Replace factory head unit with nav unit - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
In from the pre-2005 section but couldn't help but read this thread. I honestly believe that the best AND cheapest way to have a "nav" system is a smart phone and a window mount. It works wonders an super easy. I also believe that touchscreens aren't dangerous, unless you're playing a game or watching a movie

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4260795901.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	467.7 KB
ID:	122132

And you'd have to bypass the parking break which is ILLEGAL. The touchscreen is as easy to use as the knobs. The buttons don't move unless you're playing with the settings or something. Here's my setup. Aftermarket double din head unit and a windshield mount for my "GPS"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4176378902.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	500.9 KB
ID:	122133  
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I totally agree! My nexus 4 is my GPS with a window mount, but I want the sexiness of a beautiful 8" screen that looks OEM. I also agree that a touch screen is safe to use as long as your not surfing the web while driving (dumb). BTW you don't play N64 when you drive do you? Lol. Nice set-up!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #38

Region: North Carolina
For me, the 8" screen is really one of the biggest selling features I'm looking for. Manipulating the cell for nav is quite the PITA in comparison.
Jennienmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I totally agree! My nexus 4 is my GPS with a window mount, but I want the sexiness of a beautiful 8" screen that looks OEM. I also agree that a touch screen is safe to use as long as your not surfing the web while driving (dumb). BTW you don't play N64 when you drive do you? Lol. Nice set-up!
It's easy for the older cars to get the OEM look. I got a metro kit and even shave the top and bottom because of figment issues and it looks like it belongs there. The head unit for perfectly though. I don't even let my passenger play while I drive. I actually turn the screen off while I drive so just musics playing. Thanks! I was thinking about it for a while and finally went through with it this weekend!
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennienmike View Post
For me, the 8" screen is really one of the biggest selling features I'm looking for. Manipulating the cell for nav is quite the PITA in comparison.
Not to mention always ups the value of the car! Oh and did I mention it looks SEXY!!""
Old 08-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #41
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Not to mention always ups the value of the car! Oh and did I mention it looks SEXY!!""
Good luck with that. Ford added just over 2 grand for the NAV option when it was new; I doubt you'd see even half that added to the used car value.

As to sexy, well my wife is a good navigator; she's always telling me where to go...and she's sexy, so I guess you have a good point there.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Good luck with that. Ford added just over 2 grand for the NAV option when it was new; I doubt you'd see even half that added to the used car value.

As to sexy, well my wife is a good navigator; she's always telling me where to go...and she's sexy, so I guess you have a good point there.
That's why you never go with the factory upgrade, its way over priced. After market. Just like anything else you buy off the dealer.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #43
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
I'd have to agree with you there, I see way to many people texting while driving and those people end up all over the road. IMO its almost as dangerous as drinking and driving! I never text or talk when I drive a would like to think it would stay that way with a fancy pancy nav, info center.
It also amazes me how easy the NAV/DVD aftermarket head units make it to disable the lock out feature when the car is in motion. It's usually just a matter of gounding a wire. A NAV system is supposed to be set while parked. Then simply listen to the soft voice telling you when to turn.

Hey wait, my wife does that.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It also amazes me how easy the NAV/DVD aftermarket head units make it to disable the lock out feature when the car is in motion. It's usually just a matter of gounding a wire. A NAV system is supposed to be set while parked. Then simply listen to the soft voice telling you when to turn.

Hey wait, my wife does that.
Lol, my wife usually tells me to turn just after I passed the exit! Lol She's a great wife but BAD with directions! I usually have to pull over and set the GPS on my phone. After 23 years with her you figure I'd learn.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's why you never go with the factory upgrade, its way over priced. After market. Just like anything else you buy off the dealer.
Well all I can say is I did pay for the navigation package for my car and couldn't be happier, it's one of the things I always get compliments on in my car. My boyfriend ( f150 owner). Would kill for this set up in his car, sadly not available for the f150. Aftermarket items to me are iffy you rarely get what you think your getting. Maybe it's overpriced but it's awesome!
Mustanglulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglulu View Post

Well all I can say is I did pay for the navigation package for my car and couldn't be happier, it's one of the things I always get compliments on in my car. My boyfriend ( f150 owner). Would kill for this set up in his car, sadly not available for the f150. Aftermarket items to me are iffy you rarely get what you think your getting. Maybe it's overpriced but it's awesome!
I can't wait to get my NAV/DVD system. For me it was way more than I could afford when buying my car at the time, upgrade to premium than add the nav package!
Old 08-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
I am modifying a bezel or two to make a mount for a Nexus 7. Mostly because I like screwing with stuff like that.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I can't wait to get my NAV/DVD system. For me it was way more than I could afford when buying my car at the time, upgrade to premium than add the nav package!
I hear you. My payments suck!
Old 08-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #49
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
I hear you. My payments suck!
They would suck less if you waived the NAV....last I checked, this option was $2340.00 on the 2014. A premium 2014 stickered at $26,095; payments of $318.00 a month (at whatever interest rate). Add the NAV, and the payments jump to $363.00 per month.

By the time the loan is paid off, that NAV cost you even more!

Here's the link to "build it how you want it" with pricing and payments:

http://bp3.ford.com/2014-Ford-Mustang#/Packages/Config[|Ford|Mustang|2014|1|1.|200A.P8A.....COU.~YZKAA.44X.V6.PRE.]

You are correct though, it's sharp, sexy, and it likes it when you talk to it (sync).
Old 08-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They would suck less if you waived the NAV....last I checked, this option was $2340.00 on the 2014. A premium 2014 stickered at $26,095; payments of $318.00 a month (at whatever interest rate). Add the NAV, and the payments jump to $363.00 per month.

By the time the loan is paid off, that NAV cost you even more!

Here's the link to "build it how you want it" with pricing and payments:

http://bp3.ford.com/2014-Ford-Mustang#/Packages/Config[|Ford|Mustang|2014|1|1.|200A.P8A.....COU.~YZKAA.44X.V6.PRE.]

You are correct though, it's sharp, sexy, and it likes it when you talk to it (sync).
Shhhhhhhh I don't want to hear that. ( lol)
Old 08-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #51
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I never do either! I enjoy the car buying experience (mostly), but dread the financing part. To avoid that, I get pre-approved at my credit union a week before I buy.

A bit less painless.

Nice Mustang by the way!
Old 08-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
I never do either! I enjoy the car buying experience (mostly), but dread the financing part. To avoid that, I get pre-approved at my credit union a week before I buy.

A bit less painless.

Nice Mustang by the way!
Yup! I contact NFCU and get a check first. Cuts the BS down quite a bit.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

A bit less painless.

Nice Mustang by the way!
Thanks! I got a pretty good rate on my loan and I always round up to pay more towards my principle my goal is to pay it off two years early. That should save me $$ on my nav!
Old 08-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #54
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Thanks! I got a pretty good rate on my loan and I always round up to pay more towards my principle my goal is to pay it off two years early. That should save me $$ on my nav!
Wow. Smart girl, and you drive a great car! Enjoy it!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wow. Smart girl, and you drive a great car! Enjoy it!
Get a room! Lol
Old 08-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Get a room! Lol
Lol

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Lol
Mind your own business! ( Jk)
Old 08-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #57
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Lol

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

Mind your own business! ( Jk)
She has a boyfriend...I'm happily married (30 years now).

However, some of you young wipper snappers could perhaps get to know Mustanglulu...maybe even learn something!

When I met my wife, she was driving a Chevy Chevette. I still married her though.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Yea! Thanks Bucko!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang