Rear axle oil splattered on bumper after high speed driving help !! :( - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2013, 03:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Rear axle oil splattered on bumper after high speed driving help !! :(

Hi guys i hav a 2010 mustang 4.0 V6. About a month ago i got a ford svt 8.8 rear axle full assembly from american muscle installed on my car along with a aluminum driveshaft. The car feels great no problems as far as i can feel except that everytime i get into the high speed hard acceleration on the high way ( 95mph or over) i start to smell rear axle oil inside the car. Also after this there is slight oil splatter almost all the way up the rear bumper. It is starting to worry me . Please help !
crashkid500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Check welds on axle tubes and check fluid level. Cover made have a bad seal, impossible to tell without detailed pictures...

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Sounds like an overfill, and the oil is coming out of the vent valve. Stock axle covers have the vent valve at the top of the axle. Check this for oil wetness to see if this is the source of the oil. It is supposed to allow the axle housing to vent.

If you have the Ford racing rear differential cover, it will have the valve vent at the top of this cover. If you have the stock cover (no fins, no fill/drain plug in cover), then this valve is at the top of the housing/axle tube.

When I drained and filled my rear axle, I replaced the cover with a Ford Racing cover that had cooling fins and the drain/fill plug installed on the cover, plus a vent valve. The cooling fins are overkill for me, as I do not track the car, nor drive 95 MPH on public streets. I just wanted an easier way to drain and fill the rear end at 30K intervals without having to remove the cover each time.

The kit came with 2 quarts (4 pints) of Royal Purple, and the small bottle of Ford friction modifyer. The owners manual calls for 5 and a half pints. I called the vendor and questioned why they send out only 4 pints (2 quarts); they said 4 pints is enough, as it places the oil at the top of the fill plug.
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Ya check the vent valve too. It will be on the top of the passenger side axle tube if I remember correct. Gear fluid is nasty. Yuck. Clean it really well with soap and water.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashkid500 View Post
Hi guys i hav a 2010 mustang 4.0 V6. About a month ago i got a ford svt 8.8 rear axle full assembly from american muscle installed on my car along with a aluminum driveshaft. The car feels great no problems as far as i can feel except that everytime i get into the high speed hard acceleration on the high way ( 95mph or over) i start to smell rear axle oil inside the car. Also after this there is slight oil splatter almost all the way up the rear bumper. It is starting to worry me . Please help !
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
Ya check the vent valve too. It will be on the top of the passenger side axle tube if I remember correct. Gear fluid is nasty. Yuck. Clean it really well with soap and water.
^ This is correct. I agree with what these guys are saying, if you're not having any issues or vibrations than the axles and driveshaft are most likely installed & working correctly. It sounds like its just an overfill and is venting through the valve, all under the bottom of the car! That stuff is definitely nasty like PWRBY said so hop under there and clean that stuff off as well.

If you're still having issues, taking it to Ford to be checked out may not be a bad idea! I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Its not enough lube. Our rear ends hold around 2 and 1/3rd quarts with the 4 oz bottle of friction modifier. Just saying.............
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
Its not enough lube. Our rear ends hold around 2 and 1/3rd quarts with the 4 oz bottle of friction modifier. Just saying.............
I was wondering the EXACT same thing...
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ive changed my rear end lube several time and it doesn't start coming out of the fill hole until about 1/3rd of the third quart is added .
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

2 quarts might fill the rear end with an aftermarket cover, but not with the factory cover.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
2 quarts might fill the rear end with an aftermarket cover, but not with the factory cover.
This is correct, and what I was trying to get accross when/if you have one of the Ford racing differential covers installed. Late Model Restoration is who I talked to when I bought the cover and their Royal Purple fluid change kit. I questioned them on the amount, as they only sent 2 quarts plus the modifier. They said two quarts was the correct fill with the cover I bought. I've done two rear differential fluid changes now, with no issues, and no fluid "blow out".

So, did the original OP install a rear end with an aftermarket cover???
Old 07-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the good info an quick replys guys

So u guys think its an overfill ? I had the machanic who installed it look at it a week ago look at it an he said it was fine an put a little more oil in. Btw i do indeed have the ford racing cover with the cooling fins and the vent is ontop . So if i just leave it like this will it keep leaking out until its at the right amount ?
Old 07-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin

You don't want to dump axle oil on the back of the vehicle and on the road. I'd first find the source of the leak, and then go from there. If it's the relief valve, then at the speeds you admit to be driving, it may have too much oil. As I mentioned before, I bought my Ford racing finned cover and rear differencial oil fill "kit" from Late Model Restoration. I emailed their tech support group, as the kit comes with two quarts of Royal Purple (4 pints), ond one 5 oz bottle of Ford friction modifier. They informed me that the two quarts are more than enough. Even though Royal Purple comes with friction modifier in it, they recommend adding the 5 extra ounces.
They said this was all based on their testing and race vehicle experience. From your spurts of 95 plus MPH runs on the highway, I'd say you fall into this catagory.

If it were me, I'd drain the fluid, and add just two quarts with 5 ounces of Ford friction modifier
Old 07-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks bucko i will drain it an fill it again as u said. Thanks for ur help i will let u kno if it works
Old 07-19-2013, 05:18 AM   #14
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashkid500 View Post
Ok thanks bucko i will drain it an fill it again as u said. Thanks for ur help i will let u kno if it works
While your under the back side, check for the source of the leak first, before you drain. I suspect the oil is coming out of the top axle vent. This needs to be removed, a bolt inslalled in it's place, and then the Ford TSB recommended solution to this problem as mentioned here:

There is a TSB 10-3-7 for an extended diff vent p/n AR3Z-4A058-B that was used on I believe 05-10 Mustangs and is used on other year Mustangs due to diff fluid venting under extreme (read track) conditions. It provides additional expansion capacity along with a functional vent if the fluid expands beyond the volume provided by the "turkey baster". Proper fill level of diff fluid is also important. It's not level with the fill plug but about a 1/2 inch lower on 8.8 diffs.

Here is what I think is happening for your condidtion:

The ring gear is partially submerged in gear oil and as it rotates it slings gear oil inside the differential housing. The faster the ring gear spins, the more gear oil it slings and the more the oil is atomized. As the axle breathes, some of the small atomized oil droplets can pass through the vent. The turkey baster provides a location where the flow speed of vented oil droplets will slow down and coalesce on the walls of the baster bulb. After they coalesce into larger droplets, they drain back into the axle.

If the speed of the vented air is higher, oil droplets are carried out the axle vent = oily, drippy rear axle, suspension and back bumper cover.

If you go with the fix/TSP, mount it on the differential cover; your Ford Racing finned cover has a vent at its top thats removed and replaced with this. Then be sure the vent that's on the axle is removed and replaced by a bolt. I suspect this vent is still there and the source of the leak.

Here's a picture of the TSB's recommended fix vent. In the left side picture, it's mounted on the axle; you'll want a bolt here, as this is what I suspect is the source of your leak, and mounting the TSB replacement vent here can melt by the close exhaust. The right side picture shows this vent on the Ford Racing finned cover:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vent baster.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	119240   Click image for larger version

Name:	vent on cover.jpg
Views:	1092
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	119241  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang