help needed for gas issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Asia
help needed for gas issue

Hi guys.. I'm new here and new to mustangs. I've searched the forum for this issue but no one seems to have this as bad as I do.. bad gas mileage.. I'm getting about 10 mpg average.. it's a 2010 v6, bone stock and has just over 35000 miles on the clock. I've changed the air filter, cleaned the maf sensor with sensor cleaner, nothing seems to work... Don't have any starting issues, don't have any idling issues, I use 95octane gas. I changed the oil with motorcraft semi synth about 250 miles back. Dunno what to do.. a full tank gets me just over 180 miles. It's driving me insane. Checked for errors using an obd2 scanner, ecu ain't throwing any codes. All sensors read green. Any ideas gents n ladies? Please help...
romeshs1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Geez...you sure its that low?
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yeah bro that's ridiculously low! BTW welcome!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Holy crap, 10 mpg! That's like a semi-truck. There is something definitely wrong with your car, unless your red lining it 24/7, I'd get it checked out!
Old 08-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Fuel filter? Have you replaced that yet? It can affect fuel economy. Not expensive at all.

Also, how long has it been happening? You don't 95 octane either in most cases, unless she's pinging bad.

I would do the following:
Fuel Filter
Spark Plugs
Check driveline for problems and proper lubrication
Change gas stations (if you can)
Have the car looked at by Ford or a trusted mechanic
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Try different gas vendor
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Old spark plugs waste more gas than you can imagine!
Fat Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #8

I feel better about the mileage I'm getting in my F-150 Lariat now, though! I'm getting a whopping 14.5 in that!
Jennienmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

About the gas, my only choices are 95 and 98. I live in Dubai. Was also thinking of the plugs. Can it affect mpg that much though? I kinda baby the thing around town most of the time. But, when I do go wot, it's like a bat out of hell. I pulled on a challenger srt 8 recently. So was thinking either it was a really awful driver, or my car might have got a tune done by previous owner. But I bought it off a girl, so not sure bout that. Will change plugs.. again, can it affect mpg by that much? By the way, it's an auto.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

And also, mileage seems worse after I changed my air filter. Motorcraft original from ford...
Old 08-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeshs1983 View Post
About the gas, my only choices are 95 and 98. I live in Dubai. Was also thinking of the plugs. Can it affect mpg that much though? I kinda baby the thing around town most of the time. But, when I do go wot, it's like a bat out of hell. I pulled on a challenger srt 8 recently. So was thinking either it was a really awful driver, or my car might have got a tune done by previous owner. But I bought it off a girl, so not sure bout that. Will change plugs.. again, can it affect mpg by that much? By the way, it's an auto.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

And also, mileage seems worse after I changed my air filter. Motorcraft original from ford...
Dubai?? Shouldn't you be driving a Ferrari? Lol At 10c a gallon does it really matter?? Lmao. Jk jk.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Cool...I want to visit Dubai one day.
Back on topic...
Plugs can affect performance and fuel economy. If you know a Ford dealer in the area, they can check out the computer for you regarding the tune.

Do the simple ignition and fuel delivery maintenance things first. You did air and oil already.

Give her a good once over and follow the maintenance guides for your car/miles. You'll have a good baseline at the very least before assuming anything worse is needed.

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

Maybe someone else can chime in on that year.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks bro.. will do the fuel filter n plugs.. hope it solves the issue. Only other thing I can think about is that the tank is leaking. I've checked once.. will chk again.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks bro.. will do the fuel filter n plugs.. hope it solves the issue. Only other thing I can think about is that the tank is leaking. I've checked once.. will chk again.
If you have a fuel leak you would definitely smell it. At Wot do you see any black smoke?
Old 08-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Nope.. no smoke at all.. and no smell of gas. This gas thing is driving me insane...
Old 08-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nobody babies their car in the Middle East! I loved living there cause you pretty much drove however you wanted wherever you wanted
Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Quote:
I know the 2011 and up mustangs do not have fuel filter that can be replaced .
Not 100% on the 2010 with it having a different motor . Check The manual to be sure or someone will chime in shortly .
Good luck with finding the issue though.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:32 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys, could the fact that my car seems to be leaking coolant have something to do with the insanely low mpg? Car has never overheated, but coolant reservoir is always empty...
Old 08-06-2013, 06:16 AM   #18
Admin

Supporter
Admin

No coolent puddles when the Mustang is parked? If no, then you may have a head gasket issue, and that could be a culpret in your low fuel mileage as well. If a head gasket is blown, it could cause white smoke in the tail pipe, or a squeaky clean plug (or two). If none of these are apparent, then have the coolant system pressure checked by a shop that specializes in coolent issues to find the source of that coolant loss.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

No puddles that ive noticed.. but no white smoke either.. planning on checking the system today.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #20
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
No puddles that ive noticed.. but no white smoke either.. planning on checking the system today.
At this point, it would be your best. Make sure the shop performs a pressur test. They pressurize the coolant system to find the leak.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Attachment 122280

Is this your car?
Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
How many miles is your power train warranty, not bumper to bumper, in 2011 and up its 5 years 60,000 miles so the dealer should fix it under warranty, my thought is catalytic converter. I remeber reading that if you use too high of an octane of gas not all of it gets burned and goes into your cats and then gets burned and eventually causes the catalytic converter to fail, although with a failed cat you would notice severe power loss and unusal noise, my 2012 had a cat converter go bad at 24,000 miles and I had been using 91 octane, maybe I just had a bad cat from the factory or maybe it was the gas, who knows
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I found the coolant leak. It's from something that looks like a distributor. Just under the tb. The screws are all tight n secure so I am assuming the gasket is busted. Will get that replaced today.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Post a pic of the leak. It will help.

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

This is what my dash says... Will post pics of the leak..

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130806_184934.png
Views:	145
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	122310
Old 08-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Pics of the leak...

Name:	ForumRunner_20130806_185641.png
Views:	138
Size:	345.9 KB
ID:	122311

Name:	ForumRunner_20130806_185652.png
Views:	133
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	122312
Old 08-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys... Any advice us most appreciated..
Old 08-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #28
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I had to go back to your first post to notice this is a 2010 V6, and not the 3.7 V6 used in the 2011's and up.

Good you identified the leak! You'll save a few dollars by not requiring a diagnosis. I'd have the coolant system flushed while your at it, since they will have to drain down the coolant to make that repair. I'm guessing it's just as hot where you are as it is here in Florida this time of year. Good time to have that 3 year old coolant changed out, and have the rest of the system cleaned and ready to go another few years.

And ak stang may be onto something...maybe the catalitic converters are plugged or getting clogged up. Have them checked out as well; that could lead to the poor gas mileage. Is it common to have the better gases cause this problem in your home town?

let us know the final outcome.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I used to have 96 eclipse turbo and ran 98 on it. Didn't have any issues. But will get the cats chkd anyway. Thanks guys... And change the plugs anyway... Will update here. Maybe will get it done tmrw.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Go to your dealer and let them check out your program.

It sure ain't a fuel filter, (Gas is getting thru)

I know at the extreme heat you live in will cause you to use more gas then we do in the states. ( unless in death valley ) Gas is less dense in hot weather and will cause your engine to use more then in cold weather. ( Ask NASCAR or any Racer ) You really need to find a Ford dealer and get the computer checked out. I know the 2010's won't get as good of MPG as a 2011 up 3.7 but ten miles to a gallon is just not right.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #31
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
It sure ain't a fuel filter, (Gas is getting thru)

I know at the extreme heat you live in will cause you to use more gas then we do in the states. ( unless in death valley ) Gas is less dense in hot weather and will cause your engine to use more then in cold weather. ( Ask NASCAR or any Racer ) You really need to find a Ford dealer and get the computer checked out. I know the 2010's won't get as good of MPG as a 2011 up 3.7 but ten miles to a gallon is just not right.

Ronnie
Unless their gallon is like 1/5 of our gallon!

Remember that Canadian post last week? We all thought our Mustangs in the states had some queer tune from the factory when the guy from Canada said he was getting well over 450 miles to the tank. Then we found out that 1 U.S. mile equals 1.6 kilometers.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Very good point Bucko

I always think in terms of American Gallons and American Miles. All other measurements are Forign to me.

Ronnie
Old 08-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Lol.. just to avoid confusion, I am infact talking about American gallons...
Old 08-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #34
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Ten Miles to a gallon is really bad.

I sure hope you let us know how you make out at your dealer getting the codes read on your CPU. I'm almost positive it ain't a Fuel Filter or Spark Plugs. If a Cat or any obstruction in the exhaust would cause the car to run and sound like POOP. NO, I think you are having a fuel injector type problem or the previous owner screwed something up.
Ronnie
Old 08-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

You might be right... I sure hope not. The dealer here is super expensive... Car runs fine. I can leave a 50 foot layer of rubber with traction off and about 20 with it on. Not that I do it regularly... Other than the fuel economy being ****, it's runs perfectly...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang