Looking to buy 2014 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #1

Region: Illinois
Looking to buy 2014

Hey all, new guy here. I am looking at buying a 2014 Mustang and had a few questions. I am looking to get a v6 manual with the performance package.

Question 1: Is the trans in these reliable? I have seen the early model manuals have problems with the trans, but is that all resolved? I liked how the trans shifted with the short throws but it felt a little notchy compared to what I'm used to (95 wrangler and 69 GTO both have huge throws though.).

2: I am not a big fan of the wheels that come with the performance package but really want the suspension and limited slip (especially the limited slip). If I go to sell the rims, are they desirable to others out there? Also, how easy is it to program new rims to the TPMS?

3: One more tire related question, if I switch to different rims and tires, I assume there are handheld programmers out there to program the new tire size into the car?

Thanks all for any and all responses. I will be doing more searching on this, but it never hurts to ask. If I do this, it will be within the next 1-2 weeks as the car will need to be custom ordered which apparently can take 7-9 weeks...
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
Can't help on #1 but #2, The TPMS setting takes about 2 minutes and is extremely easy. As for old rims, I haven't been able to hardly give a set away. #3, there are tuners but it is so simple to stick with similar height tire while changing rim sizes and widths, allowing you to not change your speedo readings.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #3

I would be looking to sell the performance package rims with the summer only tires. Kind of sad that I can't custom order the car with the 18's available on the appearance package but dealer said no way. Going to try one more dealer tomorrow, but not high hopes.

The rims should be worth a decent amount? Plus I would have to buy another set of rims for winter tire use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
1. Can't really comment on this.
2. PP wheels are pretty easy to sell, all the 3.7s come with the LSD the PP only upgrades the gears from 2.73 to 3.31.
3. Yes u can fix the speedo with a tuner.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Have you actually seen the rims in person? I wasn't sure of what I thought of them in pictures but once I saw them in person the on car, I was in love. That's the one thing I got more compliments on then everything else. People LOVE them. If you've already seen them in person, basically disregard this lol.
Dhawk1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:51 AM   #6

I have yet to see them in person. No dealer in the area seems to have a PP equipped one that I have found. Maybe they would grow on me, but would still need a set for winter tires. lol
Old 08-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #7

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg View Post
I have yet to see them in person. No dealer in the area seems to have a PP equipped one that I have found. Maybe they would grow on me, but would still need a set for winter tires. lol
I am waiting on a 2014 performance pack from the factory right now. In my search for winter wheels and tires I only came across one person selling performance pack wheels, and those were the 2013's. I did however pick up stock takeoff GT wheels and pirelli all season tires for $575, so you can find a winter setup for not a (relative) ton of money.
driverm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg
Hey all, new guy here. I am looking at buying a 2014 Mustang and had a few questions. I am looking to get a v6 manual with the performance package.

Question 1: Is the trans in these reliable? I have seen the early model manuals have problems with the trans, but is that all resolved? I liked how the trans shifted with the short throws but it felt a little notchy compared to what I'm used to (95 wrangler and 69 GTO both have huge throws though.).

2: I am not a big fan of the wheels that come with the performance package but really want the suspension and limited slip (especially the limited slip). If I go to sell the rims, are they desirable to others out there? Also, how easy is it to program new rims to the TPMS?

3: One more tire related question, if I switch to different rims and tires, I assume there are handheld programmers out there to program the new tire size into the car?

Thanks all for any and all responses. I will be doing more searching on this, but it never hurts to ask. If I do this, it will be within the next 1-2 weeks as the car will need to be custom ordered which apparently can take 7-9 weeks...
1) Yes. The transmission problems in these car really are minuscule and they seem to be more prominent in the 5.0's. I really wouldn't worry about that at all. I have almost 14 k miles on my stick shift and it's had zero problems. Shifts butter smooth and I can power-shift every gear and get rubber in 1-2-3 easy
Old 08-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

1) Yes. The transmission problems in these car really are minuscule and they seem to be more prominent in the 5.0's. I really wouldn't worry about that at all. I have almost 14 k miles on my stick shift and it's had zero problems. Shifts butter smooth and I can power-shift every gear and get rubber in 1-2-3 easy
I learned to drive stick on mine and with a Barton bracket and almost 15k still awesome! My only complaint is shifting from first to second in winter can be a little bit of a challenge until she warms up but this year it won't see winter hopefully!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I learned to drive stick on mine and with a Barton bracket and almost 15k still awesome! My only complaint is shifting from first to second in winter can be a little bit of a challenge until she warms up but this year it won't see winter hopefully!
Ford issued a TSB for that (hard shift from first to second). I believe it has to do with a drain and fill with a lower viscosity fluid. Here's the TSB:

Ford issues TSB for 2011+ Mustangs to resolve cold shifting problems | Mustangs Daily
Old 08-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #11

Was driving round all day getting pricing quotes and insurance quotes. One dealer is a bit more but their service seems much better. Going to see if they will drop a bit more, but still likely go with them. Customer service is something I am big on. Will sit on it a few days and think as it will be my first big purchase like this.

Does seem like a very good vehicle for myself.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
If they really want your sale, they'll play ball. If you did not know, you can look at window stickers if they post the VINs. It makes shopping for a Ford SO much easier. There are also lots of incentives. V6's come with 2K if I recall.

Good luck!
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post
If they really want your sale, they'll play ball. If you did not know, you can look at window stickers if they post the VINs. It makes shopping for a Ford SO much easier. There are also lots of incentives. V6's come with 2K if I recall.

Good luck!
You can also get the "H" plan discount if you know someone who works for Ford. This is a friends and family plan it netted me an additional 2K off of the car. Each employee gets like (5) a year so they usually are willing to give you a code to get this discount. After all it keeps them in a job if you buy their product. Just and FYI
Shockesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Why don't you just order one without the Performance Pack and do the following:

1) Buy Ford Racing Handling Pack, It has everything.
•Rear Shocks
•Lowering Springs with jounce stops
•Front Sway Bar with bushings
•Rear Sway Bar with bushings
•Strut Tower Brace
•Front Strut Mount Upgrade

2) Get the Upgraded 18 inch Polished Chrome

3) Upgrade your Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled) and your pads.

4) Drive with the factory wheels you ordered and take your time and order what you want. If your order from American Muscle, they will also install the TMPS for you at no extra charge.

There are several people that got stuck with their factory rims and tires. No one wants them, they want custom rims and tires.

Are you getting the Premium Package? This you can't upgrade everything after you have already bought it. It's great and the insides looks great, not cheap.

As for the Electronics package and GPS, there expensive and after the warranty goes out, really expensive to fix.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang