Buying a 2013 rental conv??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #1

Region: Ohio
Buying a 2013 rental conv???

Hello all,

I am new to the website but not to the mustangs. I have a 68vert.
I always liked the look of 2013 and am on the market for one.
But they are all rentals. There are no used mustang available and i have been looking for few weeks now.
So here is a question. Is it a good idea to get one??
I found two that i like in one dealership, they both are premium convertible with grey interior (what i like) One is grey one is white. price under $21k

It saves me almost $14k comparing to new one.

So tell me what do you guys think

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
i wouldn't buy a rental. No freaking way man. have you ever rented a sports car? people thrash those things.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas

You can do a lot of repairs for $14K. My company rented one for me once. The rental rate was $192/day. The people that can afford that tend to take care of their vehicles. The reason all the rentals are sixxers is to be more economic and relatively unraggable.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post

You can do a lot of repairs for $14K. My company rented one for me once. The rental rate was $192/day. The people that can afford that tend to take care of their vehicles. The reason all the rentals are sixxers is to be more economic and relatively unraggable.
Thats what I was thinking. How many 17 years old can afford to rent a car like that. Those cars drove 22k miles in 8 months. There is no way those are city miles. And how can you abuse the car on a highway.
Those cars are still on factory warranty and how do you know that the one owner car wasn't abused?
Old 08-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Maybe it's just me, but I've never gone ape**** on a rental car.

I've never purchased a used car, but if I did I think that would be one of the first places I'd look. They are maintained, and they have all the records to prove it.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by drukkosz View Post
Hello all,

But they are all rentals. There are no used mustang available and i have been looking for few weeks now.
I found two that i like in one dealership, they both are premium convertible with grey interior (what i like) One is grey one is white. price under $21k

thanks
Mine was a rental. 2012 v6 premium 35,000 miles, fully loaded w/ a ten year/ 100,000 warranty and I bought it for 17500. I absolutely love my car.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #7

So the question now is white or grey? lol
Old 08-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Grey!!

A low mile rental should be fine. Take it to your mechanic for a once over, check the body and under-carriage. Check for leaks and odd noises.

Basically, take your time and enjoy your savings when you find the right one!
Old 08-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So the question now is white or grey? lol
I do wish I had found one in sterling gray. Even though my storm trooper looks pretty sweet, I still want a sterling. Good thing about white is it tends to hide dents and scratches better than the darker colors. Are you buying from a dealership or auction?
Old 08-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I personally wouldn't buy a rental but 14k cheaper is a lot of $$$$. What if any warranty is there?
Old 08-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #11

I am buying it from Lincoln dealership
Old 08-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I say "BUY IT""

It is still under warranty and I'm sure there is not a thing wrong with it. If it was trashed it would not be on a dealers lot. It would be on a buy here pay here type lot or at car max.

99% of people that rent a car are not going to really trash it. I rent cars and I sure don't need to pay for any damage when I return it.

Dealers always take the crap to an auction or wholesale it to a used car lot. They sure don't sell it on their lot.

Ronnie
Old 08-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

+1 to Ronnie

If you are going to a dealer make sure the warranty transfers to you. It should anyway because the original warranty didn't expire but it never hurts to get it in writing. Also, make them have a mechanic inspect it.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #14

Thank you guys,
the car is 200 miles away, I spoke with the owner of that dealership, He said he just got the grey one and white is in his show room. I asked if the cars were serviced and he said yes. I told him i would like to see all serivce papers that he has. So i guess i need to wait till tomorrow and see them both in person.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Best of luck!
Old 08-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thank you guys,
the car is 200 miles away, I spoke with the owner of that dealership, He said he just got the grey one and white is in his show room. I asked if the cars were serviced and he said yes. I told him i would like to see all serivce papers that he has. So i guess i need to wait till tomorrow and see them both in person.
Ask him for the VIN's and an OASIS report. You can then run the VINS on most dealer sites or the Ford inventory site to see the original stickers.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

If its still under warranty and will be transfered to you go for it. But sorry Ronnie I think your % of people is a little high especially for a mustang. Just saying. I rented one for my wedding day, a new 2001 red convertible that had only 8k and it was definitely beaten on especially when I was done with it.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Hello all,

thanks
I bought my 2012 V6 Grabber Blue convertible the end of March off a dealer lot. The car was a rental. It had less than 12,000 miles on it. It was Ford Certified with a 7 yr / 100,000 mile power train, 4 yr / 48 month bumper to bumper warranty. This is not a third party warranty, it is a Ford warranty, a better warranty than purchasing a brand new car. I figured if anything was obviously wrong with it due to abuse, I would find out way before the warranty runs out. I have put another 5,000 miles on it with absolutely no issues, and have no regrets buying it. I was very leery about buying a rental when I first started looking, but after talking to a few people and researching the Internet, I felt that with this particular car and warranty I was very comfortable doing it. Trying to find a used Mustang convertible on a dealer lot that's only a year or two old, it's probably going to be a rental.

By the way, I skipped over the California cars and bought a Florida car. I didn't want to have any of the CAFE stuff to deal with on my car as I live in Wisconsin.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #19

What should i look for when i go there tomorrow?
Old 08-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post

I bought my 2012 V6 Grabber Blue convertible the end of March off a dealer lot. The car was a rental. It had less than 12,000 miles on it. It was Ford Certified with a 7 yr / 100,000 mile power train, 4 yr / 48 month bumper to bumper warranty. This is not a third party warranty, it is a Ford warranty, a better warranty than purchasing a brand new car. I figured if anything was obviously wrong with it due to abuse, I would find out way before the warranty runs out. I have put another 5,000 miles on it with absolutely no issues, and have no regrets buying it. I was very leery about buying a rental when I first started looking, but after talking to a few people and researching the Internet, I felt that with this particular car and warranty I was very comfortable doing it. Trying to find a used Mustang convertible on a dealer lot that's only a year or two old, it's probably going to be a rental.

By the way, I skipped over the California cars and bought a Florida car. I didn't want to have any of the CAFE stuff to deal with on my car as I live in Wisconsin.
Excellent warranty and good that its through ford! I bought a used Mazda 3 with a 3/60k third party warranty on it and getting work done on it was always a headache!
Old 08-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
one of many videos as to why I would stay away from a rental, warranty or not

Old 08-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Yep that sums it up! Lmao.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi FastFord13

I'm sure you probably drove it hard or fast but I'm sure if you trashed the Mustang it would not have been sold on a new car dealers lot. It is really hard to hurt a mustang or just about any car now-A-Days by driving it hard. Any driver error damage is pretty obvious such as bald tires etc. and would be charged to you when you return the rental car. I stick to 99% of people that rent cars just enjoy having transportation and are pretty careful but there is ALWAYS that 1% that can destroy anything in about fifteen miles of driving. They do end p paying though.

I would bet that the idiot in that video bought a set of rear tires for that Mustang when he returned it. Anyway, That ain't gonna hurt the car unless he ran into something.

Ronnie
Old 08-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

8k on any rental is going to be a lot harder milage then any personal car and believe me you will feel that harder milage down the road. Example I avoid any pot hole I see in my personal car but in a rental I could car less. There are things people will do to a rental that they would never to to their personal car! Its just how it is! Warranties are a must with anyone considering a rental and expect the unexpected!
Old 08-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What should i look for when i go there tomorrow?
Look for body damage, tire wear not consistent with miles, fluid leaks, general wear and tear.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

I have purchased 3.. factory warranty eased my concerns. Ask if they will certify it.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
there are so many great deals out there these days,
why go after a rental fleet car?

You dont have to burnout to thrash a car. So many people drive in different ways putting unnecessary stress on a daily car an owner otherwise wouldnt subject his prized posession to.

Random acts of carelessness, of any kind from parking to eating in the car.

Botom line is, its not yours and most people get the 9.99 daily damage waiver so anything goes. Most likely you wont have a problem, but why subject yourself to a possible problem when you dont have to?
Old 08-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I travel ALLOT and always have a rental car. I'm usually with at least a few other people who often also have rental cars. I can't tell you how often I re attach bumpers and help guys that run them out of gas. People turn them into curbs and pop tires, I have seen someone put diesel in a car, drove around for a week with the parking break half on... Oh, teach someone to drive a manual, that was a good one.... Just think of every stupid thing that you wouldn't do to your car and that's what people do to these rental cars.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I would never buy a rental car. Most people drive those things like they stole it. Just go on Youtube and search rental car burnout. Hell whenever I get a rental I always push them to the limit, it's fun!
Old 08-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I think the saying is "just because you can doesn't mean you should." If you wouldn't do it to your own car, why are you doing it to someone else's??? Seems like a really ****** thing to do, especially because you admit it is wrong. Grow up.

I bought my rental w/ a 10/100 bumper to bumper for 17500. You can get a great deal. Just be sure you make them certify it and put everything in writing with as many signatures as you can get. If anything goes wrong they will have to fix it. Either way, if your buying from a dealership you should be ok. They won't sell cars that they know have problems.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllTRADEMARKlll View Post
I think the saying is "just because you can doesn't mean you should." If you wouldn't do it to your own car, why are you doing it to someone else's??? Seems like a really ****** thing to do, especially because you admit it is wrong. Grow up.

I bought my rental w/ a 10/100 bumper to bumper for 17500. You can get a great deal. Just be sure you make them certify it and put everything in writing with as many signatures as you can get. If anything goes wrong they will have to fix it. Either way, if your buying from a dealership you should be ok. They won't sell cars that they know have problems.
The REALITY is that it happens all the time. Would you want to buy something that people have beaten on and have had no regards when they have had it??? Yes I would trust a dealer more than the car lot down the road but in all reality the dealer might spend a hour looking over the car before they deem it certified and fix what ever is obviously wrong with it. They won't extensively test drive it and check every little detail!
Old 08-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Mine was a ford dealership rental car. And by rental I mean the salesman let his wife ride in it under dealer tags for 25,000 miles.

No problems with it except the paint in one area and a door dent. 2012 premium and walked out @ 22k. Only problem interior wise was my driver seat had a few worn leather panels in the bottom area. If you're ok with the idea, go for it. I just had not much if a warranty left.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

The REALITY is that it happens all the time. Would you want to buy something that people have beaten on and have had no regards when they have had it??? Yes I would trust a dealer more than the car lot down the road but in all reality the dealer might spend a hour looking over the car before they deem it certified and fix what ever is obviously wrong with it. They won't extensively test drive it and check every little detail!
I guess it's just a chance we take if we feel comfortable enough about it. Ever buy a house? You probably spend an hour or so in something that you decide will be your new place to live for years to come. Granted, you get a home inspection if you are smart, but who knows if they will find everything in the time they are there also. Do you spend evenings sitting at the curb to see what the neighborhood is really like at 2:00am? Probably not. But still, you make a MAJOR commitment and life change and move your family there. All of a sudden buying a rental car doesn't seem like that big of a deal...
Old 08-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Mine was a ford dealership rental car. And by rental I mean the salesman let his wife ride in it under dealer tags for 25,000 miles.

No problems with it except the paint in one area and a door dent. 2012 premium and walked out @ 22k. Only problem interior wise was my driver seat had a few worn leather panels in the bottom area. If you're ok with the idea, go for it. I just had not much if a warranty left.
I think that's what people and myself are getting at. If the person is fine with what they are buying than go for it! Warranties are piece of mind. We are all just giving our opinions.

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post

I guess it's just a chance we take if we feel comfortable enough about it. Ever buy a house? You probably spend an hour or so in something that you decide will be your new place to live for years to come. Granted, you get a home inspection if you are smart, but who knows if they will find everything in the time they are there also. Do you spend evenings sitting at the curb to see what the neighborhood is really like at 2:00am? Probably not. But still, you make a MAJOR commitment and life change and move your family there. All of a sudden buying a rental car doesn't seem like that big of a deal...
The house analogy is probably not the best comparison to a newer rental car.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

I think that's what people and myself are getting at. If the person is fine with what they are buying than go for it! Warranties are piece of mind. We are all just giving our opinions.

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

Sorry, it's the best comparison I could come up with sitting here. Maybe someone else has a better one.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13

+1 on both statements

Fact is, most rental cars have been abused one way or another. Just something you have to accept when buying one. But if you can get one for a steal just make sure you have a mechanic inspect it before purchase.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang