car choices for first driver - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #1

Region: Rhode Island
car choices for first driver

So I'm a teen and I'm looking to start saving for my first car. I want a car that is quick and looks good. So I was looking at the 2011 v6 mustang coupe, genesis coupe 2010 coupe, camaro coupe 2010-11, dodge charger 2011, or 2011 challenger. Could you rank those 1-5? Also, I heard of SCT programmers that would let me control my mph and rpm limits. Does anyone know more about those? It would narrow my decision just a bit. Thanks in advance
_Wilson11_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
A handheld tuner would help with tuning your car to be quicker and yes you could take off the speed limiter but the mustang driveshaft is not a one piece aluminum therefore cannot handle high speeds around 130 mph.... But that's the v6 one... Anyway your coming to a mustang forum to ask what's the best car for you... I think we are very bias but I do like a few of those cars...
1 mustang
2 genesis coupe
3 challenger
4 camaro
5 charger

... Good luck
Aruiz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Wilson11_
So I'm a teen and I'm looking to start saving for my first car. I want a car that is quick and looks good. So I was looking at the 2011 v6 mustang coupe, genesis coupe 2010 coupe, camaro coupe 2010-11, dodge charger 2011, or 2011 challenger. Could you rank those 1-5? Also, I heard of SCT programmers that would let me control my mph and rpm limits. Does anyone know more about those? It would narrow my decision just a bit. Thanks in advance
Bro...your on a mustang forum. What do you expect us to say? But honestly, being non-biased, the mustang would be your best bang for your buck. Low low 20's for a brand new car with 305 hp stock and 30+ mpg , it's really a steal man. And yes, a SCT tuner can change your speed limiter/rpm limiter.
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #4

I guess I should have asked besides the mustang because it is my favorite. The SCT is to limit speeds just in case I feel like testing the car out on the highway and totaling it
Old 08-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
2011 v6 + will crush all those.
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Haha, if anyone on here votes Mustang below #1, there account will be voided

#1-Mustang (great power, awesome MPG, tons of aftermarket parts, huge fan crowd, classic name and styling.

#2-Genesis(3.8?) (Good power, great handling, limited aftermarket parts, styling.. eh)

#3-Camaro (Good power, not as good MPG as mustang, handling is good, featured in a movie.. )

#4-Charger (Alright power, decent styling, 4 doors, too be honest... nothing too special)

#5-Challenger (Lets be honest.. this car isn't challenging anyone It's the overweight, lazy cousin of the muscle car family. Only when you get into the SRT8 version does it start moving. Has the most room out of the 2 doors)

Hope this helps, buts it's just an opinion.
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer View Post
Haha, if anyone on here votes Mustang below #1, there account will be voided

#1-Mustang (great power, awesome MPG, tons of aftermarket parts, huge fan crowd, classic name and styling.

#2-Genesis(3.8?) (Good power, great handling, limited aftermarket parts, styling.. eh)

#3-Camaro (Good power, not as good MPG as mustang, handling is good, featured in a movie.. )

#4-Charger (Alright power, decent styling, 4 doors, too be honest... nothing too special)

#5-Challenger (Lets be honest.. this car isn't challenging anyone It's the overweight, lazy cousin of the muscle car family. Only when you get into the SRT8 version does it start moving. Has the most room out of the 2 doors)

Hope this helps, buts it's just an opinion.
Yeah the only reason the charger is in this discussion is because its 4 door, at least 290 HP, and it still looks pretty good to me. Are the challenger and charger better in durability due to their weight like Volvo? Or are they heavy for other reasons?
Old 08-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

Bro...your on a mustang forum. What do you expect us to say? But honestly, being non-biased, the mustang would be your best bang for your buck. Low low 20's for a brand new car with 305 hp stock and 30+ mpg , it's really a steal man. And yes, a SCT tuner can change your speed limiter/rpm limiter.
+10000
Old 08-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Or get a new edge GT and have a lot of money left over for modding
Coltonhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltonhess View Post
Or get a new edge GT and have a lot of money left over for modding
I'd love to except its a first car and as a teen I'm already at a disadvantage so I'd rather stay with v6s at most and at least that turbocharged gen coupe v4 with 274 HP, if not the 3.8. V6s for combination of mpg, safety, enough power, and good looks
Old 08-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
The mustang fan says mustang. Obviously.

However, the practical parent part of my brain say get the charger. Insurance will cost less. Mostly because it has 4 doors.

The Hyundai is nice and is tied for third with the camaro.

The challenger is nice and as much a "classic" as the mustang as far as styling goes.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post
The mustang fan says mustang. Obviously.

However, the practical parent part of my brain say get the charger. Insurance will cost less. Mostly because it has 4 doors.

The Hyundai is nice and is tied for third with the camaro.

The challenger is nice and as much a "classic" as the mustang as far as styling goes.
Really, at this point its mustang, charger, camaro, genesis, challenger so our opinions are about the same
Old 08-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Another thing to consider is cost to insure.

I have a 2013 Hyundai that costs $103/month to insure. The Mustang, with absolutely identical policy, costs $75/month.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

You better get an idea on how much your insurance will cost you first. That may shoot your idea down to begin with. Find out from your parents how much it will cost to have added to their insurance policy. Now I know you don't have a specific car in mind, but your parent's agent should be able to get you a ball park figure.

You might have to settle for a little compact car. But Dependable wheels are a lot better than one that is always broken down.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
If you are a teenager the mustang or any 2 door is going to cost more to insure. The older the car the cheaper your insurance.
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfan100 View Post
If you are a teenager the mustang or any 2 door is going to cost more to insure. The older the car the cheaper your insurance.
Not necessarily. They take in consideration the size of the engine when you're that young too. I'm 24 and it would of been double what I'm paying now to go with ANY year GT compared to my 11' 3.7. Put everything into consideration for a kid his age, (MPG, insurance, cost of repair, mods, etc.) and our generation 3.7s is a outstanding vehicle.

I was in the same boat a couple years ago. I honestly really liked the Genesis Coupe and if the dealer wasn't such a ****** that day, I would be driving the 11' 3.8 R-Spec. The Mustang felt more powerful off the line and I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on the Genesis that day.

IMO, The Camaro exterior looks great, but that's the only positive thing about that car. Interior looks like trash, blind spots everywhere, rocky ride, just a overall bad car to drive as a DD.

Coming to a Mustang forum, you're going to get Mustang answers with out a doubt, but in reality, it's the truth.

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrum04 View Post
Not necessarily. They take in consideration the size of the engine when you're that young too. I'm 24 and it would of been double what I'm paying now to go with ANY year GT compared to my 11' 3.7. Put everything into consideration for a kid his age, (MPG, insurance, cost of repair, mods, etc.) and our generation 3.7s is a outstanding vehicle.

I was in the same boat a couple years ago. I honestly really liked the Genesis Coupe and if the dealer wasn't such a ****** that day, I would be driving the 11' 3.8 R-Spec. The Mustang felt more powerful off the line and I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on the Genesis that day.

IMO, The Camaro exterior looks great, but that's the only positive thing about that car. Interior looks like trash, blind spots everywhere, rocky ride, just a overall bad car to drive as a DD.

Coming to a Mustang forum, you're going to get Mustang answers with out a doubt, but in reality, it's the truth.
Right now for me its mustang and charger, the genesis is a far third with the camaro, and the challenger has no hope. I just don't have a feel for how retro it is if that makes sense. And its muscle, but its not very sporty looking
Old 08-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
Handling wise, the Genesis is your best option. The mustang would probably be a little quicker in the straight line though.
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
1) mustang

2) genesis

3) challenger- even though it is the slowest, most boaty of the retros

4) camaro- tail lights look retarded. A friend of mine owns one, she bought it new 2 years ago and it broke down last week after it had been burning 4 quarts of oil a month

5) charger- the new ones look really dumb. I don't know why they changed them and made them look like a Barbie car.
lllTRADEMARKlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfan100 View Post
You could put yourself as a secondary and pay significantly less (assuming your parent put themselves as a primary)
I'm paying 400/ 6 months for full coverage

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Wilson11_ View Post

Right now for me its mustang and charger, the genesis is a far third with the camaro, and the challenger has no hope. I just don't have a feel for how retro it is if that makes sense. And its muscle, but its not very sporty looking
Think of it this way
The charger is 4 doors and alot heavier
Plus more people are going to ask for rides because you can comfortably fit 5
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

You could put yourself as a secondary and pay significantly less (assuming your parent put themselves as a primary)
I'm paying 400/ 6 months for full coverage

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Think of it this way
The charger is 4 doors and alot heavier
Plus more people are going to ask for rides because you can comfortably fit 5
400 for 6 months!?!? Holy ***** that's cheap!
Old 08-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

A Mustang or Corvette is a Staple of "AMERICA"

One good thing about a Mustang is--- Like a Corvette you are usually accepted in almost any car show or cruise-in. ( At least that is how it is around here) Exceptions are when an event has a year cut off such as 74 or older. I have yet to see a Jap car no matter how good it handles be allowed to cruise with the Street/Musclecar people.

I have a V6 3.7 and have never been turned away from a cruise-in or car show.

The cars on this list are all good cars but only the MUSTANG has what I love about car's
1) mustang

2) genesis

3) challenger- even though it is the slowest, most boaty of the retros

4) camaro- tail lights look retarded. A friend of mine owns one, she bought it new 2 years ago and it broke down last week after it had been burning 4 quarts of oil a month

5) charger- the new ones look really dumb. I don't know why they changed them and made them look like a Barbie car.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

1- Mustang
2- Challenger
3- Camaro
4- Charger
5- I don't do rice
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yup
Went from 700
Swapped insurance, bundled everything and I'm at 400
Old 08-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I thought I should add my thoughts since I was in your same spot 5 months ago. I'm 16 and decided to go with the 2012 3.7 for a couple reasons. Our insurance agent said a car that was at least 2-3 years old will be cheaper. Also, gettin a newer car you will have more safety features than the older ones. The 3.7 has a pretty nice power output and great mpg for this type of car. Also you can get it ford certified, which is a great added warranty to the factory one. Plus the looks of the newer Mustangs made me shell out the monies. I'd say go with a 2010, 2011, or 2012 Mustang.

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMoney View Post
I thought I should add my thoughts since I was in your same spot 5 months ago. I'm 16 and decided to go with the 2012 3.7 for a couple reasons. Our insurance agent said a car that was at least 2-3 years old will be cheaper. Also, gettin a newer car you will have more safety features than the older ones. The 3.7 has a pretty nice power output and great mpg for this type of car. Also you can get it ford certified, which is a great added warranty to the factory one. Plus the looks of the newer Mustangs made me shell out the monies. I'd say go with a 2010, 2011, or 2012 Mustang.
Don't go with a 2010 Haha, those 4.0's are a joke compared to the 3.7's. 2011+
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer View Post
Don't go with a 2010 Haha, those 4.0's are a joke compared to the 3.7's. 2011+
Those are a joke period, they have mpg like newer v8s and
yet have way less power
Old 08-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Wilson11_

Those are a joke period, they have mpg like newer v8s and
yet have way less power
+1 the 4.0 is just an outdated truck motor
Old 08-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

+1 the 4.0 is just an outdated truck motor
You said it. Good in its prime but waaaaay outdated now!!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
You said it. Good in its prime but waaaaay outdated now!!
Good in its prime as in before the camaro and challenger were revived
Old 08-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Wilson11_ View Post

Good in its prime as in before the camaro and challenger were revived
I meant before the dinosaurs went extinct! Lol
Old 08-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

haha yeah! he must be like 80 years old...

I'm 25 and my v6 costs 121 a month. when I was 24 it would've been a little over 200... being in your teens your parents should expect about $2500 a year for your insurance and you WILL be involved in a wreck...
RocknCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknCali View Post

I'm 25 and my v6 costs 121 a month. when I was 24 it would've been a little over 200... being in your teens your parents should expect about $2500 a year for your insurance and you WILL be involved in a wreck...
Lol. Nice vote of confidence.

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

Quote:

In 28 and mine costs 145.00 although that is with 2 people and one of them has totaled a few car. She doesn't ever get to drive Bianca though, just for the "in case of emergency" argument that she made it on the registration. Lol
lllTRADEMARKlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hitting two years and 0 wrecks :p
Nothing that raises Insurance really
Old 08-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

Hitting two years and 0 wrecks :p
Nothing that raises Insurance really
Full coverage with replacement 890$/ year.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang