Replace factory head unit with nav unit - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #1

Region: North Carolina
Replace factory head unit with nav unit

Hi, all! My wife and I just bought a 2013 V6 Vert Premium and I'm planning on changing out the deck in favor of a navigation unit. Anyone have any experience with this on this car? Does the Metra install kit look decent? And are there any weird things I need to know about before-hand?

Thanks!
Mike
Jennienmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
My opinion only

Get A GPS

Tearing the dash apart and sticking in something that may or may not work properly is not my idea of improving your new car. It's just asking for problems.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I'm not a big fan of the merta look with the GPS on the bottom near the shifter. I personally like something that looks OEM, but they do provide all the necessary wiring so its plug and play and it is fairly easy to remove the factory radio if your a bit handy but to me doesn't look right. I found one on eBay that's a mirror image that ford offers and I think it was 800$, I'll try to find it for you and post the link.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
+1 the Merta looks awkward. I bet it is hard to see at certain angles or times of the day too. What does Ford get for the nav radio conversion? Maybe find one out of a wrecked car on ebay IDK.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I still say getting a GPS is a better option

I have a Garmin 350 that I have been using for years. I got the mount from Amazon and it goes into the receptical on the dash.

A nice very clean look and in a perfect position. A whole lot cheaper then a Merta and not as complicated to use.

Ronnie
Old 08-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The GPS also has an 8" full touch screen, Bluetooth for those of us that don't have it and also replaces the sub par sound system that comes stock from the factory. Not to mention plays DVDs while looking great as a factory OEM part. You get quite the bang for the buck! Garmins and tom toms are good but just about all smart phones have a built in GPS that works just as good with vocal directions also and is free.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

And of coarse I can't find it now! Lol
Old 08-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You cannot put a standard double din radio in the factory location because of what is behind it. That is why the metra moves the screen so low.

I am also pretty sure that you cannot retrofit the factory nav into a car that does not have it. I don't know all the details but I think that the AC ducting is different. (Maybe can't isn't the right word but it will be very expensive)

I have been wanting to do this and I do not mind the location of the metra kit but, the touch screen climate controls makes me nervous. I wish there was a kit that would retain something like the stock AC controls.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I read that also, but I have a hard time believing ford would change duct work for the few nav systems they sell OEM. But I have not taken one apart to see for my self.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
NAV is VIN locked. If it was not available at time of manufacture, you cannot add the feature to the car with an OE headunit later.

This is absolutely STUPID in my opinion. Ford could develop a revenue stream selling OE kits after the fact. And then sell the service through their dealerships.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post
NAV is VIN locked. If it was not available at time of manufacture, you cannot add the feature to the car with an OE headunit later.

This is absolutely STUPID in my opinion. Ford could develop a revenue stream selling OE kits after the fact. And then sell the service through their dealerships.
True that....but check out this alternative!

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

There are always ways around things!
Old 08-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennienmike View Post
Hi, all! My wife and I just bought a 2013 V6 Vert Premium and I'm planning on changing out the deck in favor of a navigation unit. Anyone have any experience with this on this car? Does the Metra install kit look decent? And are there any weird things I need to know about before-hand?

Thanks!
Mike
I can't help with any of your questions however I bought mine with the navigation package and LOVE it! Love the way it looks and all the functions. My favorite being the back up camera. If your going all out consider that option as we. Hope this helps you
Mustanglulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
True that....but check out this alternative!

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

There are always ways around things!
HTS Android Multimedia Navigation System For Ford Mustang 2010-2013

Forever out of stock. And they have had their problems with QC on their units. Excellent concept and layout.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Forever out of stock. And they have had their problems with QC on their units. Excellent concept and layout.
Oh yeah? That sucks! Exactly what I want at a good price! Thanks for the link! I'm gonna keep my eye on it!!
Old 08-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #15

Continuing to look at all the options, it's seeming that (at least for now) it will be the plug-in GPS for us. I checked Crutchfield and the install kit alone is >$400! Don't want those kinds of prices quite yet. That Android alternative looks great, once they've got kinks worked out....

Thanks for all your input!
Old 08-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

NP, do you have a smartphone? Save yourself some $ and just use that!
Old 08-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #17

Yeah, have the smartphone, but when I got my F150 I dumped the factory system and dropped in a JVC touchscreen nav for about $650 all-in. Now I'm spoiled by the screen and not having to plug in my phone to keep a charge while navigating...
Old 08-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Have you thought about this one?
Amazon.com: CarShow CS-MUST10-US 2010-14 OE-Look Ford Mustang Navigation System: GPS & Navigation
Justin Credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I've seen a radio that allows the integration of an iPad and puts the ac and everything else right where the done lights in the roof and it looks pretty custom/ factory. I'd get that so I can plug my mini in
Old 08-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
I've seen a radio that allows the integration of an iPad and puts the ac and everything else right where the done lights in the roof and it looks pretty custom/ factory. I'd get that so I can plug my mini in
I have seen that too. Expensive as hell though.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Http://www.3spro.com/mustangs
Old 08-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #22

I'd seen that one, too. Very cool. Even started looking at install instructions until I thought - "Huh, I guess that ceiling unit won't work all that well on a convertible...
Old 08-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

That's very true. You'd need a LONG extension. Lol
Old 08-05-2013, 04:55 AM   #24
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I have a Garmin 350 that I have been using for years. I got the mount from Amazon and it goes into the receptical on the dash.

A nice very clean look and in a perfect position. A whole lot cheaper then a Merta and not as complicated to use.

Ronnie
I have a $99.00 TomTom, and a $19.00 charger/bracket that places it in the same location as Ronnies picture shows. The remaining coin saved can go towards other mods I would use way more often.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm gonna call them today to see what the deal is on the out of stock issue. This one is the best one I've seen so far!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
NP, do you have a smartphone? Save yourself some $ and just use that!
Agree then save up your money and do it right!
Mustanglulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

So I just got off the phone with them and they were very honest in saying they were still working out some bugs with the tablet and they do not have an eta on when it will be back in stock! : ( I WANT IT NOW! Lol
Old 08-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Why not just do what people around here do

Just place your I-Pad on your steering wheel while driving down I-4 or Route 417 or I-95. I'm sure things are so important that you really need to watch a DVD or check your E-Mail while driving down the highway.

I personally think the touch screens they have in some of these new cars are really the safest way to tune your radio or change settings on the AC and such are super safe because you only need to take your eyes off of the road for about 30 or 40 seconds to do what you need to do. They are a great idea and way better and much safer then the stupid buttons & Knobs I have in my 2012 Mustang.

Ronnie
Old 08-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Just place your I-Pad on your steering wheel while driving down I-4 or Route 417 or I-95. I'm sure things are so important that you really need to watch a DVD or check your E-Mail while driving down the highway.

I personally think the touch screens they have in some of these new cars are really the safest way to tune your radio or change settings on the AC and such are super safe because you only need to take your eyes off of the road for about 30 or 40 seconds to do what you need to do. They are a great idea and way better and much safer then the stupid buttons & Knobs I have in my 2012 Mustang.

Ronnie
I'm gonna disagree a little bit. I find the knobs safer due to being able to memorize the feel of things. I have steering wheel controls also. To look at a screen and see that it recognizes touch and does what's needed takes a little time. Least for me. I'm keeping my head unit for sync anyway. Just upgraded the speakers.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

I'm gonna disagree a little bit. I find the knobs safer due to being able to memorize the feel of things. I have steering wheel controls also. To look at a screen and see that it recognizes touch and does what's needed takes a little time. Least for me. I'm keeping my head unit for sync anyway. Just upgraded the speakers.
Lol, I think he's being sarcastic.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ronnie
Sorry, I'm looking for an OEM look! Lol
Old 08-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
So I just got off the phone with them and they were very honest in saying they were still working out some bugs with the tablet and they do not have an eta on when it will be back in stock! : ( I WANT IT NOW! Lol
They can take my money now as well. Maybe if we get enough people together, we can get them to so a group buy.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohncarlson View Post

They can take my money now as well. Maybe if we get enough people together, we can get them to so a group buy.
Good idea! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Its the best OEM looking system I've seen. I would order it now (wife permitting) if they had it back in stock. But I'd rather wait a little longer for them to iron out the bugs. I know some people (Ronnie) don't see a point to having it but I'm a tech freak and can't help it! Lol. Besides it will look bi+chin!!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #34
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

White you sure are correct on this

Fast Ford said"
Quote:
I think he's being sarcastic.
He was almost right, I was just trying to say" What the hell causes so many stupid accidents"? It was bad enough trying to stay away from the idiots TEXTING while driving and now we got people paying more attention to a stupid Touch Screen then the Highway.

I have been getting up at 4:am to take a drive due to not much traffic and have noticed quite a few MORONS with the I-Pads resting on their steering wheel while doing 30MPH on the Interstates, Usually taking up two lanes with there car weaving about.

White when I said you was correct I meant it.

Quote:
I'm gonna disagree a little bit. I find the knobs safer due to being able to memorize the feel of things. I have steering wheel controls also. To look at a screen and see that it recognizes touch and does what's needed takes a little time. Least for me.
At least with the knobs you really don't have to take your eyes off the road. The steering wheel controls are great.

What the hell ever happened to the joy of driving and listening to some great sounds on the radio along with the great sounds of a good muffler set-up??????

Ronnie
Old 08-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Fast Ford said"

He was almost right, I was just trying to say" What the hell causes so many stupid accidents"? It was bad enough trying to stay away from the idiots TEXTING while driving and now we got people paying more attention to a stupid Touch Screen then the Highway.

I have been getting up at 4:am to take a drive due to not much traffic and have noticed quite a few MORONS with the I-Pads resting on their steering wheel while doing 30MPH on the Interstates, Usually taking up two lanes with there car weaving about.

White when I said you was correct I meant it.

At least with the knobs you really don't have to take your eyes off the road. The steering wheel controls are great.

What the hell ever happened to the joy of driving and listening to some great sounds on the radio along with the great sounds of a good muffler set-up??????

Ronnie
I'd have to agree with you there, I see way to many people texting while driving and those people end up all over the road. IMO its almost as dangerous as drinking and driving! I never text or talk when I drive a would like to think it would stay that way with a fancy pancy nav, info center.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang