Help with paint - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Help with paint

Greetings everyone, I'm the proud new owner of a 2012 premium v6 mustang that I believe I got for a steal of a deal, however I've had some issue with my paint occur and wanted to know if anyone had any remedies

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1283795150.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	122208

first is a paint chip rust spot located on the roof above the drivers side. what can be to fix this?

Name:	image-198404846.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	353.2 KB
ID:	122209

second is this chip found on the front bumper cause by highway materials popping up, are there any ways to fix & prevent this other than a bug cover?

Name:	image-3289488458.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	122210

last is this sort of stain, as much as I rub and wipe it just won't come out. does anyone know how to get it out?

sorry if these are real simple questions, I'm a first time car owner as well so please go easy.

thanks guys
lsufan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 02:47 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Body shop or touch up paint for the chips and try a good car wash and a clay bar and some wax for the stain

---------- Post added at 01:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 AM ----------

The rust I would have a shop look at
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsufan20 View Post
Greetings everyone, I'm the proud new owner of a 2012 premium v6 mustang that I believe I got for a steal of a deal, however I've had some issue with my paint occur and wanted to know if anyone had any remedies

first is a paint chip rust spot located on the roof above the drivers side. what can be to fix this?

second is this chip found on the front bumper cause by highway materials popping up, are there any ways to fix & prevent this other than a bug cover?

last is this sort of stain, as much as I rub and wipe it just won't come out. does anyone know how to get it out?

sorry if these are real simple questions, I'm a first time car owner as well so please go easy.

thanks guys
For the rust, I recommend naval jelly
It should et rid of your rust
Used it on a friends car.
Seal it with primer and use touch up paint
I recommend spraying the primer in something and applying it with the corner f a piece of paper. To avoid overdoing it
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 06:01 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:

Attachment 122208

Attachment 122209

Attachment 122210

thanks guys
So much for that "steal of a deal".

There are a few of those touch up paint kits out there, such as Dr. Colorchip that have had good success, but I would not use it on the chip that has already begun to rust, that will need to be sanded (get all the rust out, then primed, then painted and blend. That one will most likely need a body shop.

As to protection, you can by one of those nose bra kits, but I'm not a big fan of them; a pain to install/remove whenever it rains, or you want to wash the car. Most buyers of them use them for awhile, then they end up in the corner of a garage.

I'd check under the car for rust. Seems either you or that mustang came from a northern state or Canada where maybe salt was used on the roads. The body usually does not rust like that when a chip in the paint occurs.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If you want protection. 3m makes a clear bra for our cars
Old 08-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #6
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfan100 View Post
If you want protection. 3m makes a clear bra for our cars
I've heard they yellow after awhile in the sun.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:19 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure about that but I do know that they look like a rainbow through polarized sunglasses
Old 08-08-2013, 03:29 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I would sand that rust off and paint it theres only one way to get ride of rust
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66 View Post
I would sand that rust off and paint it theres only one way to get ride of rust
Naval jelly
That purple stuff
Works wonders
It gets rid o most of the rust, we see that stuff twice, then we sanded very lightly. Then primed and sealed it :p
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

thanks guys
Not trying to be nosy but what do you consider a deal?
Big_red502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Cause I also just bought one and thought I got a deal
Big_red502 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang