bbk shorty header review - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
bbk shorty header review

me and my buddy have similar set up procharged 3.7s. we are both auto. only difference is he has a 2011 and I have a 2013. he has shorty headers and 3.73 gears and I have longtubes and 4.10s. everything else is the same including suspension. we decided to take it out to an open stretch of road closed off of course and we raced to about 100mph. my results were: he beat me off the line and to about 80 mph - not by much but he did. I caught up to him and we were fender to fender the rest of the way. my thoughts on this were that shortys are not a waste of money if you are looking for quick acceleration off the line. what amazed me was I had 4.10s and he had 3.73. I shoulda been quicker than him off the line logically but i wasn't. tires may have played a factor but we both have similar tread. I take it that shortys must improve torque. I did catch him though with the longtubes after awhile. I think shorties are not a waste of money if you want quick off the line acceleration. and we both have catted x pipe and Borla atak with 18 inch resonators. his sounded deeper and more like a v8. it was a noticeable difference. now this was used on procharged vehicles so idk if that makes a difference over NA. I'm still keepin my LTs though cause personally i prefer top end. this is jus my experience and wanted to share it with you guys.

he is going to post a video of his exhaust on YouTube soon so I will give y'all that link ASAP.
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Here we go Again! Mary Ann or Ginger.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

haha I jus thought I'd share. I don wanna start anything. lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
It's been proven (dyno) that long tube headers (BBK) yield HP gains (10-20) but at a loss of some torque (5-10). It's also been proven (dyno) that shorty headers (BBK) provide significant torque gains down low and a bit of HP. Somebody on AFM with shorty headers had his car dyno'd before and after his install. He saw torque gains as high as 60 ft-lb torque down-low and an average gain of 45 ft-lb torque. Shorties are far from a waste of money. I'd say they are a steal for $300. They also sound much much better than long tubes. Long tubes on our 3.7 make it sound like a old-loud tractor (just my opinion). In the end, get what makes you happiest. Both will make your car quicker and louder, the choice is up to you.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I was absolutely surprised tbh. I thought i was gonna win for sure but I was proven wrong. the torque gain is good but I'm actually sorta jealous of his sound. damn. a member on her by the name of powerwhee I think has a very good vid on YouTube of how they sound realistically.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22
I was absolutely surprised tbh. I thought i was gonna win for sure but I was proven wrong. the torque gain is good but I'm actually sorta jealous of his sound. damn. a member on her by the name of powerwhee I think has a very good vid on YouTube of how they sound realistically.
Yea his car is the best sounding 3.7 I've heard. Shorties make the 3.7 real deep and bassy, more like a V8.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'm so undecided about shorties or long tubes I want it to sound nice but I also want performance
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post
I'm so undecided about shorties or long tubes I want it to sound nice but I also want performance
acceleration vs top end. do you like a great off the line jump or do you want that rush of going 100+
Old 08-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I like both lol
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Good race, I was wondering how much of a difference the long tubes made over the shorties. To see that it's not that much, is good to know. I would feel like I wasted money on the long tubes when I could get the shorties for like 250 shipped.

Also I feel like the power difference would be even more noticeable on a F/I car because its flowing more air. So on a na car I don't even think the long tubes are worth a car length. The shorties make up for the 10 less peak rwhp with 40-60 more torque from 2000-4200 rpm.

With the shorties, I can shift at 5000 rpm and accelerate faster than If I was redlining the engine if I was stock. With the long tubes you have to rev the **** out of the car to feel the power difference.

And they do sound so much better. Here's that vid you were talking about. They have gotten even deeper and smoother after breaking in.

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post
Yea his car is the best sounding 3.7 I've heard. Shorties make the 3.7 real deep and bassy, more like a V8.
Thanks lol
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Do the shorts have the lope like the LT do?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Do the shorts have the lope like the LT do?
yes.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks to both of you for testing them out and you posting honestly.

My take is if buying new, LTH's aren't worth it for 1 simple fact, the price. You can buy Shorties plus a OR X or H pipe for the price of LTH's by themselves. So for the same price as LTH's you end up with a lot more whp and wtq because you can buy two mods that add those. On top of that you get a better sound.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
Thanks to both of you for testing them out and you posting honestly.

My take is if buying new, LTH's aren't worth it for 1 simple fact, the price. You can buy Shorties plus a OR X or H pipe for the price of LTH's by themselves. So for the same price as LTH's you end up with a lot more whp and wtq because you can buy two mods that add those. On top of that you get a better sound.
true but they have their downfalls and benefits. it jus depends on what type of driving you do dude. but yes my setup with the ceramic LTs catted x pipe Borla atak was around $1800 with install.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

True, but the majority (not all) of people are going to care about 0-100 and quick acceleration.
Now imagine if your friend had 4.10's instead of 3.73's with his setup. I wonder if you would have reeled him in.
Good races nonetheless.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Here we go Again! Mary Ann or Ginger.
Mary Ann
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
True, but the majority (not all) of people are going to care about 0-100 and quick acceleration.
Now imagine if your friend had 4.10's instead of 3.73's with his setup. I wonder if you would have reeled him in.
Good races nonetheless.
i might have lost the race. who knows.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
You might have won the race too.

He would have added about 10 percent more torque down low but possibly peaked to early and you would have drove right around him at around 80 mph I am guessing. Do you guys have the same size tire height too? That would play too.. Wish you guys shot video. Would have been a fun race to watch.

My last car had 4.30's in it and was an auto 4.6 3V. If I had shorties it would have just added more low end which I had a TON of. I moved to LT's and saw really nice gains up top and at the track it helped my launch as well taking by taking bit of low end torque and moving it up top. It increased my MPH a bit in the 1/4 too.

It's the combo of parts not just the one part.

Anyway. Great research. Thank you for sharing.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
You might have won the race too. He would have added about 10 percent more torque down low but possibly peaked to early and you would have drove right around him at around 80 mph I am guessing. Do you guys have the same size tire height too? That would play too.. Wish you guys shot video. Would have been a fun race to watch.
we are going to go again. he wants to get forged internals though in like the next week so I'll try to get him to race me before that so it's not unfair. and yes we do have same tire height. when I say there is a difference in off the line acceleration and sound I am not ****ting you. I am not biased either because I have LTs and love them but man I was so wrong on those shorties. yes, up top my LTs would probably let me pass him but it all depends on what kind of racing you want.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
cool. hoping you guys get a few runs in before the internal swap and looking forward to some video.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

This thread pretty much answered most of my questions. But my main question is. Did you install it or the shop? I rather do it on my own. But like to see it know more before I go blindly in. I know the duuur part about takin it apart. Lol.
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbullet2012 View Post
This thread pretty much answered most of my questions. But my main question is. Did you install it or the shop? I rather do it on my own. But like to see it know more before I go blindly in. I know the duuur part about takin it apart. Lol.
it's 2 hour job for a mechanic. it cost him $150 for install. it's easier than LTs. it took me all damn day to do LTs

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang