After much debate... - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknCali View Post
+9999 most of these kids are just playing with mom and dads money...
I wish mommy and daddy gave me mod money XD
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 03:35 AM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
We've got a 96 SVT Cobra. No cats, off road H pipe, Flowmaster exhaust, 5 speed, K&N CAI, B&M short shift, Superchip, factory 3.23 or 3.27 gears. I've never got more than 21MPG and generally average 18 MPG. I bought an SCT Tuner with BAMA Tunes. I need to remove the Superchip before I can upgrade the tune. I'm envious of people getting 27mpg. The car is well maintained with only 44K miles. I'm guessing the Superchip is killing my gas mileage. We generally cruise at 72-75 ocaissionally 80. That's the sweet spot. I'd like to upgrade to 3.73's to decrease my ET. But that's not my biggest goal. I like the top end of 152. I hate to give up a lot of high speed cruising capabilities if I ever get it to a track day.

I'd like to improve the suspension and set it up for autocross. What's the best gears for that? Thanks, Spiney-Dave
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:10 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
We've got a 96 SVT Cobra. No cats, off road H pipe, Flowmaster exhaust, 5 speed, K&N CAI, B&M short shift, Superchip, factory 3.23 or 3.27 gears. I've never got more than 21MPG and generally average 18 MPG. I bought an SCT Tuner with BAMA Tunes. I need to remove the Superchip before I can upgrade the tune. I'm envious of people getting 27mpg. The car is well maintained with only 44K miles. I'm guessing the Superchip is killing my gas mileage. We generally cruise at 72-75 ocaissionally 80. That's the sweet spot. I'd like to upgrade to 3.73's to decrease my ET. But that's not my biggest goal. I like the top end of 152. I hate to give up a lot of high speed cruising capabilities if I ever get it to a track day.

I'd like to improve the suspension and set it up for autocross. What's the best gears for that? Thanks, Spiney-Dave

[ATTACH]119238
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130719_061000.png
Views:	69
Size:	479.4 KB
ID:	119237   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130719_061056.png
Views:	86
Size:	479.4 KB
ID:	119238  

2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknCali View Post
I have yet to see any conclusive evidence that the GT driveshaft is weaker and more likely to break than the v6 driveshaft.

And please don't reference youtube because I point you to a website that claims god is a giant flying spaghetti monster
GT shaft is not weaker, it is stronger, but it has more recorded failures as more powerful motor that gets beaten on more. The funniest report is on saftcar government reports; owner reported: "Son was doing burnouts, drive shaft broke, dealer refused warranty"

Duh

Anyway I second what Six7one said about monitoring for clunk. I have been and I have had a u-joint like clunk sound since owning it. I had a Ford rep on another site tell me to have my dealer look at it and get her the details; and I plan to in the following few weeks. So if he said look out for clunk, he has some inside info it seems. I would post the link from Safecar.gov but the website is frozen in java errors today when I try to so the complaint search under recalls.

edit: You can't deep link into that website. Besides about 98 complaints of 2012 MT82 transmissions causing things from bad gear selection to crashes when forced into 3rd from 5th; you find this tidy bit of fun:
[SUMMARY: TL* THE CONTACT OWN A 2012 FORD MUSTANG GT. THE CONTACT STATED THAT HIS SON WAS DOING A BURN OUT IN THE VEHICLE AND THE DRIVE SHAFT WAS DESTROYED. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO THE DEALER FOR REPAIR. THE DEALER WOULD NOT HONOR THE WARRANTY BECAUSE THEY SURMISED THAT THE VEHICLE HAD BEEN USED FOR RACING. THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOTIFIED AND OFFERED NO ASSISTANCE. THE VEHICLE WAS THEN TAKEN TO A DIFFERENT DEALER, WHO AGREED TO REPAIR THE VEHICLE FOR A LESSER COST. THE DEALER THEN STATED THAT HE WAS INSTRUCTED BY THE MANUFACTURER NOT TO REPAIR THE VEHICLE AT A DISCOUNT. THE VEHICLE HAD NOT BEEN REPAIRED. THE FAILURE AND CURRENT MILEAGES WERE 13,000"]
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post

GT shaft is not weaker, it is stronger, but it has more recorded failures as more powerful motor that gets beaten on more. The funniest report is on saftcar government reports; owner reported: "Son was doing burnouts, drive shaft broke, dealer refused warranty"

Duh

Anyway I second what Six7one said about monitoring for clunk. I have been and I have had a u-joint like clunk sound since owning it. I had a Ford rep on another site tell me to have my dealer look at it and get her the details; and I plan to in the following few weeks. So if he said look out for clunk, he has some inside info it seems. I would post the link from Safecar.gov but the website is frozen in java errors today when I try to so the complaint search under recalls.

edit: You can't deep link into that website. Besides about 98 complaints of 2012 MT82 transmissions causing things from bad gear selection to crashes when forced into 3rd from 5th; you find this tidy bit of fun:
[SUMMARY: TL* THE CONTACT OWN A 2012 FORD MUSTANG GT. THE CONTACT STATED THAT HIS SON WAS DOING A BURN OUT IN THE VEHICLE AND THE DRIVE SHAFT WAS DESTROYED. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO THE DEALER FOR REPAIR. THE DEALER WOULD NOT HONOR THE WARRANTY BECAUSE THEY SURMISED THAT THE VEHICLE HAD BEEN USED FOR RACING. THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOTIFIED AND OFFERED NO ASSISTANCE. THE VEHICLE WAS THEN TAKEN TO A DIFFERENT DEALER, WHO AGREED TO REPAIR THE VEHICLE FOR A LESSER COST. THE DEALER THEN STATED THAT HE WAS INSTRUCTED BY THE MANUFACTURER NOT TO REPAIR THE VEHICLE AT A DISCOUNT. THE VEHICLE HAD NOT BEEN REPAIRED. THE FAILURE AND CURRENT MILEAGES WERE 13,000"]
I've had the clunk since new also. Have 11k miles now. I assumed its 2 issues. One the automatic dropping to first which is a very low gear and 2 the split driveshaft. Maybe I should have the dealer look at it but I'm pretty sure what they will say: That's Normal.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post

I've had the clunk since new also. Have 11k miles now. I assumed its 2 issues. One the automatic dropping to first which is a very low gear and 2 the split driveshaft. Maybe I should have the dealer look at it but I'm pretty sure what they will say: That's Normal.
The only time I've felt a "clunk" is when shifting into second. both up and down shifting. could that be the stock DS?

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

I first chalked it up to "shotty" shifting but even sometimes when I baby it into 2nd I get a clunking sound
RocknCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Mine is usually the downshift to first when stopping. And when putting it into reverse. It's a clunk alright. But not something the dealership will call abnormal.

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 AM ----------

OASIS can work against you if the dealership presents a crap case to Ford. That dummy who blew up his DS is a prime example.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #78

Region: Canada
if you have an auto, there is a tsb out on the transmission issues. when you are coming to a stop, there is a bit of a so called bump feeling. that is normal operation as our cars were set up for fuel economy. when you put it into drive or reserve and you feel or here the clunk, its not the u joints or anything. its the transmission itself. the tsb that is out for it is tsb 11-11-11. google it and it will pop up. print it off and take it to your dealer and tell them what is going on with your car. its a simple fix. they replace 3 solenoids, new trans fluid and youre good to go. the shifting will be like night and day. im not sure if you or anyone else are having shift flare issues in between gears but that tsb covers it as well. the only problem with getting it fixed and only if ford can find your transmission being faulty. if your dealership cant find anything wrong, take it to another dealership but dont tell them you had someone look at it already.
Mods: Side and Rear Louvers, Magnaflow Competition Catback, Boss 302 Strut Bar, AE Aluminum DS, Airaid CAI, Dyno Tuned with Diablosport Trinity 87R Custom Tune, 285 RWHP and 290 RWTQ, BOSS 302S 19x9 Wheels with 255/40/19 Bridgestone Potenza's, RTR Spoiler, FRPP Lowering Springs (1.5" drop), GT500 Strut Mounts, FRPP Adjustable PanHard Bar, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP 3:73's FRPP x-pipe
Harmon2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon2011 View Post
if you have an auto, there is a tsb out on the transmission issues. when you are coming to a stop, there is a bit of a so called bump feeling. that is normal operation as our cars were set up for fuel economy. when you put it into drive or reserve and you feel or here the clunk, its not the u joints or anything. its the transmission itself. the tsb that is out for it is tsb 11-11-11. google it and it will pop up. print it off and take it to your dealer and tell them what is going on with your car. its a simple fix. they replace 3 solenoids, new trans fluid and youre good to go. the shifting will be like night and day. im not sure if you or anyone else are having shift flare issues in between gears but that tsb covers it as well. the only problem with getting it fixed and only if ford can find your transmission being faulty. if your dealership cant find anything wrong, take it to another dealership but dont tell them you had someone look at it already.
That tsb is for 2011 Mustangs and F150's built on or before 12-20-2010. So the normal bump feeling is caused by what?
Old 07-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #80

the tsb covers up to 2012-13. the bump is caused by the torque convertor. if you go to all ford mustangs forum, there is tons of talk about these issues and or concerns.
Mods: Side and Rear Louvers, Magnaflow Competition Catback, Boss 302 Strut Bar, AE Aluminum DS, Airaid CAI, Dyno Tuned with Diablosport Trinity 87R Custom Tune, 285 RWHP and 290 RWTQ, BOSS 302S 19x9 Wheels with 255/40/19 Bridgestone Potenza's, RTR Spoiler, FRPP Lowering Springs (1.5" drop), GT500 Strut Mounts, FRPP Adjustable PanHard Bar, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP 3:73's FRPP x-pipe
Old 07-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon2011 View Post
the tsb covers up to 2012-13. the bump is caused by the torque convertor. if you go to all ford mustangs forum, there is tons of talk about these issues and or concerns.
Can't find anything legit saying it includes newer cars. Hers the tsb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4118815897.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	119521  
Old 07-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #82

check the build date of your car. a buddy of mine has a 2012 and ford fixed his.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post
Mine is usually the downshift to first when stopping. And when putting it into reverse. It's a clunk alright. But not something the dealership will call abnormal.[COLOR="Silver"]
Do this , go to a large parking lot and put it in 2nd and leave it. Go from 5-7 to 12mpg and back down again, rinse and repeat. If you get u-joint clanking sounds, the Ford Rep on the AllFOrdMustangs told me to take it to my dealer, and then PM her with the Dealer manger and my VIN number. Others have done so and when I posted the above "clunk test" it got her attention very fast and she told me to get in in looked at an PM her. SO something is about this in Ford land I would think.

Mine is a 2013

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
I have a 2013. Did they expand it?
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang