75-90 gear oil? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
My car goes in to ford this morning for a simple oil change but I plan to replace the stock dual clutch tranny fluid in my manual with Lucas gear oil, but I'm having a hard time finding the correct viscosity. Would it be 75-90? Any quick response is appreciated.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
My car goes in to ford this morning for a simple oil change but I plan to replace the stock dual clutch tranny fluid in my manual with Lucas gear oil, but I'm having a hard time finding the correct viscosity. Would it be 75-90? Any quick response is appreciated.
I bought the 75-140 gear oil when gear swap. I was told don't use 75-90. You can use it but the higher is better.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Was that for the diff or your tranny? I wanna make sure I'm getting the right viscosity for my transmission. BTW thx for the quick response!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Was that for the diff or your tranny? I wanna make sure I'm getting the right viscosity for my transmission.
Not transmission boss. That was gear oil
Sorry . I should of read better. Lol
Old 07-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Not transmission boss. That was gear oil
Sorry . I should of read better. Lol
NP, thx anyway bro.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I just Googled this for you, and the threads I read through mention no "viscosity" rating. It all referes to "multi clutch" type fluid; that leads me to think it's not the convential gear oil type that we were brought up on. Amsoil, Royal Purple, and the Ford stuff all say "dual clutch manual transmission" and did not make any mention to viscosity.

Here's a link to a site that sells the Royal Purple stuff; again no mention of viscosity rating:

Royal Purple Synchromax Mustang Manual Transmission Fluid 1512 - Free Shipping!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thx for checking bucko, the dual clutch is what's in there now. From my experience with it it seems to break down after intense heat and that's why I would like to change it. Ford started to put this in on 13+ models to increase smoother shifting in cold weather but as it does provide better shifting it doesn't stand up to intense heat as well, after about a hour 1/2 of traffic in hot weather it becomes uncomfortable loud until it cools again and its back to normal. Fixed one problem create another, but heat will destroy it in the long run. Thanks again I appreciate it and was hoping you were going to chime in.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

If I had a 2013 and experienced the problem you described, I'd try the Royal Purple. I use RP in my rear differential, in both my 2005 F150 and 2011 Mustang. I went with the 75-90 in the rear differential. I've had great results with it in the rear diff's, but I don't have any experience with their motor oils or transmission fluid.

But from what I have experienced with the rear diff, I'd have no problem trying it in the transmission. Maybe it will cure the heat problem you are seeing with the Ford stuff.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

O.k I'm at the dealer now and I picked up the rp syncromax. I got 3 liters for 59$ taxes in. Thx for your help bucko much appreciated!!!!! I'll give an update shortly.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
These transmissions use fluid that is more similar to automatic transmission fluid than older gear oil. I don't know of anyone that has ran RP or recommended RP for them (let alone which weight or type to use).

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

RP does make and sell a dual clutch manual transmission fluid. I have no experience with this type of fluid. Their rear differential fluid is good; they (makers of RP) say it already has the friction modifiers in it, so the Ford 5 oz bottle is not required. I always add it though.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
RP does make and sell a dual clutch manual transmission fluid. I have no experience with this type of fluid. Their rear differential fluid is good; they (makers of RP) say it already has the friction modifiers in it, so the Ford 5 oz bottle is not required. I always add it though.
What my man said. You still want to add that 5oz bottle of friction modifier when doing gear swap even when using the royal purple gear oil.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Yep. I've read (on another Mustang forum) that some run the RP without the friction modifier, and some will add it. I've always added it in, and have never experienced rear end noise or slippage. I'll stay with what has worked for me.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Yep. I've read (on another Mustang forum) that some run the RP without the friction modifier, and some will add it. I've always added it in, and have never experienced rear end noise or slippage. I'll stay with what has worked for me.
I went to a place called mustang direct that's close by and they quoted 500$ for gears and install and 60$ for the RP 85w140 (3 bottles) no mention of a friction modifier on the bill?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I get mine from CJ Pony. They sell it with 2 quarts (4 pints) plus the friction modifier for that price, so maybe the Canadian dollar is different in value than the U.S.?

I use only 4 pints because I installed the Ford Racing finned rear differential cover that has the easier drain and fill plug capability; I dislike having to remove the cover each time I change the fluid in it. With this cover, the tech folks there said only 4 pints (two "U.S" quarts are required instead of the 5 pints that the owners manual specifys). More than 4 pints will get the fluid over the fill hole of the cover, and stands a high chance of the fluid to spray out of the vent cap (on top of the axle housing) at constant high speeds.

There was a thread started last week by a member here that had rear axle fluid leaking (not around the cover). He had just installed this complete axle assembly to his Mustang, and it had the Ford racing cover on it. I suspected it was overfilled with the recommended fill, but that would be with the stock differential cover, and not the Ford racing cover. There's also a TSB out (albeit for the earlier Mustang differential 8.8 housings) that has to do with rear end fluid being blown out of the vent cap. This TSB fix has Ford installing a "turkey baster" type vent tube, and less fluid. The Boss 301 folks that track their Mustangs are installing this TSB on their Mustangs, as they experience the same fluid loss from the stock vent cap when racing at the track.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang