What type of gas is everyone using? - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Here's an option

Run 93 octane, and 50/50 meth Injection
It's like running 116 octane race gas
The car won't adjust for that much timing, but if you're tuned, then that's worth a lot of power, especially if you have F/I. Plus it cools down your engine.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #72
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknCali View Post

wrong again.
How am I wrong again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post

I wonder where they get this stuff? Variable timing is on the GT and V6. Logic says it will make a difference.
Such an insignificant difference, I promise you any power boost is in your head.

Where do you get your logic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknCali View Post

ol' men stuck in their ways lol
I'm not that old smart ***.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post

Unless your car is tuned to run on 91, it won't make a difference.
You will get marginal gains running something like 93 octane in theses engines. They are NOT like old school engines that don't advance timing or spark automatically.
http://v6mustangperformance.com/news...ine-explained/
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #74
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I especially liked these two parts of the article:

This:

"And, speaking of oil, you won’t have to reach for the left-front-mounted oil filter or drain the sump of the die-cast deep-sump aluminum oil pan of its 5W-20 oil for 10,000 miles, a 33-percent improvement over the usual 7,500-mile interval. This is an advantage brought about by continuous analysis of driving cycles (Ford says almost all of its engines will be 10,000-milers by 2012)."

And this:

"Finally, the V-6 Mustang gets dual exhaust! What this means in performance terms is that, if the owner uses premium or race gas on weekends, the engine should make considerably more power and torque than the numbers quoted here, which are the product of standard SAE dynamometer laboratory testing procedures and not real-world driving. "
Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #75
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
This thread has compelled me to experiment. I'm going to run this tank of 87 as far down as I dare to go then fill up with premium.

I have baseline numbers for my car bone stock on 87 at the drag strip. I'll see if any of my numbers improve with the premium.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxPIKExx View Post
I haven't seen Ethanol free gas in years it feels like, or maybe I've just gotten so used to the "up to 10%" sticker that I've stopped even paying attention. Is there certain brands or stores that carry 100% gas, or is it hit or miss?
If you are lucky you may have a station near you...
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #77
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
This thread has compelled me to experiment. I'm going to run this tank of 87 as far down as I dare to go then fill up with premium.

I have baseline numbers for my car bone stock on 87 at the drag strip. I'll see if any of my numbers improve with the premium.
You should. Get your current fuel down as low as possible then only add 5 gallons of premium. Run that as low as possible then tank up on a full tank of premium.

Oh, the last time you ran at the drag strip, how full was your tank? Remember, gasoline is heavy you'd wanna have as much fuel as you had when you last ran.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtmoto View Post

If you are lucky you may have a station near you...
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
This is the link I was referring to earlier. Will be saving to my favorites. Thanks for reposting.
Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Stay away from BP, they had massive recalls in Indiana an Illinois. Messed a lot of cars up.
Yep, that happened just recently. One guy had the engine of his almost brand spankin' new truck destroyed from bad gas. And BP refused to replace it, because they didn't think the two were related.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #80
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post

You should. Get your current fuel down as low as possible then only add 5 gallons of premium. Run that as low as possible then tank up on a full tank of premium.

Oh, the last time you ran at the drag strip, how full was your tank? Remember, gasoline is heavy you'd wanna have as much fuel as you had when you last ran.
Yeah, I waited to go to the track until I had a little under a quarter tank left. So I was pretty low on purpose.

Thanks for the tip on doing the 5 gallon thing and then the full tank.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxPIKExx View Post

I haven't seen Ethanol free gas in years it feels like, or maybe I've just gotten so used to the "up to 10%" sticker that I've stopped even paying attention. Is there certain brands or stores that carry 100% gas, or is it hit or miss?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post

A few weeks ago someone posted a link to a site that had it broken down by city and state with the stations. Can't remember what thread it was in. Anyone else remember seeing it?
It was me I was just about to post it anyways. I always use ethanol free 93 octane in my 3.7 and the boss.

http://pure-gas.org
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah, I waited to go to the track until I had a little under a quarter tank left. So I was pretty low on purpose.

Do you have 93 where you are? If not maybe try a bottle of octane boost to add to the 91 when you make your runs. I'm interested in your findings.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Since I'm hearing both that it will make a difference and that it won't make a difference.. I'm gonna fill up today with 91 and see if it makes a difference at all.
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post

It was me I was just about to post it anyways. I always use ethanol free 93 octane in my 3.7 and the boss.

http://pure-gas.org
I can only find 90 octane ethanol free
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutBKR View Post
Since I'm hearing both that it will make a difference and that it won't make a difference.. I'm gonna fill up today with 91 and see if it makes a difference at all.
I notice a difference. Its minimal but there. It took about 1/4 tank of 93 to actually notice something. None of you guys (except black on boss)have 93 or 94 around where you live??? Wtf! 91 is not much more of a gain over 87!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #86
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:

O.K., I'll bite; why just 5 gallons first of premium, run it down, then a full tank of premium? Does the 5 gallons help rid the tank somehow of the lower octane that's still in the tank?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I notice a difference. Its minimal but there. It took about 1/4 tank of 93 to actually notice something. None of you guys (except black on boss)have 93 or 94 around where you live??? Wtf! 91 is not much more of a gain over 87!
I fill up with 85 not 87. So I would guess 85 to 91 is a noticeable difference.. But I may be wrong.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Almost every station I've seen has 93 around here but only 1 or 2 that are ethanol free.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko
O.K., I'll bite; why just 5 gallons first of premium, run it down, then a full tank of premium? Does the 5 gallons help rid the tank somehow of the lower octane that's still in the tank?
Yes, that's what I did when I switched from 87/93.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutBKR

I fill up with 85 not 87. So I would guess 85 to 91 is a noticeable difference.. But I may be wrong.
Jesus! 85 octane? I thought the lowest was 87 o.0

Sure it's 85?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

Yes, that's what I did when I switched from 87/93.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Jesus! 85 octane? I thought the lowest was 87 o.0

Sure it's 85?
Positive. We have 85 87 & 91.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutBKR View Post

Positive. We have 85 87 & 91.
Garbage gas. I wouldn't put that in my weed Wacker
Old 08-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #92
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
I do. That wacker is cutting the grass almost twice as fast as the 87 I used to put into it.

Freakin' grass flys all over the place.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Think I'm gonna start filling her up with 91 from now on.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #94
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I'm thinking of installing some "C" stripes on the weed wacker....what do you think?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I'm thinking of installing some "C" stripes on the weed wacker....what do you think?
Now you're just ***** with me lmao

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

Go for it
Old 08-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #96
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
So say you have a bottle of Gatorade, and there is a 25% of your Gatorade left. If you were to just fill the rest with water you would have a mixture of 75% water and 25% Gatorade.

Instead of doing that, you could take that 25% Gatorade and add 25% water to your bottle. It will be half full (I'm an optimist) with a 50/50 mix of Gatorade and water. So then you drink it down to 25% again and then fill it up all the way with water. You now will now have 12.5% Gatorade and 87.5% water. It will be more diluted.

I believe that's what the logic is. This is with the assumption that it is completely homogeneous and no other variables involved.

Quote:
Do you have 93 where you are? If not maybe try a bottle of octane boost to add to the 91 when you make your runs. I'm interested in your findings.
I'm actually not sure what flavors we have around here. I've always just pushed the regular 87 button without giving it a second though. I'll have to check it out though.
VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #97
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Good explaination. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #98
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

No problem!

I've definitely reached my thinking quota for this week though...and it's only Tuesday. Gonna be a long week.
VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #99
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
No problem!

I've definitely reached my thinking quota for this week though...and it's only Tuesday. Gonna be a long week.
Yea, my head hurts too, frum al dis thinkun I hav had ta do.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

So I posted this question wondering if using the cheaper gas would have long term effects in my car and even though I never really got the answer I was looking for I ran my tank dry and filled it with a 93 octane and to me my car just seems more alert and quicker to respond. That is my take and am very curious what you others think. Keep me posted , and no I do not work for a gasoline company!
Mustanglulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

I'm no expert but in my mind, better fuel equals longer life. And the mpg and power increase is worth it even if the engine wear/life is the same.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglulu View Post
So I posted this question wondering if using the cheaper gas would have long term effects in my car and even though I never really got the answer I was looking for I ran my tank dry and filled it with a 93 octane and to me my car just seems more alert and quicker to respond. That is my take and am very curious what you others think. Keep me posted , and no I do not work for a gasoline company!
+1, me 2. I've never gone with 91 that some people are trying but I can agree with you that 93 feels like better throttle response and a little peppier.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #103
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglulu View Post
If by cheaper gas you mean lower octane, then no, it will have no ill effects on your car. The Ford engineers designed the 3.7 to run with 87 octane. I ran 51 thousand miles on 87 octane before I added a tune that required 91 octane. While I enjoy the added fun this tune has provided me with, i'd have no problem or fears putting it back to stock and running it with the 87 octane again.

You have now experienced what the higher octane has done for you, and without a tune. In your opinion, is it worth paying extra for the "alertness and quickness to respond?
Old 08-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Good question. I'm going to continue with a higher octane for a few more tanks before deciding. I would say yes to a weekend joy ride back and forth to work? Maybe not
Mustanglulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

So say you have a bottle of Gatorade, and there is a 25% of your Gatorade left. If you were to just fill the rest with water you would have a mixture of 75% water and 25% Gatorade.

Instead of doing that, you could take that 25% Gatorade and add 25% water to your bottle. It will be half full (I'm an optimist) with a 50/50 mix of Gatorade and water. So then you drink it down to 25% again and then fill it up all the way with water. You now will now have 12.5% Gatorade and 87.5% water. It will be more diluted.

I believe that's what the logic is. This is with the assumption that it is completely homogeneous and no other variables involved.

I'm actually not sure what flavors we have around here. I've always just pushed the regular 87 button without giving it a second though. I'll have to check it out though.
Gatorade and water is the best combo for the body as it distributes the electrolytes. 3:1 ratio yo. Js. I use 93 octane on stock tune. Better mpg and less throttle lag. Also a cleaner engine meaning durability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang