BBK Shorty Headers + Borla Stingers = Amazing Sound - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-29-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
powerwhee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SFV
Region: California
Posts: 350
BBK Shorty Headers + Borla Stingers = Amazing Sound

Sounds so much deeper. Power is much better. 1-2 is a fishtail now. It legit feels like my friends 5.0 when he chirps. I can chirp at 80 mph too. The sound is much deeper and louder. To all you who say here shorties do nothing, your wrong. Sorry to say

I'm an auto and I fishtail in 2nd gear and chirp at 80 mph with 3.31 gears and the shorties. That's pretty impressive i'd say. i would recommend them.

And the sound. Oh the sound. So much deeper. No rasp at all. Louder by a bit. But it sounds sooo good now.



powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-29-2013, 03:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
NDstang05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 111
Agreed that shorties give a great sound, not as loud as the LT's they just have a great ring to them. There are gains as well but noticeable gains? I don't think so. Yes you'll gain some ponies but not ones you'll actually feel IMO.

I think shorties are awesome I just see the overall gains silly when it requires just as much work for LT's when you can gain much more.
NDstang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
powerwhee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SFV
Region: California
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDstang05 View Post
Agreed that shorties give a great sound, not as loud as the LT's they just have a great ring to them. There are gains as well but noticeable gains? I don't think so. Yes you'll gain some ponies but not ones you'll actually feel IMO.

I think shorties are awesome I just see the overall gains silly when it requires just as much work for LT's when you can gain much more.
Well I went to the track and beat my friends tuned 2013 335i by two car lengths when I lost to it before with the shorties before and after.... so there were gains
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-29-2013, 04:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Siber Express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Clinton
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 1,100
Yes it does change the Tone a bunch, people don't believe I have the stock mufflers on mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDstang05 View Post
Agreed that shorties give a great sound, not as loud as the LT's they just have a great ring to them. There are gains as well but noticeable gains? I don't think so. Yes you'll gain some ponies but not ones you'll actually feel IMO.

I think shorties are awesome I just see the overall gains silly when it requires just as much work for LT's when you can gain much more.
The low to mid range power is very noticeable, and for the work to put them on, it will be worth it when you have to pass a visual part of an Emissions test.
__________________
2013 V6 MCoA, Performance Package, Security Package, Comfort Package and Electronic Package.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
fordfan100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 607
Are you running the stock mid pipe
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
Sounds so much deeper. Power is much better. 1-2 is a fishtail now. It legit feels like my friends 5.0 when he chirps. I can chirp at 80 mph too. The sound is much deeper and louder. To all you who say here shorties do nothing, your wrong. Sorry to say

I'm an auto and I fishtail in 2nd gear and chirp at 80 mph with 3.31 gears and the shorties. That's pretty impressive i'd say. i would recommend them.

And the sound. Oh the sound. So much deeper. No rasp at all. Louder by a bit. But it sounds sooo good now.



Sorry bro, I just don't get them .I wouldn't waste my money on shorties. If that's the case just leave the factory manifolds on and connect a o/r pipe or high flowing pipe to stock manifolds.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:31 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
R03GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: hopewell jct.
Region: New York
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post

Well I went to the track and beat my friends tuned 2013 335i by two car lengths when I lost to it before with the shorties before and after.... so there were gains
Id like to see proof of this. The 335i has tein turbo if its tuned it would destroy a v6 wiyh just exhaust. Just tuning those cars and you can gain 50-80hp or more. Bone stock they run low 13's.
R03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
SouthernCyclone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Schnars
Region: Alabama
Posts: 290
The gains of shorties have been proven by themselves on other sites, double digit gains on the dyno. In addition many members have reported noticeable gains after install (as in wrote a detailed thread of there experience before/after). Not only that, they make the exhaust sound better then LTH's. An upgraded mid pipe is just an additional mod for power/torque.

Now if you want to go buy your LTH's, that fine. But I will run my shorties, get more gains were needed on these cars then LTH's and throw on a OR x pipe for even more. All that for the cost of LTH's by themselves.

Shorties on these cars show noticeable gains, stop being sheep and do some searching.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
BlackedStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

Sorry bro, I just don't get them .I wouldn't waste my money on shorties. If that's the case just leave the factory manifolds on and connect a o/r pipe or high flowing pipe to stock manifolds.
Huh? Waste money? How??? They sound amazing (much much better than long tubes IMO) and give you a good amount of power for under 300$! That is a hell of a bargain. I will have what your smoking lmao. I'm about to place my order on these bad boys. I love the sound man, music to my ears.

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by R03GT

Id like to see proof of this. The 335i has tein turbo if its tuned it would destroy a v6 wiyh just exhaust. Just tuning those cars and you can gain 50-80hp or more. Bone stock they run low 13's.
He has proof....check out his videos. And the new 335i is a single turbo btw
__________________
2012 V6 Performance Package
BlackedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Lol sorry but for all the effort and for the money its honestly not worth it any way shape or form. The gains are like 8-12MAX and the tone is nice but I prefer LT on ANY car thats looking for some real gains that u can feel that puts ur *** in the seat. Sure u happened to beat ur friend....what if its a driver error and he messed up? Or what if he wanted to be nice n let u think ur shorties actually made ur car THAT much faster. I find it to be bull that shorties can magically make ur car go from loosing to beating him by TWO cars. Thats unrealistic to me. Yes u will feel a very SMALL bump in HP but unless ur tied in a O/R Xpipe with ur shorties at the same time and tuned it then nope I call bull. Not to be a ******* but be realistic u cant go from loosing to winning by two cars.
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
13 stang22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: fort worth
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,006
I can vouch for these shorties. at least for sound. my buddy has same setup as me but has shorties and I have LTs. his sounds better than mine but idk about perormance. I beat him by 5-6 car lengths. but I'm FI. so it wouldn't be fair race anyway. the sound though is better than LTs for sure. mine sounds like a NASCAR while his is deeper. I'm jealous
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
BlackedStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos
Lol sorry but for all the effort and for the money its honestly not worth it any way shape or form. The gains are like 8-12MAX
Where did you get that number? Pulling numbers out of your behind, Charles? Check this dyno vid out:

And read the long post on this page : Merged header threads>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Page 36 - Ford Mustang Forums

Lol @ people saying shorties are useless. Low end he gained 60 ft lb @ 3000 rpm . Do some research on the subject in hand before you make yourself look like a fool. He gained an average of about 45 torque then from about 3900 to about 5500. Which is awesome for the 3.7, considering it doesn't have much low-end torque.
__________________
2012 V6 Performance Package
BlackedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
13 stang22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: fort worth
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

Where did you get that number? Pulling numbers out of your behind, Charles? Check this dyno vid out:

And read the long post on this page : Merged header threads>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Page 36 - Ford Mustang Forums

Lol @ people saying shorties are useless. Low end he gained 60 ft lb @ 3000 rpm . Do some research on the subject in hand before you make yourself look like a fool. He gained an average of about 45 torque then from about 3900 to about 5500. Which is awesome for the 3.7, considering it doesn't have much low-end torque.
what I wanna know is if you can feel it? like will it help your 0-60 time or your 1/4 and then compare those times to the LTs. those are the only numbers that matter. maybe the OP can do some times for us? I'm sure that would settle this debate
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
powerwhee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SFV
Region: California
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfan100 View Post
Are you running the stock mid pipe
Yes

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by R03GT View Post
Id like to see proof of this. The 335i has tein turbo if its tuned it would destroy a v6 wiyh just exhaust. Just tuning those cars and you can gain 50-80hp or more. Bone stock they run low 13's.
If you'd like to see proof of this all you have to do is go on my youtube channel. There are literally like 30 races between me and various types of 335i, 335is, 335 n54, and 335 n55 with the 8 speed auto, regular 6 speed, and 7 speed dct. All are on my youtube channel

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post
what I wanna know is if you can feel it? like will it help your 0-60 time or your 1/4 and then compare those times to the LTs. those are the only numbers that matter. maybe the OP can do some times for us? I'm sure that would settle this debate
You can feel it for sure. I unplugged the negative battery, than plugged it back in, drove around a little, reloaded my tune and did the idle relearn. After that the car felt much faster.

I have some videos on my channel before the shorty headers of 0-60 and 80-120. i have also a video of my car after the shorties doing some speedo runs, like the one i posted up. and i have a speedo vid of the twin turbo tuned bmw 335is so you can compare it to my cars speed to.
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
powerwhee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SFV
Region: California
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
Lol sorry but for all the effort and for the money its honestly not worth it any way shape or form. The gains are like 8-12MAX and the tone is nice but I prefer LT on ANY car thats looking for some real gains that u can feel that puts ur *** in the seat. Sure u happened to beat ur friend....what if its a driver error and he messed up? Or what if he wanted to be nice n let u think ur shorties actually made ur car THAT much faster. I find it to be bull that shorties can magically make ur car go from loosing to beating him by TWO cars. Thats unrealistic to me. Yes u will feel a very SMALL bump in HP but unless ur tied in a O/R Xpipe with ur shorties at the same time and tuned it then nope I call bull. Not to be a ******* but be realistic u cant go from loosing to winning by two cars.
haha it def puts you back in your seat more. especially at lower rpm. way more low end torque than the long tubes at low end rpm.

doubt its a driver error considering that we did maybe 6 races. with similar outcome. before he beat me by 1 1/2- 2 car lengths. with the headers i beat him by a car length. so all in all my car gained about 3 cars of speed from the shorty headers. this is from a low speed 20 roll where im at 3500 rpm. exactly where the shorties are doing work. from a 40 roll, at 3800 rpm, before he beat me by like 3 cars at least. he was at 5000 rpm with his DCT spooling balls. Now he beats me by a car.

So from different speeds the gains are different, but I would say my car gained about 2 car lengths in speed from the shorties. Also we raced when it was round 80-85 degrees out; before the shorties we raced when it was like 65. turbos also like the cold weather. maybe that had something to do with it to? not saying there weren't variables at play... of course there are... just that the shorties made it a much much more comparable race.

and the tone on the shorties sounds much better.

dont worry. i will be going and getting some track results with the shorties in. my 1/8 mile best before the shorties was a 8.83@ 81.68mph.

im sure i can get a 8.7X@ 82.X with these shorties on.
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
13 stang22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: fort worth
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post

haha it def puts you back in your seat more. especially at lower rpm. way more low end torque than the long tubes at low end rpm.

doubt its a driver error considering that we did maybe 6 races. with similar outcome. before he beat me by 1 1/2- 2 car lengths. with the headers i beat him by a car length. so all in all my car gained about 3 cars of speed from the shorty headers. this is from a low speed 20 roll where im at 3500 rpm. exactly where the shorties are doing work. from a 40 roll, at 3800 rpm, before he beat me by like 3 cars at least. he was at 5000 rpm with his DCT spooling balls. Now he beats me by a car.

So from different speeds the gains are different, but I would say my car gained about 2 car lengths in speed from the shorties. Also we raced when it was round 80-85 degrees out; before the shorties we raced when it was like 65. turbos also like the cold weather. maybe that had something to do with it to? not saying there weren't variables at play... of course there are... just that the shorties made it a much much more comparable race.

and the tone on the shorties sounds much better.

dont worry. i will be going and getting some track results with the shorties in. my 1/8 mile best before the shorties was a 8.83@ 81.68mph.

im sure i can get a 8.7X@ 82.X with these shorties on.
that's sick dude. I was in love with my buddy's exhaust- shorties catted x pipe and Borla atak with 18 in resonators. I want it so bad lol. this honestly surprised me. I assumed shorties were a waste. other than looks and sound
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
NDstang05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 111
I'm gonna stand by what I say and leave it simply as unless you going for sound idk why you'd bother to get shorty headers. If gains are your goal just get LT's, if sound is your priority then get whatever makes it sound better. Regardless for the amount of time ( or money ) spent installing might as well just get LT.

I'm really playing devils advocate on this one OP because I'm attempting to tell myself to not buy FR shorties because a local is selling brand new ones for $150.. :p
NDstang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Everyone says it changes the tone alot. But I can't hear it? Gains, I'll leave to opinions and such. Plus, don't care. I can beat a stroked 302 fox with slicks with my DD and I'm 95% stock.

I'm torn between them.
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Chirp at 80 with auto?
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
powerwhee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SFV
Region: California
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Chirp at 80 with auto?
yes. look at the speedo vid with headphones on. youll hear a chirp at 80 into 3rd gear. ive done it a couple times now. it fishtails sideways into 2nd gear now too.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Everyone says it changes the tone alot. But I can't hear it? Gains, I'll leave to opinions and such. Plus, don't care. I can beat a stroked 302 fox with slicks with my DD and I'm 95% stock.

I'm torn between them.
haha did you even listen to my video? it sounds totally different than it did before. its waaay deeper.
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
BlackedStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDstang05
I'm gonna stand by what I say and leave it simply as unless you going for sound idk why you'd bother to get shorty headers. If gains are your goal just get LT's, if sound is your priority then get whatever makes it sound better. Regardless for the amount of time ( or money ) spent installing might as well just get LT.
Where do you guys get this false information???? You obviously didn't read my post on page 1 . There are power gains, mostly torque. Which is what the 3.7 needs....more TORQUE. Quit being ducks and do some actual research.
__________________
2012 V6 Performance Package
BlackedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
powerwhee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SFV
Region: California
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDstang05 View Post
I'm gonna stand by what I say and leave it simply as unless you going for sound idk why you'd bother to get shorty headers. If gains are your goal just get LT's, if sound is your priority then get whatever makes it sound better. Regardless for the amount of time ( or money ) spent installing might as well just get LT.

I'm really playing devils advocate on this one OP because I'm attempting to tell myself to not buy FR shorties because a local is selling brand new ones for $150.. :p
not at all true. long tubes are at least 1k right away. you need the long tubes and the matching pipe. thats around 600-700 dollars for the bbk combo. than you have to install it, another 300 dollars. The shorties were 277 and 150 for the install. And it gives you the ability to upgrade it in parts, instead of having to drop 1k right away. Makes it easier to do the upgrade. I'm really happy with the shorties. Plus I live in califronia. you cant mess with the cats at all. every time i get inspections i would have to pay someone to reinstall my stock exhaust manifold and headers and pay someone to take it off. this way i can just swap the mid pipe when the time comes. and the gains... are great in my eyes. the car just feels so much better on the low end. and the sound is just soo much better than long tubes.

on top of that i bet that a a car with the shorties and catless x pipe will be just as fast as a car with the long tubes and catless x pipe. shorties give you MUCH MORE TORQUE than the long tubes. the long tubes give you like 5 rwhp more than the shorties. the shorties give you like 40 more torque at low rpm than the long tubes.
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
BlackedStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee


on top of that i bet that a a car with the shorties and catless x pipe will be just as fast as a car with the long tubes and catless x pipe. shorties give you MUCH MORE TORQUE than the long tubes. the long tubes give you like 5 rwhp more than the shorties. the shorties give you like 40 more torque at low rpm than the long tubes.
+100

That is why I am getting the shorties over the long tubes. They sound better, cost a fraction of the price of LTs, and the gains are better. Long tubes might give you 12-15 more rwhp, but you lose torque. These 3.7s need more torque. And the shorties will do just that.
__________________
2012 V6 Performance Package
BlackedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
13 stang22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: fort worth
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,006
I would like to know if they help 0-60
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
BlackedStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22
I would like to know if they help 0-60
Obviously they will. Look at the link I posted with the dyno information. An average gain of 45 ft-lb torque through 3,000-5,500 RPM. They will help your acceleration tremendously.
__________________
2012 V6 Performance Package
BlackedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
R03GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: hopewell jct.
Region: New York
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

Huh? Waste money? How??? They sound amazing (much much better than long tubes IMO) and give you a good amount of power for under 300$! That is a hell of a bargain. I will have what your smoking lmao. I'm about to place my order on these bad boys. I love the sound man, music to my ears.

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------



He has proof....check out his videos. And the new 335i is a single turbo btw
Ah yes they must have changed it since the 2006 models I believe. Though wouldbt even having a single turbo make more power with just a tune then a n/a v6 with just exhaust?
R03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
BlackedStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by R03GT

Ah yes they must have changed it since the 2006 models I believe. Though wouldbt even having a single turbo make more power with just a tune then a n/a v6 with just exhaust?
There was no 2006 335i. They started the 335i in 2007. And yes a tuned 335i would make more power than just a V6 with an exhaust. But remember, the new 2011+ V6's come with 305 HP in stock form. The new 335i's have 300 HP stock, but they are under-rated.
__________________
2012 V6 Performance Package
BlackedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
R03GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: hopewell jct.
Region: New York
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

There was no 2006 335i. They started the 335i in 2007. And yes a tuned 335i would make more power than just a V6 with an exhaust. But remember, the new 2011+ V6's come with 305 HP in stock form. The new 335i's have 300 HP stock, but they are under-rated.
I dont really follow bmw's closely just knew somewhere in the 06-10 range there was one with twin turbo. I think id rather have the older 335i then. I know when you tune them they rape. Wonder why they decided to stop making them with twin turbo. I went on a bwm forum and they said with just a tune they gained like 60-80hp. Id like to see a new mustang v6 with a good turbo build heard someone say that they are similar to the 2jz motors.
R03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
powerwhee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SFV
Region: California
Posts: 350
There is a 2007-2010 BMW 335i. They use n54.


That's twin turbo. It respond well to mods.

Then from 2011-2013 they have a twin scroll single turbo n55. It also responds pretty good to mods.

There is also the 335is. It has a n54 engine with a factory tune that is rated at 370 torque and 320 hp.

I hve races with all of them. On my channel. Ill let them speak for themselves. I don't know how or why... I would say with my car I have about 340 hp. 320 torque with the shorties. At the crank. 3300 lb car. Base model. Auto. I rev it to 7500 and shift. My steeda 91 tune makes power all the way to there. Engine feels strong doing it. Never knocks or pings doesnt sound bad. I have out trapped every 3.31 geared tune/intake/exhaust I know. Maybe it's the driver mod? I do shift at 7500 like I said
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
R03GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: hopewell jct.
Region: New York
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
There is a 2007-2010 BMW 335i. They use n54.

That's twin turbo. It respond well to mods.

Then from 2011-2013 they have a twin scroll single turbo n55. It also responds pretty good to mods.

There is also the 335is. It has a n54 engine with a factory tune that is rated at 370 torque and 320 hp.

I hve races with all of them. On my channel. Ill let them speak for themselves. I don't know how or why... I would say with my car I have about 340 hp. 320 torque with the shorties. At the crank. 3300 lb car. Base model. Auto. I rev it to 7500 and shift. My steeda 91 tune makes power all the way to there. Engine feels strong doing it. Never knocks or pings doesnt sound bad. I have out trapped every 3.31 geared tune/intake/exhaust I know. Maybe it's the driver mod? I do shift at 7500 like I said
Probably a driver mod since the 06 ones run low 13's stock and from what ive seen I never saw a bone stock v6 do that. They have a better starting point then the mustang so its very possible they just suck at driving their car. Either way I can rub it into my friends face who thinks bmws are the be all end all.
R03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

Where did you get that number? Pulling numbers out of your behind, Charles? Check this dyno vid out:

And read the long post on this page : Merged header threads>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - Page 36 - Ford Mustang Forums

Lol @ people saying shorties are useless. Low end he gained 60 ft lb @ 3000 rpm . Do some research on the subject in hand before you make yourself look like a fool. He gained an average of about 45 torque then from about 3900 to about 5500. Which is awesome for the 3.7, considering it doesn't have much low-end torque.
Lmfao run me in my 3.7 so we can settle this with our cars then TRY and run me in my 5.0 the 3.7 is auto too.
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #32
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff
 
WhoDat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Anchorage
Region: Alaska
Posts: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
I hve races with all of them. On my channel. Ill let them speak for themselves.
I'm neutral on the whole LT and shorty discussion as i am a still running the stock manifolds. I will say that your car sounds awesome and if you're happy with it, then that's all that matters, but also, you probably shouldn't tell people to watch videos of you street racing on a forum that frowns upon it and doesn't hold back when deleting post involving it.
__________________
2012 Kona Blue 3.7L V6:
Borla LT headers, O/R h-pipe, Borla S-types, 3.73 gears,
Steeda adjustable UCA w/ mount, BMR LCAs, Airaid CAI,
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
NewMtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,951
So the real question for all the money that long pipes cost (LT Headers, Shorty Catted X-Pipes) how much horsepower for the almost $200 more?
__________________
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
So the real question for all the money that long pipes cost (LT Headers, Shorty Catted X-Pipes) how much horsepower for the almost $200 more?
Balls if I know. Lmao. I know that my long tubes are sweet music to my ears. I have heard you loose some off line torque with the long tubes but you make up and some with the mid to high range. I'm not sure if that's true. I know that with my long tubes the car pulls wicked hard mid and high range and my off line feels great. I don't know first hand ***** about the shorties other than what others have said on here about them and mechanic friends of mine.

I know my car feels to pull the hardest when it hits around 40 mph , tires chirp and it feels to really explode from off the line once I hit around 40 mph.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post

yes. look at the speedo vid with headphones on. youll hear a chirp at 80 into 3rd gear. ive done it a couple times now. it fishtails sideways into 2nd gear now too.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------



haha did you even listen to my video? it sounds totally different than it did before. its waaay deeper.
I did listen but I have no baseline lol

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post

not at all true. long tubes are at least 1k right away. you need the long tubes and the matching pipe. thats around 600-700 dollars for the bbk combo. than you have to install it, another 300 dollars. The shorties were 277 and 150 for the install. And it gives you the ability to upgrade it in parts, instead of having to drop 1k right away. Makes it easier to do the upgrade. I'm really happy with the shorties. Plus I live in califronia. you cant mess with the cats at all. every time i get inspections i would have to pay someone to reinstall my stock exhaust manifold and headers and pay someone to take it off. this way i can just swap the mid pipe when the time comes. and the gains... are great in my eyes. the car just feels so much better on the low end. and the sound is just soo much better than long tubes.

on top of that i bet that a a car with the shorties and catless x pipe will be just as fast as a car with the long tubes and catless x pipe. shorties give you MUCH MORE TORQUE than the long tubes. the long tubes give you like 5 rwhp more than the shorties. the shorties give you like 40 more torque at low rpm than the long tubes.
Does it have the lope as some of the LT setups produce?

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post

not at all true. long tubes are at least 1k right away. you need the long tubes and the matching pipe. thats around 600-700 dollars for the bbk combo. than you have to install it, another 300 dollars. The shorties were 277 and 150 for the install. And it gives you the ability to upgrade it in parts, instead of having to drop 1k right away. Makes it easier to do the upgrade. I'm really happy with the shorties. Plus I live in califronia. you cant mess with the cats at all. every time i get inspections i would have to pay someone to reinstall my stock exhaust manifold and headers and pay someone to take it off. this way i can just swap the mid pipe when the time comes. and the gains... are great in my eyes. the car just feels so much better on the low end. and the sound is just soo much better than long tubes.

on top of that i bet that a a car with the shorties and catless x pipe will be just as fast as a car with the long tubes and catless x pipe. shorties give you MUCH MORE TORQUE than the long tubes. the long tubes give you like 5 rwhp more than the shorties. the shorties give you like 40 more torque at low rpm than the long tubes.
Also lose torque with LT by about 10.
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



03:24 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.