Car smells really bad! Like rotten eggs or sulfur. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Car smells really bad! Like rotten eggs or sulfur.

Hey everyone. Please help me out! So today after I got off from work and turned on my car I noticed that it began smelling really bad. It smelled like rotten eggs or like sulfur it smelt really bad and was really strong that it felt like my nostrils were burning. On my way home the car constantly smelled bad and some of the smell was going into the cabin. When I got home it still smelled bad. I dont know why it smells like this. Does anybody have this problem too? I have a 2011 Mustang V6 With a Steeda CAI and a 91 octane hybrid tune. I'm currently running on 92 octane since its the highest I can find in my city.

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

Any help will help. Thank you in advance.
BryanGTR169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Why aren't you running a 91 tune on 91 octane instead of a 91 tune and 92 octane?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanGTR169 View Post
Hey everyone. Please help me out! So today after I got off from work and turned on my car I noticed that it began smelling really bad. It smelled like rotten eggs or like sulfur it smelt really bad and was really strong that it felt like my nostrils were burning. On my way home the car constantly smelled bad and some of the smell was going into the cabin. When I got home it still smelled bad. I dont know why it smells like this. Does anybody have this problem too? I have a 2011 Mustang V6 With a Steeda CAI and a 91 octane hybrid tune. I'm currently running on 92 octane since its the highest I can find in my city.

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

Any help will help. Thank you in advance.
Do you have the dopest grabber vert in the world!
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I had that problem when my cat went bad. Went offload hpipe smell disappeared
Old 07-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Why aren't you running a 91 tune on 91 octane instead of a 91 tune and 92 octane?
Well I called American Muscle and asked them if I could use a 92 octane on a 91 hybrid tune. They said it was completely safe as long as I don't go lower than 91. So I've been using it for about a month. I fill her up at chevron which offers 92 octane. I know the higher the octane the better the performance so I've been using it. Should I just go back to using the 91 octane? I filled her up last week and that was my fourth time filling it up with 92. The bad smell started today.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb1987 View Post
Ah really? I still have my stock exhaust.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb1987 View Post
I was thinking about buying the Borla atak in about three months or so.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post

Do you have the dopest grabber vert in the world!
Haha thanks. You should see it now with my new appearance mods.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Could the smell be coming from my battery? I just tried to turn on the car to see if it still smelled and the battery appeared to be dead. Could this be the reason for the awful smell?
Old 07-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
So the smell was only around when you turned on the car?
Junior21gtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Yes, It could be the battery

If your battery is now dead it may have been overcharging and burning up. You need to get the system checked out.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior21gtz View Post
So the smell was only around when you turned on the car?
Well after I jump started it it smelled up until I got home.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:

Well after I jump started it it smelled up until I got home.
I would definitly check the cats
taf9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
If your battery is now dead it may have been overcharging and burning up. You need to get the system checked out.

Ronnie
I've been having problems with the battery for the past week or so it's been dying on me and it would take a long time for my car to crank up. I'm getting it checked on Monday and will be getting a new battery. Hopefully that solves the problem.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by taf9991 View Post

I would definitly check the cats
I hope it's not the Cats! That would be an expensive fix right?
Old 07-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

If thats the problem it would be cheaper to just get a mid pipe with or without cats
Old 07-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by taf9991 View Post
If thats the problem it would be cheaper to just get a mid pipe with or without cats
Agreed! The perfect time to get my full exhaust system.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #14
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:

I've been having problems with the battery for the past week or so it's been dying on me and it would take a long time for my car to crank up. I'm getting it checked on Monday and will be getting a new battery. Hopefully that solves the problem.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

I hope it's not the Cats! That would be an expensive fix right?
The cats are covered under the emissions warranty
Old 07-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #15
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:

Agreed! The perfect time to get my full exhaust system.
But you could have a hole in the muffler like I did.. And I hope your not an environmentalist because if you can, yank those cats off!
Old 07-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #16
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Have you changed the cabin filter since you bought it?
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:12 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Dude roll down the window when you rip one next time.....

Lol Jk hopefully you find a solution to it my man
Next_up23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Sulfuric acid smells like rotten eggs (Battery)

The OP has been having trouble with the battery. I'm hoping he will go to someplace reliable to get the whole charging system checked out. The battery may have a cell shorting out or it actually could be the voltage regulator having a problem and overcharged the battery causing it to burn up.

I'm pretty sure it is not a catalytic converter or exhaust leak. It is a Battery or A charging system problem.

Ronnie
Old 07-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #19
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
The OP has been having trouble with the battery. I'm hoping he will go to someplace reliable to get the whole charging system checked out. The battery may have a cell shorting out or it actually could be the voltage regulator having a problem and overcharged the battery causing it to burn up.

I'm pretty sure it is not a catalytic converter or exhaust leak. It is a Battery or A charging system problem.

Ronnie
That can also make a sulfur smell.

I agree if you replace the battery and if that doesn't solve it then you'd know it's not that but start with the obvious
Old 07-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Go to get it checked out first

If there is a problem in the charging system , You don't want to burn up a new battery. Get the car checked out first. Most places that sell batteries will be able to check out the charging system unless you go to Walmart or someplace like K-Mart. Personally I myself would just go to the Ford dealer and get it done. I know it costs more but I also know it would be checked out properly and warrantied.

Just throwing in a new battery and not knowing why the first one burnt up would be kind of foolish.

Been there --done that

Ronnie
Old 07-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I was having issues with my battery to. It would take a while to crank up and sometimes it would just start right up. I went to autozone had them test my battery it said it was 100% charge but there was a bad cell got a new battery the next day haven't had any issues since.
formulaDstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Cool, I'm happy you got it fixed.

Ronnie
Old 07-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Have you changed the cabin filter since you bought it?
Yup!

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next_up23 View Post
Dude roll down the window when you rip one next time.....

Lol Jk hopefully you find a solution to it my man
Lol! Good one man! Had me laughing! Haha I did find the solution. Thank god it was only my bad battery. I bought a new one and now my car is good as new.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

Quote:
If there is a problem in the charging system , You don't want to burn up a new battery. Get the car checked out first. Most places that sell batteries will be able to check out the charging system unless you go to Walmart or someplace like K-Mart. Personally I myself would just go to the Ford dealer and get it done. I know it costs more but I also know it would be checked out properly and warrantied.

Just throwing in a new battery and not knowing why the first one burnt up would be kind of foolish.

Been there --done that

Ronnie
Just got a new battery installed earlier today and thankfully I actually work at a Ford dealership so my buddy checked out my charging system for free. I just had a bad battery. It was the original battery the car came with when I bought it brand new. So I guess it was time for a new one. Thank you all of you who helped me out and gave me advice your all the best! Now I can go back to enjoying driving America's favorite muscle car! Go Mustangs!!

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulaDstang View Post
I was having issues with my battery to. It would take a while to crank up and sometimes it would just start right up. I went to autozone had them test my battery it said it was 100% charge but there was a bad cell got a new battery the next day haven't had any issues since.
I had the same problem here. Now my car starts right up.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:20 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yup!

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Lol! Good one man! Had me laughing! Haha I did find the solution. Thank god it was only my bad battery. I bought a new one and now my car is good as new.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

Just got a new battery installed earlier today and thankfully I actually work at a Ford dealership so my buddy checked out my charging system for free. I just had a bad battery. It was the original battery the car came with when I bought it brand new. So I guess it was time for a new one. Thank you all of you who helped me out and gave me advice your all the best! Now I can go back to enjoying driving America's favorite muscle car! Go Mustangs!!

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

I had the same problem here. Now my car starts right up.
Glad you figured it out and it was something simple
Old 07-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #25
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Been following this post. Wise folks such as Ronnie make this site a good choice to get logical answers. Whenever there's a charging issue, i.e. a dead battery, have the complete charging system checked out. Rotten egg type smell can be an overcharged battery, or an exhaust issue, or even a dead critter that crawled up into the engine compartment.

Tossing parts at it is expensive. Most repair centers these days do a free check on systems, such as charging, AC, and others. As consumers, we are foolish not to take advantage of it. Sure saves in money spent tossing parts at something. Sooner or later you fix it, but at a much higher cost.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang