Opinion on price of GT500 spoiler and stripes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Opinion on price of GT500 spoiler and stripes

I just placed an order for a Grabber Blue V6 Premium with scoops and louver option package. I had the dealer add on a GT500 spoiler and the Shelby 10" dual racing stripes in flat black. The spoiler and Ford correct stripes installed are $1700. That seemed a bit high for me but I was told by another dealer it would be even higher than that.. Anyone have any personal knowledge on what a decent dealer price for that set up is? The car itself will be 24K plus the dealer add ons
Starsky007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Don't know about the stripes, but yes that sounds about right for dealer added options. I saw where one of my locals added $99 for nitrogen-filled tires to each Mustang on the lot. BS.

$329 for the pre-painted GT500 spoiler from AM (I don't work for them but am a satisfied customer).

Mustang GT500 Style Rear Spoiler - Pre-painted (10-14 All)
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Sounds right. These are dealer installed options, so you are at the mercy of what they charge, and not Ford.

Is this price being financed into the car contract? If so, you'll be paying even more for those dealer options.
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Sounds right. These are dealer installed options, so you are at the mercy of what they charge, and not Ford.

Is this price being financed into the car contract? If so, you'll be paying even more for those dealer options.
Thanks... I'm weighing the convenience and quality of having it done at the dealership verses the money saved doing it aftermarket. If it were just a single graphic I'd do it myself. And yes, I will be financing it in the contract at 1.29 apr. I'm putting about 6 grand down so it's kind of a wash. If I used part of the down payment to pay for the mods it would work out the same.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky007 View Post
I just placed an order for a Grabber Blue V6 Premium with scoops and louver option package. I had the dealer add on a GT500 spoiler and the Shelby 10" dual racing stripes in flat black. The spoiler and Ford correct stripes installed are $1700. That seemed a bit high for me but I was told by another dealer it would be even higher than that.. Anyone have any personal knowledge on what a decent dealer price for that set up is? The car itself will be 24K plus the dealer add ons
Wow. I work a dealer and now I see the my discounts for ford parts is significant. I can't say how much I got them for but it's a whole of a lot less than that.
BryanGTR169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

If you ordered the car and haven't paid for it, tell them NO! Order want you want and you can buy and have those options installed a lot cheaper.

Dealers are really bad about adding options to raise the price. When I test drove my V6, I went in to see the salesman. He quoted me another $$700+. I asked what was the additional money for. He said the stripe package and the Auto-Start. I looked at him and went out to check the car. Neither have even been added yet. They also added tinted window ($349 installed, actual cost $159 and Undercoating, $100 actual cost, $25, is what I gave them. They even tried to tell me their cost was $50. I paid $25.).

I also told them to remove the tinting. The tinting would have been Illegal Under Arizona and California law. SInce I used to live in CA, I still go out to visit.

If they didn't like the deal, I told them order me a new car and you can keep this one. They finally got rid of the other crap.

If they didn't want to sell me that car, they could order me a new one. I also floated the idea, their are at least 10 Ford Dealerships within driving distance. I can always go order a car from them.

Check your local are for people who do pin striping and window tinting. They might even be able to install your spoiler. I don't like pay the dealer $70+ per hour.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

If you ordered the car and haven't paid for it, tell them NO! Order want you want and you can buy and have those options installed a lot cheaper.

Dealers are really bad about adding options to raise the price. When I test drove my V6, I went in to see the salesman. He quoted me another $$700+. I asked what was the additional money for. He said the stripe package and the Auto-Start. I looked at him and went out to check the car. Neither have even been added yet. They also added tinted window ($349 installed, actual cost $159 and Undercoating, $100 actual cost, $25, is what I gave them. They even tried to tell me their cost was $50. I paid $25.).

I also told them to remove the tinting. The tinting would have been Illegal Under Arizona and California law. SInce I used to live in CA, I still go out to visit.

If they didn't like the deal, I told them order me a new car and you can keep this one. They finally got rid of the other crap.

If they didn't want to sell me that car, they could order me a new one. I also floated the idea, their are at least 10 Ford Dealerships within driving distance. I can always go order a car from them.

Check your local are for people who do pin striping and window tinting. They might even be able to install your spoiler. I don't like pay the dealer $70+ per hour.
+1, I drove an hour and a half further because my local dealer tried the same thing with me. I told him I wanted just a base because I was going to do the upgrades and rust proofing etc myself. Way cheaper doing after the fact than with ford. Get this....600$ for rust proofing that lasts 4 years! No thanks. Lol. I found a dealer that got me just what I wanted!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

+1, I drove an hour and a half further because my local dealer tried the same thing with me. I told him I wanted just a base because I was going to do the upgrades and rust proofing etc myself. Way cheaper doing after the fact than with ford. Get this....600$ for rust proofing that lasts 4 years! No thanks. Lol. I found a dealer that got me just what I wanted!
I can get the stripes from American muscle and have them installed by Someone I don't know has ever done the Shelby striping before for around $460. If he screws it up there is no guarantee they will buy the stripes and try again. I have been screwed over by body shops before. Or I can have the guy at the Ford dealership who has done several do them for $800 And if he screws up it comes out of their pocket they fix it.

I can get the spoiler for 329+ installation. Since it is coming without a spoiler holes will need to be drilled. I am not comfortable drilling holes so I would have to pay someone to do. Not having a body shop I know very well makes it a roll of the dice on proper istallation. I would estimate installation of the spoiler at around $200.

So I am at roughly $1000 for install of the stripes and the spoiler with aftermarket similar spoiler and stripes, By unknown entities.. Verses $1700 By the Ford dealership when it comes in off the truck. Is $700 worth peace of mind and no effort on my part.. I guess that is the question I need to answer
3.31 gears
On order
Old 08-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Are you somewhat handy? I never did stripes before nor installed a spoiler before, and trust me I was a little nervous about drilling holes also, but its really not that hard to do either one if your handy. If your gonna pay someone almost 800$ to install them you could buy the stripes 6 times over. Also once you have done it once you could go ahead and change you them every couple of years for next to nothing! In two years I'm gonna go Boss 302 look in matte black and just have to buy the stripes. The spoiler took about 3hrs to do. Like I said if your a little handy, don't be intimidated, its not as hard as it might seem and its so nice to be able to do it yourself! Besides it saves you a truck load of $$$$$$! So all in all it cost me 450$ - the 6% forum discount. 1250$ left over for more mods! Just saying.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Or... you could roll the dice. Buy all of the parts and install them yourself. Dont be afraid to drill a few holes. The spoiler will probably come with a template for installation. For $789 you can have what the dealer wants to charge you $1700 for. Let's say you screw up on the stripes and have to redo them. Now you're at $1249. Still saving $450.
You have a valid point: Is it worth the hassle to save a few bucks? Only you can answer that question...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Or... you could roll the dice. Buy all of the parts and install them yourself. Dont be afraid to drill a few holes. The spoiler will probably come with a template for installation. For $789 you can have what the dealer wants to charge you $1700 for. Let's say you screw up on the stripes and have to redo them. Now you're at $1249. Still saving $450.
You have a valid point: Is it worth the hassle to save a few bucks? Only you can answer that question...
Not even 789, more like 329 for the spoiler and 114 for the stripes. That's only 450 minus the 6% forum discount. He can re buy the stripes a bunch of times, order axbacks, tuner and still have a couple of bucks left over to go out for dinner! Lol. He wouldn't just be saving a few bucks its more like 1200$ bucks if he does it himself!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Find a reputable body shop in your area. They could probably install both. $800 for stripes? Does that come with K Y Jelly or is that a Dry Screwing?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

Find a reputable body shop in your area. They could probably install both. $800 for stripes? Does that come with K Y Jelly or is that a Dry Screwing?
Lmfao!!!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Lol. I thought the stripes price was kind of high. That was probably with installation...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol. I thought the stripes price was kind of high. That was probably with installation...
It is.. Apparently Ford is VERY proud of their Shelby stripes..

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

Not even 789, more like 329 for the spoiler and 114 for the stripes. That's only 450 minus the 6% forum discount. He can re buy the stripes a bunch of times, order axbacks, tuner and still have a couple of bucks left over to go out for dinner! Lol. He wouldn't just be saving a few bucks its more like 1200$ bucks if he does it himself!
Where did you find stripes for $114? The Shelby style blk matte kit w rocker stripes is a bit more than that on the AM site
3.31 gears
On order
Old 08-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky007 View Post

It is.. Apparently Ford is VERY proud of their Shelby stripes..

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Where did you find stripes for $114? The Shelby style blk matte kit w rocker stripes is a bit more than that on the AM site
Sorry, 114$ for the gt 500 stripes and 49$ for the rocker stripes. I don't see a Shelby kit on AM? Oh I see it now, 5$ cheaper at 159$

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang