How soon before a tune and other newbie questions?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
How soon before a tune and other newbie questions??

I will be taking delivery of my 2014 Mustang in the next few weeks. I plan on ordering a BAMA tune and an Airaid CAI from American Muscle the first night I have my car.

My first question, is there a break-in tune or time period to leave the car alone? If so how many miles would be safe to do the first round of mods to the car? I was thinking of installing the tune and CAI at the 2,000 mile mark as I feel that should be a safe amount of time for the car to be broke-in. Unless it is safe to do as soon as I get the car.

For round 2 of mods (winter or spring, maybe earlier), I plan on changing the exhaust and maybe replacing the drive shaft. Would an axle back or cat back system give any real gains in performance or should I just go with a set of long tubes with an x pipe and cat deletes and leave the stock mufflers? I am just trying to figure out what is worth doing and what is worth leaving alone.

Finally, I thought about spraying the car at some point. I was thinking a 100 - 125 shot would be enough. I would of course be using a wet system. Are there any issues with fuel puddling in the intake?

That also leads me to my next question, how tough is the drive train on these cars? From what I have read, the MT82 works fairly well and seems to hold a decent amount of power at least on the GT's. The rear end on these from what I have seen, hold up pretty well also on the GT's. Are the MT82 and rear end the same spec as the GT's? I am mainly worried about the clutch, how much power can they hold?

Apologies for so many questions but I haven't found definitive answers to any of the things I have asked here.

Also, I bought the car with the 2.73 gear set for a reason. Please do not waste your time suggesting I change those out. I want to keep the car under 1600 RPM @ 60 MPH on the highway.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
There's really not much of a break in period on the newer Mustangs. Everyone has their own opinions on how long you should drive before the engine is broken in, but the dealership will tell you the engine is broken in from day one.

Plus to test that, we tuned our brand new 2011 GT, 2011 v6, 2012 GT, 2013 GT, and 2014 GT right from the start. All of these cars had less than 30 miles on them before they were tuned. Even with a hard life, all of these guys are still running great!

LT's are a great mod for any model Mustang. I highly recommend them over any other exhaust options, but of course they are more costly. So, it really depends on your budget.

Bama will tune for up to a 100 shot of nitrous. You'll need a 1 step colder spark plug for this, too. Depending on your other bolt-on mods, you may need a boost-a-pump too.

The drivetrain in these cars are very stout. I wouldn't expect to have any issues with this setup. Of course, if you're drag racing often you may need a new clutch down the road.

This was a quick run down of the basics for you. If you have any specific questions when you get to each mod, feel free to send me a PM. I'll help make sure you're setup properly!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Thanks for the quick reply Shane. I will be ordering the tuner and CAI once I know the car is on it's way.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang