Trans Swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Trans Swap

Hypothetically speaking, how costly and difficult would it be to swap an auto to a manual?
Taylorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
sell the car and go buy a manual.. lol it'd save you time and money
emery2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by emery2483
sell the car and go buy a manual.. lol it'd save you time and money
+1,000

It will be much cheaper and save you tons of hard work.
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
You would need transmission crossmember, probably a driveshaft, different ecu. I think that's it but I'm probably missing something
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Selling the car isn't an option. Anyone know estimated cost?

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_stang View Post
You would need transmission crossmember, probably a driveshaft, different ecu. I think that's it but I'm probably missing something
And thank you for answering my question. +1
Old 07-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I would think somewhere around $5k. not to familiar with manual trans tho.
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Why would you do that? The automatic can handle 800 hp, plus at high hp levels the automatic is going to be more street friendly. Not to mention a better drag race platform.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
I believe the transmission alone is 3k, driveshaft is around 700-800, clutch/ flywhweel/pressure plate around 1000, crossmember and ecu I have no idea. There is a tremec t56 magnum kit that includes trans,clutch, and driveshaft for a round 4k but I don't know if it will bolt up to a v6, since the v6 and gt transmissions are nearly identicle I think it might, all depends on the bolt patters for the bellhousing
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
Why would you do that? The automatic can handle 800 hp, plus at high hp levels the automatic is going to be more street friendly. Not to mention a better drag race platform.
Because I don't like not controlling my gears. Yes, I do have the sport shift thing, but it's slow and dumb. And because I've grown attached to my car, I'm not going to sell it.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Check out tci transmissions, its gonna be about 10 grand plus all and all with a decent trans. Plus you have to cut like 90 holes to add the clutch pedal and run a bunch of cables. Manual to auto is easy other way around not so much. Like everyone else said trade it in or get the tci ratchet shifter
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:19 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Maybe he want to truly drive his car. Going threw gears is fun as compared to just sitting there.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:24 AM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Unless you can obtain a wrecked Mustang with the transmission and parts your going to need, it's just not going to be an easy and worth while job to do on your own. It's best to have the donor transmission car at the location of where the swap will be done. There's always the chance of a small dodad bracket, nut, bolt, or whatever needed to complete the job that you may have forgot to remove/buy.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastV6 View Post
Maybe he want to truly drive his car. Going threw gears is fun as compared to just sitting there.
If your referring to the factory craptacular manual trans called the MT-82, I would hardly call a notchy shifter and being locked out of gears as truly enjoying your car while rowing through gears.
Now if I was the op and bent on spending money and swapping out I would get the Tremec T56 magnum manual trans (as someone pointed out above). If your gonna do the swap, do it right.
Every car that was my personal vehicle (excluding the wifes) has been a manual trans up till the Mustang. After driving 3 different test drives in different manual mustangs, I came to the realization that the factory manual trans in the mustang sucks. Now couple those problems with the manual trans with more power, gears, etc .the manual trans becomes less fun. So sure the manual trans is more fun when it works correctly, you are right.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

If your referring to the factory craptacular manual trans called the MT-82, I would hardly call a notchy shifter and being locked out of gears as truly enjoying your car while rowing through gears.
Now if I was the op and bent on spending money and swapping out I would get the Tremec T56 magnum manual trans (as someone pointed out above). If your gonna do the swap, do it right.
Every car that was my personal vehicle (excluding the wifes) has been a manual trans up till the Mustang. After driving 3 different test drives in different manual mustangs, I came to the realization that the factory manual trans in the mustang sucks. Now couple those problems with the manual trans with more power, gears, etc .the manual trans becomes less fun. So sure the manual trans is more fun when it works correctly, you are right.
Being locked out is just a 65$ bracket upgrade! Hardly a good enough reason to say it sucks!! BTW although tremecs are great trannys they are also know to be a bit notchy!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Being locked out is just a 65$ bracket upgrade! Hardly a good enough reason to say it sucks! Dumb dumb! BTW although tremecs are great trannys they are also know to be a bit notchy!
I've read the bracket helps with the notchy shifting but does not totally cure the lock out problem. Unless those people are lying its not a 100% fix, but helps.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I've read the bracket helps with the notchy shifting but does not totally cure the lock out problem. Unless those people are lying its not a 100% fix, but helps.
Its still a bit notchy between 1st and 2nd but its now much nicer going through the gears. Since the upgrade I've only been locked out once and I'll blame that one on me, remember the gates are really close on this tranny, nothing like my brother in laws 95 5 speed gt so it will happen from time to time. But I must say its almost always smooth as silk, all in all it just feels good! If you search around many people complain about there trannys from Chevy guys to dodge guys and mustang guys.. Google" tremec notchy" and you will see many complaints about those also and they are supposed to be some of the best trannys available, so all in all I very happy with mine!
Old 07-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Unless you can obtain a wrecked Mustang with the transmission and parts your going to need, it's just not going to be an easy and worth while job to do on your own. It's best to have the donor transmission car at the location of where the swap will be done. There's always the chance of a small dodad bracket, nut, bolt, or whatever needed to complete the job that you may have forgot to remove/buy.
This is what I thought would be the easiest/cheapest way, but finding a wrecked manual mustang with tranny intact will be kinda difficult I would think.

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamphier View Post
Check out tci transmissions, its gonna be about 10 grand plus all and all with a decent trans. Plus you have to cut like 90 holes to add the clutch pedal and run a bunch of cables. Manual to auto is easy other way around not so much. Like everyone else said trade it in or get the tci ratchet shifter
What's the tci ratchet shifter?
Old 07-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Its like sport shift but you manually do it and it will lock into gear. It has to be an 11 or 12 though that's the only reason I don't have it. http://www.tciauto.com/tc/streetfigh...t-shifter.html
Old 07-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone

My MT-82 has been one of the best transmissions I've owned. Just because there have been problems with some peoples trans doesn't mean they are all crappy. Mine shifts like butter and has had no lockout problems. I'd still rather drive a car with a crappy standard transmission than a slush box automatic.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post
My MT-82 has been one of the best transmissions I've owned. Just because there have been problems with some peoples trans doesn't mean they are all crappy. Mine shifts like butter and has had no lockout problems. I'd still rather drive a car with a crappy standard transmission than a slush box automatic.
If you say so
Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't say slush box especially with a tune...
Old 07-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I wouldn't say slush box especially with a tune...
IMO ford has always made a great automatic rear drive tranny! Before I bought my manual I test drove the auto ( couldn't drive stick) while it felt solid, under load it felt a little confused at times to what gear it was going to finally choose and would sometimes hang a little longer than I'd like. I also think ford got the select shift all wrong, while the idea is good, a little button on the side of the shifter was not the way to go IMO. They should have gone to a similar set up as Mazda has. I did hear that a tune makes it react much better. I also wouldn't call it a slush box, though not my first choice, it still felt very solid!
Old 07-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Yea the sport shift blows my already messed up. That's why I wish the ratchet would work on mine, my transmission never lagged though probably also depends on the gears... a 1000+ HP stock trans still blows my mind though
Old 07-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
IMO ford has always made a great automatic rear drive tranny! Before I bought my manual I test drove the auto ( couldn't drive stick) while it felt solid, under load it felt a little confused at times to what gear it was going to finally choose and would sometimes hang a little longer than I'd like. I also think ford got the select shift all wrong, while the idea is good, a little button on the side of the shifter was not the way to go IMO. They should have gone to a similar set up as Mazda has. I did hear that a tune makes it react much better. I also wouldn't call it a slush box, though not my first choice, it still felt very solid!
You can stick the car into sport shift and let the car do the shifting. It holds each gears rpms higher between shifts then the stock drive setting. You don't have to use the + or - when sport shift is selected.
Also with a proper tune (I use MPT 93 Performance Race) the shifts are fast, crisp and no gear "hunting". Heck my tune with 3.73 I get a chirp from the tires on the 1-2 shift and sometimes the 2-3 and this is with the car in drive not sport shift and with the cars sport mode on (a selectable traction control feature I always use except in rain ).
I haven't even turned TC off with the gears/tune because I know I'll get sideways with the tires I have.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You can stick the car into sport shift and let the car do the shifting. It holds each gears rpms higher between shifts then the stock drive setting. You don't have to use the + or - when sport shift is selected.
Also with a proper tune (I use MPT 93 Performance Race) the shifts are fast, crisp and no gear "hunting". Heck my tune with 3.73 I get a chirp from the tires on the 1-2 shift and sometimes the 2-3 and this is with the car in drive not sport shift and with the cars sport mode on (a selectable traction control feature I always use except in rain ).
I haven't even turned TC off with the gears/tune because I know I'll get sideways with the tires I have.
Mines the same way and I only have 3.55s. I also have 285s in the rear and it will chirp into third with a tune I did on the programmer
Old 07-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Mines the same way and I only have 3.55s. I also have 285s in the rear and it will chirp into third with a tune I did on the programmer
Nothing wrong with an auto, if I had one I would definitely get a tune.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't doubt it one bit, I almost made a big mistake after I first got the gears and tune by gunning it out of a turn. Learned that was a big no no with the new mods. Wife about had a heart attack and needless to say I was driving nice the rest of the way home with her eyes burning right through me.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Yea that happens frequently I don't even turn off the traction control unless I'm racing. My girlfriend hates when I drive fast...
Old 07-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Its like sport shift but you manually do it and it will lock into gear. It has to be an 11 or 12 though that's the only reason I don't have it. http://www.tciauto.com/tc/streetfigh...t-shifter.html
Well I've got a '13.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Well back to the drawing board then
Old 07-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe I can find a manual who wants to trade trannies? It's quite the long shot though.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Yea but that will be a lot of work for you though
Old 07-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Looks like a lot of work no matter what, and a lot of money if I buy a tranny outright.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:29 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Yea that happens frequently I don't even turn off the traction control unless I'm racing. My girlfriend hates when I drive fast...
haha what?! that's the only time I get a road hummer haha
RocknCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:29 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Yea it will be a lot of time and money. Also of its your daily it will be down for awhile.. . Yea I think she secretly likes it just wants me to be safe lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang