After much debate... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
After much debate...

I decided on getting 3.55 gears and install kit from AM over getting an axle-back.

I REALLY wanted the sound of an exhaust...but with no performance gains to be realized...I saw it as less of a priority. Heck, I didn't want to sound fast and be slow(er).

Next will be suspension and drive shaft...
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Get fast then sound and look fast
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Nice! What's you're current gear ratio?
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Stock 2.73.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Get fast then sound and look fast
That's what I was thinking. I race rc cars and laugh a little when guys buy every bling item and spend nothing on actually being fast.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #5

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post
I decided on getting 3.55 gears and install kit from AM over getting an axle-back.

I REALLY wanted the sound of an exhaust...but with no performance gains to be realized...I saw it as less of a priority. Heck, I didn't want to sound fast and be slow(er).

The 3:55's will be much better than the stock 2:73's you have now, but the reason why you didn't get the 3:73's is you wanted to keep your fuel economy. why did you buy a mustang and why are you thinking about supercharging down the road? If you wanted fuel economy...should got a Prius or something....lol
Mods: Side and Rear Louvers, Magnaflow Competition Catback, Boss 302 Strut Bar, AE Aluminum DS, Airaid CAI, Dyno Tuned with Diablosport Trinity 87R Custom Tune, 285 RWHP and 290 RWTQ, BOSS 302S 19x9 Wheels with 255/40/19 Bridgestone Potenza's, RTR Spoiler, FRPP Lowering Springs (1.5" drop), GT500 Strut Mounts, FRPP Adjustable PanHard Bar, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP 3:73's FRPP x-pipe
Harmon2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon2011 View Post
The 3:55's will be much better than the stock 2:73's you have now, but the reason why you didn't get the 3:73's is you wanted to keep your fuel economy. why did you buy a mustang and why are you thinking about supercharging down the road? If you wanted fuel economy...should got a Prius or something....lol
Really? Sorry dude, the end of your response was pretty well...lacking in value.

The car is a daily driver. One of the draws of this generation Mustang is performance and decent fuel economy. No sense in modifying a car to the point that it wastes money the other 99% of the time it is used. I don't drive around looking to be the fastest a$$hat from one red light to the next.

Eventually, it will be supercharged. The 3.55's are better for that. Besides, I don't care for straight line performance. I have different plans. They don't include as aggressive a setup as 3.73's

Perhaps you should have purchased a GT?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:

Really? Sorry dude, the end of your response was pretty well...lacking in value.

The car is a daily driver. One of the draws of this generation Mustang is performance and decent fuel economy. No sense in modifying a car to the point that it wastes money the other 99% of the time it is used. I don't drive around looking to be the fastest a$$hat from one red light to the next.

Eventually, it will be supercharged. The 3.55's are better for that. Besides, I don't care for straight line performance. I have different plans. They don't include as aggressive a setup as 3.73's

Lol. What he said.
lllTRADEMARKlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Eventually, it will be supercharged. The 3.55's are better for that. Besides, I don't cstraight line performance. I have different plans. They don't include as aggressive a setup as 3.73's

3.55s are a good choice also, a lot better acceleration than those sad 2.73s that's for sure! I'll be going 3.73s because its not really that much harder on fuel consumption compared to the 3.55s.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

True. But a tad more than I wanted. If I dragged, without a doubt my choice.

Everybody likes what they like. Nice thing is that I can go 3.73 any time if I change my mind.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
True. But a tad more than I wanted. If I dragged, without a doubt my choice.

Everybody likes what they like. Nice thing is that I can go 3.73 any time if I change my mind.
Nothing wrong with 3:55. I got rid of my 2:73 gears a few months back and installed 3:73 gears. I couldn't be more happy. Love them. As far as supercharging, should I do that down the road, my car is an automatic so the 3:73 gearing is not an issue because I'm not shifting. Having 3:73 gears is a kick in the teeth compared to those 2:73 gears.

Besides if you don't like your 3:55's you can always spend another 500 to 600 and have 3:73 gears installed. Its only money, you can make more bro.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Are you auto or manual?

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Stock 2.73.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

That's what I was thinking. I race rc cars and laugh a little when guys buy every bling item and spend nothing on actually being fast.
Yes but those cars don't start with 305 HP lol.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

Are you auto or manual?

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

True! Lol

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Quote:

Are you auto or manual?

Slush box
Old 07-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+1 concerned about mpg and not being fast as **** then why sc?? Confused?

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Quote:

True! Lol

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Slush box
Lol!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

+1 concerned about mpg and not being fast as **** then why sc?? Confused!
Today. It is a daily driver today.
SC in the future...
While it is a DD, I care about a BALANCE of performance and efficiency.

Why are so many either surprised by this or incapable of grasping the concept as explained earlier?

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Besides if you don't like your 3:55's you can always spend another 500 to 600 and have 3:73 gears installed. Its only money, you can make more bro.
Good thing is I trade out computer work for a shop...I only buy the gear.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

SC in the future...

Why are so many either surprised by this or incapable of grasping the concept as explained earlier?

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Good thing is I trade out computer work for a shop...I only buy the gear.
O.k I guess, hey its your ride and money. Hope it all works out!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

SC in the future...

+9999 most of these kids are just playing with mom and dads money...
RocknCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknCali View Post

+9999 most of these kids are just playing with mom and dads money...
Who r u calling kids buddy???? I have kids. Lol
Old 07-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

just looking to get a rise... haha
RocknCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
LOL...Mine is off to college and then the Navy...

Gave her the 2011 econo-box Focus for graduation, mom got my Kia Forte SX and I got the Mustang. Musical cars! But, I now have a fun platform to monkey with.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Well done!

LOL

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Quote:
O.k I guess, hey its your ride and money. Hope it all works out!
Me too!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Good 1. lol.

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

Quote:
LOL...Mine is off to college and then the Navy...

Gave her the 2011 econo-box Focus for graduation, mom got my Kia Forte SX and I got the Mustang. Musical cars! But, I now have a fun platform to monkey with.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Well done!

LOL

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Me too!
It will, and will be bad ***!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #21
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I'm so freaking torn on which gearing to go with.

Here's my dilemma: If I get the 3.31 I can still have a Ford factory tune, so they can't bust my chops on potential warranty work. Plus the 3.31 would be nice for my 75% highway driving.

Or do I go with the 3.55 and have to buy the tuner for an extra $380 and have the potential for Ford to throw that at me if I have any warranty issues.

Is the 3.55 a drastic difference from 3.31 or is it not thaaaaat much of a difference?
Old 07-17-2013, 06:48 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Stock 2.73.

I got 3.55's and love them. You will too! Gas MPG didn't suffer too bad either.
United States Air Force
Bonnie12V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie12V6 View Post

I got 3.55's and love them. You will too! Gas MPG didn't suffer too bad either.
I'm getting 26 to 27 mpg highway with my 3:73 gears. You will love anything over your 2:73 gas gears. They suck. You will love 3:55 gears. You will love 3:73 gears even more. 3:73 gears all the way. Maybe you will get 1 more mpg on 3:55 over 3:73 gears.

I must say it is interesting that people buy a 300 plus HP car, want to spend additional funds making the car faster as well as increasing the HP and torque yet concerned about the fuel milage. Why buy a mustang , mod it and be concerned about the fuel millage? It seems to me that if one wants a car to get over 30 mpg then don't mod your mustang or just buy a less powerful vehicle.

What kind of fuel millage are you guys looking to get?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #24
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Just because I didn't want to drive a Prius doesn't mean fuel mileage can't be a consideration.

I wanted something a little exciting for the 25,000 miles I do per year.

I was asking because if there isn't that big of a performance difference between the 3.55 and the 3.31 then why not save a few bucks on gas per year.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #25
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Just because I didn't want to drive a Prius doesn't mean fuel mileage can't be a consideration.

I was asking because if there isn't that big of a performance difference between the 3.55 and the 3.31 then why not save a few bucks on gas per year.
Good point. If the driving pattern is more highway then stop/go city driving, then the 3:31 is a better choice for MPG. This is why my Mustang has a 3:31 rear gear setup; I drive 3 trips a week from Orlando to Tampa. The 3:55 would reduce my mileage enough to be a considerable factor.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm getting 26 to 27 mpg highway with my 3:73 gears. You will love anything over your 2:73 gas gears. They suck. You will love 3:55 gears. You will love 3:73 gears even more. 3:73 gears all the way. Maybe you will get 1 more mpg on 3:55 over 3:73 gears.

I must say it is interesting that people buy a 300 plus HP car, want to spend additional funds making the car faster as well as increasing the HP and torque yet concerned about the fuel milage. Why buy a mustang , mod it and be concerned about the fuel millage? It seems to me that if one wants a car to get over 30 mpg then don't mod your mustang or just buy a less powerful vehicle.

What kind of fuel millage are you guys looking to get?
Thanks. I am looking forward to the improved performance. Especially in town. Downshifting to go up a small grade at 45mph makes no sense. These cars get out of their most efficient power-band in an effort to get to 6th gear as soon as possible.

Faster is relative. It doesn't matter how "fast" a car is. 99% of the time, I am doing the speed limit and going to or coming from work. It makes no sense to me to make a car "faster" to the point that it is wasteful for the cars purpose. When my car is no longer being used for commuting, all bets are off and I will care less for MPG. Until then, I choose to care about maximizing a balance of performance and fuel consumption. BTW, fuel economy is a performance metric in this case. And if you're street, drag or course racing, MPG is a NON-ISSUE anyhow. I am doing none of those today. I don't recall ever mentioning wanting to get 30MPG.

But hey, if you want to modify your car to achieve insane performance with no regard to cost of ownership that's your call. That probably confuses me as much as my caring about efficiency confuses some of you. The cool thing about cars like the Mustang...you can do a lot of crap to them simply because YOU CAN.

On a side note, the MPG ratings are done at average speeds below 50MPH with a limited "high speed" of 80. Seeing as how my commute is closer to the "high speed" category most of the time, 31MPG is a pipe dream. Detailed Test Information
Old 07-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #27
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I see no reason why a person cannot have a mixture of both performance and MPG as a goal.

I'll agree that if maxed out performance is a persons goal, then MPG should not be their number one concern.

For me, I'm into making a bit more "fun" out of the V6, but I also want to do it with a consideration of MPG. I can easily sell my V6 and buy a GT, but it won't net me the MPG and fun that the V6 gives me now. I've always been a fan of V6's, having owned a Buick Grand National for many years; had plenty of power, beat quite a few of the V8's out there, and good mileage too.

After all, the 5.0 gets decent MPG if a driver keeps from planting their right foot on the drive by wire pedal.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #28
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I see no reason why a person cannot have a mixture of both performance and MPG as a goal.

I'll agree that if maxed out performance is a persons goal, then MPG should not be their number one concern.

For me, I'm into making a bit more "fun" out of the V6, but I also want to do it with a consideration of MPG. I can easily sell my V6 and buy a GT, but it won't net me the MPG and fun that the V6 gives me now. I've always been a fan of V6's, having owned a Buick Grand National for many years; had plenty of power, beat quite a few of the V8's out there, and good mileage too.

After all, the 5.0 gets decent MPG if a driver keeps from planting their right foot on the drive by wire pedal.
+1
Old 07-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post

That's what I thought of too in the 3.73/3.55/3.31 debate (in my head). I don't drive 25K (well, 20-22) and that adds up very quickly.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

Quote:
... I've always been a fan of V6's, having owned a Buick Grand National for many years; had plenty of power, beat quite a few of the V8's out there, and good mileage too.
Only a few V-8's?
2015 Buick Grand National and GNX: 25 Cars Worth Waiting For 2014–2017 – Future Cars – Car and Driver
Old 07-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

So then the real question is, what mpg are you looking for with your modded mustang? In my opinion if you get 26 mpg with 3:73 gears and get 28 mpg with 3:31 gears that only 2 miles per gallon more with having 3:73 gears. That's chump difference in milage all to get 2 more miles a gallon. Even based on 25,000k year miles, the difference in fuel cost is like $ 240 to 250 year. The fun factor in having 3:73 gears is worth way more than that. This is assuming you don't have 3:55 gears which you might only get 27 mpg so the savings is even less. If fuel mpg is important along with having performance then just leave the 2:73 gears on.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #31

^^^^^^^exactly!!! why mod if you're worried about gas mileage?
Mods: Side and Rear Louvers, Magnaflow Competition Catback, Boss 302 Strut Bar, AE Aluminum DS, Airaid CAI, Dyno Tuned with Diablosport Trinity 87R Custom Tune, 285 RWHP and 290 RWTQ, BOSS 302S 19x9 Wheels with 255/40/19 Bridgestone Potenza's, RTR Spoiler, FRPP Lowering Springs (1.5" drop), GT500 Strut Mounts, FRPP Adjustable PanHard Bar, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP 3:73's FRPP x-pipe
Harmon2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #32
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Because we can...you can have both. A few years back, vehicles were nowhere near the performance these Mustangs are getting, and at the mileage per gallon we see today. Running a 13 second quarter mile car in the 70's and 80's usually netted you a 13 MPG average. Today a 12 second street vehicle such as the GT gets in the 20's for MPG.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Because we can...you can have both. A few years back, vehicles were nowhere near the performance these Mustangs are getting, and at the mileage per gallon we see today. Running a 13 second quarter mile car in the 70's and 80's usually netted you a 13 MPG average. Today a 12 second street vehicle such as the GT gets in the 20's for MPG.
True, but really one is splitting hairs when talking 3:31, 3:55 or 3:73 gears. The fuel mpg is very small amount difference but the thrill factor is a big difference when accelerating between 3:73 to 2:73 or 3:31
Old 07-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks. I am looking forward to the improved performance. Especially in town. Downshifting to go up a small grade at 45mph makes no sense. These cars get out of their most efficient power-band in an effort to get to 6th gear as soon as possible.

[/URL]
Mine is an Automatic with 3:31. I drive up 4500 feet every Saturday night. I use grade assist going up and coming down. In fact sometimes around town if I'm stop and go. You can switch it on the fly and it works great!
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So then the real question is, what mpg are you looking for with your modded mustang? In my opinion if you get 26 mpg with 3:73 gears and get 28 mpg with 3:31 gears that only 2 miles per gallon more with having 3:73 gears. That's chump difference in milage all to get 2 more miles a gallon. Even based on 25,000k year miles, the difference in fuel cost is like $ 240 to 250 year. The fun factor in having 3:73 gears is worth way more than that. This is assuming you don't have 3:55 gears which you might only get 27 mpg so the savings is even less. If fuel mpg is important along with having performance then just leave the 2:73 gears on.
Quote:
Quote:
True, but really one is splitting hairs when talking 3:31, 3:55 or 3:73 gears. The fuel mpg is very small amount difference but the thrill factor is a big difference when accelerating between 3:73 to 2:73 or 3:31
The thing here is, you're placing more value on "thrill/fun factor" than I am. $250 a year is a couple of nice evenings with my family out at dinner. And I would prefer that over a little less time from one end of a race to another.
Why didn't you put 4.10's on? Those would have pulled A LOT harder than the 3.73's.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang