil bottle), insert the tube into the fill hole and hand pump the oil in.

I'd suggest removing the fill hole plug first, to make sure it comes out easily (it should) before draining the old stuff out.

Royal Purple is great stuff. Been using it in the rear end for the last two fluid changes. They make it for the manual transmission too.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

The only thing besides BG I've seen recommended/used is Redline MTL I believe.

Yes, the factory Ford stuff is synthetic, but I'd almost wager this is a side effect of going to the thinner crap to prevent stiff shifting in cold weather, which all '13+ come with from the factory. Fix one problem, make another.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:14 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The only thing besides BG I've seen recommended/used is Redline MTL I believe.

Yes, the factory Ford stuff is synthetic, but I'd almost wager this is a side effect of going to the thinner crap to prevent stiff shifting in cold weather, which all '13+ come with from the factory. Fix one problem, make another.
Exactly. I'm gonna try and get it done next weekend! I'm still undecided on which fluid to use. I'm also trying to find a beater winter car so I won't have to worry about cold shifting.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Your Mustang is a manual, right? It sould be an easy DYI.

Drain plug on the bottom to let it all out, then remove the side fill plug, and fill away. To make filling easier, buy the 10 dollar pump attachment (it screws onto the 2 pint oil bottle), insert the tube into the fill hole and hand pump the oil in.

I'd suggest removing the fill hole plug first, to make sure it comes out easily (it should) before draining the old stuff out.

Royal Purple is great stuff. Been using it in the rear end for the last two fluid changes. They make it for the manual transmission too.
Ford was telling me about removing the pan that was why it was expensive. Its not necessary? Thanks again I've never had to do anything to a transmission before so I really don't know.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Is a Transmission Cooler the same as a Transmission Cooler Pump?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

The trans cooler is either part of the radiator or a small radiator like object that cools the transmission fluid as it is cycled through it by the pump made in the transmission.

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Ford was telling me about removing the pan that was why it was expensive. Its not necessary? Thanks again I've never had to do anything to a transmission before so I really don't know.
I think they priced you an automatic fluid change...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang