Stripes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Stripes

Hey there guys. I was going to get vinyl stripes for my car soon and on the very back bumper there is a small chip and was curious if that would affect the vinyl adhearing properly? Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Idk. But. I'm getting stripes to cover up a chip. Lol. If that help. Why color are you going with.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Nope it won't affect it.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
If the stripe is going to cover the chipped spot, then why not use a bit of "filler" to make the chipped spot smooth? The stripe will sag into the chipped spot once out into the sun.

A few minutes to fill in the spot before applying the stripe will make for a professional result.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
If the stripe is going to cover the chipped spot, then why not use a bit of "filler" to make the chipped spot smooth? The stripe will sag into the chipped spot once out into the sun.

A few minutes to fill in the spot before applying the stripe will make for a proffesional result.
Good idea, he should do that.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Good idea, he should do that.
Hey man, not trying to hijack but are those the GT500 stripes on your ride?

They look PERFECT!

How do you like them? They're the gloss stripes right?

Are they difficult to care for?
Old 07-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderfreak145 View Post

Hey man, not trying to hijack but are those the GT500 stripes on your ride?

They look PERFECT!

How do you like them? They're the gloss stripes right?

Are they difficult to care for?
Thanks bro, yeah they are the gt 500 stripes from AM, I really like them and are very durable. They require no special care whatsoever.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I hear that after gears and tune, stripes are the next best performance mod. Usually +15 hp. :p
Old 07-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I've used dr color chip to fill it as best I can. I'm going with a metallic silver for my stripes.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ok guys. Here something I'm not proud of and it makes me lose sleep. Everytime I go to anywhere I always park in the very back out of everybody's way I even put shopping carts that are out and put them away. Well when I came out of Walmart there was a cart drifting towards the mustang and bam. Tagged the lower rear bumper. It's very low and out of the way but it's still there and I hate it. It's hard to capture in a picture. But hear ya go

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-17766541.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	118409

Now if you notice right where the light bends is where it hit at. If you can notice it ill take a better picture. Body shop wanted 547 dollars to fix it. No thank you. It just marred the plastic in that are. There is a very very slight dent, but its right on that body line and so tiny i dont think it could be removed. Again, just curious if the stripes would adhere correctly in that area.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

They will adhere properly but will probably magnify the dent.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Dang...
ironsurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
My son works at a body shop as a painter (biy, is that a deal for me!); he told me that the bumpers can be a bit more of a pain, as they use a type of flex epoxy to correct dents, splits, and tears in the plastics. This may be why they are charging you that much, although he says it's no more difficult then body filler on metal in most cases.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

My dad was very good at that stuff as well. He used to be in paint and body. I still think that is a big price and would rather dump that elsewhere into the car. Nobody notices it..... but it bugs me lol. I think the silver mettalic stripes will look awesome on black.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsurvivor View Post
My dad was very good at that stuff as well. He used to be in paint and body. I still think that is a big price and would rather dump that elsewhere into the car. Nobody notices it..... but it bugs me lol. I think the silver mettalic stripes will look awesome on black.
It will still look awesome without fixing it. It doesn't seem like anything drastic and no one will even notice except you. I had a stripe on my trunk that I wasn't happy with but everyone said it look great and didn't notice anything wrong with it, but my ocd kicked in and I removed it and re did it. Lol
Old 07-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

That sounds like something I would do lol. Right now is when I really wish my dad was around. He was very talented in vinyl as well. He did awnings for businesses and he could really help me on this job. I've noticed another site that sells the vinyl stripes and they are pre cut already vs buying the whole roll from AM. I guess the advantage of the roll is if you mess up bad you've got more to fix it with
Old 07-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That sounds like something I would do lol. Right now is when I really wish my dad was around. He was very talented in vinyl as well. He did awnings for businesses and he could really help me on this job. I've noticed another site that sells the vinyl stripes and they are pre cut already vs buying the whole roll from AM. I guess the advantage of the roll is if you mess up bad you've got more to fix it with
Exactly! My first piece was the hood and as I was squeegeeing the water out it kinked so I ripped it off and started again. If you get the stripes from AM I can tell you they give quite a bit extra! Its very easy to cut it to length its when your trimming the edges to get it perfect is the tricky part.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Love your stripes btw! So I'm guessing you installed them yourself? Any advice?
Old 07-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Love your stripes btw! So I'm guessing you installed them yourself? Any advice?
Thx, do your car over a period of days, don't try to finish it in one day. Depending on what stripes you choice to put on, if you do something like gt 500 stripes start with the hood, than the next day the roof and so on. Patience is the key! The littlest imperfection will really stand out and make all your hard work seem wasted! Some people say you can use a hair dryer but I was lucky enough to have a heat gun, it will become your best friend on this project! YouTube and Google will help you a lot with techniques also. Measure 5 times cut once!
Old 07-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds good, thanks. Part I'm most worried about is the roof. Since I'm not that talk its going to be very tricky.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Sounds good, thanks. Part I'm most worried about is the roof. Since I'm not that tall its going to be very tricky.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Hey there guys. I was going to get vinyl stripes for my car soon and on the very back bumper there is a small chip and was curious if that would affect the vinyl adhearing properly? Thanks!
Yes the vinyl with show the chip. You will want to fill it in.

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Nope it won't affect it.
I have proof it does on my car! I'm currently working. I'll take a picture at break time and post it i'm glad my chip is under the hash mark. Cheap easy fix.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Could you post that picture FastV6?
Old 07-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastV6 View Post

Yes the vinyl with show the chip. You will want to fill it in.

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

I have proof it does on my car! I'm currently working. I'll take a picture at break time and post it i'm glad my chip is under the hash mark. Cheap easy fix.
It shouldn't if u used a heat gun. You just have to be creative and find a way to work it in. Look for something around the house that will fit in the tiny area and work it with a heat gun. It will show but will still adhere. When vinyl is heated it becomes very elasticity and will pretty much go wherever you chose but in tough areas you have to work it and it may take some time.. But it would be best like buko stated to fill it before you stripe if possible because depending on what color stripe you choice it will magnify that area!
Old 07-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

What would you recommend to fill that little spot I put up? Something that would not mess up the paint further while the stripes are on it
Old 07-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What would you recommend to fill that little spot I put up? Something that would not mess up the paint further while the stripes are on it
Sorry that I can't help with but I'm sure someone will chime in.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm something that might work that won't damage your paint, a dab of caulking or silicone. Fill in the chip then take a wet rag and clean away the excess until your satisfied. Might actually work! Yep thats the route I would go, it will act like body filler but you can easily remove it and won't damage your paint. Definitely worth a try.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Thats an option. Can anybody else chime in?
Old 07-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

something else in the back of my head is that after a long time when i remove them wont the paint under the stripes look different than the rest of the car?
Old 07-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
something else in the back of my head is that after a long time when i remove them wont the paint under the stripes look different than the rest of the car?
I'm hoping not! Lol
Old 07-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

the silicone doesnt sound like too bad of an idea. I saw a pic of AM of the silver gt500 stripes from the back and i could tell how it would magnify that spot. Im not so sure about caulk, but silicone i will give some thought to
Old 07-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
the silicone doesnt sound like too bad of an idea. I saw a pic of AM of the silver gt500 stripes from the back and i could tell how it would magnify that spot. Im not so sure about caulk, but silicone i will give some thought to
Well at least its just a couple bucks and won't damage anything. Maybe someone will chime in with something else!?
Old 07-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I appreciate all your help FastFord13 and those stripes look sick on your candy red im guessing?

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

what did you use for application fluid? Just soap and water?
Old 07-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I appreciate all your help FastFord13 and those stripes look sick on your candy red im guessing?

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

what did you use for application fluid? Just soap and water?
Thx, no prob, yep candy apple and three drops of baby shampoo in a regular size spray bottle.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

What do you think about pdr? I'm skeptical as it is so small and on the rear plastic bumper and on a body line
Old 07-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What do you think about pdr? I'm skeptical as it is so small and on the rear plastic bumper and on a body line
What's pdr?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang