JLT oil separator - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
JLT oil separator

Just ordered the jlt oil separator for my 2013 v6. I've got 3000 miles on the odo and im going im going to texas this friday (im in oklahoma) so ill have to wait till i get back to put it in since i dont have it yet :/ i'll also do an oil change when i get back as well. Anyway should i clean anything before installing the oil separator? I'ts getting sucked into the intake, but that seems like a huge pain to clean. Maybe im just worrying too much. Has anyone else added these after some good miles were put on the car? Did you clean anything? Also what oil should i go with brand wise? Should i just stick with the motorcraft full synthetic or go to something else? I'll change the filter as well of course. Thanks guys. This is just my first new car and i baby the crap out of it, but also push it a lot
ironsurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Mobil 1 FTW!
SR Performance Short Throw Shifter
Mezmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

has anybody changed their oil for the first time and developed the engine tick? I don't have it on mine and nervous when i change it that it will happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsurvivor View Post
has anybody changed their oil for the first time and developed the engine tick? I don't have it on mine and nervous when i change it that it will happen.
Huh? An oil tick from an oil change?
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:54 AM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
At 3000 miles, I doubt your intake is requiring a cleaning. Install the oil seperator, and check it weekly. I think you'll be suprised as to how much mist it's going to collect. I empty about a tablespoon per week; that's at about 400 miles a week.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Stick to the Motorcraft motor oil. I've yet, read or heard anything bad about Motorcraft oil. Install your catch can and check it every 1,000 miles or so. You'll be suprised how much oil it collects.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I would stick with the semi-synthetic

Use the Semi-Synthetic until you get about 10,000 miles or so on your engine. Then switch to the full synthetic.

I changed my oil and filter at 3,500 and will do it again at 7,000 using the Motorcraft semi-synthetic oil and their filter.

I will switch to full synthetic Motorcraft at 10,000 miles.

I just go to my Ford dealer for Oil Changes. They usually only charge $15.99 for the oil and Filter. ( Motorcraft Semi-Synthetic)

As far as your JLT, Just go ahead and put it on. It is a great product and only take about one minute to put it on your car.

Have a good trip,
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Is there a reason to use the semi synthetic until 10000? Not being rude. Just curious. I'm thinking ill just wait till I get to 5000 miles and change it. That's always been my normal interval
Old 08-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Is there a reason to use the semi synthetic until 10000? Not being rude. Just curious. I'm thinking ill just wait till I get to 5000 miles and change it. That's always been my normal interval
No reason to use semi until 10K....I switched to full at the first oil change, and use the oil life monitor to tell me when its ready for its next change, or 7K, whichever comes first.

I have no idea why some are saying to run the semi until 10K. With synthetics, full or semi just denotes the frequency of oil changes. Full stnthetics allow you to run longer between changes, or if you tow, it's better to use.

Those that change their oil at low intervals (below 6K) should stick with semi, as they are wasting money if they run the full synthetic and change it early. Ford added a deeper sump to the 3.7 oil pan to allow for 6 full quarts of oil, and it extends the requirement for changes.

As to brands, this will always invite opinions, and sometimes debates. Motorcraft is great stuff; so is Mobile 1, Amsoil, and there are others. I buy whats on sale (full synthetic), as long as its not an off brand name.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Semi used just due to cost and low miles.

I changed at 3,500 then will change again at around 7,000 or so. Not many miles between changes. Save some $$$$$$ that way. At 10,000 I will switch to Full and go for at least 10,000 or when the CPU tells me it is time to change. You can use full synthetic at your first change but if your not going to go 10,000 before your next change why would you waste a bunch of $$$$$ ?

I'm a firm believer in lower miles between changes for the first 10,000 miles and the dealer gave me """FREE"" first and second oil & Filter changes using Motorcraft Semi-Synthetic oil. I will have to pay for my third one.

Ronnie
Old 08-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
I will do 5k and semi for the life of the car. It's dusty out here and I cannot fathom intervals much higher than that.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I changed at 3,500 then will change again at around 7,000 or so. Not many miles between changes. Save some $$$$$$ that way. At 10,000 I will switch to Full and go for at least 10,000 or when the CPU tells me it is time to change. You can use full synthetic at your first change but if your not going to go 10,000 before your next change why would you waste a bunch of $$$$$ ?

I'm a firm believer in lower miles between changes for the first 10,000 miles and the dealer gave me """FREE"" first and second oil & Filter changes using Motorcraft Semi-Synthetic oil. I will have to pay for my third one.

Ronnie
Thats a good point. I wasn't sure if you meant that it was required to use semi up to 10K before switching.

I remember the stupid myths years ago about synthetics...oil seals will leak, too slippery for the rod bearings, and that dumb list went on.

Your logic is a good one...I support it, especially when switching to full synthetic. Leave it in there for longer intervals. That's its purpose. Never understood why folks would use full, then dump it after 3500, or maybe up to 5K. It's just tossing money out the window. Might as well stick with using semi synthetic.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

A true test with Mobil 1 years ago

When I worked for Greyline in Daytona we had two Ford vans that were coverted into buses. Both were v8 Automatics. On one bus we used Mobil 1 and changed it at 25,000 miles adding hardly any oil at all, I think it was only two quarts to keep it topped off.

The other bus used Penzoil non synthetic and was changed every 3,000 miles. Although the Penziol was good oil the bus started using a lot of it after about 60,000 miles and at 100,000 when torn down was needing a complete rebuild.

The bus using the Mobil 1 synthetic when torn down was still good with very little wear and no sludge at all.

I know we don't drive our cars as hard as those buses were driven with all of the idling and pulling a lot of weight but it proved to me that full synthetic is the way to go if you plan on keeping your car a very long time. Changing it at 10,000 miles when using a good quality full synthetic is not only good for the environment but also still not going to hurt your car.

I'm thinking it was around 1981 or 82 when I drove the tour bus and Mobil 1 was still pretty new to most people.

Ronnie
Old 08-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
Admin

Supporter
Admin

It's good stuff (synthetic). I've been sold on it for years. My 2005 Ford F150 had almost 250K on it when I traded it in on the Mustang. Before the truck, I had a VW Vanagon camper; it had over 350K; all used synthetic oils.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
When I worked for Greyline in Daytona we had two Ford vans that were coverted into buses. Both were v8 Automatics. On one bus we used Mobil 1 and changed it at 25,000 miles adding hardly any oil at all, I think it was only two quarts to keep it topped off.

The other bus used Penzoil non synthetic and was changed every 3,000 miles. Although the Penziol was good oil the bus started using a lot of it after about 60,000 miles and at 100,000 when torn down was needing a complete rebuild.

The bus using the Mobil 1 synthetic when torn down was still good with very little wear and no sludge at all.

I know we don't drive our cars as hard as those buses were driven with all of the idling and pulling a lot of weight but it proved to me that full synthetic is the way to go if you plan on keeping your car a very long time. Changing it at 10,000 miles when using a good quality full synthetic is not only good for the environment but also still not going to hurt your car.

I'm thinking it was around 1981 or 82 when I drove the tour bus and Mobil 1 was still pretty new to most people.

Ronnie
That's the kind of eyewitness news reporting that proves valuable.
Thanks Ronnie
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Changing your oil frequently used to be good. Now it isn't necesary and just a waste of money. If you want to know if you should change sooner than the monitor says, start getting an oil analysis (I used Blackstone Labs) to get good information for your scheduling.

Changing at 3,000 or even 5,000 is recommended by the .........people trying to sell you oil. If Ford says longer intervals are recommended, and they are warranteeing against failure, I'll believe Fird before the guy who is trying to sell me more oil.

My 2006 with a supercharger I changed at 7,500 - 8,000 intervals. Blackstone said I could stretch further even on that car. I sold it with 203,000 miles on it and ran mid 12's at the drag strip. It has 212,000 on it and the owner just did a week vacation on the bourbon trail, and races it, and it is still running strong.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I just changed the oil in my wife's $40,000 2013 Edge Limited today. First oil change with just 1,000 miles. You wouldn't believe all the very fine metal in the old oil. When i would move the oil side to side in the sun, looked like glitter in the oil. Just saying..................
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
I just changed the oil in my wife's $40,000 2013 Edge Limited today. First oil change with just 1,000 miles. You wouldn't believe all the very fine metal in the old oil. When i would move the oil side to side in the sun, looked like glitter in the oil. Just saying..................
My first oil change showed oil life used up by 3k. Second one at 10k changed to Mobile1. And it still had 25% life left on the Motorcraft Semi Synth.
I wonder if they use a break in oil. I know the dealer said they did on my daughters Fiesta.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

ive still got 73 percent oil life. According to the monitor. I think ill just change it at 5000
Old 08-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ive still got 73 percent oil life. According to the monitor. I think ill just change it at 5000
Change it at 10%
Old 08-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

For some reason i was thinking at 30 percent you were supposed to. Is it 10?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Owner's manual says 10% is when the dash will notify you it is time.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang