Car wont start... :-( - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Car wont start... :-(

Went to leave this morning in the Mustang, jump in, turn the key, click click click click, etc. is all I get. (Then the lights flashing and such)

I have electric so it can't be the battery, I'm leaning toward the starter right now? It's still under warranty so I'm not to worried, just upset that I'm going to be without my baby.

I'm not to familiar with warranty work. Does the dealer come pick the car up, or is it my responsibility to get a tow there?

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
It could still be battery brother. U might have had some charge, just not enough to crank it over. Did u leave the dome light on or something?

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

If u call, they will come and get it or u could hook a new battery to it and try to crank it.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I agree it still could be the battery mine did the same thing all my lights worked and I checked the battery and it was pulling the right volt amount to come to find out it had a bad cell in it.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Iggy is probably correct on this.

A BAD CELL

If you jump it and it starts just drive to a place to get a new battery. ""NOT WALMART"" Their batteries are so bad they will only replace the first one that goes bad. The replacement will only go bad and you will have to buy another battery. Go to Autozone or Sears or if you have a membership go to Sam's club and get a Duracell. (((NOT THE SAME AS A WALMART BATTERY}}}

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
A BAD CELL

If you jump it and it starts just drive to a place to get a new battery. ""NOT WALMART"" Their batteries are so bad they will only replace the first one that goes bad. The replacement will only go bad and you will have to buy another battery. Go to Autozone or Sears or if you have a membership go to Sam's club and get a Duracell. (((NOT THE SAME AS A WALMART BATTERY}}}

Ronnie

+1. Bad battery. Still has enough power for lights, radio etc. but not enough to start.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
If you've got a manual transmission, pop start that sucker!

After you replace your battery get the charging system tested. If you've been driving on a dead/weak cell, that puts extra strain on your alternator. If it's weak you'll wanna have that taken care of before it leaves you stranded again.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the quick help, guys. I'm out for the day, but once I get back we're going to try and jump it tonight. I'll keep this thread updated with the progress.

Would it still be worth dropping (or having them come get it) it at the dealer Monday morning and having them look at it? I don't want the alternator to go next if this is going to continue...

An outstanding DD
Old 08-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You probably don't have an alternator problem at all

It is pretty common for a battery to go bad but really having the alternator go bad is very VERY rare. Sears or Autozone can check to see if it's charging ( Usually free) when you get a battery from them. If your car is still under warranty and you have the Ford roadside assistance and want the Ford Motorcraft battery just go ahead and call them. I wouldn't worry to much about an alternator going bad due to a bad cell in the battery. The Alternators are pretty tough and do have protection from back-Shorts.

Ronnie
Old 08-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Just for the heck of it pull your battery and take to like autozone or a shop the can put a load test on it. It won't cost anything your cars a 04 right well mine is 03 if its the original battery it might be going bad.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I agree with Ronnie about the alternator I dout it's that or the starter let us know what you find out.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Just got a chance to jump it and it started no problem. I'm at sears now getting a new battery and hopefully that's the only issue.

An outstanding DD
Old 08-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Let us know about that battery
Old 08-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
When you turn your key into ignition without it turning on and all the gauges flicker and cross all the way over from one end to the other and back down usually its a sign that its a problem with just the battery. Like said you could take it to Autozone but preferably O' Reilly or somewhere else because they test the battery and give you an exact note about it
BlackSmoke02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

He went to SEAR's

They will test the charging system as well as the Battery. They are famous for having excellent die-hard batteries and great warranty's on them.

Ronnie
Old 08-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well, after Sears and Sam's not having the right battery, I ended up at Autozone for a Duralast. I have a good buddy that was working at the time I was there and he did a full test on my alternator and my battery and in fact, the battery was completely dead. (The alternator was good.) Anybody else have to replace a batter on a 2011+ model? Just seems really early to be replacing batteries...

Got the car home and replaced the battery, started right up. The car is going to sit until this evening, so when I get home I'll start it up again just to make sure it's good to go for tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help, guys. My initial diagnosis was wrong and I'm glad I have my ME community behind me!

An outstanding DD
Old 08-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
A BAD CELL

Ronnie
Duracell is great but I ONLY USE Optima.
Yellow top Optima batteries are beautiful! not water filled they use a gel, and have something like a 3 year warranty but I'VE NEVER had to replace any of my red tops in my jeeps and F150.... spend the extra $40 for something that'll last..
RocknCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I bought the battery love it pricey but well worth it.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrum04 View Post
Well, after Sears and Sam's not having the right battery, I ended up at Autozone for a Duralast. I have a good buddy that was working at the time I was there and he did a full test on my alternator and my battery and in fact, the battery was completely dead. (The alternator was good.) Anybody else have to replace a batter on a 2011+ model? Just seems really early to be replacing batteries...

Got the car home and replaced the battery, started right up. The car is going to sit until this evening, so when I get home I'll start it up again just to make sure it's good to go for tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help, guys. My initial diagnosis was wrong and I'm glad I have my ME community behind me!
Batteries are a Crap shoot, I have had OEM Batteries last for 200,000 in my 2000 Explorer and replaced the one in my 2002 Explorer at 34,000. And there really is no rhyme or reason why it fails.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
CONFUSED....

Quote:
Went to leave this morning in the Mustang, jump in, turn the key, click click click click, etc. is all I get. (Then the lights flashing and such)

I have electric so it can't be the battery, I'm leaning toward the starter right now? It's still under warranty so I'm not to worried, just upset that I'm going to be without my baby.

I'm not to familiar with warranty work. Does the dealer come pick the car up, or is it my responsibility to get a tow there?
I am a little confused. IF IT IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY, WHY DIDN'T YOU TAKE IT TO FORD AND LET THEM PUT IN A NEW ONE?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I had my battery in my 2012 replaced last month by ford. And it was covered by warranty 3 years 36 k miles it's covered
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

I am a little confused. IF IT IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY, WHY DIDN'T YOU TAKE IT TO FORD AND LET THEM PUT IN A NEW ONE?
LOL damn...
Old 08-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

If he still has the other battery he can throw it on and drive it to the dealer for replacement. Just make sure yoh make it Lol
BlackSmoke02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Def hope he didn't buy one yet lol. It should be covered.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Def hope he didn't buy one yet lol. It should be covered.
he did
Old 08-05-2013, 05:03 AM   #25
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:

Two years on the stock battery was a bit early to go...Ford may have given you a credit, as they are 4 year batteries if my memory serves when they come from the factory.
My F150's stock battery gave up after 5 years...bought a Motorcraft battery to replace it because it lasted a year over it's advertised lifespan. The parts guy there said they (Ford), like most everyone else, will "pro-rate" a battery, meaning that if it fails before its advertised rated life, they give you credit on it. So, if you had a 4 year battery fail in two years, they give you 2 years worth of credit on the purchase of the replacement battery.

Too late for you now though!
Old 08-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I'm past the standard 36k warranty and into my extended warranty that will cover me to 80k(ish). Under the extended warranty, (this is from my dealer) the battery is not covered and they wont even do a credit like Bucko was saying.

An outstanding DD

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang