Water temp - Thermostat & Head Temp - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Water temp - Thermostat & Head Temp

Hi folks, I did several searches on the topic and don't see any info so I figure I will post. The web shows 190 degree thermostat in the 2013 V6. So that closes at 190 and opens fully at about 200 from most folks testing.

Temp gauge in the 2013 V6 premium dash virtual gauge readout says Cylinder Head temp and runs 205-210 most times and gets has high as 218 in my past history of the car. SO this sensor likely is not the same as coolant temperature.

Anyone else look into this? I would like to see if a GT 180 degree thermostat would help this issue. It gets awful hot under that hood an I am in northern Ohio. AZ and FLA must really get hot under there

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, I know it is retentive sometimes to reply to your own posts...but...

I hooked The Android app Torque up to the OBDII and had it log Engine Coolant temperature. It did not have an item listed for Cylinder Head Temp so that must be a Custom Ford PID I would need to the find the numbers for to add to Torque.

Using my eyes from time to time yesterday and today it appears the Cylinder Head temp is about 5-6 Degrees F more then the Coolant. When Coolant is 204.8 the Head is listed on the In-Dash Display as 210. When Head went to 212, the coolant was 207.

So from that I still only have a guess that when I saw the Cyl Head at 218 last August then coolant was at 212, kinda still high for 190 degree thermostat?

Art
Old 07-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
That's totally normal. I know GM cars with 195 thermostats don't even kick the radiator fans on until around 220. There is nothing to fix, it's fine.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
That's totally normal. I know GM cars with 195 thermostats don't even kick the radiator fans on until around 220. There is nothing to fix, it's fine.
Good point, just wanted to make sure on the Fords.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang