Squeaking sound. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Squeaking sound.

Hey guys. I'm trying to hunt down a squeak I've had on my 12 v6 ever since I got it. At first we thought it was my brake bads so I had a tech apparently scuff em up for me. That helped for about 3 days. the sound was very faint then. But it came back. Just recently I replaced the brakes completely in the front. We haven't touched the rotors yet. I'm not sure what else it could be. The sound does go away when I start braking. But the rest of the time it just squeaks constantly. Its also semi high pitched. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Is it front or back?, could be rotors or the caliper mount part could be bent or one of your axle shafts could be bent
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_stang View Post
Is it front or back?, could be rotors or the caliper mount part could be bent or one of your axle shafts could be bent
It sounds like its coming from the front. I think only the drivers side. Most people that ride with me can't really hear it, but if I let them drive they tell me how loud it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
If you can get it off of the ground you can spin the front tires and listen for anything resonating.

You may have pad hanging up and not disengaging the rotor fully. When you apply pressure, it goes away.

Did you put the "stop squeak" stuff on the pads when you installed them? It's usually installed between the pad and piston. If there are shims or a backing, between that and the pad. It can help cut down on that kind of stuff. (If that's what it is)

I have not done my cars brakes yet...so I cannot explain it with that level of detail. However, I have used the above on a handful of other vehicles.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I am gonna take a guess that it's the front lower control arms... there is a TSB on it "GRUNT/CREAK/CHIRP/SQUEAK NOISE FROM THE FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM OVER BUMPS"
crazychink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post
If you can get it off of the ground you can spin the front tires and listen for anything resonating.

You may have pad hanging up and not disengaging the rotor fully. When you apply pressure, it goes away.

Did you put the "stop squeak" stuff on the pads when you installed them? It's usually installed between the pad and piston. If there are shims or a backing, between that and the pad. It can help cut down on that kind of stuff. (If that's what it is)

I have not done my cars brakes yet...so I cannot explain it with that level of detail. However, I have used the above on a handful of other vehicles.
I actually did put it on a lift and spin the tire, but it didn't replicate the sound. The tech that put the new pads on did put something on them to hopefully prevent squeaking it just still does. He thinks the dust cover behind the rotor may be touching causing it but that doesn't seem to be touching.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychink View Post
I am gonna take a guess that it's the front lower control arms... there is a TSB on it "GRUNT/CREAK/CHIRP/SQUEAK NOISE FROM THE FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM OVER BUMPS"
just realized this was for a '12 but I am having the same problem on my '06 I did find the TSB on it. not sure if it would be the same for '12 but here is the link.

http://www.stangpit.com/wp-content/i...b/09-24-16.pdf
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

BeachMonkey100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychink View Post
I do hear a groan over speed bumps and I'm sure the control arm is what that noise is.

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMonkey100 View Post

I am having the same issue on the RF brake, so I decided to dig into the web and see what I could pull up. here is the TSB in a linked .pdf format for the OP and anyone else!

http://www.stangpit.com/wp-content/i...b/09-24-16.pdf
Would that apply to the 2010 and newer stangs? It only said up to 2010. I do appreciate the info though! Just getting tired of this sound haha.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit View Post

I do hear a groan over speed bumps and I'm sure the control arm is what that noise is.

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

Would that apply to the 2010 and newer stangs? It only said up to 2010. I do appreciate the info though! Just getting tired of this sound haha.
I'm not really sure, it might but again not 100% sure. I'm tired of mine too lol.
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

BeachMonkey100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMonkey100 View Post

I'm not really sure, it might but again not 100% sure. I'm tired of mine too lol.
Well hopefully we get em fixed!
Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit View Post

Here is the tsb for 2011-2013
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TSB LCA 24-08-12.pdf (13.9 KB, 149 views)
crazychink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Figured I'd say I found the problem. Turns out my axle is bent or the axle shaft. Whatever it is. I'm not really completely sure what to call it. But when the wheel rotates it wobbles and causes contact with the brake pad.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Sounds like money.

I used grease on every bushing and I still have this whine/groan/ rubbing noise when I turn. I figure the best thing to do is replace my front and upper and lower control arms. If that doesn't do it try the tie road and bushings.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang