Bolt on upgrades - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustang240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 199
Bolt on upgrades

What bolt on upgrades would I need to beat a BMW 335i? I currently have the borla axle back, but other than that my v6 is stock.
Thanks!
Mustang240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang240 View Post
What bolt on upgrades would I need to beat a BMW 335i? I currently have the borla axle back, but other than that my v6 is stock.
Thanks!
Get 373 gears and a tuner and call it a day bro
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustang240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Get 373 gears and a tuner and call it a day bro
Hahaha thanks bro!
Mustang240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Specs on the 335i - 3.0-liter dual overhead cam (DOHC), 24-valve inline turbocharged 300-horsepower 6-cylinder engine with TwinPower Turbo technology, Valvetronic, and Double-VANOS steplessly variable valve timing.

I'd say you'll need a tuner for sure. I would not expect to see a V6 Mustang beat it's top end, unless you remove the speed limter on the Mustang, plus limit the distance at speed....the BMW is a Autoban type car; not nessesarily neck snapping speed (baring the M series), but it gets up there and climbs well beyond the max capability of the v6 Mustang in its stock form. The Mustang V6 with a tune will beat it in acceleration, but top end, that's a different story; the BMW will have our V6.

But thats why it's about 25K more in price.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Make sure the 335 is stock. Did intake, full exhaust and tune on a buddy's and it was mean. Walked a 6.0 gto with two passengers in the bmw. Also beat a stock pulley 03 cobra.
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustang240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 199
Noob question, what exactly does a tuner do? I read it increases horsepower by 30 somehow. If I install it would it reduce my engine life or have a negative effect?
Mustang240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Albuquerque
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 484
And hope it ain't chipped either...then you're up against a 400+ HP car.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
Road Trip!
 
dobypaw3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Region: New York
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang240 View Post
Noob question, what exactly does a tuner do? I read it increases horsepower by 30 somehow. If I install it would it reduce my engine life or have a negative effect?
That 30hp would be with a CAI and tune, but 30hp might be pushing it. A CAI and Tuner will gain more like 25hp. The tuner changes your cars parameters. Shift points if you own an auto, better throttle response, advances your timing. Deletes the speed limiter. You can have a tuner do a lot of different things it all depends on your mods and driving style.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post
And hope it ain't chipped either...then you're up against a 400+ HP car.
I read that in stock form, The BMW 335i is rated as 300 HP...

"The 335i has a new 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder with a single twin-scroll turbocharger, high-precision fuel injection, and an all-aluminum crankcase, pushing the car to 60 mph in just 5.3 seconds. The motor produces 300 horsepower at 5800 rpm. Peak toque is 300 pound-feet, available from a mere 1,200 rpm all the way up to 5,000 rpm."
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastV6 View Post
That 30hp would be with a CAI and tune, but 30hp might be pushing it. A CAI and Tuner will gain more like 25hp. The tuner changes your cars parameters. Shift points if you own an auto, better throttle response, advances your timing. Deletes the speed limiter. You can have a tuner do a lot of different things it all depends on your mods and driving style.
And those numbers using a tuner to tweak the PCM will require at least 91 octane fuel, so account for that as well.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Albuquerque
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 484
A JB4 chip unleashes an animal on that tt six.

I rode in one when test driving a 2011 335i. .I almost bought the car right then and there...
But BMWs have small costly gremlins.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
ArtU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang240 View Post
What bolt on upgrades would I need to beat a BMW 335i? I currently have the borla axle back, but other than that my v6 is stock.
Thanks!
Here is a question I didn't see others ask; How and where to beat the BMW?

1) Open Road Race Track (think SCCA type racing, left & right turns, long straight aways, snake curves, hairpin non-banked curves,etc)
2) Oval race track (think Nascar oval left turn only pon high banks)
3) 1/4 Mile Drag Race
4) Stop light to stop light

Each one of these will require different mods to your 'Stang

Art , Road Racers Love Curves
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Albuquerque
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Here is a question I didn't see others ask; How and where to beat the BMW?

1) Open Road Race Track (think SCCA type racing, left & right turns, long straight aways, snake curves, hairpin non-banked curves,etc)
2) Oval race track (think Nascar oval left turn only pon high banks)
3) 1/4 Mile Drag Race
4) Stop light to stop light

Each one of these will require different mods to your 'Stang

Art , Road Racers Love Curves
Good points Art. I am focusing on option 1 for my build-up. Not to race a 335, but to have a car that corners better than it sounds.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
ArtU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post
Good points Art. I am focusing on option 1 for my build-up. Not to race a 335, but to have a car that corners better than it sounds.
What parts are you looking at for #1?

I put in the Boss 302 Strut tower bar as the simple first mod I could put in for corner handling. I noticed that the strut bolts from the factory moved tighter at 15-17 ft pounds even when the factory specs are 25ft-pounds.

My first guess would be to look at other Boss suspension items, as that Boss back in the day and today was for T/A and SCCA type high performance track driving. (Notice I left the word race out

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustang240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post

Here is a question I didn't see others ask; How and where to beat the BMW?

1) Open Road Race Track (think SCCA type racing, left & right turns, long straight aways, snake curves, hairpin non-banked curves,etc)
2) Oval race track (think Nascar oval left turn only pon high banks)
3) 1/4 Mile Drag Race
4) Stop light to stop light

Each one of these will require different mods to your 'Stang

Art , Road Racers Love Curves
It's a 2.5 km race in a straight line. (Closed airport runway)

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Oops it's a 1.5km race sorry for typo
Mustang240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Albuquerque
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 484
That's gonna be a tough one. The autobahn car is going to have a taller ratio for the long run. Those bimmers are not slow once they get going
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
ArtU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang240 View Post
It's a 2.5 km race in a straight line. (Closed airport runway)

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Oops it's a 1.5km race sorry for typo
Well you will need a smaller number long gear not bigger number taller I would imagine. Turbo / or Supercharger would be a ticket.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #18
Road Trip!
 
dobypaw3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Region: New York
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post

Well you will need a smaller number long gear not bigger number taller I would imagine. Turbo / or Supercharger would be a ticket.
Turbo/Supercharger would be a ticket...LOL you got that right Johnny Law will be happy to right a ticket and take the car!!!
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustang240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 199
Woah a supercharger to beat a bimmer?? Omg what a bummer :p

What if I make it a 1\4 mile race? I want the cheapest method possible to beat him. Lol
Instead of buying a supercharger I'd rather upgrade to a gt and walk all over the bimmer.
Mustang240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:43 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ish416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Winchester
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang240 View Post
It's a 2.5 km race in a straight line. (Closed airport runway)

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Oops it's a 1.5km race sorry for typo
If you are racing a 335i, over a 1.5KM (.93 Mile) distance you will likely lose.

The 335i's are under rated from the factory. I've seen several stock 6spd 335i's put down 285+rwhp and 300+lb ft rwtq. That would roughly equate to something around 330 hp and 345lb ft at the crank. If that car has any mods you have no chance without forced induction or nitrous..

The 335i's are gaining an easy 40rwhp/60rwtq from just a tune. Throw on a down pipe and a methenol setup and they are hitting 400whp easily.

Which brings up the OPs car ...

It only has a Borla axle back exhaust. First, you will need a tuner to remove the speed limiter, that is if you are going to be racing that distance. Also, you need to make sure that you have capable tires. They need to be rated V, Z (ZR), W or Y. You wouldn't want to have a tire blow out at those speeds. The base model Mustang comes with tires that are only certified to 118 or 130 mph (hence the low speed limiter).

Regardless of the transmission and rear end you should be hitting speeds of around 135 - 140 mph in a stock car over that 1.5KM (.93 Mile) distance. With a tune and intake, add 4 or 5 mph.

OP, your best bet would be to shorten the race to a 1/4 mile. Even then, you could get pulled on if he is a decent driver or has the auto and sticks the launch. It should be close, half a car length either way. Anything past 100 mph and that 335i will start pulling on you as the BMW's .28 drag coefficient comes into play against the Mustangs .35cd.
__________________
99 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 M6 - 6.676 @ 103 in 1/8, 10.512 @ 130.2 on street tires, H/C/I
93 Eagle Talon TSI AWD 5spd - Built 6 Bolt, 16G Evo3, HKS 272 Cams - under construction
Ish416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:14 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 73
Heh funny this thread came up. My friend from work has a 335i. We've only raced once but it was extremely close. We were literally neck and neck up until about 70 when we let off. My car was stock and so was his. Mine manual, his auto. I was actually really surprised.
Dhawk1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustang240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhawk1313 View Post
Heh funny this thread came up. My friend from work has a 335i. We've only raced once but it was extremely close. We were literally neck and neck up until about 70 when we let off. My car was stock and so was his. Mine manual, his auto. I was actually really surprised.
Ya lol I believe you. I took an 05 s4 a few days ago, it was neck to neck the whole way but I'd have to say I won by like 4 inches. That's why I'm shocked everyone is telling me I can't beat the 335i.
Mustang240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ish416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Winchester
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang240 View Post
Ya lol I believe you. I took an 05 s4 a few days ago, it was neck to neck the whole way but I'd have to say I won by like 4 inches. That's why I'm shocked everyone is telling me I can't beat the 335i.
Check out Car and Driver's performance stats on the 335i vs the V6 Mustang with the track pack.

2013 V6 Mustang w\track pack - 0-60 = 5.2, 0-100 = 13.4, 1/4 - 13.9 @ 102 Mph
2011 335i sedan 6spd manual - 0-60 = 4.8, 0-100 = 11.7, 1/4 - 13.6 @ 106 Mph

The older twin turbo 335i's are actually a little quicker to 60 than the newer single turbos.

So based on those numbers, you would lose.

However, both of these cars had the same driver. So, if the BMW driver messes up and you nail everything, you could win, as the stats for 0-60 and 1/4 are close enough that a good driver against an average driver would likely be a win for the good driver.

Either way, it's going to be a close race.

Links to the car and driver data.

2011 335i - http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...335i-sedan.pdf

2013 Mustang V6 - http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...ium-manual.pdf
__________________
99 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 M6 - 6.676 @ 103 in 1/8, 10.512 @ 130.2 on street tires, H/C/I
93 Eagle Talon TSI AWD 5spd - Built 6 Bolt, 16G Evo3, HKS 272 Cams - under construction
Ish416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Raleigh
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 50
Definitly get you a tuner on that and I would probably get a new cold air intake with that as well. those two together would definitly add some power to your ride
ErikMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Albuquerque
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
What parts are you looking at for #1?

I put in the Boss 302 Strut tower bar as the simple first mod I could put in for corner handling. I noticed that the strut bolts from the factory moved tighter at 15-17 ft pounds even when the factory specs are 25ft-pounds.

My first guess would be to look at other Boss suspension items, as that Boss back in the day and today was for T/A and SCCA type high performance track driving. (Notice I left the word race out

Art
Probably the Eibach suspension package or Ford Racing Handling Pack. Adj. Panhard, Strut Brace, Rear seat delete and brace, UCA and LCA's BEFORE an exhaust.

My goal is a GREAT handling car with some power adders. (Nothing crazy as I commute with it). Ultimately I want to go to one of those performance driving courses and really have a field day with it.
More along the lines of the right side of this...
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



10:10 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.