Flowmaster force II - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
RobbyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: White hall
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 49
Flowmaster force II

I'm not happy with the force II exhaust sound. It sounds ricer at WOT. Can I change the tips to make it sound better?
RobbyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,264
I don't think changing the tips will help. You might have to replace them if you really don't like them.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyD View Post
I'm not happy with the force II exhaust sound. It sounds ricer at WOT. Can I change the tips to make it sound better?
I had the same issue with my Force II. The tips are rolled up and they do not drain water out. The water would pull inside the tips and then water gets sucked back into the exhaust and would make that ricer, crackle sound. I purchased new tips that were angle cut, so the moisture will drain out. That changed the sound of exhaust.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

I had the same issue with my Force II. The tips are rolled up and they do not drain water out. The water would pull inside the tips and then water gets sucked back into the exhaust and would make that ricer, crackle sound. I purchased new tips that were angle cut, so the moisture will drain out. That changed the sound of exhaust.
They don't have a drain hole? My Roush have a drain hole in each muffler to prevent that from happening.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

They don't have a drain hole? My Roush have a drain hole in each muffler to prevent that from happening.
No sir. My tips didnt come with drain holes so all the water that would spew out would just pool. I called Flowmaster and they basically said oh well. Get different tips.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

No sir. My tips didnt come with drain holes so all the water that would spew out would just pool. I called Flowmaster and they basically said oh well. Get new tips.
I didn't know that. Thats crappy CS. The Roush have a little hole on the bottom of the muffler and sometimes I'll notice a little round wet area about 1" 1/2 under each muffler in the driveway.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

I didn't know that. Thats crappy CS. The Roush have a little hole on the bottom of the muffler and sometimes I'll notice a little round wet area about 1" 1/2 under each muffler in the driveway.
That's good so they drain. Now I also noticed there was no drain hole in the muffles themselves, so I drilled hole underneath. Now the water drains out the mufflers as well which helps big time on the tone .
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
pwrby4d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Arizona
Posts: 1,020
Good to know. I dont get rain here often and my car is garaged too. I was going to change the tips out to see if the tone changed a bit. My friend has the Street series from Magnaflow and at wide open throttle they sound ricey too in his opinion and I wonder if it is just the tip as it has a dual wall as well and looks very similar.

I am going to pull my tips all together and do a comparison video I think.

I love the sound of the Flowmasters other than at wide open throttle. All the mufflers out for the 3.7 sound ricey in my opinion anyway.. It is because it is a 6. Nature of the beast. An H pipe and resonators will help too but nothing is going to change the pulses in the exhaust to make it sound like an 8 especially at WOT.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
Good to know. I dont get rain here often and my car is garaged too. I was going to change the tips out to see if the tone changed a bit. My friend has the Street series from Magnaflow and at wide open throttle they sound ricey too in his opinion and I wonder if it is just the tip as it has a dual wall as well and looks very similar.

I am going to pull my tips all together and do a comparison video I think.

I love the sound of the Flowmasters other than at wide open throttle. All the mufflers out for the 3.7 sound ricey in my opinion anyway.. It is because it is a 6. Nature of the beast. An H pipe and resonators will help too but nothing is going to change the pulses in the exhaust to make it sound like an 8 especially at WOT.
When you take the tips off , you will hear a HUGE difference.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Albuquerque
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 484
Resonators may help out.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post
Resonators may help out.
True that. Big time. I have two glass pack resonators on mine.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
pwrby4d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Arizona
Posts: 1,020
Gonna pop the tips off tomorrow.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
pwrby4d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Arizona
Posts: 1,020
Wow. Huge difference. So much deeper. Loudness is up too. Def here it now. It stops the crackle but adds raspy tones (roush like rasp) at around 3500 RPM. Did adding resonators deflect that rasp? What tips did you go with too? Do you have any video posted of your car so I can hear it? Thanks!
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
RobbyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: White hall
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

I had the same issue with my Force II. The tips are rolled up and they do not drain water out. The water would pull inside the tips and then water gets sucked back into the exhaust and would make that ricer, crackle sound. I purchased new tips that were angle cut, so the moisture will drain out. That changed the sound of exhaust.
What tips did u get? Part number?
RobbyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyD View Post

What tips did u get? Part number?
I'll look it up bro I did buy the new tips from Summit Racing.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Or just drill some holes on current tips
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Albuquerque
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 484
Can you show pics of what You did please?
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post
Can you show pics of what You did please?


Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130721_174516.png
Views:	161
Size:	539.6 KB
ID:	119751



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130721_174624.png
Views:	180
Size:	518.6 KB
ID:	119752

Right side is old rolled tip. Left side new tip
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Albuquerque
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 484
Pulling off the tips altered the sound?
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post
Pulling off the tips altered the sound?
Yep, big time. The new tips aren't pooling water inside them like the old tips were.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Albuquerque
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 484
Ahh. I would not expect tips to affect the sound that much.

Good to know. The exhaust is not firing into the bumper?

I mean, the exhaust outlet is out past the bumper cover right?
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post
Ahh. I would not expect tips to affect the sound that much.

Good to know. The exhaust is not firing into the bumper?

I mean, the exhaust outlet is out past the bumper cover right?
Yes, slightly out past bumper cover.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Oh2freshstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Region: California
Posts: 2,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
Wow. Huge difference. So much deeper. Loudness is up too. Def here it now. It stops the crackle but adds raspy tones (roush like rasp) at around 3500 RPM. Did adding resonators deflect that rasp? What tips did you go with too? Do you have any video posted of your car so I can hear it? Thanks!
Adding resonators to just axlebacks might make it too quiet! I think someone on here (FastFord13 if I'm not mistaken) added resonators to just roush & it was too quiet! Now if u have headers or a mid pipe upgrade then I would DEF reconvened the resonators! I know Kona adde the resonators after the LT headers & x pipe too!
__________________
-2012 Mustang 5.0- Stock (for now)
-2013 Mustang 3.7 (SOLD)- Best 1/8: 9.057 @ 80.67mph
Oh2freshstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post

Adding resonators to just axlebacks might make it too quiet! I think someone on here (FastFord13 if I'm not mistaken) added resonators to just roush & it was too quiet! Now if u have headers or a mid pipe upgrade then I would DEF reconvened the resonators! I know Kona adde the resonators after the LT headers & x pipe too!
Oh yea sir, I did.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Albuquerque
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 484
Cool. I am torn between spending 600 ona kit or having a pair of mufflers welded in for less than half.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post
Cool. I am torn between spending 600 ona kit or having a pair of mufflers welded in for less than half.
Hum, tough choice. I personally really love the tone the Flowmaster exhaust systems make on the mustangs. Either way you go bro, it will sound better than the stock exhaust.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
pwrby4d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Arizona
Posts: 1,020
I agree the flowmaster to my ears is the nicest for the 3.7. I have always liked the tone of them over the magnaflow, roush, FRPP, Pypes etc.. All the systems are pretty good quality and fit well other than the stuff I have gotten from pypes in the past but the build quality is good too imo. Go Flows!
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
I agree the flowmaster to my ears is the nicest for the 3.7. I have always liked the tone of them over the magnaflow, roush, FRPP, Pypes etc.. All the systems are pretty good quality and fit well other than the stuff I have gotten from pypes in the past but the build quality is good too imo. Go Flows!
I feel mustangs have a certain closeness with Flowmaster and Flowmaster exhaust sounds amazing on mustangs. Certainly other exhaust systems will be good too but personally feel the flows sound awesome on the 3.7.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Albuquerque
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 484
Yup. I think I can get close to the sound of the FRPP sports for less later on. Suspension is next.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Oh2freshstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Region: California
Posts: 2,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Oh yea sir, I did.
I just did the same bro & OMG I love my exhaust set up now!
__________________
-2012 Mustang 5.0- Stock (for now)
-2013 Mustang 3.7 (SOLD)- Best 1/8: 9.057 @ 80.67mph
Oh2freshstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post

I just did the same bro & OMG I love my exhaust set up now!
Sweet. What exhaust system did you go with?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Oh2freshstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Region: California
Posts: 2,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Sweet. What exhaust system did you go with?
I have BBK LT headers/x pipe, pypes pype bombs & glasspacks welded into the mid pipe! It's a beautiful sound! I wanna do an exhaust video soon!
__________________
-2012 Mustang 5.0- Stock (for now)
-2013 Mustang 3.7 (SOLD)- Best 1/8: 9.057 @ 80.67mph
Oh2freshstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post

I have BBK LT headers/x pipe, pypes pype bombs & glasspacks welded into the mid pipe! It's a beautiful sound! I wanna do an exhaust video soon!
Oh yes. I bet its sweet stuff. I'm glad I got the glasspacks welded on.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Oh2freshstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Region: California
Posts: 2,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Oh yes. I bet its sweet stuff. I'm glad I got the glasspacks welded on.
Yes they pair up beautifully with LT headers IMO. They clean up the rasp, & tame the loudness & clear up most of the drone I love them!
__________________
-2012 Mustang 5.0- Stock (for now)
-2013 Mustang 3.7 (SOLD)- Best 1/8: 9.057 @ 80.67mph
Oh2freshstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #35
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
Good to know. I dont get rain here often and my car is garaged too. I was going to change the tips out to see if the tone changed a bit. My friend has the Street series from Magnaflow and at wide open throttle they sound ricey too in his opinion and I wonder if it is just the tip as it has a dual wall as well and looks very similar.

I am going to pull my tips all together and do a comparison video I think.

I love the sound of the Flowmasters other than at wide open throttle. All the mufflers out for the 3.7 sound ricey in my opinion anyway.. It is because it is a 6. Nature of the beast. An H pipe and resonators will help too but nothing is going to change the pulses in the exhaust to make it sound like an 8 especially at WOT.
It's not the rain getting water into your mufflers, it's built up condensation; warm exhaust that cools overnight that creates the moisture/water in the exhaust.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



05:55 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.