2014 V6 manual - is a tune worth it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #1

Region: Maryland
2014 V6 manual - is a tune worth it?

In conversations with the hubby (he has a 2012 V6 automatic) I kind of took away that it may not be worth the expenditure for the results the tune gives as my car is a manual. Anybody have my model with the tune and can vouch for it? I don't want to spend the money on the tune if it doesn't make a tangible difference. Thanks in advance
Clpoag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clpoag View Post
In conversations with the hubby (he has a 2012 V6 automatic) I kind of took away that it may not be worth the expenditure for the results the tune gives as my car is a manual. Anybody have my model with the tune and can vouch for it? I don't want to spend the money on the tune if it doesn't make a tangible difference. Thanks in advance
It makes a world's difference. A tune really opened up my 3.7 manual. You can definitely feel the increase in power and all around drivability of the car.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
It makes a world's difference. A tune really opened up my 3.7 manual. You can definitely feel the increase in power and all around drivability of the car.
What Black on Boss says...

I drove my 2011 3.7 to 49K miles on its odometer; I then bought an SCT tuner and a 93 octane tune from MPT.

I don't know why I waited. I had a tune on my 2005 F150, but that was more for towing strength. My Mustang woke up with this tune.
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clpoag
It definitely is worth it. I noticed tons of down low torque increase with my bama tune, 6 spd manual. Also a bit more high end power too. Also improved my MPG's by about 2-3. Then I switched to MPT tune and noticed huge power increase across the whole RPM range.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I should also note that many of the vendors that sponser this site make good tunes as well. I chose MPT because they are literally in my backyard...I live in Central Florida, and MPT is in Longwood Florida. I met some of their support engineers at a local weekend car show.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #6

Thanks! I just wanted to be sure before I throw out the cash. I think I may hold out and do the intake/tune combo. I am hoping for better gas mileage out of both. I live literally right off of a highway and do mainly highway driving. Just took the stang on a break in (has 3k miles now) trip to Atlanta Georgia from Baltimore Maryland (660 miles one way) and got an average of 33mpg. I am shooting for hubby's highway mpg of 41mpg (extremely conservative driving. He has the CAI)
Old 08-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks! I just wanted to be sure before I throw out the cash. I think I may hold out and do the intake/tune combo. I am hoping for better gas mileage out of both. I live literally right off of a highway and do mainly highway driving. Just took the stang on a break in (has 3k miles now) trip to Atlanta Georgia from Baltimore Maryland (660 miles one way) and got an average of 33mpg. I am shooting for hubby's highway mpg of 41mpg (extremely conservative driving. He has the CAI)
41 is a long shot maybe with a lot of weight reduction. I would be happy with 33. I got right at 22mpg with the TRACKEY on my cruise up to Atlanta on Sunday in the Boss. Well that did include some spirited driving around town.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
What is the hubby driving that he gets 41 MPG? This isn't another trick MPG thing having to do with Canada's imperial gallons verses U.S. gallons is it?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
What is the hubby driving that he gets 41 MPG? This isn't another trick MPG thing having to do with Canada's imperial gallons verses U.S. gallons is it?
Lol it's prolly a Prius in Canada
Old 08-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #10

He has a 2012 V6 mustang - automatic- with a CAI. He has trained in fuel efficient driving. We recently took a highway exclusive trip (other than the one exit onto the hwy by our house and the exit off to our destination - maybe 1 mile total of city driving) and he got 41mpg using all fuel efficient driving methods. I don't have near the patience he has so I doubt I can achieve that, but I do routinely practice a lot of fuel efficient driving methods.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I've actually seen the 40's for MPG in my display, but it was when I pressed the reset button on the lower left side dash, and I was dexcellerating on a highway down ramp.....
Old 08-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've actually seen the 40's for MPG in my display, but it was when I pressed the reset button on the lower left side dash, and I was dexcellerating on a highway down ramp.....
Lmao
Old 08-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I guess I'll never ever see 41 MPG or 35MPG either

I like to drive . I really mean "I LIKE TO DRIVE" so going 45MPH in a 60MPH zone, Taking off so slow from a stop Light or sign that you annoy the cars behind you is not my idea of fun driving. I like to just worry free drive my Mustang and enjoy the power and sounds of my Magnaflow's.

I did get 34 MPG on a trip but sure was not trying. All interstate at a steady 70/75mph on 87 octane but usually only get around 23 to 26 around town.

If I want good MPG I'll get a Toyota Prius.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Maybe he just doesn't want you to have the faster Stang
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I like to drive . I really mean "I LIKE TO DRIVE" so going 45MPH in a 60MPH zone, Taking off so slow from a stop Light or sign that you annoy the cars behind you is not my idea of fun driving. I like to just worry free drive my Mustang and enjoy the power and sounds of my Magnaflow's.

I did get 34 MPG on a trip but sure was not trying. All interstate at a steady 70/75mph on 87 octane but usually only get around 23 to 26 around town.

If I want good MPG I'll get a Toyota Prius.

Ronnie
Well said Ronnie
Old 08-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #16
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Have you seen Ronnies right foot? He wears a size 10 on the left, and a size 14 on his right!
Old 08-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #17

I find that when I use premium I get better results. We have a membership to BJs which knocks the price down close to what other stations sell regular for. The cost evens out with the increased mpg. I am trying to get used to the mustang as I am a VW convert. I have had GTIs for the past 10yrs so I am in a completely different world with this car.

I don't drive so slow as to inconvenience others. However, I do launch slowly and get through gears quickly. The speed limit on the hwy we travel most is only 55mph so it's ideal for fuel efficient driving. By my calculations, if I can jump from 25mpg to 40mpg, I will save approximately $900/yr in fuel costs (assuming an average of 15k miles per year and average fuel cost of 3.80/gal). That savings is totally worth driving a bit slower.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
I find that when I use premium I get better results. We have a membership to BJs which knocks the price down close to what other stations sell regular for. The cost evens out with the increased mpg. I am trying to get used to the mustang as I am a VW convert. I have had GTIs for the past 10yrs so I am in a completely different world with this car.

I don't drive so slow as to inconvenience others. However, I do launch slowly and get through gears quickly. The speed limit on the hwy we travel most is only 55mph so it's ideal for fuel efficient driving. By my calculations, if I can jump from 25mpg to 40mpg, I will save approximately $900/yr in fuel costs (assuming an average of 15k miles per year and average fuel cost of 3.80/gal). That savings is totally worth driving a bit slower.

arghh...a slow Mustang? Say it ain't so
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 08-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #19

I like the option of being able to pass the Prius if I choose, yet also not have to fill up 1-2x a week. I didn't buy the car to go balls to the walls every time I got in - that's a bit on the juvenile side for my taste.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I like the option of being able to pass the Prius if I choose, yet also not have to fill up 1-2x a week. I didn't buy the car to go balls to the walls every time I got in - that's a bit on the juvenile side for my taste.
I must be juvenile then
Old 08-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #21
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
I must be juvenile then
^+1 .....and I'm 63 and still rockin it
Old 08-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:

YOU DON'T BUY A MUSTANG TO DRIVE SLOW OR FUEL ECONOMY!!!!!!
With that being said. Have fun and welcome to the world of Ford muscle
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:30 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post

YOU DON'T BUY A MUSTANG TO DRIVE SLOW OR FUEL ECONOMY!!!!!!
With that being said. Have fun and welcome to the world of Ford muscle
that's just not why you bought it. I could by a Ferrari and just park it if I wanted to
RocknCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:03 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
These cars are meant to be driven

JS :p
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:52 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Agreed. Drive it like you stole it! Lol
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #26
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Amen. I drive like I'm being chased.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Mine will go up to 70mpg before it works its way back down to 22 combined. It takes awhile to reset at highway speed. That's why I reset at fillup.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #28
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
Mine will go up to 70mpg before it works its way back down to 22 combined. It takes awhile to reset at highway speed. That's why I reset at fillup.
Yep. Thats what all the gas mileage calculators recommend.

I had a SCANGUAGE Plus mounted in my 2005 F150 STX. It's instructions always recommended that you used the same pump, and pumped the gas at the same time frame (always pump either in the morning or afternoon) for the best acurate results. I was never that anal with it though!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang