2014 Performance Pack? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
2014 Performance Pack?

Hey everyone!

I am very seriously considering trading in my '09 V6 on a new 3.7.
My question is: Is the performance pack worth the extra money?
The cost of the package is $3K in Canada. I don't know how that compares to U.S. pricing.

Would I be better off getting the premium edition and have Ford install a 3.31 gear? The car will be a daily driver, but I still want the fun factor.

Thanks for your input!
Stratstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
It was worth it for me, although it is only a $2000 dollar option for US buyers.
Mine is also a Daily driver, but I take it up and play in the mountains occasionally. It is a lot more than just gears, and you will have a bunch of people come on and tell you to build it yourself if you want it.
BTW you will also need a set of winter tires, my Pirellis really do suck below 5c. I can get away with all seasons were I am at and got a set of take off wheels and tires from Roush.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratstang View Post
Hey everyone!

I am very seriously considering trading in my '09 V6 on a new 3.7.
My question is: Is the performance pack worth the extra money?
The cost of the package is $3K in Canada. I don't know how that compares to U.S. pricing.

Would I be better off getting the premium edition and have Ford install a 3.31 gear? The car will be a daily driver, but I still want the fun factor.

Thanks for your input!
That's what I contemplated also when I was buying. I decided to get the base with the front skirt recessed fog lights. I was planning on doing 3.73, tuner, exhaust, wheels/tires etc so I invested the 3k into that instead. Really glad I did. BTW where in Canada r u from? Montreal here.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If u don't plan on upgrading suspension & gears in the future I think it's worth it! Also if u want new wheels the PP wheels will be much easier to sell & use that money toward new wheels!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think suspension upgrades are worth that much. If I wanted 3.31 there is a place that will do gear/install for 500 called mustang direct which I think is the best upgrade in the pp anyway and that's where I'll be going shortly for my 3.73s. Strut tower brace/ springs are easily and a lot less $ to upgrade later. Just my 2cents.

PP includes: Strut-tower brace
Upsized front sway bar and SVT rear sway bar
Unique front springs
Unique front and rear brake calipers
19"x8.5" Foundry Black painted machined-aluminum wheels
255/40R19 Summer only tires
Unique stability control calibration
Gloss black side mirrors
3.31 limited-slip rear-axle

Not that an impressive list when you consider the amount of $$$$.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks everyone! Seems like a big outlay for the list of upgrades. I am concerned about warranty issues if I upgrade later. Mmm...what to do.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

That's what I contemplated also when I was buying. I decided to get the base with the front skirt recessed fog lights. I was planning on doing 3.73, tuner, exhaust, wheels/tires etc so I invested the 3k into that instead. Really glad I did. BTW where in Canada r u from? Montreal here.
I am in Oshawa, On. About 45 minutes east of Toronto. Thanks for the input!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks everyone! Seems like a big outlay for the list of upgrades. I am concerned about warranty issues if I upgrade later. Mmm...what to do.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

I am in Oshawa, On. About 45 minutes east of Toronto. Thanks for the input!
That's what's great about our cars!!! So many options!!!!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's what's great about our cars!!! So many options!!!!
Yeah, no shortage of choices! Too many options is much better than too few.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah, no shortage of choices! Too many options is much better than too few.
+11111111
Old 07-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
You want it ??? Get it !!!

Your getting a new Mustang and a few grand more to have it your way is well worth it. If you decide to do all of the modifications that are included in the PP it will not only cost you more but your added performance items won't be covered by the factory warranty at all.

I have learned over the years that if you do not get exactly what you want when ordering your now car , You won't be completely happy with it.

It's not like you fell in love with a used car or a car sitting on the dealers lot.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't think suspension upgrades are worth that much. If I wanted 3.31 there is a place that will do gear/install for 500 called mustang direct which I think is the best upgrade in the pp anyway and that's where I'll be going shortly for my 3.73s. Strut tower brace/ springs are easily and a lot less $ to upgrade later. Just my 2cents.

PP includes: Strut-tower brace
Upsized front sway bar and SVT rear sway bar
Unique front springs
Unique front and rear brake calipers
19"x8.5" Foundry Black painted machined-aluminum wheels
255/40R19 Summer only tires
Unique stability control calibration
Gloss black side mirrors
3.31 limited-slip rear-axle

Not that an impressive list when you consider the amount of $$$$.
Just curious what's performance about a bunch of bolt in parts like tires, mirrors and a limited slip? I would rather be able to pick my own PP.
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351stroker

Just curious what's performance about a bunch of bolt in parts like tires, mirrors and a limited slip? I would rather be able to pick my own PP.
Tires help with grip, 3.31 limited slip rear axle helps a lot with off the line acceleration, and you get different suspension. For 2 grand the PP is a steal, the wheels and tires alone are worth about 2k.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Your getting a new Mustang and a few grand more to have it your way is well worth it. If you decide to do all of the modifications that are included in the PP it will not only cost you more but your added performance items won't be covered by the factory warranty at all.

I have learned over the years that if you do not get exactly what you want when ordering your now car , You won't be completely happy with it.

It's not like you fell in love with a used car or a car sitting on the dealers lot.

Ronnie
You are right. If I go to the aftermarket right away, then obviously I settled with an eye to upgrading right off the bat. Plus the factory warranty is important.

Yup, made my decision. Thanks to all!
Old 07-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I got the pp on my 13. It's definitely worth it. Heck you can sell the wheels and tires by themselves for $1500.
D2theJ2theC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

Tires help with grip, 3.31 limited slip rear axle helps a lot with off the line acceleration, and you get different suspension. For 2 grand the PP is a steal, the wheels and tires alone are worth about 2k.
+9999 I wish I would have forked over the extra 2k... it's more expensive to do it yourself...
RocknCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknCali View Post

+9999 I wish I would have forked over the extra 2k... it's more expensive to do it yourself...
Man, I'm on the wrong side of the border when it comes to car mods. The performance pack is $1,000 more in Canada. Geez!! Still getting it though!
Old 07-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351stroker View Post

Exactly! Unique front back calipers, black mirror covers??
Old 07-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

Ronnie
Well its not the way I want it, its they way ford wants you to have it! Its hardly a pp when you include things like mirror covers and unique calipers, unique stability control calibration. If they offered something like an upgraded exhaust, CAI and more aggressive gearing than 3.31, which should have been stock anyway then you could call it a "performance package" maybe more people might have went for it! Sorry for extra 3k (Canada) its hardly worth it.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Man, I'm on the wrong side of the border when it comes to car mods. The performance pack is $1,000 more in Canada. Geez!! Still getting it though!
For real!!! We always pay more! Then we pay even more with taxes on our new babies!
Old 07-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

For real!!! We always pay more! Then we pay even more with taxes on our new babies!
lol the downside to universal healthcare
Old 07-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol, yeah your right!

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Quote:

BTW can you post some pics? I love the look your stang has!!!!
Old 07-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I have the performance package and I love it. Its very fun to drive.
Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #23
Admin

Supporter
Admin

One has to remember, options on a vehicle is where a manufacturer makes the most profit on. The base price of a car is always negotiable, and most folks here bost on how great they did on the price. I was told (and read numerous articles on the web) on how a dealer marks up the options to add to the profit. Most likely, the parts for an option package costs the manufacturer around 10 to maybe 30% of the charge to you. So, 70 to 80% is profit.

So as Ronnie states, if you want it, buy it and negotiate the price a bit.

Or buy a stripped model, and add the options yourself; you won't be financing these options into the vehicle price, saving you some interest, and lowering your monthly payment.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
One has to remember, options on a vehicle is where a manufacturer makes the most profit on. The base price of a car is always negotiable, and most folks here bost on how great they did on the price. I was told (and read numerous articles on the web) on how a dealer marks up the options to add to the profit. Most likely, the parts for an option package costs the manufacturer around 10 to maybe 30% of the charge to you. So, 70 to 80% is profit.

So as Ronnie states, if you want it, buy it and negotiate the price a bit.

Or buy a stripped model, and add the options yourself; you won't be financing these options into the vehicle price, saving you some interest, and lowering your monthly payment.
option pricing is negotiable as well. just look for the invoice price and start from there
Old 07-23-2013, 02:16 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I've got the perf pack. And glad I did. Feels like a different car than the stock set up. Good option if you don't have time to add on bits and pieces. Will need a winter set up if you drive in the snow belt.
jomcgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #26

Hey stratstang,

I live in ajax, i have the performance package. Ford has the employee pricing going on right now. Trust me if you haggle then you can drop the price. The performance package is worth it man honestly id rather get the package and once warranty runs out you can mod it to your liking. But everyone has there own opinion so at the end of the day its what you can afford.
fusion king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion king View Post
Hey stratstang,

I live in ajax, i have the performance package. Ford has the employee pricing going on right now. Trust me if you haggle then you can drop the price. The performance package is worth it man honestly id rather get the package and once warranty runs out you can mod it to your liking. But everyone has there own opinion so at the end of the day its what you can afford.
Hey thanks man! I'm going to Erinwood on Sat. I'll see what I can do deal wise!
Old 07-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #28

Quote:
Hey thanks man! I'm going to Erinwood on Sat. I'll see what I can do deal wise!
Sounds good. I know a sales manager at formula ford in pickering so ill see what i can get from them. Erinwood is pretty good as well.
fusion king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion king View Post

Sounds good. I know a sales manager at formula ford in pickering so ill see what i can get from them. Erinwood is pretty good as well.
I appreciate that, thanks!
Old 07-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
It is worth it. Its a steal. Ive driven one with and without the performance package. I chose the performance package.
Nyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I just purchased my 2014 v6 convertible premium and the dealer told me that I couldn't get the 3.31 or above because I purchased the convertible anyone else experience this? I guess I will have to wait until after the warranty expires in order to upgrade mine.
Shockesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Huh? I don't recall any limitations mentioned on Ford's site about that. Doesn't make sense to me. Convertibles are engineered slightly differently in terms of stiffening etc., but I fail to see why the diff should be affected.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Ugh. Turns out that the delta between my 2009 and a new 2014 decked out how I want it is more than I can accept. Don't want more debt. I could swing it but that's how people got into trouble. So, back to building my '09. Not a bad thing really!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockesh
I just purchased my 2014 v6 convertible premium and the dealer told me that I couldn't get the 3.31 or above because I purchased the convertible anyone else experience this? I guess I will have to wait until after the warranty expires in order to upgrade mine.
Pretty sure that's a load of horse crap. The 3.31 rear axle is available as a stand-alone option. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't offer it for the vert.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

Pretty sure that's a load of horse crap. The 3.31 rear axle is available as a stand-alone option. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't offer it for the vert.
that's just dealer bull**** to try and get you to buy a model they have on the lot so they can make more money

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang